AU - Legitimate Final Four Contender?

AUDynasty

Was reading articles about the rise of Auburn basketball and stumbled on this link:

http://amp.si.com/college-basketball/2018/01/29/ncaa-tournament-bracket-watch-west-virginia-auburn-nc-state-xavier?__twitter_impression=true

You want to check out the Midwest paragraph--the author makes an argument that Auburn can make to the Final Four.

Thoughts? At first I thought we were one or two years too early, but more I think about it, why not? Why not us?

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It’s good to be in discussions but we have a long way to go.  We could be a 1 but with how the rest of the season goes we could fall all the way to a 10 seed as well

45 minutes ago, corchjay said:

It’s good to be in discussions but we have a long way to go.  We could be a 1 but with how the rest of the season goes we could fall all the way to a 10 seed as well

I agree 100% with this! I’m so proud of how these guys are playing right now. I think they are truly one of the best teams in the country. But I believe we’ll know more about this team when we play Kentucky & UAT at home and Florida on the road 

This AU team can beat any team in the country if they play like they did against LSU. There is absolutely no question about that. But i'd be hard pressed to say we are a legit final 4 contender. Sure we can get there (which i guess technically makes us a contender) but i don't think anyone would say it is likely. We are playing good basketball but we are still going to struggle against teams that have a lot of height when our shots aren't falling. Horace and McLemore are playing great basketball. If fact i need to give Horace more credit than that. I was ready to say he was never going to be a big contributor at AU earlier this season but he has really brought it the last couple weeks. But they just aren't guys you can pound it in too when you can't hit the outside shots. As great as Murray has been he's going to struggle against and true big man. Its hard to make a deep run in the tourney without a solid inside game. 

But man we have so many people that can score from outside that more times then not we'll find someone who is feeling it on a given night. I mean pretty much the entire team except for Spencer is a threat to put one up from 3. And have a decent chance for it to go in as well! 

Well, one thing is for sure, any doubts about this team we have had for this season, they have proved us wrong and then some.  I will never count Auburn out.  

3 hours ago, AUDynasty said:

Was reading articles about the rise of Auburn basketball and stumbled on this link:

http://amp.si.com/college-basketball/2018/01/29/ncaa-tournament-bracket-watch-west-virginia-auburn-nc-state-xavier?__twitter_impression=true

You want to check out the Midwest paragraph--the author makes an argument that Auburn can make to the Final Four.

Thoughts? At first I thought we were one or two years too early, but more I think about it, why not? Why not us?

We’re going to play three teams over the next few weeks that are every bit as talented as us and have a size advantage like we’ve rarely seen this year. Florida, Kentucky, and Texas A&M all have the talent, the size, the recent experience or expectation to make a deep run in the NCAAT. Those three games will be a good barometer for the capabilities of this team. And if we lose all three, I won’t think we’re doomed, but it will likely mean we probably aren’t Final Four ready yet. 

14 hours ago, boomstick said:

We’re going to play three teams over the next few weeks that are every bit as talented as us and have a size advantage like we’ve rarely seen this year. Florida, Kentucky, and Texas A&M all have the talent, the size, the recent experience or expectation to make a deep run in the NCAAT. Those three games will be a good barometer for the capabilities of this team. And if we lose all three, I won’t think we’re doomed, but it will likely mean we probably aren’t Final Four ready yet. 

Don't forget about bammer as well. They are up and down...but when they are up they are good.

I am not a scholar of College Basketball so forgive my ignorance here...but, why would Auburn be #2 in the Midwest as opposed to say, the East? Why not switch Michigan State and Auburn? At first glance it seems a better geographical fit. I know they try to reward certain seeds so maybe I'm missing something. I do think getting through the Midwest bracket (using the example at the link in the OP) would be "easier" than the East. And I get that this bracket has nothing to do with what will actually happen. I guess I'm just trying to find out why this scenario might play out when it comes to Auburn.

2 hours ago, autigeremt said:

Don't forget about bammer as well. They are up and down...but when they are up they are good.

Oh for sure. Was just saying those three teams either went to the NCAAT with basically the same team they have now and had a deep run or, in Kentucky's case, have some of the most elite talent on a team full of elite talents and is expecting to be a second weekend team. Bama is very talented and should make the NCAAT this year, but I'm not sure they're quite on the same level as those teams. And I'm not sure Auburn is either yet.

22 minutes ago, MDM4AU said:

I am not a scholar of College Basketball so forgive my ignorance here...but, why would Auburn be #2 in the Midwest as opposed to say, the East? Why not switch Michigan State and Auburn? At first glance it seems a better geographical fit. I know they try to reward certain seeds so maybe I'm missing something. I do think getting through the Midwest bracket (using the example at the link in the OP) would be "easier" than the East. And I get that this bracket has nothing to do with what will actually happen. I guess I'm just trying to find out why this scenario might play out when it comes to Auburn.

The second weekend  is the Regional Semifinals and Finals (Sweet 16/Elite 8). Those Regional Final sites are Omaha, LA, Atlanta, and Boston. I think it's all dependent upon how the committee ranks the 2 seeds, and then the venues go in seeding order for the most part. In that particular bracket, putting Kansas in Omaha and Auburn in Atlanta would seem to make more logistical sense than the current setup, but the committee has been known before to put teams in brackets that don't fit their geographical footprint.

5 hours ago, Tigerbelle said:

One game at a time. Don't jinx it by looking too far ahead......

