image.png

AU offered 1/29/18
18 major conference offers including Clemson, Bama, UGA, Michigan, & Vois
Blocks well and catches the ball well, has great size

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Just now, bigbird said:

Sure looks like we're trying to get a "real" TE.

Yeah. And everyone else is going after Alaimo as we have backed off.

2 hours ago, bigbird said:

Sure looks like we're trying to get a "real" TE.

He has a very nice still set

I think we've been trying. The two best prospects we've signed recently both got involved in tragedies.

7 minutes ago, Mikey said:

I think we've been trying. The two best prospects we've signed recently both got involved in tragedies.

Which helps explain the lack of TE in the offense

9 hours ago, Mikey said:

I've wondered if maybe this series of events resulted in the unintentional trend of not throwing to the TE's.  We lost 2 quality TE's and the coaches felt that we didn't have any replacements that they trusted in the passing game, so they pretty much stopped throwing got them.  Once this happened it became progressively easier to just leave them out of the passing game on a continuous basis.

In many cases the longer a problem is ignored, the easier it becomes to not address it.  

We haven't been able to utilize a Tight End correctly at any point in Gus' tenure. They have all been underutilized.

13 hours ago, Zeek said:

We haven't been able to utilize a Tight End correctly at any point in Gus' tenure. They have all been underutilized.

How old were you when Lutz was here? 

42 minutes ago, ClaytonAU said:

Still didn't utilize him enough as Bird & I have pondered many times over the years.

8 minutes ago, auburnphan said:

best season was 24 catches in 12 games, you call that utilizing him?

I mean I guess not. :dunno: the TE discussion that seems to happen everytime we offer a TE is tiresome

1 hour ago, ClaytonAU said:

2011 correct? I would have been 17. Loved Lutz so much, have a ball or two he signed for me but I always wondered what could have been (regarding his college career) with a little bit more of an emphasis on passing to him.

I know the conversation has been had ad nauseum but I just don't think Gus will ever utilize a TE appropriately.

Regardless, I want a true Tight End very badly for this team. Still not convinced Sal couldn't be a good middle of the field target.

34 minutes ago, Zeek said:

2011 correct? I would have been 17. Loved Lutz so much, have a ball or two he signed for me but I always wondered what could have been (regarding his college career) with a little bit more of an emphasis on passing to him.

I know the conversation has been had ad nauseum but I just don't think Gus will ever utilize a TE appropriately.

Regardless, I want a true Tight End very badly for this team. Still not convinced Sal couldn't be a good middle of the field target.

Just so you know I’m not coming at you, just genuinely wanted to know. I was 12 in 2011!  

Just wondering what level of utilization for a tight end is adequate from your perspective.

7 hours ago, ClaytonAU said:

I mean I guess not. :dunno: the TE discussion that seems to happen everytime we offer a TE is tiresome

Sure is, think by now you would know the stats then.  If Gus gives control of the offense away to Chip...........

It is tiresome that we have to discuss the underutilization/development of talent at almost all offensive positions during the Gus tenure, but that is not our fault, it is what we have to talk about on a discussion board

2 hours ago, creed said:

Just wondering what level of utilization for a tight end is adequate from your perspective.

For me it means using them enough so that a defense has to account for it. Throwing to a TE 2-3 times a year allows a team to play 11 on 10 when you are in passing situations. Schematically, Gus’s system is never going to throw to one 40-50 times in a season and that’s fine. Our H Back has a bigger role. But even if JH is not a future NFL talent, we could easily show some TE passes in games like Mercer and GaSo just to make defensive coordinators know we can if we need to. 

30 minutes ago, Gowebb11 said:

For me it means using them enough so that a defense has to account for it. Throwing to a TE 2-3 times a year allows a team to play 11 on 10 when you are in passing situations. Schematically, Gus’s system is never going to throw to one 40-50 times in a season and that’s fine. Our H Back has a bigger role. But even if JH is not a future NFL talent, we could easily show some TE passes in games like Mercer and GaSo just to make defensive coordinators know we can if we need to. 

