Pro Wrestling Open Thread

Brad_ATX

2 hours ago, McLoofus said:

82, wow. He beat the odds, some might say. RIP

well said loofy.

• Like 1

On 4/7/2018 at 11:13 PM, Brad_ATX said:

Holy crap NXT Takeover was AMAZING tonight!   Mania stands no chance of matching that show.

That's because Triple H runs NXT while Vince runs Raw & Smackdown

• Like 1
  • Love 1

2 minutes ago, ellitor said:

That's because Triple H runs NXT while Vince runs Raw & Smackdown

BAAAAAAAANGOOO!!!!!

c.gif

On 4/9/2018 at 11:06 AM, Brad_ATX said:

- Can't believe they killed Asuka's streak!  I was convinced that honor was going to Rousey, but it looks like they are building to Charlotte vs Rousey to headline next year.

Not me. I knew one way or the other Charlotte or Carmella was going to end the streak that night.

Also Styles-Shinsuke should have stolen the show but like everything else WWE does their match pails in comparison to the one they had in NJPW a few years ago.

Edited by ellitor
  • Like 2

• 3 weeks later...
1 hour ago, Brad_ATX said:

Everything about this ppv besides the opening match suckkkedddd

SETH FREAKING ROLLINS BABY!!!!!!!!!! MONDAY NIGHT ROLLINS!!!!!!!!!!!!!! samoe joe vs roman was one of the worst matches I have ever seen. nak nak vs styles was awesome and amazing!!! THEY ABSOLUTELY MADE THE WRONG CALL with the finish!!!! HOLY CRAP!! KNOW YOUR AUDIENCE!!!!!

Finn Balor!!!! Gets the spot in qualifier! Entertaining finish.  

20 hours ago, GwillMac6 said:

SETH FREAKING ROLLINS BABY!!!!!!!!!! MONDAY NIGHT ROLLINS!!!!!!!!!!!!!! samoe joe vs roman was one of the worst matches I have ever seen. nak nak vs styles was awesome and amazing!!! THEY ABSOLUTELY MADE THE WRONG CALL with the finish!!!! HOLY CRAP!! KNOW YOUR AUDIENCE!!!!!

I love this fighting champion approach by Seth Freakin Rollins. I like what I have seen from him.  

• Love 1

3 hours ago, AUBwins said:

I love this fighting champion approach by Seth Freakin Rollins. I like what I have seen from him.  

when he is healthy and they let him GO in the ring he is THE BEST IN THE WORLD!!!!!!!! his ceiling is higher than styles even though styles has been consistently better the last couple of years.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, GwillMac6 said:

when he is healthy and they let him GO in the ring he is THE BEST IN THE WORLD!!!!!!!! his ceiling is higher than styles even though styles has been consistently better the last couple of years.

The WWE has done well with Styles. He has grown so much since the TNA days. 

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, AUBwins said:

the worst thing I can say about styles is his HAIR IN WWE IS AWFUL!!!!! as jericho said it is the soccer mom haircut!!!! hahaha. It has got to go!!!

3 hours ago, AUBwins said:

They've done well with him, but he was a finished product when he got to WWE.  All they had to do was stay out of the way and let him shine.  His run in NJPW was spectacular.

• Like 1
  • Love 1

• 2 weeks later...

Wow.  Fox just bought the rights to Smackdown for 5 years/$1B starting in October 2019.  Looks like it will get moved back to Fridays too.

• Love 1

1 minute ago, Brad_ATX said:

Wow.  Fox just bought the rights to Smackdown for 5 years/$1B starting in October 2019.  Looks like it will get moved back to Fridays too.

AND THAT IT WILL AIR ON THE MAIN NETWORK!!!!!!!! WOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! This is the biggest coup for WWE IN A LONG TIME!!!!! Airing on a main network?!? ON BROADCAST T.V.!?!? WE MADE IT BOYS!!! And I love it happened to smackdown and not raw! This will force vinny mac to keep the smackdown roster strong since we allllllllllll know how he loves to unfairly stack the deck against it usually through the years!!! I am a blue brand guy myself so I am so elated.

