Pro Wrestling Open Thread

Brad_ATX

9 hours ago, AUBwins said:

It was live, but you probably already know that now. FTR vs Lucha Bros was awesome.  Who did you bet in the All Star race? I was stoked that Chase won. 

I do the draft kings thing where you pick 5 drivers and have to stay within a salary cap.  Kurt Busch wrecking early did me in.  I saw a little bit of the FTR Lucha match but will have to rewatch.  Saw the Luchas mess up a move but I’m sure the rest was good.  My one complaint with AEW is sometimes they get too cute with some of the moves.  I thought Mox and Cages match was good old school wrestling but wasn’t crazy about the ending.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Win4AU said:

I do the draft kings thing where you pick 5 drivers and have to stay within a salary cap.  Kurt Busch wrecking early did me in.  I saw a little bit of the FTR Lucha match but will have to rewatch.  Saw the Luchas mess up a move but I’m sure the rest was good.  My one complaint with AEW is sometimes they get too cute with some of the moves.  I thought Mox and Cages match was good old school wrestling but wasn’t crazy about the ending.

They scaled back a lot with the cuteness from the startup episodes, but there have been some miscalculations in recent weeks.  I think it could be related to time off or even the outdoor venue.  The Cage ending is all a setup to get Cage ticked at Taz. I think he goes on his own soon.  He doesn't need Taz, but just a way to build him quickly for a month. 

I’m not crazy about this Darby Cage angle.  What makes wrestling great is when they make something fake look believable.  Nothing believable about Cage not killing Darby if they wrestled.

On 7/22/2020 at 10:18 PM, Win4AU said:

I’m not crazy about this Darby Cage angle.  What makes wrestling great is when they make something fake look believable.  Nothing believable about Cage not killing Darby if they wrestled.

I think they are more setting up Darby vs Starks. 

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

I did not appreciate JR dropping a GD when they attacked Morton. I have never heard that on a wrestling broadcast. If they make a habit of it, I will no longer watch AEW.

On 8/12/2020 at 10:10 PM, ArgoEagle said:

I did not appreciate JR dropping a GD when they attacked Morton. I have never heard that on a wrestling broadcast. If they make a habit of it, I will no longer watch AEW.

Wow, I didn't even catch that. If that's what he said, I'm sure he let that slip or it won't be a habit.  I agree that has no place in any broadcast. I don't think it belongs anywhere actually. 

9 hours ago, AUBwins said:

Wow, I didn't even catch that. If that's what he said, I'm sure he let that slip or it won't be a habit.  I agree that has no place in any broadcast. I don't think it belongs anywhere actually. 

Totally agree. I know that cursing is being allowed in pro wrestling to try to juice up the ratings, but that's one I can't personally accept. I have not watched a single inning of MLB, nor have I watched a single second of the NBA because of the kneeling garbage. I wish the whole sports world would just go back to providing wholesome family entertainment and leave out the political ramifications and all the profanity that has become acceptable. Rant over.

• Like 1

South Carolina Man tries to steal spotlight from Florida Man, goes to Florida to do it.

South Carolina man accused of trying to kidnap WWE star

Phillip A. Thomas II, 24, of Cordesville, South Carolina, was arrested early Sunday for attempting to carry out the plot, the Hillsborough County Sheriff's Office said in a news release.

The sheriffs office did not identify the victim, but home where Thomas was arrested is owned by Daria Berenato, whose stage name is Sonya Deville. She performs for WWE and stars in the E! cable channel reality TV series Total Divas.

46 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

South Carolina Man tries to steal spotlight from Florida Man, goes to Florida to do it.

She would have kicked his arse. She also came from MMA background before that. 

• Like 2

Just a personal opinion but I feel like Raw and Smackdown have been better the past couple weeks.  You can definitely see Pritchards influence.  The Flair Orton angle was the best thing they’ve done since the pandemic started.  The profits poisoning angle is pretty good.  That being said I could care less about the.underground and retribution angles.  Retribution especially doesn’t peak my interest at all.  If they really wanted them to have an impact they’d take out a top star.  Beating up tv guys and enhancements outside the plexy glass is hardly intimidating or interesting.  Really some great heal work right now with Rollins, Orton, and Bray/Braun.  AEW doesn’t have any real heels that can match these guys.  MJF is closest but he’s more of a Mr. Perfect/Rick Rude type heel.  As much comedy as intimidation.

