Pro Wrestling Open Thread

Brad_ATX

I'm even looking forward to the buy in. Hookhaussen!!

MJF's promo tonight was epic...

It was even better than CM Punk's 'pipebomb' promo in 2011.

He's got the charisma and mic skills that even WWE has been hard pressed to produce in the last decade. He's the future of AEW but he's been booked like a glorified midcarder the last 2 years. It's a travesty that MJF hasn't won a title in AEW.

• Love 1

17 minutes ago, Auburnfan91 said:

MJF's promo tonight was epic...

It was even better than CM Punk's 'pipebomb' promo in 2011.

He's got the charisma and mic skills that even WWE has been hard pressed to produce in the last decade. He's the future of AEW but he's been booked like a glorified midcarder the last 2 years. It's a travesty that MJF hasn't won a title in AEW.

Completely agree.  Holy s*** what a promo.  He is a generational heel. He gets more heat than anyone I remember watching. And he plays the crowd perfectly to get it.  He blends the line between a work and a shoot flawlessly.  Believable for either case.  Double or nothing was again fantastic.  Dynamite was enjoyable too. Can't wait for Rampage. 

MJF removed from AEW website and merchandise pulled.  This is next level "work". I won't believe he's fired until I see him in WWE lol. They will probably let him show up on Impact to continue this. 

Cody is getting mad respect for his match against Rollins last night.  Cody tore his Pec muscle clean off this week training for the match. He still wrestled a masterpiece with Seth.  Well worked by both to create a very compelling match without Cody lifting Seth at all.  Basically wrestled with 1 arm.  Incredibly gutsy. Cody going to WWE was probably the best for all parties of Cody himself, WWE, and AEW. Congrats Cody and ouch that hurts lol. 

codypecwor.jpg

Forbidden door is going to be so good.  Some of the best wrestlers in the world.  I couldn't believe it Wednesday when none other than Will Ospreay himself showed up on Dynamite!!!  This whole thing is a win.  NJPW will get many more eyes on what they have, which is some of the best talent out there. 

Sounds like Jeff Hardy may have needed the rehab he refused when leaving WWE. Arrested on another drunk driving charge, which violates his probation status etc. I hope he can find what he needs to exorcize those demons that keep finding their way back.  He sounded like he was trying to end his career on a good note.  

8 hours ago, Brad_ATX said:

Sup y'all?  Been a while

Been to any recent shows?  Forbidden door will be incredible no doubt.  I've been loving the wrestling.  Looking forward to tonight.  Some good stuff.  Real excited to see Ospreay in the ring against Dax.

3 hours ago, AUBwins said:

Been to any recent shows?  Forbidden door will be incredible no doubt.  I've been loving the wrestling.  Looking forward to tonight.  Some good stuff.  Real excited to see Ospreay in the ring against Dax.

I went to Dynamite here in Austin back in March.  Will post a couple of of pics and videos.  Loving the Blackpool Combat Club (especially Yuta) and the mystery around MJF.

Some pics and videos.  Great shot of Hardy jumping off the wall through a table.  The Mox thing was total luck.  Was walking back to my seat from the bathroom and he was there waiting to go in.

20220323_175313.jpg

• Love 1

1 hour ago, Brad_ATX said:

I went to Dynamite here in Austin back in March.  Will post a couple of of pics and videos.  Loving the Blackpool Combat Club (especially Yuta) and the mystery around MJF.

Absolutely love the combat club.  Bringing Regal in and Yuta, that whole thing is just perfect.  

Love Statlander new approach, Julia hart joining House of Black after the slow burn. I hope HOB can keep growing their storyline.  I love them but they need exposure to work imo. I'd love to find a way to give Kingston the world strap.  Heck if only for a little bit. He deserves to be champ once. 

• Like 1

Biggest issue I have with AEW is their predictability for the match outcomes.  Although they do mix it up just enough to put s slight doubt into it.  This is the perfect opportunity to change it up with Punk out. Let's see if they put the belt on Tanashi instead of Mox.

Biggest issue I have with AEW is their predictability for the match outcomes.  Although they do mix it up just enough to put s slight doubt into it.  This is the perfect opportunity to change it up with Punk out. Let's see if they put the belt on Tanashi instead of Mox.

Oh they'll put it on Mox.  Punk name dropping him specifically in a promo telegraphs that.

The more fun play to me would have been for MJF to win the battle royal, beat Mox, win the belt and then hold it hostage.  Khan then forces MJF into match after match but by hook and crook, he keeps winning until Punk comes back.

• Love 1

55 minutes ago, Brad_ATX said:

Oh they'll put it on Mox.  Punk name dropping him specifically in a promo telegraphs that.

The more fun play to me would have been for MJF to win the battle royal, beat Mox, win the belt and then hold it hostage.  Khan then forces MJF into match after match but by hook and crook, he keeps winning until Punk comes back.

Yes I agree.  That would be incredible.  Perfect use of his heel. Heck send it to Tony.  He may listen and rescript haha.  I think I saw maybe that MJF is doing a movie or something.  

But you see what I mean about the telegraphing? Need more swerves.

Yes I agree.  That would be incredible.  Perfect use of his heel. Heck send it to Tony.  He may listen and rescript haha.  I think I saw maybe that MJF is doing a movie or something.  

But you see what I mean about the telegraphing? Need more swerves.

I'm not a fan of swerving for the sake of swerving.  That was a massive WCW problem.  Needs to make sense.

48 minutes ago, Brad_ATX said:

I'm not a fan of swerving for the sake of swerving.  That was a massive WCW problem.  Needs to make sense.

I can agree with that.  And when AEW does make a twist, they usually have foreshadowed it somewhere prior

Dax vs Ospreay was an absolute banger.

• Like 1

Forbidden Door is so stacked. Only wish we didn't have so many injured guys.  Card is still long without them.  Missing Omega, CMPunk, Danielson, Kenta etc.

But Fatal 4 way for IWGP US heavyweight championship with Switchblade Jay White, Adam Cole, Hangman Page, and Okada?!  Yes please!

Edited by AUBwins

Forbidden door tonight!!!

@ellitoryou watching? Has your boy Ospreay. I know you followed NJPW more

Edited by AUBwins

SPOILER ALERT!!!!!

That was a mostly fun night of wrestling.  Incredible matches throughout.  They played the crowd really well.  Only 2 beefs for me.  OK maybe 3. Smallest beef was predictable winners.  Would have loved to have 1 shock winner.  2nd beef was the sudden anticlimactic win in a real incredible match leading up to it in the fatal 4 way IWGP championship match.  Almost wondering if Cole got seriously hurt and Jay went to the finish.  He seemed to say something to ref afterwards but the crowd was left silent on the sudden 3. Last beef is trying to promote storyline for blood and guts after the AEW championship match.  Felt like an episode of free tv instead of ppv. Bad form that was likely Jericho idea.  He tends to get in the way a bit from overall vision at times.  Just bad choice imo.   Other than that, a whole lot of exciting moments.  Ospreay vs Cassidy ending was such a banger!!!  Really didn't know who would win for a few minutes.  Ended up as expected but had me believing otherwise. 

Finally watched Fordbidden Door today.  Was a good show.  Predictable, but I expected that given that it was a joint promotion.  Still fun to watch.

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, Brad_ATX said:

Finally watched Fordbidden Door today.  Was a good show.  Predictable, but I expected that given that it was a joint promotion.  Still fun to watch.

Saw post media conference segments.  Claudio had a line that stood out.  Been there 1 day and it felt like he's been there for years.  Hearing that sentiment a lot from New wrestlers in AEW.

• Like 1