Pro Wrestling Open Thread

Brad_ATX

This is a huge huge night for AEW, so many new eyes on tonight and CM Punk had a killer promo (and gave everyone in the audience an ice cream bar as a thank you!)

• Like 1

That CM Punk entrance was something.  I don’t know I’ve seen that kind of excitement in years.  Hopefully Punk and Daniel will help right this ship.  Big Show, Taz, and Mark Henry obviously haven’t made a dent not to mention all the Old WCW farts

I wish Punk didn’t look soo old 

Edited by Win4AU

12 hours ago, AUBwins said:

Haha

Man, this is the good thing about having CM Punk in AEW. TBH, I've never really been a fan of his but having him show up will get more eyes on the product and the great wrestlers that they already have. As long as they use Punk to ELEVATE the talent rather than burying them I'm all for this.

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, tgrogan21 said:

Man, this is the good thing about having CM Punk in AEW. TBH, I've never really been a fan of his but having him show up will get more eyes on the product and the great wrestlers that they already have. As long as they use Punk to ELEVATE the talent rather than burying them I'm all for this.

His opening promo is an example of what he brings.  Just his promo put Britt Baker over, cut the competition deep with simply saying he had to get away to get him well from the place that made him sick and that he just now returned to professional wrestling after leaving ROH, the merch sales from that night alone as one shirt was only available to the crowd (and crashed AEW website), the new eyes to the product, and free ice cream for everyone!!

He specifically talked about elevating the young talent in a way he wished he had the support 10 years ago.  He is very intelligent, and wants to ELEVATE Pro wrestling.  Kudos to T.Kahn for bringing in guys that want to be a part of that.  

This post was probably a bit disjointed but bottom line is AEW took a giant step forward into the spotlight.  Now let's hope they can manage it.  I don't think a guy like CMPunk would go there if he didn't believe they would.  So jacked to watch more. 

• Like 1

So as a counter, WWE tries to up the ante a bit by stipulating Roman will retire if he loses.  Those idiots! They basically took away any doubt that Roman retains now.  I actually saw a scenario that maybe they let Cena win.  Not now, unless they back track it because he his the tribal chief heel. But doubt it. Now the only way they surprise anyone is to still have Cena win but they don't have those kinda coconuts.

summerslam spoiler alert....

Woohoo! Becky is back!!! That was WWEs best shot at replicating the CM punk return.  It was a loud pop and like they way they debuted her after everyone briefly lost hope, but of course no where near the Punk event.  Not a once in a decade type of return.  I do hate that the did Bianca so wrong as a result.  They could've had a throw down and still let Becky get it.  They Kofi'd her and she is one that should never be quick pinned clean.  She's way too athletic to let that happen. 

Hey @GwillMac6, WWE women's division back where it belongs.  Becky with the blue belt and Charlotte with the red belt. Separate brands, and a little time before Survivor Series where these too will have to meet up if still title holding (you know WWE will do the match).

Edited by AUBwins

3 hours ago, AUBwins said:

summerslam spoiler alert....

Woohoo! Becky is back!!! That was WWEs best shot at replicating the CM punk return.  It was a loud pop and like they way they debuted her after everyone briefly lost hope, but of course no where near the Punk event.  Not a once in a decade type of return.  I do hate that the did Bianca so wrong as a result.  They could've had a throw down and still let Becky get it.  They Kofi'd her and she is one that should never be quick pinned clean.  She's way too athletic to let that happen. 

Hey @GwillMac6, WWE women's division back where it belongs.  Becky with the blue belt and Charlotte with the red belt. Separate brands, and a little time before Survivor Series where these too will have to meet up if still title holding (you know WWE will do the match).

As you know I am not a Becky fan so clearly I am biased here but that was so freaking wrong and dirty how they did Bianca. She deserved a lot better than to lose the match in a squash match. Obviously Becky was going to win no matter what but they could of had a actual match before Bianca lost. The way they did it was terrible. I guess it is another long reign of jobbing out a whole division to Becky...

Cannot even get excited about Charlotte reigns anymore because we all know it will be a super short and pointless reign. 

4 hours ago, GwillMac6 said:

As you know I am not a Becky fan so clearly I am biased here but that was so freaking wrong and dirty how they did Bianca. She deserved a lot better than to lose the match in a squash match. Obviously Becky was going to win no matter what but they could of had a actual match before Bianca lost. The way they did it was terrible. I guess it is another long reign of jobbing out a whole division to Becky...

Cannot even get excited about Charlotte reigns anymore because we all know it will be a super short and pointless reign. 