Tony Maglio | May 21, 2018 @ 9:20 AMLast Updated: May 21, 2018 @ 9:49 AM

WWE and Fox Sports are currently closing a deal for “SmackDown” to shift to the Fox broadcast channel in Fall 2019, TheWrap has learned exclusively. The popular pro-wrestling show will air there on Fridays, a person with knowledge of the deal told us.

The weekly sister series to WWE’s “Raw” currently airs live each Tuesday from 8-10 p.m. on USA Network. It has aired pre-taped on both Thursdays and Fridays in the past.

This won’t be “SmackDown’s” first time on broadcast — the 19-year-old show used to air on UPN, then The CW, then MyNetworkTV, before heading to NBCUniversal’s Syfy and, ultimately, USA.

WWE and Fox Sports both declined comment on this story when reached by TheWrap.

Comcast, which owns NBCU and thus USA, will maintain Monday series “Raw.”

The pricey rights to the two most popular weekly professional wrestling shows have been on the auctioneer’s block for a few months now. Simultaneously, those platforms interested in live sporting events and a young male demo have also been bidding on UFC packages.

0:15 AM PDT 5/21/2018 by Marisa Guthrie

The new deal, which is nearing completion, is expected to begin in October 2019, and will mark a three-fold increase over what NBCUniversal is currently paying.

Fox will be the anticipated home of WWE SmackDown Live in a massive new five-year deal worth more than $1 billion, sources close to the negotiations tell The Hollywood Reporter. The new deal, which is nearing completion and is worth $205 million annually, is expected to begin in October 2019, and will mark a three-fold increase over what NBCUniversal is currently paying WWE to air SmackDown on its USA network.

WWE is said to have had an even higher bid from a third party - and enthusiastic interest overall. But WWE executives are said to have embraced Fox's commitment to heavily promote SmackDown across a robust sports portfolio that includes the NFL and Major League Baseball.

The deal would split WWE programming rights with NBC, which is expected to retain Raw. Smack is averaging 2.59 million viewers a week so far this year, while Raw is pulling about 3 million. Both programs currently air on USA. And the WWE had a significant part in the network's May 14 upfront presentation to advertisers with Stephanie McMahon, WWE's chief brand officer, introducing several female wrestlers including former UFC star Ronda Rousey. 

The Fox deal dovetails with the Murdoch-controlled network’s anticipated programming pivot in the wake of the Disney acquisition of much of 21st Century Fox assets. “New Fox” as its been quasi officially dubbed, will include the Fox broadcast network and owned stations, Fox News and Fox Sports, which includes cable nets FS1 and FS2 as well as the Big Ten Network. And Fox's May 14 upfront presentation to advertisers unveiled a shift away from edgy, urbane fare toward broad programming with appeal beyond coastal confines to middle America. The network will spend more than $3 billion for five seasons of Thursday Night Football, and already shells out more than $1 billion annually for its top-rated Sunday NFL package, which runs through 2022.

It’s unclear what effect if any, the WWE deal will have on Fox Sports’ calculation in renewing its UFC rights package, which expires at the end of the year. The Endeavor-owned promotion recently finalized a $750 million deal with ESPN+, the Disney-owned sports giants’ still nascent OTT service. And sources close to that deal have told THR that Fox is willing to pay about $175 million annually for the MMA promotion. 

NBCUniversal has had rights to SmackDown since 2010; at the time, the company is reported to have paid about $30 million for the franchise. The show began airing that year on Syfy, with corporate sibling USA heavily promoting it. SmackDown moved full time to USA in January 2016, as the cable network home to Mr. Robot and The Sinner aired all three WWE shows: SmackDown, Raw and Tough Enough. It marked the first time that the top three shows were broadcast on the same network. SmackDown started airing live in May 2016, increasing the value for advertising during the wrestling show. At the time, USA aired five hours of live WWE programming a week; WWE programming currently airs two nights a week on USA. (Raw aired solo on USA from 2005 to 2016.)

SmackDown still boasts the sixth biggest audience among cable originals (including news programming), at a time when programmers are desperate for content that viewers will consume live.

