Pro Wrestling Open Thread

Brad_ATX

1 minute ago, Paladin said:

The only low pont on the show was the Rhodes/Ogogo match. Ogogo should have. Rhodes victory served no purpose.

Agreed here unless they thought a 2 match wrestler shouldn't beat an established wrestler like Cody.  And he was wearing the American Dream moniker in likely a one time only scenario.  Of course he wins. It was probably the weakest match though of the night. 

Like WTF is WWE doing?  Major stars just released including current storylines.  Big names include Braun Stroman, Aleister Black (just started a re-emergence story), Ruby Riott, Buddy Murphy, Lana.  Lana and Murphy I could see coming.  I could have seen Black if they hadn't just brought him back.  Stroman floors me.  They found his niche with the Stroman Express.  Sucks for Black because they just signed Zelina again (his wife). I bet she wishes she hadn't signed now.  I'm thinking she wanted to be on same show as her reason for returning.  Wow.  

Also, I think Non compete should be void if you get released by company. I think that in real business as well.  That's just company sided instead of a fair shake for employee. 

apparently Zelina's status is "up in the air" after the releases.  Strowman and Black seem like they'd be musts for AEW - nowhere else seems big enough for guys that high on the horse.  Lana could definitely come join Miro.  Ruby Riott would really fit the Impact women's division.  Murphy would kinda fit at Impact too.  

2 hours ago, AUMicBK said:

apparently Zelina's status is "up in the air" after the releases.  Strowman and Black seem like they'd be musts for AEW - nowhere else seems big enough for guys that high on the horse.  Lana could definitely come join Miro.  Ruby Riott would really fit the Impact women's division.  Murphy would kinda fit at Impact too.  

Although Murphy recently stated his dream match is against Omega. Of course now that could happen in Impact.  

Ruby will fit anywhere.  AEW needs women still.  Impact is the best women's division for now.  She'd be a good rival for Brit now. 

Actually would love to see all of these in AEW as well as Iconics and Samoa Joe. Obviously biased but I think any number of these recent releases would fit well there.  I just hope AEW doesn't over commit to salaries.  I read some of the top guy salaries are in the 5-6 million range.  WWE is known for 1 million max deals.  So more money and less taxing schedules, and creative freedom? No brainer there.  I guess we'll know in 3 months time where they all go. About half that for the first batch released. 

I'd really like to see Strowman and Black move to AEW, the rest are meh for me.  I'd like to see more of Lana and Chelsea Green for obvious reasons.  i don't want the AEW roster to get overinflated.  they already really need the new show to give guys more air time.  and if they're going to bring in other talent, i'd like to see some of the top guys at other promotions rather than some WWE castoffs.

Impact, MLW and ROH could all really use any of these talents and it would make the whole landscape better rather than just one company.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, AUMicBK said:

I'd really like to see Strowman and Black move to AEW, the rest are meh for me.  I'd like to see more of Lana and Chelsea Green for obvious reasons.  i don't want the AEW roster to get overinflated.  they already really need the new show to give guys more air time.  and if they're going to bring in other talent, i'd like to see some of the top guys at other promotions rather than some WWE castoffs.

Impact, MLW and ROH could all really use any of these talents and it would make the whole landscape better rather than just one company.

That makes sense. Agreed on Chelsea and Lana.  I forgot about Chelsea.  Absolutely think she'd be perfect addition.  Plus we have to save room for ricochet once he gets cast off or doesn't re sign, and Adam Cole once his contract runs out.  Hehe.  Ricochet has history in Lucha Underground with Penta and Fenix.  His style works too. I honestly think Cole is a possibility with the way he already knows the EVPs through those parties with Britt. And once he realizes he can't stay in NXT forever. 

So Lio Rush decided to retire this week after injuring himself at Double or Nothing.  He is contractually obligated to finish some time in NJPN once healing.  So that's 1 less for AEW.  Also rumored WWE may decide to re sign Aleister Black.  If tell them to kick rocks.  Brutally underutilized. He was starting a Dark Father character arc when released.  