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/28/2020 at 8:03 AM, Paladin said:

Southern Rasslin Legend "Bullet" Bob Armstrong has died.

That was great. I watched Bullet Bob in action in person quite a few times in Bham. I would list him as one of the top 5 interviewees of all time, right along with Rick Flair and Dusty Rhodes.👍

• Like 1
  • Love 1

• 2 weeks later...

MIRO IS ALL ELITE!!!!!!! YES!!!!!!! MIRO (Rusev) DAY!  And he told WWE to shove it! Lol

• 2 weeks later...

That parking lot fight on Dynamite was fantastic fun, especially with the way Orange got involved.  Oh and who can discount Sue after the match lol.  

Really enjoyed Hangman vs Kazarian as well.  Good match.  

I know there is a working relationship with NWA at the moment but again would love ThunderRosa to be on Dynamite full time.  She's fantastic.  They've gotten some solid talent lately that has improved the outlook.  Need the big Fish to elevate it though.  ThunderRosa would be a step in that direction.  I like the Tay Conti, Diamante,  Irrelise? additions, and I think they will give Abadon a big push once later this year.  She is lighting it up on Dark,  scary scary looking heel that could be great TV with a push.  As much as I want her, I don't think Tessa is coming. The division is too light for her right now.  She likely wants better established competition.  But we'll see.  

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

AEW put on some good shows lately. Love the renewed focus on Omega. Hangman versus Omega at full gear was fantastic. Best I’ve seen Adam wrestle. Finish was perfect.  The entire show was great. Of course Young Bucks and FTR delivered. Loved the throwback moves from all the great tag teams. 

I thought the decision to include the women of NWA was a brilliant move by AEW.  There have been some good matches and starting to see some storyline with the NWA title. Strengthens the appearance of the women’s division and may/should lead to some new additions to AEW roster in the future (please Thunderosa!) Could this give a reason for the biggest fish out there to join (Tessa)? Time to build storyline and competition for Shida before this division can take off. 

Kingston has been fantastic in his role. Excited to see what happens with PAC and Kingston. Glad PAC is back!

Looking forward to more good wrestling. 

• 3 weeks later...
55 minutes ago, ellitor said:

Got Chills GIFs - Get the best GIF on GIPHY

Growing up in the late 80s early 90s I was Hogan 1a.  Sting 1b.  I’m still partial to colorful sting but tonight was pretty awesome.  His WWE stint was pretty disappointing a couple years ago so I hope AEW does him right.  I am confused though because last I heard he broke his neck against Rollins and is one bad bump from bad things happening.  

STING COMING BACK WAS AWESOME!!!!!

Multi year contract for Sting. Not a part timer.  Wednesday show was nuts! Loved it. Now interpromotion wrestling between Impact and AEW?!  Possibly some NJPW as well (speculation). AEW has already brought the women's division more appeal with the NWA.

23 hours ago, Paladin said:

Love the snow effect! Hope they keep it.  It was probably just with the Winter theme. 

21 hours ago, Win4AU said:

Growing up in the late 80s early 90s I was Hogan 1a.  Sting 1b.

@Win4AU Same.

His WWE stint was pretty disappointing a couple years ago so I hope AEW does him right.

Some of that had to do with him getting injured in his program with Seth Rollins. Pretty sure they were going to use him more. The Wrestlemania match with HHH & the NWO DX storyline they made it into & Vince getting 1 last dig into WCW was straight garbage though.

I am confused though because last I heard he broke his neck against Rollins and is one bad bump from bad things happening.  

I don't expect him to wrestle much if at all. He's at least another great mentor & promo cutter for the future stars to continue to learn from. AEW is using the legends like WWE should have.