AU - Legitimate Final Four Contender?

AUDynasty

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I rarely get to watch basketball but I was able to attend the Auburn-Vandy game which was definitely a fun one to watch. I haven't seen the arena that full for anything except graduations! :D

Definitely impressed with our 3-point shooting. That can help negate any size differences we might face. And we can be frustratingly aggressive on defense which is great but could bite us in tournament play as our guys could get fatigued having to play games closer together.

I would be super happy if this team made the Elite Eight and beyond excited if we went further but just making the tourny would be a huge program win (though maybe disappointing if we lost immediately based on the season we've had so far).

I didn't read any of this thread other than the title, but hell no, we are not a final four contender.  We are a legit sweet 16 contender.

wde

13 hours ago, AUIH1 said:

I didn't read any of this thread other than the title, but hell no, we are not a final four contender.  We are a legit sweet 16 contender.

wde

This seems overly pessimistic, or maybe I’m misreading what you’re saying. We’ll likely finish somewhere in the 2-4 seed range which would make us a favorite to reach the sweet 16. If that’s the case, we’d have to win two games we aren’t supposed to (assuming a 3 or 4 seed) to reach the Final Four. That’s certainly difficult, but far from impossible. If I had to handicap our odds of making the final four right now, I’d put us at around 5%. We’re a long shot, but also one of the dozen or so “contenders” imo.

After what I've seen in our games against aTm and UK, I'd say we could make the Final Four. Matchups are going to be key for us to get to the Final Four, however. We can't run into 2-3 teams with significant size advantages that also have guys that can shoot the 3. Purdue would be a huge problem for us. Michigan St and Arizona as well. Heck, there are probably some mid-majors that could scare us too. 

Looking around at some tweets during and after the game.....and UK fans are pretty convinced that the our opposition will be licking their chops to get at us if we are a 2 or 3 seed.    They could be right....and could be in for some surprises too. 

1 hour ago, AU64 said:

Looking around at some tweets during and after the game.....and UK fans are pretty convinced that the our opposition will be licking their chops to get at us if we are a 2 or 3 seed.    They could be right....and could be in for some surprises too. 

Not possible, we won't be playing in the NIT.

6 minutes ago, AU Is Gold said:

Not possible, we won't be playing in the NIT.

yep...more likely UK as things look now.   ?

2 hours ago, AU64 said:

They could be right or they could be wrong. If our Tigers have the range dialed in and their shots are are falling, they could be tough!

All comes down to if we can get hot and stay hot. We've had multiple games were we haven't played well for a half or the whole game. Luckily we have one hell of a team and they have been able to overcome the rough stretches with great defense, offensive rebounding, and spurts of lights out shooting. But i can't imagine we'll be able to be successfull in the tournament getting down by double digits or by shooting less than 15% for large portions of games. But in that same breath i think this team playing at its best is the best team in the country. We can shoot anybody out of the gym and we can play some lock down defense. It'll be hard for the team not to let the pressure get to them when the tourny comes around. But if they can manage that pressure and stay loose we could have one hell of a run. 

Childers said on sports radio this morning that He did not give auburn any chance because of our front court. I assume he means our lack of size. Any of you in the know, what is your take on this?

54 minutes ago, BJCrawford said:

Childers said on sports radio this morning that He did not give auburn any chance because of our front court. I assume he means our lack of size. Any of you in the know, what is your take on this?

Any chance at what? Winning a game? Getting to the sweet 16? 4? Winning it all?

Draymond green plays center a lot in the nba, and he is 6"7. Does that mean with his size that we could not win with him at the 4 or 5? I do not buy what some of the talking heads are saying. I am not saying that we are going to win it all, or anything like that. However, You can not write us off like that. Hope bruce uses that like the 4-14.

3 hours ago, BJCrawford said:

I mean that's been the knock on this team all year. We are short, like the 305th tallest team in the NCAA. It's the biggest deficiency of this team and something the national media has been skeptical about since this run started getting more national attention. It won't go away. We will be predicted by some to get upset really early because of the size issues. It logically doesn't make sense why we're able to do what we've done with that disadvantage. This team just seems to find a way to not let that be a disadvantage. We play bigger than the roster says, and we're more efficient in other areas to help negate some of that disadvantage. And if you haven't watched multiple games of this team play you may not understand how or why they're playing as well as they are.

5 minutes ago, boomstick said:

I mean that's been the knock on this team all year. We are short, like the 305th tallest team in the NCAA. It's the biggest deficiency of this team and something the national media has been skeptical about since this run started getting more national attention. It won't go away. We will be predicted by some to get upset really early because of the size issues. It logically doesn't make sense why we're able to do what we've done with that disadvantage. This team just seems to find a way to not let that be a disadvantage. We play bigger than the roster says, and we're more efficient in other areas to help negate some of that disadvantage. And if you haven't watched multiple games of this team play you may not understand how or why they're playing as well as they are.

I don't think anyone has ever told Desean Murray that he's 6'3". He plays like he is a lot taller. It's fun watching him play with the determination he has. Doubters can say all they want to about Auburn lacking size but this team has convinced themselves they can play with anyone. 

I really thought that playing well we were capable of beating any body I’ve seen play, and I’ve seen every top 40 team at least once. Our margin for error is/was razor thin though and now with AM injured....not sure a deep run is in the cards for us. I’ll just enjoy what we’ve accomplished up until this point and enjoy the rest of the year, come what may.

Archived