AU - Legitimate Final Four Contender?

AUDynasty

7 minutes ago, augolf1716 said:

National guys can't say enough good things about us and Bruce especially Seth Greenberg

I missed him today but the guys on Sirius do seem to give us a fair shake......the SEC network does not give me the same feeling.....especially Dykes...but maybe I'm just too sensitive..:dunno: 

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 minutes ago, AU64 said:

I missed him today but the guys on Sirius do seem to give us a fair shake......the SEC network does not give me the same feeling.....especially Dykes...but maybe I'm just too sensitive..:dunno: 

Dykes is a strange/weird dude imo but I think he gives us a fair shake overall and yes I listen to XM/Serius daily

5 minutes ago, augolf1716 said:

Dykes is a strange/weird dude imo but I think he gives us a fair shake overall and yes I listen to XM/Serius daily

I only have it in my car.....so on a day like today when I hung around the house all morning working on a little church project, I did not get them. I have to say that sometimes I will plan my errands for a time that allows me to get some time with a couple of their programs.   Can't bring myself to pay $100 a year extra to get the broadcast in the house...even with the free radio they offer me about every other week. 

8 minutes ago, AU64 said:

I only have it in my car.....so on a day like today when I hung around the house all morning working on a little church project, I did not get them. I have to say that sometimes I will plan my errands for a time that allows me to get some time with a couple of their programs.   Can't bring myself to pay $100 a year extra to get the broadcast in the house...even with the free radio they offer me about every other week. 

Dang 64 as my Mom used to say there ain't no U-Haul hearse behind you as your going to the pearly gates. Spend it...................

Just now, augolf1716 said:

Dang 64 as my Mom used to say there ain't no U-Haul hearse behind you as your going to the pearly gates. Spend it...................

All my relatives are from Scotland....and my wife's too.....there is only so much that I can convince my self to do...:)  I already spend a fortune on TV just to get SEC network which allows me to stream.    One more "thing" that encourages me to stay home and I might as well pack it in....

40 minutes ago, AU64 said:

I think Dykes has been pretty fair to us when I’ve seen him. Talked us up pretty well during the OM game last night especially.

4 hours ago, fredst said:

I think Dykes has been pretty fair to us when I’ve seen him. Talked us up pretty well during the OM game last night especially.

Yeah, SEC network was all about us last night.  Dari in particular loves AU hoops right now.

13 hours ago, AU64 said:

I think Dykes picked us to win the SEC last night or two nights ago. He loves the way we play. He raves about our effort rebounding and defending. I think some people just continue to question how we will fare against a talented team with legit size across the board, like Kentucky or Florida. And I think it's a legit concern. But to this point, we've answered almost every question or concern people have had about us, usually with definitive statements.

30 minutes ago, boomstick said:

I think Dykes picked us to win the SEC last night or two nights ago. He loves the way we play. He raves about our effort rebounding and defending. I think some people just continue to question how we will fare against a talented team with legit size across the board, like Kentucky or Florida. And I think it's a legit concern. But to this point, we've answered almost every question or concern people have had about us, usually with definitive statements.

Thanks...got him in his pro-Tennessee mode last night I guess.  As for Walker...wish he would lose about 100 pounds and he would be more credible...looks like a former defensive tackle talking about basketball....I have to remind myself who he is every time I see him. 

As for those guys liking us to win...guess it is getting easier for them now that we have a bit of a margin .....no cupcakes in our future...Feb 14 could be a big day for AU ...beating Kentucky is never easy.....should be a rocking game.  

3 hours ago, boomstick said:

Yea, Dykes has us winning the SEC at 14-4, and I think Antoine has Florida winning it at 13-5.  

1 hour ago, SCTiger2011 said:

Yea, Dykes has us winning the SEC at 14-4, and I think Antoine has Florida winning it at 13-5.  

We have 9 games left in the SEC.

Vandy at AU we win

Georgia at Georgia a dog fight but our Tiger wins because of team depth

UK at Auburn - 50/50

SC at SC we win like Georgia tough game but our depth wins it late

bama at Auburn the house is rocking

Fla at Fla another tough one 50/50 but I am leaning towards the good guys

Ark ar Ark could be a let down game but I think we win

SC at Au we win

Just because we play so many tough games it will be hard not to have a bad game or two but I predict we won't lose more than 2 more SEC games this year before the SEC tourney.

24 minutes ago, AuburnNTexas said:

We have 9 games left in the SEC.