It also means, to me, just having those plays available when our other stuff isn't working, or having a safety valve when other guys are covered. 

Do we have a seam route for our TE? Have we ever done that? 

I'm like you. I don't care about volume*. I just want that option to be there when we need it. Hopefully we can accomplish that between Chip and new talent.

*For those who do, I'm not sure that Chip is the savior you're looking for. I don't think that ASU completed 20 total passes to TEs in 2016.

I noticed this year that we threw more tho our H-back Cox, and I am sure that is Lindsey trying to find another receiver in passing situations.

I am just not sure what they want in a TE to utilize him more, than the current TEs don't give to CL. And now in his first full year as OC, we STILL don't sign a TE. So, is it just a smoke screen to want one?

I wonder sometimes if WANTING to use the TE more is just a smoke screen or a wish from us fans.

8 hours ago, Zeek said:

The few times Sal was targeted he did not make the most of it by having some drops if I recall correctly. I like his size for sure but someone needs to be throwing to him every day. He still won't get many his way but at least everyone including himself would have confidence when it was thrown to him. 

16 minutes ago, steeleagle said:

I am just not sure what they want in a TE to utilize him more, than the current TEs don't give to CL.

Chip wants a TE that is very versatile in one that can be a good pass catcher but also be athletic enough to block in space from the HB spot. We don't have that guy on roster now in Harris at least & Skenkar may not have been ready as a True frosh.

So, is it just a smoke screen to want one?

No. Chip wanted one but Gus vetoed him on Alaimo. With all the TE offers that have gone out for 2019, especially recently it looks like Gus in effect said I gotta pull Alaimo from you but go get what you want for 2019.

I wonder sometimes if WANTING to use the TE more is just a smoke screen or a wish from us fans.

It's not.

@ellitor, is there any indication that Canella can improve enough to be “that guy”? He’s got the frame to be dominant. Also, is Lowe the primary TE target for the ‘19 class at the moment?

13 minutes ago, steeleagle said:

I noticed this year that we threw more tho our H-back Cox, and I am sure that is Lindsey trying to find another receiver in passing situations.

I am just not sure what they want in a TE to utilize him more, than the current TEs don't give to CL. And now in his first full year as OC, we STILL don't sign a TE. So, is it just a smoke screen to want one?

I think a TE is going to have to come along that is good enough to make throwing to him look like a better option in certain situations than throwing to someone else or running the ball. We haven't had such a guy come along recently. He'll also have to be the best blocking TE or he won't be on the field that much. Some weeks back I ran the numbers for the recent regular season, SEC only games. AU led the league in scoring, so TE or not, everybody else is behind us in that category. Things can always be improved upon and more TE usage might be an improvement. It's well to remember that every pass thrown to a TE is a play that didn't go to someone else. The TE will have to make the tradeoff look good to the staff before he becomes a major factor.

3 minutes ago, aubearcat said:

@ellitor, is there any indication that Canella can improve enough to be “that guy”? He’s got the frame to be dominant. Also, is Lowe the primary TE target for the ‘19 class at the moment?

I thought last year out of camp they said he caught everything.  Then he dropped an easy pass to start the season and it continued to haunt him.   Does that sound familiar to anyone else

3 minutes ago, Mikey said:

I think a TE is going to have to come along that is good enough to make throwing to him look like a better option in certain situations than throwing to someone else or running the ball. We haven't had such a guy come along recently. He'll also have to be the best blocking TE or he won't be on the field that much. Some weeks back I ran the numbers for the recent regular season, SEC only games. AU led the league in scoring, so TE or not, everybody else is behind us in that category. Things can always be improved upon and more TE usage might be an improvement. It's well to remember that every pass thrown to a TE is a play that didn't go to someone else. The TE will have to make the tradeoff look good to the staff before he becomes a major factor.

I would rather have a 6 o-line formation than a te who will not be involved in the passing game, especially with the edge rushers the SEC produces every year.  The 2 times a year we throw to the 6th o-lineman will shock everyone then!!

Archived