Pro Wrestling Open Thread

Brad_ATX

Love it is on cable now.  Hate that it's at the same time as AEW. On demand it is lol. 

17 hours ago, Auburnfan91 said:

Now WWE is moving NXT to the USA Network

Pisses me off because Vince is also going to start running it. NXT was the best brand WWE had. It will be a watered down version now.

• Angry 1

Yea that sucks.  I think Paul has more than proved himself that he can take NXT to the next level.  Vince can't get out of the way of his ego.

RARE NWA 'SUPERSTARS OF THE SUPERSTATION' TV SPECIAL COMING TO WWE NETWORK TOMORROW

By Paul Jordan on 2019-08-21 16:17:00

WWE Network News is reporting that tomorrow's "Hidden Gem" will be February 7, 1986, NWA "Superstars On the Superstation" special that aired on TBS. The 90-minute special which was shot from the Omni in Atlanta, Georgia featured the following matches:

*NWA World Tag Team Title: The Rock ‘n’ Roll Express (Ricky Morton & Robert Gibson) (c) vs. The Midnight Express (Bobby Eaton & Dennis Condrey).

*The Road Warriors (Road Warrior Animal & Road Warrior Hawk) vs. The Russians (Ivan Koloff & Nikita Koloff).

*NWA National Heavyweight Title: Dusty Rhodes (c) vs. Tully Blanchard.

*NWA World Heavyweight Title Match: Ric Flair (c) vs. Ron Garvin

I still haven’t checked out AEW yet.  I was hoping CM Punk was gonna join but it sounds like he may be done wrestling.  He is trying to get the Friday night smack down gig.

AEW confirmed their TV broadcast team will consist of Schiavone, Jim Ross and Excalibur

Good. Marvez, or whatever his name is, was awful.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, ellitor said:

Good. Marvez, or whatever his name is, was awful.

Yep, I am very satisfied with that new tandem.  At one time that was the WCW and WWE PXP announcers during the Monday Night Wars. AEW has both now on the same broadcast team. And Excalibur is great too.  Incredible. 

Figured I would put this here. You will see the reference. Wow.

I could watch Young Bucks vs Lucha Bros all day. Both groups are exceptional. Some moves were just plain out sick!  Awesome. 

6 hours ago, AUBwins said:

Everyone watch All Out yet? Trying not to give spoilers. 

Missed it.  Went to the game and have been entertaining parents in town.  Read spoilers though and looked like a good show.

23 minutes ago, Brad_ATX said:

Missed it.  Went to the game and have been entertaining parents in town.  Read spoilers though and looked like a good show.

I thought the show was a lot better than the previous 2, which as you mentioned should have been since this was a true PPV event. The pace was a lot better throughout.  Not just all frantic. The Jericho vs Hangman match was great. Sort of a methodical attack on both sides with a little action at times to get the crowd going.  Speaking of which, the crowd was lit as they say today.  Just eating up everything thrown at them, reacting with chants and excitement at every turn.  Made the viewing experience feel like I was there myself at times. 

Lucha Bros vs Young Bucks ladder match delivered again, but actually started to get a little sloppy with execution.  I actually think one of the Bucks (Nick I think? ) got hurt on a miss fall.  He set up two tables outside ring side by side.  He was later being pushed off the ladder to land on them but his foot clipped the rope and came down quicker than anticipated onto the first table with his head clipping the 2nd. He was immediately bleeding on his arm from the metal bracing under the broken table.  Also had a Canadian destroyer from ladder through a table and more.  The sickest move for me was a sling blade of the ladder by Pentagon. He was on one side of ladder, came around the ladder to take a buck off onto the mat.  Afterwards both tag teams were joined by a masked tag team, which revealed themselves as former LAX, but will be a new name in AEW.

PAC vs Omega was very good as well.  Of course Moxley was injured and couldn't face Kenny but Pac gave a great match. 

My favorite moment was Arn Andersen make an appearance to give Shawn Spears the Arn spinebuster in the middle of the ring.  The significance of that was he was the former tag partner if Tully Blanchard who was at ringside helping Spears.

Overall solid event with some build to the live shows coming up.  The tag division is just ridiculous and the live shows will start with tag tournament to showcase all the teams. 

Edited by AUBwins
  • Thanks 1

On 9/1/2019 at 1:44 PM, AUBwins said:

You will see the reference.

I don't unless you are somehow referencing the way the punter was tackled?

On 9/2/2019 at 11:05 PM, AUBwins said:

PAC vs Omega was very good as well

It was underwhelming to me & that was my most anticipated match

My favorite moment was Arn Andersen make an appearance to give Shawn Spears the Arn spinebuster in the middle of the ring

Loved it!

The tag division is just ridiculous

Especially now with LAX in AEW. AEW now arguably has 4 of the top 10 tag teams in the world on roster.

Still disappointed in the women's division although there is some nice spots to their matches.

Looks like Jericho already lost the belt ... SMH.

jericho-aew-title.jpg

EDk7jHtXoAA6EYE.jpeg

On 2nd thought I wonder if this is a work since Y2J doesn't have a clear cut challenger right now?

2 hours ago, ellitor said:

I don't unless you are somehow referencing the way the punter was tackled?

Yea the spear is what I was referring to.  The headline of the video on CBS referenced punter tackles, WWE style.  That title didn't make it over. Either way that spear was brutal. 

It was underwhelming to me & that was my most anticipated match

Loved it!

Especially now with LAX in AEW. AEW now arguably has 4 of the top 10 tag teams in the world on roster.

Still disappointed in the women's division although there is some nice spots to their matches.

I didn't know what to expect in PAC.  I never saw him wrestle as an Indie, or really even at WWE. It may be more of our differences in expectation for the differing opinions.  He surprised me and underwhelmed you. 

I do hope they look to bring more name value to women's division.  Still need a big name. 

On 2nd thought I wonder if this is a work since Y2J doesn't have a clear cut challenger right now?

Not sure on the strategy if so.  It comes across as a negative press ahead of the live shows to me. I saw in later articles that they have a "2nd belt". So you could be right. 

It may be more of our differences in expectation for the differing opinions

Given how great both are the match had sloppy moments with both having botches. I commend both men but it definitely looked like a match thrown together at the last minute,  which it basically was. 

• Like 1

Not sure on the strategy if so.  It comes across as a negative press ahead of the live shows to me. I saw in later articles that they have a "2nd belt". So you could be right. 

I could easily be wrong but what made me think it’s a work is the AEW Twitter account making a promo out of the situation as if it was planned.