You're not wrong. I agree with what you said about Bianca and Charlotte.  To be quite honest, I still can't get excited enough to watch WWE. I may tune in some this week to catch a few promos from the fall out of SS. 

This is a cool backstage view of production truck during the take.  Fascinating stuff and a LOT of work.  That dude's incredible.  

All Out on September 5th is going to be insane.  I love the 4 PPVs a year model.  Gives you time to build.  Man that card is getting stacked!!

I've got a feeling we may get a surprise tonight! Bay-Bay!

Edited by AUBwins

• 2 weeks later...

Tonight is the night! This could very well be the best PPV of the year.  I can't wait to see what surprises are in store for AEW. How do they keep the momentum going? 

The last 10 mins is all you need to see from All Out to know where it is at right now in pro wrestling.  The whole show was great.  Man everything I realistically hoped for delivered.  I want so bad to say more but don't want to spoil someone who may be watching it later. 

Finally watched.  Quick thoughts:

- Good show top to bottom, except for Wight/Marshall.  Pointless match.

- Love the Ruby Soho reveal and using the song too.

- Tag match was a BANGER

- Miro/Kingston was brutal and fun

- Title match was fine, but Christian does nothing for me.  The Adam Cole/Bryan Danielson set ups were fun.

One last thought: I REALLY wish they had a cruiserweight division.  Fuego Del Sol, Ricky Starks, Sammy Guevara, Dante Martin, Darby, Kip Sabian, Jungle Boy, etc.  That division would be epic.

16 hours ago, Brad_ATX said:

Finally watched.  Quick thoughts:

- Good show top to bottom, except for Wight/Marshall.  Pointless match.

- Love the Ruby Soho reveal and using the song too.

- Tag match was a BANGER

- Miro/Kingston was brutal and fun

- Title match was fine, but Christian does nothing for me.  The Adam Cole/Bryan Danielson set ups were fun.

One last thought: I REALLY wish they had a cruiserweight division.  Fuego Del Sol, Ricky Starks, Sammy Guevara, Dante Martin, Darby, Kip Sabian, Jungle Boy, etc.  That division would be epic.

Agreed with everything.  I really loved the reveals and how they did them.  Adam Cole, while I knew he was a strong possibility to show up, made me pop because I had temporarily forgot about him.  It seems most of the audience did too the way they were chanting Yes! That entrance was fantastic too with the video, music, and still the AC Bay Bay. I had taken the foreshadowing by Britt as well with the Panama Sunrise too. Then they came back and revealed Bryan. Awesome.  Just perfect.

Cage match was ridiculous with the right result.  It was time the LB win the belts. 

Agreed Miro/ Eddie was one of my faves. Just slugging each other. 

Yes, a cruiser division would rival how the X division in Impact started.  Unreal air time with those guys. 

Dynamite was fun last night.  Just an incredible vibe with the crowd with the new additions. Actually thought AC blasting Tony on the mic for his fondness of BB was perfect for his character.  I love his entrance music. 

Crowd is just so electric, and these newcomers are good with the mic and play it up.  Quick 2 hours. 

On Rampage tonight, clearly Max Caster was selected as main event for his punishment for going off script and thus the backlash.  Took the loss, then got double teamed by Cincinnati boys, Moxley and Pillman. Result was a super kick into a paradigm shift. Don't tick off the boss, or you'll not have a good night lol. 

Rick Steiner's boy debuted on NXT the other night and he's got Rick's look with early 90s Scott's physique. With that name and that look he should be a license to print money. Promo wasn't too bad either.

Buuut WWE, being WWE, dubbed him "Bron Breakker."

mmrwwfgeetar.jpg

Still looks like he'll be a hell of a prospect.

1 hour ago, AUDub said:

Rick Steiner's boy debuted on NXT the other night and he's got Rick's look with early 90s Scott's physique. With that name and that look he should be a license to print money. Promo wasn't too bad either.

Buuut WWE, being WWE, dubbed him "Bron Breakker."

mmrwwfgeetar.jpg

Still looks like he'll be a hell of a prospect.

Yea I hope to find time to go back and watch the NXT from this week just to see it.  I heard he was debuting.  

Dynamite was awesome.  Loved Adam Cole entrance and his match with Kaz was fantastic. Also like that Bryan and Kenny fighting for a non title match.  Like how they cleared that up too.  Leads one to believe either could win.  Next week both Dynamite and Rampage are 2 hours from Arthur Ashe tennis stadium in Queens. I'm sure they are filming 4 hours on the same night and airing Rampage Friday. But 2 hours instead of 1. Great week next week..