Pro Wrestling Open Thread

Brad_ATX

10 hours ago, AUBwins said:

Yea I hope to find time to go back and watch the NXT from this week just to see it.  I heard he was debuting.  

Went about as well as it could. 

But the name thing. I mean damn. If there's one thing the WWE can bank on these days - which isn't much because their creative is so stupidly bad - it's nostalgia. That's why they keep parading Goldberg and the like out there. Here they have a guy that's got the look, is only 23, seems to have his dad's goofy charisma and a name that will resonate with anyone from an era just about everyone looks back on fondly, and they ditch the name of all things for a Vinnie Mac special.

Blech. AEW is going to solidify itself as the number 1 promotion in very short order. They're flawed but improving while WWE is unloading the entire magazine into their foot. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, AUDub said:

Went about as well as it could. 

But the name thing. I mean damn. If there's one thing the WWE can bank on these days - which isn't much because their creative is so stupidly bad - it's nostalgia. That's why they keep parading Goldberg and the like out there. Here they have a guy that's got the look, is only 23, seems to have his dad's goofy charisma and a name that will resonate with anyone from an era just about everyone looks back on fondly, and they ditch the name of all things for a Vinnie Mac special.

Blech. AEW is going to solidify itself as the number 1 promotion in very short order. They're flawed but improving while WWE is unloading the entire magazine into their foot. 

Agreed. 100%

The only prediction I will make for tonight's AEW Wednesday Night Dynamite Grand Slam is the return of Hangman Adam Page. 

The pop from the crowd will be enormous.

Page will be challenging Omega at Full Gear where he will win the AEW Championship

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Paladin said:

The only prediction I will make for tonight's AEW Wednesday Night Dynamite Grand Slam is the return of Hangman Adam Page. 

The pop from the crowd will be enormous.

Page will be challenging Omega at Full Gear where he will win the AEW Championship

Good call.  I will be bold and say between Wednesday and Friday (since it is basically a 2 part show) , we see at least 1 of Braun Stroman (aka Titan) [timing works] , the former Iconics (just a hunch), Ric Flair (most likely with the Tully/Sting angle), or Tessa in a huge surprise (most want, but least likely)  🤔.  

• Like 1

Either way you know Tony wants a pop with the record crowd.  Any new York, New Jersey natives in wrestling out there?

11 minutes ago, AUBwins said:

Good call.  I will be bold and say between Wednesday and Friday (since it is basically a 2 part show) , we see at least 1 of Braun Stroman (aka Titan) [timing works] , the former Iconics (just a hunch), Ric Flair (most likely with the Tully/Sting angle), or Tessa in a huge surprise (most want, but least likely)  🤔.  

Next Wednesday, look for Bray Wyatt to make his debut at the Rochester show.

Edited by Paladin
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, AUBwins said:

Any fallout from the Darkside of the Ring episode about the plane ride from hell for Flair? I've seen and read that some people in wrestling want to distance themselves from Ric Flair.

12 minutes ago, Paladin said:

Any fallout from the Darkside of the Ring episode about the plane ride from hell for Flair? I've seen and read that some people in wrestling want to distance themselves from Ric Flair.

Saw that.  Never watched the dark side though.  Agreed that could derail a Flair showing.  AEW cannot afford bad pub during this ascension in viewership, which is supposedly why Tessa isn't anywhere.  Just get a feeling she will be starting some where soon.  Fits the new NXT vibe, but man I don't want to see her wasted there.  Still think she completely changes the AEW women's division of she is allowed to join. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Brad_ATX said:

That Danielson / Omega match was absolutely bonkers.

Perfect! Made us all wanting more which was the purpose. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Brad_ATX said:

That V trigger from hell (down the ramp) was brutal. 

• Like 1

I’m watching on a bit of delay so only on 2nd match so far. Great venue choice by Tony Kahn

19 minutes ago, AUBwins said:

I’m watching on a bit of delay so only on 2nd match so far. Great venue choice by Tony Kahn

Its such a perfect setup for wrestling.

7 minutes ago, Brad_ATX said:

Its such a perfect setup for wrestling.

You know this will be an annual thing. You might have to find a way to it next year 😉

I don’t watch wrestling like I used to, but I’ve been watching AEW here and there the past few months. Good talent. Good energy. 

I was really impressed with Ruby Soho. Talented and skilled and you can tell she really loves what she’s doing. 

I saw an interview she did after her debut and you could see how excited she was. She seemed very driven and humble.

One negative of the show for me was seeing AA fall off the apron accidentally. It reminds me that the guys I grew up watching aren’t what they used to be. Thankfully, he was able to get up and hit his spot for his scripted fall. 

12 hours ago, wareagleguy said:

One negative of the show for me was seeing AA fall off the apron accidentally. It reminds me that the guys I grew up watching aren’t what they used to be. Thankfully, he was able to get up and hit his spot for his scripted fall. 

Yea a bit scary,  but to counter that, Sting has impressed me with what he's doing in the ring.  Not really a drop off within the context of the match and he's pushing himself to try to add a few modern elements of AEW.  Like the cross body for example.  I love the way they've utilized him in the ring now.  Started slow on his arrival.  I bet it will take him a week to get over the pain though lol

1 hour ago, AUBwins said:

Yea a bit scary,  but to counter that, Sting has impressed me with what he's doing in the ring.  Not really a drop off within the context of the match and he's pushing himself to try to add a few modern elements of AEW.  Like the cross body for example.  I love the way they've utilized him in the ring now.  Started slow on his arrival.  I bet it will take him a week to get over the pain though lol

Liked how FTR sold for Sting and did the job. They have respect for the business and the legends.