Samoa Joe returned to NXT this week in a non wrestling role as GM. Probably wasn't cleared to wrestle anywhere. 

• Sad 1

• 2 weeks later...
17 hours ago, AUMicBK said:

Dang, another round of releases today!  

Killian Dane is the only one I'm interested in at this time.  Just haven't seen enough of the others. 

On 6/26/2021 at 2:04 PM, AUBwins said:

Killian Dane is the only one I'm interested in at this time.  Just haven't seen enough of the others. 

likewise, not really interested in any of these from an AEW perspective.  Can make Impact, ROH, MLW and NWA stronger though, which is always a plus to me.

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, AUMicBK said:

likewise, not really interested in any of these from an AEW perspective.  Can make Impact, ROH, MLW and NWA stronger though, which is always a plus to me.

Agreed. These releases would be better suited elsewhere. With a second show coming, any new acquisitions by AEW should be big name high impact people. We have enough young talent to shine. Unless they are a big name elsewhere. Looking forward to an impact female or 2 to come, and Braun. 

Zelina returns to WWE last night only to lose her first match.  Smh. She has so much potential.  Would have shined in AEW. Love to here a freestyle promo from her that AEW allows and maybe where he husband ends up. Just know that WWE will waste her.  

At least it looks like Liv is finally getting her WWE push.  She's got everything if they use it right.  

AEW was live in Miami in front of a packed house.  Freaking great to see.  An AEW crowd is so live. The chants and interacting together.  It made a big difference tonight. The wrestlers did a good job reacting to chants. "You got fired" to Don.  Jericho telling someone Y2J died a long time ago.  Lol.  Just great. 

I thought the strap match was the wrong match to start with as it lost a little of the crowd mid match before the powerful finish. Main event was great.   Andrade had his first match.  Glad to see him again.  But my goodness the shock of the night .....

Malachi Black has arrived! (ALEISTER BLACK FROM WWE). he just released a vignette earlier today on describing his character build. Did not expect to see him tonight! 2 black masses later ... Fantastic.  

If AEW is going to continue to load the card like this as rumored, watch out. 

The shocking part about Black was he was only released about a month ago. Evidently due to a clerical error by WWE, they never revised the non compete when he made the switch from NXT. NXT has a 30 day NC, instead of the 90 days on main roster.  Woohoo.  Good for AEW!

628761296_MalakiBlack.png.2145b9dd846a6802d97da579fdc9dede.png

Here is vignette from yesterday

https://www.instagram.com/tv/CRB9ln2hyUu/?utm_source=ig_web_copy_link

Edited by AUBwins

Curious to see what WWE does now that live crowds return beginning Friday.  Surely we will have splash returns.  It's all about to get fun now.  AEW got it started.  Can't wait to see what they continue to do, but WWE may actually get watchable again soon. 

1 hour ago, AUBwins said:

@Brad_ATX please tell me you were at dynamite in Austin! CROWD WAS HOT!!!

The pop for Hangman was unreal. Can't wait for his World Title reign which will begin at All Out on 9/5.

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, Paladin said:

The pop for Hangman was unreal. Can't wait for his World Title reign which will begin at All Out on 9/5.

My goodness that was a great show.  The Major League Wild Thing for Mox was incredible. AEW has created a crowd like ECW used to be but louder with large venues.  Hangman pop was legit. Heck they loved Ricky Starks.  That was a Heckuva match tonight with solid finish. Just a great mix of professional wrestling. 

• Like 1

12 hours ago, AUBwins said:

@Brad_ATX please tell me you were at dynamite in Austin! CROWD WAS HOT!!!

Oh yeah, I was there.  Great show!  Moved down after Dynamite to floor level by the ramp when a few folks left.  Got to watch Dark Elevation tapings from down there.

20210714_223855.jpg

20210714_194833.jpg

20210714_221826.jpg

• Love 1