We are fans.  We can look ahead all we want.  One luxury of just being a fan.    Do people really still believe in a Jinx?  :lol:

1 minute ago, WarTiger said:

We are fans.  We can look ahead all we want.  One luxury of just being a fan.    Do people really still believe in a Jinx?  :lol:

Yes....but we are AUBURN fans. Have you forgotten the horrible mojo unleashed into the universe by the Jeremy Johnson for Heisman fiasco? Or last year's baseball team meltdown possibly caused by all the pre-Omaha sneak peeking by fans. Looking ahead is dangerous territory for us. 

Nothing this team accomplishes should surprise us at this point. I believe that the reason we've been so good is that Bruce was dealt an undersized lineup, and had to adjust. So now we are the avant garde of bringing the GS Warriors lineup of death to college ball. 3 points are better than 2, on defense, we've proven quick can beat big, and stamina beats power....and we hit our free throws, rebound (long shots = a lot ofsecond opportunities), press like hell, share the ball, and our lean fit athletic players have better stamina down the stretch. Good enough for arguably the best team in nba history, good enough for my Tigers.

I definitely believe we are the best team in the conference right now, but, I'm not sure that this team is elite yet. If we had tournament experience I'd have much higher expectations.

7 hours ago, JBiGGiE said:

I definitely believe we are the best team in the conference right now, but, I'm not sure that this team is elite yet. If we had tournament experience I'd have much higher expectations.

It is a lot about matchup....and the route we would have to take.

This year I am thinking there are probably 8-10 possible final four teams if they get the right  opponents.  Certainly nobody looks like a sure thing but we look as good as anyone at times..

I'm still thinking that, at some point, Wiley and his 6' 11" size is going to be missed. So far we've overcome the lack of a big man with hustle and solid coaching. Not sure how far that can carry us when we hit the sweet 16 and beyond. In every game against an opponent that has a true big man or two, there have been numerous plays where the lack of size clearly hurt. I love what we're doing but if we hit another road game like Tuskaloser where the shots weren't falling, we don't have a fall-back inside game.

2 hours ago, Mikey said:

I'm still thinking that, at some point, Wiley and his 6' 11" size is going to be missed. So far we've overcome the lack of a big man with hustle and solid coaching. Not sure how far that can carry us when we hit the sweet 16 and beyond. In every game against an opponent that has a true big man or two, there have been numerous plays where the lack of size clearly hurt. I love what we're doing but if we hit another road game like Tuskaloser where the shots weren't falling, we don't have a fall-back inside game.

Even without the shots falling at Tuskalooer if we had hit FT's like we normally do we could have won that game. That was the only game this year where our FT shooting hurt us. That said I still think the lack of a big man in a tournament setting could hurt our chances to get to the top 4.  Like a few others have said Fla, Kentucky and A&M will go a long way in determining if we can overcome the lack of a big man against talented teams.

I've watched more bball this year than I have in many years. The only top team that I haven't gotten a good look at is Villanova. I think that with us playing like we did UGA (second half)/LSU/Ole Miss we can beat anyone in the country. We might flame out but I sure like this team.

this has been so much fun, from all of the turmoil,to being picked to go 4-14, and now being talked about as a legit final 4 team....so much fun, so much winning bigly and i am not tired of winning

6 hours ago, Mikey said:

There are big men and then there are BIG men like the guys at Duke and Kentucky.... 5* and 7 feet tall or something.  We've not seen anyone like that even AW would probably not match up well in my view.  

BUT....both of those teams have lost so proves they can be had.....and last night Vandy had Kentucky on the UK floor and let a game totally get away from them....right at the end had it won and a guy committed a foolish foul with 2 seconds in their own end of the court. .  Then again, was looking at the Villanova roster and their big guys are 6'9 and looks like only one is a factor.....so it can be done with floor talent and defense.

20 wins and it's still January...let's let that sink in for a minute...I was there Saturday and took my buddy from ATL who had never been to Auburn. What a treat it was for him to get to see such a great offensive performance. We still had too many breakdowns in the paint defensively, and..BTW...could someone please teach Mustapha how to dribble in traffic...he is so sloppy with the ball sometimes.   Can't turn the ball over so much, especially when it gets to be tournament time.  If we can cut down on the continual committing of silly fouls, while maintaining our defensive intensity and shoot like we are capable, I like our chances against any team in the country. We would at very least have a punchers chance in every game.  I am still curious to see how well we shoot free throws down the stretch when things are tough. Poor free throw shooting in my opinion was the difference in the Bama game.  I am hopeful and excited to see what the future holds for us.   Saturday should be fun.  War Eagle Y'all!

Guys on SEC network are just drooling over UT after their win over LSU ......of course at least one of them picked OM last night..  Sure wish we got UT again in AU since they have already discounted our win over them as fluke or something. 

Don't know how long it will take for AU to make believers of the media talking heads.....seem to have an excuse for every team we have beaten lately...and I've got a bad feeling that one loss and we are back down to #23 or something..

So....the best thing is to keep winning and prove a few things in the SEC tournament.

1 minute ago, AU64 said:

Guys on SEC network are just drooling over UT after their win over LSU ......of course at least one of them picked OM last night..  Sure wish we got UT again in AU since they have already discounted our win over them as fluke or something. 

Don't know how long it will take for AU to make believers of the media talking heads.....seem to have an excuse for every team we have beaten lately...and I've got a bad feeling that one loss and we are back down to #23 or something..

So....the best thing is to keep winning and prove a few things in the SEC tournament.

National guys can't say enough good things about us and Bruce especially Seth Greenberg

Archived