Pro Wrestling Open Thread

Brad_ATX

Omega vs Swann title vs title was a spectacle.  Great match.  

Kris Statlander looks fantastic since her return. She looks incredible and a more business like demeanor. I like the alliance with Best Friends as well. Just fits. 

So there are some HUGE rumblings circulating regarding AEW. Game changer stuff.  Out of superstition, not going to say what they are lol.  So maybe Wednesday, or maybe Double or Nothing. Just have to watch and see. 

Edited by AUBwins
Wrong PPV
  • Love 1

On 5/2/2021 at 1:08 AM, AUBwins said:

So there are some HUGE rumblings circulating regarding AEW. Game changer stuff.  Out of superstition, not going to say what they are lol.  So maybe Wednesday, or maybe Double or Nothing. Just have to watch and see. 

Welp, just like that rumor is squashed.  So I will sit in melancholy whilst hoping this is just a smokescreen, because I REALLY wanted this to happen. 

AEW is having Blood and Guts tonight, featuring a double ring in a cage War Games style.  The card is mini PPV worthy.  Curious if we have a surprise or two tonight. 

I was going to post that I absolutely loved the blood and guts match after the first 20 mins, but it faded later.  Commercials absolutely killed it.  AEW should have purchased the screen time for that match.  Had some wow moments by Sammy though. 

Edited by AUBwins

• 2 weeks later...

AEW announced it's moving to TBS in 2022 and adding a 1 hour Friday show AEW: Rampage in August.  Looking forward to it.  

Also, Kenny Omega will defend his AAA Mega Championship against Andrade at AAA's Triplemania.  As i'm sure you guys know, Andrade was cut from WWE not long ago.  I bet he wins the belt from Kenny so it can be defended more often in Mexico.

• Like 1
  • Love 2

Oh and just to fuel the fire again lol ... Tessa now seen working with Dustin Rhodes at his gym. Now they’re even with WWE rumors haha

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, AUMicBK said:

AEW announced it's moving to TBS in 2022 and adding a 1 hour Friday show AEW: Rampage in August.  Looking forward to it.  

Also, Kenny Omega will defend his AAA Mega Championship against Andrade at AAA's Triplemania.  As i'm sure you guys know, Andrade was cut from WWE not long ago.  I bet he wins the belt from Kenny so it can be defended more often in Mexico.

Saw where Zelina heading back to WWE. That’s disappointing from a talent standpoint but her husband is getting another push. Wonder if that was the stipulation. 

3 hours ago, AUMicBK said:

Max Caster bringing Renee into his rap and having to deal with Mox afterwards HAHA. WHAT AN IDIOT!

Other than half of backlash I haven't watched live wrestling in weeks.  I listen to Cornette's podcast and get the gist of AEW.  None of the WWE stuff really intrigues me anymore.  I started from the early 80s NWA and WWF stuff on the network and have been slowly rewatching everything.  Its a little tougher now that everything is on Peacock but I'm up to Summerslam 93.  This was a low point for viewership but I've enjoyed what I've seen so far.  Brett Hart was so great.  I miss matches that you actually believe someone got the absolute crap beat out of them and that an actual fight occurred.  I also miss real heat.  Watching Jerry Lawler berate the Hart's parents on live tv was so uncomfortable but good.  Really made you dislike a guy. 

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Win4AU said:

Other than half of backlash I haven't watched live wrestling in weeks.  I listen to Cornette's podcast and get the gist of AEW.  None of the WWE stuff really intrigues me anymore.  I started from the early 80s NWA and WWF stuff on the network and have been slowly rewatching everything.  Its a little tougher now that everything is on Peacock but I'm up to Summerslam 93.  This was a low point for viewership but I've enjoyed what I've seen so far.  Brett Hart was so great.  I miss matches that you actually believe someone got the absolute crap beat out of them and that an actual fight occurred.  I also miss real heat.  Watching Jerry Lawler berate the Hart's parents on live tv was so uncomfortable but good.  Really made you dislike a guy. 

Thank you for touching back on the glory days of wrestling.   I do remember how much you could hate a wrestler because you felt that Heel in them. One thing I’ll say is Cornette is a bit of a tool. He says some truth but also spins it negatively at times against AEW when I feel unwarranted. As you can see, I do find AEW closer to the glory days than WWE is. Story telling actually has thought behind it.  I have only watched WWE here or there to possibly catch the pop of Becky returning. Every time I do, I feel it was a waste. 

Edited by AUBwins

18 hours ago, AUBwins said:

Max Caster bringing Renee into his rap and having to deal with Mox afterwards HAHA. WHAT AN IDIOT!

Caster's raps are appointment viewing for me.  Love it.

5 hours ago, Win4AU said:

I love watching the old stuff.  I started off watching NWA, Florida and Georgia Championship Wrestling, Mid-South, WCCW in Texas, AWA and WWF.  I was completely enthralled in it as a kid and love to go back now and watch old stuff on the network (Peacock now) or YouTube.  I got back into it in my late teens/early 20s with ECW and the Monday Night wars.  Then i've only gotten back into it for the third time since AEW came into the picture.  It's based in my hometown and definitely is more reminiscent of the stuff I loved - I just enjoy it alot more than the overproduced, undercreative WWE stuff.  Since then i've ventured out some into other indies and NJPW.  it's a pretty good time for a wrestling fan, relatively.  It doesn't match the old days in any way, but it's as good as it has been since the early 90s, for me.