WWE's stock price is at $53 a share upon today's news.  It was $8 just a few years ago.  I desperately wanted to buy in at $8 but didn't have the money to pull a big enough trade to make it worth it.  Wish I had found a way now.

• Sad 1

1 minute ago, Brad_ATX said:

WWE's stock price is at $53 a share upon today's news.  It was $8 just a few years ago.  I desperately wanted to buy in at $8 but didn't have the money to pull a big enough trade to make it worth it.  Wish I had found a way now.

I have no clue whatsoever how the stock market works and all of that! Could you please explain it for a simpleton like me! lol

25 minutes ago, GwillMac6 said:

I have no clue whatsoever how the stock market works and all of that! Could you please explain it for a simpleton like me! lol

If he'd bought 1,000 shares of WWE stock for $8,000 "just a few years ago", he could sell it for $53,000 today. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

34 minutes ago, GwillMac6 said:

What Loof said.  It was $8 a share shortly before the WWE Network was announced as coming into existence.  Given the diversification of product (live events, toys, tv revenue, streaming, and movie production), it seemed like a good idea back then to invest before the network fully took off.  Unfortunately, I had zero money to do so with it.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Brad_ATX said:

What Loof said.  It was $8 a share shortly before the WWE Network was announced as coming into existence.  Given the diversification of product (live events, toys, tv revenue, streaming, and movie production), it seemed like a good idea back then to invest before the network fully took off.  Unfortunately, I had zero money to do so with it.  

thank you @McLoofus and mr brad!! Y'all have been extremely hopeful. WOW!!! as JR says business has certainly picked up for the E on the stock exchange! MERRRRRRRCY that is a huge uptick.

• Like 1

On 5/8/2018 at 7:16 AM, AUBwins said:

You can thank NJPW & The Bullet Club for that in his time between TNA & WWE.

• Like 2

On 5/8/2018 at 2:28 AM, GwillMac6 said:

his ceiling is higher than styles

Not sure about that. I think AJ has forgotten more innovative offensive moves he used fluently in his career than Seth will ever use. Example spiral tap.

styles has been consistently better the last couple of years. 

If what you know of AJ is the past 2 years then you have missed a lot. He has arguably been the best in ring performer the past decade at minimum. He may be the best now and his prime was 5-6 years ago.

THE BEST IN THE WORLD!!!!!!!!

IMO AJ & Kenny Omega in NJPW are battling for that honor right now. Don't get me wrong. Seth is one of the best in the world, arguably top 5. I just think AJ & Kenny are on another level.

4 minutes ago, ellitor said:

Not sure about that. I think AJ has forgotten more innovative offensive moves he used fluently in his career than Seth will ever use. Example spiral tap.

If what you know of AJ is the past 2 years then you have missed a lot. He has arguably been the best in ring performer the past decade at minimum. He may be the best now and his prime was 5-6 years ago.

IMO AJ & Kenny Omega in NJPW are battling for that honor right now. Don't get me wrong. Seth is one of the best in the world, arguably top 5. I just think AJ & Kenny are on another level.

Not just the past 2 years. I said 2 years because that is how long Seth has been in a drought. He just recently got back to the level he was at in the ring before that nasty injury. The most improved aspect of AJ from ROH and TNA is his promo work. He was so boring in TNA to me. I did not like anything about him then besides his In ring work. I think Seth has a more fun exciting high flying style that gives him more upside.  Both are amazing mat and technical wrestlers as well with incredible move sets. I would say the best pure in ring wrestler this past decade has been Daniel Bryan. AJ is def up at the top somewhere for sure. 

Edited by GwillMac6
  • Like 1

46 minutes ago, GwillMac6 said:

Not just the past 2 years. I said 2 years because that is how long Seth has been in a drought. He just recently got back to the level he was at in the ring before that nasty injury. The most improved aspect of AJ from ROH and TNA is his promo work. He was so boring in TNA to me. I did not like anything about him then besides his In ring work. I think Seth has a more fun exciting high flying style that gives him more upside.  Both are amazing mat and technical wrestlers as well with incredible move sets. I would say the best pure in ring wrestler this past decade has been Daniel Bryan. AJ is def up at the top somewhere for sure. 

65lI.gif

• Haha 1