Pro Wrestling Open Thread

Brad_ATX

Former Iconics going to Impact at Bound for Glory PPV. It fits for them but was really hoping they would come to AEW. I love them, and Cassie is the wife of Shawn Spears.  Also a bit surprised at Tessa going to be the face of WOW wrestling re boot. She is also Co- casting director. AJ Lee in a management role there as well.  Actually could be good for Tessa to reset the narrative on her career with all the bullying baggage, from the very place she was accused of it.  Then she can decide to go to AEW or WWE after that.  

• 2 weeks later...

Wanted to say last Saturday dynamite entire show was banger. And what a helluva promo by Hangman.  Love it. 

I loved Saturday's dynamite.  Danielson v Dustin was really good.  Archer/Kingston was solid until Archer pulled a Lssnar.

Super excited for Deeb/Shida 2 on Wednesday.

2 hours ago, Brad_ATX said:

I loved Saturday's dynamite.  Danielson v Dustin was really good.  Archer/Kingston was solid until Archer pulled a Lssnar.

Super excited for Deeb/Shida 2 on Wednesday.

Hadn't finished watching it but agree on Danielson vs Dustin.  Amazing how AEW can get fantastic matches from "washed up" talent. Danielson has really improved the promotion.  

Braun Stroman didn't debut at Impact ... interesting. 

Finished Dynamite.  Man what a scary sight with Archer.  Glad nothing broken nor concussion. Jammed neck. 

Is there anyone on their roster who is a good fit for AEW? Briscoe Brothers? Bring Homicide in f/t? Not up to date on any others.

Edited by Paladin

Didn't Marty Skurll go there? He was a top free agent that was in AEW cross hairs. Supposedly the Impact and AEW agreement is done now so not sure if we will see much crossover there going forward. At least not as often as it was.  It was a good deal to happen during pandemic to bring excitement to both brands.  Helped AEW more than Impact 

EC3, Jay Lethal was a big TNA guy back in the prime time,  Angelina Love would be nice,  honestly have a nice women's group. Maria and Mike Bennett is there.  Didn't see Marty on the active roster so guess not. 

26 minutes ago, AUBwins said:

Didn't Marty Skurll go there? He was a top free agent that was in AEW cross hairs. Supposedly the Impact and AEW agreement is done now so not sure if we will see much crossover there going forward. At least not as often as it was.  It was a good deal to happen during pandemic to bring excitement to both brands.  Helped AEW more than Impact 

Marty Scrull and ROH parted ways in January 2021, due to #speakingout allegations.

• Thanks 1

Deeb vs Shida match was great this week.  Also had a lot fun in the nonsense main event.  

@AUBwins

Did you see where John Moxley was entering an inpatient alcohol treatment program? Tony Khan tweeted about it last night or this morning. 

Wishing him success in the program. Wrestling career comes far down the line in comparison to getting himself healthy. Prayers for him, his wife and newborn daughter.

Edited by Paladin

4 hours ago, Paladin said:

@AUBwins

Did you see where John Moxley was entering an inpatient alcohol treatment program? Tony Khan tweeted about it last night or this morning. 

Wishing him success in the program. Wrestling career comes far down the line in comparison to getting himself healthy. Prayers for him, his wife and newborn daughter.

Just read about that.  AGREED.  Renee and that baby girl are clearly important to him.  Glad he is getting help.  I Imagine Tony will set up a replacement for his qualifier. 

• Like 1

More WWE releases.  Keith Lee, Nia Jax (finally), Karion Kross among others.  Surprised by Kross and Scarlett. I think it's people they don't know what to do with.  Sad really.  They are turning into robot wrestlers.  Specific size demeanor etc. Vince has lost it.  😳 

Meanwhile Charlotte is rumored to be trying to get fired.  With the heat lately on top of her dad and fiancé not there anymore,  she could be getting to a point of forget it when it comes to the records she's chasing in WWE.

Edited by AUBwins

Eddie Kingston showed on Rampage why he is the best promo in wrestling right now. Am I the only one thinking that AEW is teasing a Punk heel turn. He came across as the the heel in last night's face-off. 

WWE would be insane to get rid of Charlotte.  Need her, Ripley, and Becky fighting it out.  Throw in Sasha, Belaire, and Bliss as B team and you could make the women’s division interesting.  Interesting to see what WWEs end game is in all this.  They have to have a plan with all these releases.

WWE was stupid for letting this guy go.  And stupid for changing his gimmick.   In the vignette,  Kross says soon we will be together again, wait for me, I'm coming.  I think he's referencing wrestling fans,  but can you imagine a dark faction arriving together of Windham (Bray), Titan(Braun), and Kross (with Scarlett) ... maybe EC3 with them.  Chills. 

I hope for sure AEW does not sign Nia Jax. She's horrible in the ring and the mic.   Ember Moon would be a great fit.   Keith Lee and Mia Yim as well (since they are a couple).

Some really good grinding matches at Full Gear.  Punk vs Kingston was probably the most passioned "fight" I've ever seen in a wrestling ring.  Believed every shot given.  Conti elevated her game. Only 1 surprise (a bit underwhelming presentation of it, but I understand why.  Loved the main event. 

Overall not the banger as All Out, but solid night of excellent wrestling. 

3 hours ago, Brad_ATX said:

I enjoyed Full Gear.  Thought the street fight with Inner Circle dragged a bit too long.  Loved MJF/Darby & Punk/Kingston.

Agreed on both thoughts. Darby does the best suicide dive I've ever seen. 

• 2 weeks later...

Another release by WWE that is a mistake is Tegan Nox.  She is darn good,  and brings a lot of energy.  Personally can't wait until they drop Dakota Kai. I like that girl too.  

Women's division is looking up.  I like having the TBS for them.  Gives a platform to use more of the women on TV. Like the way they are giving Jade time to develop before truly giving her a championship push.  They may be heading that way with the TBS tourney because she will have a big time match next against likely ThunderRosa.  She looked good on Rampage, velvet did too.  Her timing is less awkward etc, and love her entrance.  These TBS matches have been well designed and entertaining.  Looking forward to tonight's. 

Opening segment of Dynamite was fantastic. We all wanted to see the day when MJF and Punk would go at it with the promos.  I'm sure this war on the mic is not over between MJF and Punk. Loved it. Plenty of nice zingers.  Love how AEW embraces the past of the wrestlers to create heat today. 

NXT has quietly been getting better under the radar. Which is about the only thing WWE has going for it right now. Raw and Smackdown are boring as hell. I think HBK is handling the booking and doing an OK job of it. 

How they're booking Bron Breakker (Steiner) right now is damn near perfect for setting up the future standard bearer for the promotion. Have him come in, wreck everyone for a bit (not Goldberg-esque squashes but matches where his talent is made clear), then when he gets a shot for the belt against Ciampi, have him do the job and show the audience that skill and experience still beats raw talent. Follow that up by having him be a holy terror on the upper mid-card to "gain experience."

Now if they can just avoid putting the belt on him too quick it should end up being a winner of a storyline.

A little more in ring polish and he's everything you could want in a wrestler.