AU - Legitimate Final Four Contender?

AUDynasty

On 1/31/2018 at 7:49 PM, AU64 said:

I missed him today but the guys on Sirius do seem to give us a fair shake......the SEC network does not give me the same feeling.....especially Dykes...but maybe I'm just too sensitive..:dunno: 

Watching game last night Dykes said he was AD at Shiloh that hired Gus (if I heard correctly).....? Interesting factoid...

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'd lay down $50 just for the heck of it at this point.  There's not a truly dominant team out there and we're likely a 3 seed at worst when the season ends, making the return at 66/1 very, very nice.

I just think we still have nine games left before the SECT and people her are talking about being in the Final Four? It’s barely February. 

I would be happy if they just won the SEC regular season.  I would even be more happy if they won the SEC tournament (which I don’t think they’ve ever done).  There are too many SEC games left on the schedule for me to start thinking about the NCAA tournament, much less making it to the Final Four. 

With that said, what I’ve seen of Auburn this year has been awesome, but I can’t confidently conclude that this team is a Final Four contender.

1 hour ago, tigerbrotha12 said:

Very premature still, I know; but I came across a link that I think is pretty interesting.

As of February 2nd, the odds of Auburn winning the national championship in Basketball, per Vegas Insider was at 66 to 1. Since Kansas, Duke, and Arizona all fell on Saturday, I would assume these odds have actually improved a bit, even if it is in the slightest. 

I know it’s still early, and we haven’t technically even clinched a tournament bid (if we lose every game from here on out we probably wouldn’t make it).... but do you think this team could do it? Still a lot of tough games to play, but these guys keep proving the doubters wrong, and I see no reason why it should be different the rest of the season. What do you think? Am I insane yet? 

http://www.vegasinsider.com/college-basketball/odds/futures/

A little surprised they have Bama at better odds than us at this point.

2 minutes ago, Apraser99 said:

Have we peaked too early?

No.  This team still hasn't played two full halves of complete focus on offense AND defense.  And thats the scary awesomeness of it.  Last 8 games have about 5 in them that will have to require their complete focus to win. 

Another weekend of upsets.....helps solidify AU ranking and maybe opens another slot. JMO but what off this mostly shows is that there a more than a half dozen "final four" teams.....and AU could be one of them. An important factor will be where we are seeded and where we play. Hoping the "traditional powers" don't get favored with hometown venues like has happened in the past...the sites for the first and second rounds don't look that appealing to SEC teams....though Nashville looks the best?        http://www.collegesports-fans.com/ncaa-tournament/2018-ncaa-tournament.html     

5 hours ago, fredst said:

Watching game last night Dykes said he was AD at Shiloh that hired Gus (if I heard correctly).....? Interesting factoid...

The bit about him making Gus sit on the bench for all the 7th grade girls basketball games because the coach wasn’t certified was great. 

There's two ways to look how far Auburn can go:

Inexperience: We haven't been tested or proved when we're in crunch time, elimination time tournament. Will we play loose or will we play tight? We can very well flame out in the first weekend.

OR

Inexperience: We haven't been here for so long, so we're going to have fun when no one expected us to make to the tournament, let alone secure a high seed, and boom, we're playing like we've been playing all year, and before you know it we make history. 

Both scenarios are very plausible, and I'm excited to see how far we can go! One thing is for sure--I'm very proud of this crew regardless the outcome. With that being said, let's make to the Final Four and win it all, baby!

On 2/4/2018 at 10:21 AM, ClaytonAU said:

Too early to be talking about anything except Texas A&M. 

Yeah so about this post... 

Maybe, perhaps, could be, somewhat of a long shot......but anything is possible I guess.  

17 minutes ago, AU64 said:

Maybe, perhaps, could be, somewhat of a long shot......but anything is possible I guess.  

Will be so much about matchups and timely shooting. 

Well well....noticed that Purdue lost by one last night also....will be interested to see what what the top 10 looks like....thinking with all the upsets the aggie loss might not affect us too much.

On 2/8/2018 at 11:29 AM, AU64 said:

Well well....noticed that Purdue lost by one last night also....will be interested to see what what the top 10 looks like....thinking with all the upsets the aggie loss might not affect us too much.

Seemed like even with the Herculean effort in the second half to come within an eighth of an inch from victory, that the mojo was just not in our favor...

11 minutes ago, JBiGGiE said:

Seemed like even with the Herculean effort in the second half to come within an eighth of an inch from victory, that the mojo was just not in our favor...

True....but lots of losses in top 15 or so in the past week.....Purdue again today, Duke and some others too.   Just no dominant teams out there anywhere and our good win today should keep us about where we are.    The play without BB was really solid.....good response by Mitchell in my opinion....younger guys made some mistakes and such but overall,  they did great...

Watching Virginia currently on the losing end of a....49-45 battle with VT...with a minute left.  I know they are known for their defense, but I would love to be a 2-3 seed in a bracket with them at the top.

8 minutes ago, SCTiger2011 said:

Watching Virginia currently on the losing end of a....49-45 battle with VT...with a minute left.  I know they are known for their defense, but I would love to be a 2-3 seed in a bracket with them at the top.

OT......

New AP rankings just came out - Auburn down to #10.  Very surprised to see Virginia up to 1 after losing to VT.  

After watching the MSU - Purdue game I really hope we aren't in Mich St's bracket.

If AU goes no worse than 5-1 the rest of the regular season and wins the SEC tournament, I can see them making the final 4. Anything else and I think an elite 8 appears would be the stretch goal for these guys. Hoping for at least a sweet 16 appearance for them right now.

8 hours ago, atl-tiger said:

New AP rankings just came out - Auburn down to #10.  Very surprised to see Virginia up to 1 after losing to VT.  

After watching the MSU - Purdue game I really hope we aren't in Mich St's bracket.

agree

Archived