Curious to see how far AEW pushes Sting and Darby. If Sting can continue his quality in-ring performances, maybe they can be considered contenders for the AEW tag team titles. How much fun would it be to see Sting win one more title.

The coffin drop Allin performed was insane. Props to Cash Wheeler.

My prediction for Hangman Page did not happen. Hopefully he'll be back soon and we'll get the title match between him and Omega at Full Gear.

2 hours ago, AUBwins said:

Yeah, I found myself holding my breath every time they hit him around his neck. 

Oh I'd forgotten to mention it but the segment last Friday with Ruby and Britt killed.  Loved the shots they took at each other.  Now it's rumored WWE tried to test that with the Charlotte, Bliss segment which fell flat.  WWE needs to stop worrying about AEW and just focus on themselves.  They've been reactionary way too much in reality and that's killed the product.  Just do you, if they even know what that is anymore.  

On 9/23/2021 at 5:10 PM, AUBwins said:

Oh I'd forgotten to mention it but the segment last Friday with Ruby and Britt killed.  Loved the shots they took at each other.  Now it's rumored WWE tried to test that with the Charlotte, Bliss segment which fell flat.  WWE needs to stop worrying about AEW and just focus on themselves.  They've been reactionary way too much in reality and that's killed the product.  Just do you, if they even know what that is anymore.  

Vince didn't take AEW seriously, and now that the nascent promotion is getting its s*** together, making Vince pay for his screwups by scooping up legitimate talent he has cut loose, improved their booking tremendously and become a legit threat to challenge him, WWE is scrambling to make up for it.

Edited by AUDub
  • Like 1

On 9/22/2021 at 8:16 PM, Brad_ATX said:

When Jim Cornette harps on how good it was, you know it had to be good.

He has a massive hateboner for modern wrestling in general but the ascerbic old gasbag knows the sport. His tenor has changed on AEW lately and it's definitely more on AEW than him. The promotion is improving.

• Like 1

The Arn Anderson of the NWA/Mid Atlantic Wrestling was back last night on Dynamite. 

Has my vote for the best promo yet in AEW.

Cody Rhodes called out Malakai Black after he and Lee Johnson defeated Matt Sydal and Dante Martin in a Tag Team Match. Just as Rhodes asked Black to confront him, Anderson cut off his protégé.

“Cody, stop talking,” Anderson said. “Since coming into our lives on July the 7th, Malakai Black has systematically destroyed each of us. He used me to get to you, but it’s your fight. The first time, he totally destroyed you, and you started taking your boot off? What was that about? We didn’t talk about that.

“You come back for the rematch, and just when you finally get him hurt, you walk around the ring to check on me. The hell with me, it’s not about me. You should have finished that fight.”

Anderson then essentially cut ties with “a loser” such as Rhodes, before walking away alongside Johnson.

“There’s two big differences between you & I, Cody,” Anderson said. “If you pull up to a red light, and a man jerks your door opens and tries to take your car, you’d say, ‘OK, take it. Just don’t hurt me.’

“You know what I’d do? I’d pull out the Glock, put it on his forehead and spill his brains all over the concrete. I’m Arn Anderson, and I’d be damned if I’m going to coach a loser. Come on with me, Lee. At least you listen to me.”

Edited by Paladin
  • Love 1

4 hours ago, Paladin said:

The Arn Anderson of the NWA/Mid Atlantic Wrestling was back last night on Dynamite. 

Has my vote for the best promo yet in AEW.

Cody Rhodes called out Malakai Black after he and Lee Johnson defeated Matt Sydal and Dante Martin in a Tag Team Match. Just as Rhodes asked Black to confront him, Anderson cut off his protégé.

“Cody, stop talking,” Anderson said. “Since coming into our lives on July the 7th, Malakai Black has systematically destroyed each of us. He used me to get to you, but it’s your fight. The first time, he totally destroyed you, and you started taking your boot off? What was that about? We didn’t talk about that.

“You come back for the rematch, and just when you finally get him hurt, you walk around the ring to check on me. The hell with me, it’s not about me. You should have finished that fight.”

Anderson then essentially cut ties with “a loser” such as Rhodes, before walking away alongside Johnson.

“There’s two big differences between you & I, Cody,” Anderson said. “If you pull up to a red light, and a man jerks your door opens and tries to take your car, you’d say, ‘OK, take it. Just don’t hurt me.’

“You know what I’d do? I’d pull out the Glock, put it on his forehead and spill his brains all over the concrete. I’m Arn Anderson, and I’d be damned if I’m going to coach a loser. Come on with me, Lee. At least you listen to me.”

Agreed that promo was fantastic.  There were a few moments that got me to pop a little.  I'm excited Lio Rush is back and signed with AEW. As the show got going, seriously doubted they would upstage the Brody night with a major appearance like Bray. Some think more likely to go to Impact but he keeps things close to vest. 

94b54e_f7d12582e26c4451983e441ad64bd784_mv2.jpg

• Like 1

Dynamite was a lot of fun.  Awesome matches throughout, banger beginning and end of the night.  And the Joker actually surprised me.  Nice swerve. 

So happy AEW got it right in the women's match.  They absolutely did.  Also love that they are making a secondary title for women too. Just great show.