Vandy at AU we win

Georgia at Georgia a dog fight but our Tiger wins because of team depth

UK at Auburn - 50/50

SC at SC we win like Georgia tough game but our depth wins it late

bama at Auburn the house is rocking

Fla at Fla another tough one 50/50 but I am leaning towards the good guys

Ark ar Ark could be a let down game but I think we win

SC at Au we win

Just because we play so many tough games it will be hard not to have a bad game or two but I predict we won't lose more than 2 more SEC games this year before the SEC tourney.

I agree completely with this.....and if we do only lose 2, then kentucky or florida have to win out for us not to win the conference.

you almost feel that Bruce has to do very little coaching now (but of course he does). The team knows each other so well now

like a machine. Bruce and assistants make the adjustments needed but he turns em lose and lets them play.

1 hour ago, TigerOne said:

you almost feel that Bruce has to do very little coaching now (but of course he does). The team knows each other so well now

like a machine. Bruce and assistants make the adjustments needed but he turns em lose and lets them play.

are we still talking about a bunch of 19-20 year olds?

4 hours ago, SCTiger2011 said:

Dykes isnt bad, just likes to hear himself talk I think, but hes pretty fair. Walker is pretty much a dud imo Just doesnt offer much, or at least it seems so to me. 

This team is unbelievable.  In my opinion, because I've watched almost everyone play, AU is top 5. Duke, Villanova, Virginia, Would be very hard for AU to beat but we are good enough. If we just had Wiley I think we are undefeated right now.

#4 Duke just lost to 10-13 St Johns.  Should eliminate them from 1 seed contention barring some top collapses.  Also another good thing in Auburn's case for a spot on the 2 line come tourney time.

2 minutes ago, AuburnTiger4Life said:

Two top 5 losses already. If Auburn wins today we're really gonna start getting some national attention 

Lunardi had us #8 in seeding today (so the last 2 seed).  With his number 4 and number 5 losing today, Auburn has a real chance to put themselves in position for a solid 2 seed, or, who knows if Auburn runs the table the rest of the regular season, maybe a....

1 hour ago, ClaytonAU said:

Too early to be talking about anything except Texas A&M. 

I really hate this mindset from fans.  Not picking on you at all, but I see this kind of thing from time to time.   Why can't we as fans talk about whatever we want?  Nothing we say is going to impact the team in any way, shape or form.   I, for one, love the tournament talk.  It's been a very long time since we were part of this conversation.   We should enjoy every second of it.   We all know there's a lot of games still to be played, and anything can happen, but there's zero harm in FANS looking ahead and enjoying the ride.

33 minutes ago, WarTiger said:

I really hate this mindset from fans.  Not picking on you at all, but I see this kind of thing from time to time.   Why can't we as fans talk about whatever we want?  Nothing we say is going to impact the team in any way, shape or form.   I, for one, love the tournament talk.  It's been a very long time since we were part of this conversation.   We should enjoy every second of it.   We all know there's a lot of games still to be played, and anything can happen, but there's zero harm in FANS looking ahead and enjoying the ride.

That's all true but seems from what I've seen over the years that some of our fans develop some unrealistic expectations in their minds and when things don't work as they visualize, there is an immediate search for a scape goat.  AU fans don't handle disappointment very well. ..just my observation.  I see no problem with some people suggesting that fans pump the brakes a bit.

On 1/31/2018 at 6:48 AM, AU64 said:

It is a lot about matchup....and the route we would have to take.

This year I am thinking there are probably 8-10 possible final four teams if they get the right  opponents.  Certainly nobody looks like a sure thing but we look as good as anyone at times..

Agree with this. Making a run in the tournament is often about your draw and who is hot not necessarily who the best teams are. If Auburn gets favorable matchups and is shooting hot they can certainly make a deep run. 

Very premature still, I know; but I came across a link that I think is pretty interesting.

As of February 2nd, the odds of Auburn winning the national championship in Basketball, per Vegas Insider was at 66 to 1. Since Kansas, Duke, and Arizona all fell on Saturday, I would assume these odds have actually improved a bit, even if it is in the slightest. 

I know it’s still early, and we haven’t technically even clinched a tournament bid (if we lose every game from here on out we probably wouldn’t make it).... but do you think this team could do it? Still a lot of tough games to play, but these guys keep proving the doubters wrong, and I see no reason why it should be different the rest of the season. What do you think? Am I insane yet? 

http://www.vegasinsider.com/college-basketball/odds/futures/

Archived