Reminder:  AEW dynamite go home show is tonight at 10ET. Gonna be good. 

• Like 1

I just can't get into AEW. Not my cup of tea at all. It's so danged cartoonish. There are serviceable matches and the guys and gals in general can wrestle and cut decent promos (Kenny Omega and Mox, for example, are legitimately talented wrestlers, and I'm a huge mark for Hangman). But their creative is bad, their booking is bad, their tag division, particularly the young bucks, is so damned boring. Friendship wrestling, there are way too many flashy spots that need the opponent's cooperation to pull off and it ends up looking more like interpretive dance then, you know, wrestling. 

The thing that's really frustrating about it is that the WWE is trash right now. Back in the Monday Night Wars era at least you could say you had the effect of a "rising tide lifts all boats" when we had a serious rivalry between two big promotions. Now we have two promotions but neither seems to be able to get out of their own way and wrestling's decline may only continue unless they find a way to give each other a kick in the ass. 

WWE got complacent and WCW struck gold with the NWO, then WCW got complacent and McMahon struck gold with the Attitude era, then WCW went absolutely insane and fell apart as quickly as it had risen, then McMahon got lazy and the product has stagnated. I was hoping AEW would threaten McMahon's monopoly and signal the need for some changes in creative that would see some improvement in the product overall, but that hasn't happened as of yet.

Corny catches a lot of crap but the man has spent nearly his entire life working in the wrestling industry, especially during its peak, and for a guy that people dismiss as a crotchety old man he makes some really good points about the state of wrestling today. Nobody knows how to be a proper heel or a proper face these days, for instance. Everything is done with a "wink and a nod" which makes it very difficult to indulge in, well, whatever the hell story they're trying to tell. 

A perfectly good distillation of this is back when he tore into WWE's legends night back in January. I won't link it here since Corny curses like a sailor, but Google "Jim Cornette Reviews WWE Raw Legends Night" and go to the 10 minute mark, where he describes what would have been a near perfect angle between Charlotte Flair and Rhea Ripley involving Ric in a heel manager role for his daughter. But WWE, being, you know, WWE, completely misfired again.

1 hour ago, AUDub said:

Nobody knows how to be a proper heel or a proper face these days, for instance.

Definitely agree with this. MJF has promise but has been trying too hard. Comes off as more of a prick but tries to talk his way into heel actions instead of acting like a heel. Other than the poor camera work by AEW on the cage fall, the move to shove Jericho off was a cold heel move. 

AEW is definitely falling flat with a few things, but I think some of those things are for still being in their infancy so to speak. Fans are back with Dynamite tonight and it’s definitely adding to the show.

Britt Baker is truly in her element now. She has gotten soooo much better in 2 years. Superstar being made. I love how AEW slow played her until she was ready and the crowd was back, and by gosh she’s ready now. When she wins Sunday, she will be a great Champ.  She has the catch phrase and the confidence. I love what she’s doing right now. 

Edited by AUBwins

Feel asleep during the show last night (10 ET start time geez). Watched the rest today.  Hearing the fans sing Judas when Inner Circle arrived was so freaking awesome.  That's with only about 5-6k people.  Can't wait to hear in front of 20-30k fans.  

Just fun thought.  Would love to see these teams get a female in the group.  It would be a lot of fun to see Tessa come and join. Show up in the Stampede and make the difference in the winner.  Either way works.  Heel Tessa joining Tully or probably more fun is joining Inner Circle against her father.  Won't happen but that would be cool. 

Watched the Dark Side of the Ring on Warrior. 

As bad as he came off they actually went easy on him lol. 

Double or Nothing ... wow!  One of the greatest feelings I've ever had after a PPV. The live crowd was eating everything up.  Truly a great show.  Plenty of fun surprises, including some well known personalities. 

I'll wait a few days to discuss specifics, but definitely some pop worthy moments.  One heel even got some FUs from the crowd lol. 

The world title match was incredible. Britt and Shida started to worry me a bit but it definitely picked it up and turned out to be a great match.  The Joker on the battle royal made me pop.  Totally unexpected.  And Stinger didn't disappoint.  Gosh so much fun. Thank you AEW.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, AUBwins said:

Double or Nothing ... wow!  One of the greatest feelings I've ever had after a PPV. The live crowd was eating everything up.  Truly a great show.  Plenty of fun surprises, including some well known personalities. 

I'll wait a few days to discuss specifics, but definitely some pop worthy moments.  One heel even got some FUs from the crowd lol. 

The world title match was incredible. Britt and Shida started to worry me a bit but it definitely picked it up and turned out to be a great match.  The Joker on the battle royal made me pop.  Totally unexpected.  And Stinger didn't disappoint.  Gosh so much fun. Thank you AEW.

Enjoyed Double or Nothing. May have been AEW's best PPV. 

The only low pont on the show was the Rhodes/Ogogo match. Ogogo should have. Rhodes victory served no purpose.

Popped when Sting won with the Scorpion Death Drop. Hopefully, AEW will push Sting & Allin as tag team title contenders and let them defeat the Young Bucks for the title at All Out.

More opinions later.