Pro Wrestling Open Thread

Brad_ATX

There are many speculations.  Christian makes the most sense, looks in great shape and would be an excellent get. I'd have to see it to believe it with Punk.  I would pop for that one. I just don't want Angle at his current age. He was looking run down at the end. I could see him joining for sure as another mentor figure and perhaps a better ending to his career.  WWE screwed his finish. 

Now there are actually 2 surprises.  One for the ladder match as well.  This may just be a one off though. 

Either way, big names will continue to draw viewers, and so far AEW is not making them the focus. They are using them more as mentors.  That's smart.  Just don't get into the pushing side the young talent.  AEW does an excellent job of building from within.  

Curveball, Maybe Goldberg.  I am wondering if his matches are so rough in WWE due to Vince not allowing him to do more.  Just like they won't let Flair in the ring anymore.  Goldberg had looked in great shape, just made to look like a one trick pony.  Kahn has said Goldberg was one of his favorites and DDP gave him his start.  I think Goldberg may still be under contract though with WWE. I would only want him if he is physically able to do more than he is doing.  But as of now, prefer he doesn't come.  Too risky for AEW.

Would love for a Tessa surprise right now.  Gosh that would be awesome.  Maybe come in and slap her old man lol

Don’t read further if you don’t want Revolution spoilers....

Ethan Page is All Elite! 6th man in ladder match. 

It’s Christian Cage!!!!!!!! Woooooo!

Edited by AUBwins

Street fight was awesome. Great cinematic match. 

Time for the death match. This will be nuts!!!

AEW totally botched the end to make a sour note on an otherwise great PPV. The final match was good too but the segment after may have changed the talking points and ruined the perception of the night. So ticked about it. I’ll comment on individual matches tomorrow. Time for bed. 

I didn't get to watch the PPV but followed up on it this morning.  Interested to see what Page & Christian bring.  I can't say i'm overly stoked about another guy 47 years old joining, but he's a great worker.  

I wouldn't be surprised to see Scorpio Sky take the TNT title off Darby on Wednesday.  They've been grooming him for a big push for a long while.  Darby seems more of a storyline guy than a title guy IMO anyway.

Oh also, nothing would legitimize the AEW Women's roster like bringing in Tessa.  It seems like a no-brainer and really surprised it hasn't happened.  

Edited by AUMicBK

2 hours ago, AUMicBK said:

Oh also, nothing would legitimize the AEW Women's roster like bringing in Tessa.  It seems like a no-brainer and really surprised it hasn't happened

Totally agree.  Bringing in ThunderRosa and Serena Deeb really helped boosting and the Japanese women were quite impressive as well.  I know Tessa wants to wait out the virus with her new husband, but the disturbing part has been Schiavone saying in multiple article AEW hasn't pursued her.  Of course Tully probably a good source of when she's ready to talk.  The division is much more suitable for bringing Tessa in now than what they were a year ago. 

Fully expect Scorpio to win it Wednesday and MJF to turn on Chris as well. 

On 3/8/2021 at 2:23 PM, AUBwins said:

Fully expect Scorpio to win it Wednesday and MJF to turn on Chris as well. 

Well close to being right.  Inner circle segment had many twists in a short time. Really thought Scorpio would win, but used the opportunity to add a little depth to the story first.  I think he is the next TNT champ. 

I really love the potential of the Moxley, Kingston duo. They will be hilarious and a lot of fun.  

Excited for next week.  First ever women's main event in an unsanctioned anything goes match with Brit and ThunderRosa.  Well done AEW. This will be good.  

I think Maki Itoh is great.  Her falling headbutt makes me laugh every time (in a good way).

so many guys that deserve to hold a singles belt in AEW, almost sucks there's not more to go around!  MJF, Adam Page, PAC, Brian Cage, Rey Fenix, Lance Archer, Sammy Guevara, Miro - all guys definitely could be great champs.  I don't want the belt to change hands 24/7 like some runs of WWE though.

PAC and Fenix are electric.  They are an oddball of a tag team but they're probably the two most impressive athletes on the roster.  I think they might take those tag belts.  I love the AEW tag division.  I'm not sure any of the teams who haven't been champs yet (other than PAC and Fenix) are ready to be champs yet, but it's a nice, deep and diverse division.  

As i've mentioned before I really am not crazy about women's wrestling but their roster is getting stronger.  

It seems like (other than the Good Brothers/Kenny O) the cross-promotional stuff has died down a bit.  I hope they keep it going at least here and there.  They need to go ahead and take over NWA and bring in Nick Aldis.  He and Thunder Rosa are really the only roster guys you'd want but would be a cool angle to have the Ten Pounds of Gold (my all time favorite belt) back on TV.  Aldis and Cody have had tremendous matches in the past. 

• Like 1

Main event tonight, ThunderRosa vs Brit in a lights out match!!!

2 hours ago, AUBwins said:

Main event tonight, ThunderRosa vs Brit in a lights out match!!!

Absolutely delivered.  Just brutal!  Better than the barbed wire match at PPV lol.  These girls practically killed each other.  Kudos to the extremes they went through. 

• Like 1

13 hours ago, AUBwins said:

Absolutely delivered.  Just brutal!  Better than the barbed wire match at PPV lol.  These girls practically killed each other.  Kudos to the extremes they went through. 

Definitely.  most brutal women's match i've personally seen and definitely respect them both a whole lot more than before the match!  Awesome promos last night too...Tully and MJF, Mox and Kingston and Don Callis all cut excellent ones.  Great matches between Penta and Cody and Mox/Eddie vs. Good Brothers.  Good show all around.

• Love 1

12 minutes ago, AUMicBK said:

Definitely.  most brutal women's match i've personally seen and definitely respect them both a whole lot more than before the match!  Awesome promos last night too...Tully and MJF, Mox and Kingston and Don Callis all cut excellent ones.  Great matches between Penta and Cody and Mox/Eddie vs. Good Brothers.  Good show all around.

I think it's time for Britt to win the title from Shida. A good heel run with belt makes a face winning it so much more satisfying.  Women's division has essentially leveled up, primarily from development within. 

This is awesome.  Warning for some background language (i think lol) 

• Like 1

Andrade has been granted a release by WWE.  I bet he arrives somewhere with "Zelina". Wonder if he has the same 90 non compete. I would love both of them in AEW.

The lights out women's match got a 4.75* from Meltzer.  On par with the Charlotte vs Becky match at Survivor Series a few years ago. 

So Impact just announced they are moving to Thursday nights starting in April.  NXT moves to Tuesdays,  and Impact moves to Thursdays,  while AEW stays on Wednesday night. Then bookended by the WWE shows.  None of the organizations are competing for wrestling viewers beginning after Wrestlemania. (Excluding NJPW) Curious how the numbers will reflect.  Great for wrestling fans that have no life at home lol. 

Edited by AUBwins

• 2 weeks later...

Jericho’s promo this week was epic. He’s legendary.