2019 Recruiting

corchjay

This is what I expect the slots for the 2019 class to be used for... 25 total slots

6 OL ( 3 OT, 1 G, 1 C + 1 GT/JC)

5 DL – 11 (2 DT, 1 WDE, 1 SDE, 1 Buck)

2 QB – 13 (plus 1 walkon if possible)

3 LB – 16 (my wish a little size)

1 TE – 17

2 RB – 19 (2 True every down RBs)

2 WR – 21 (1 big WR 1 smaller/quicker)

4 DB – 25 (2 CB 2 S)

I don't see us taking 2 QB.  I would shift that spot to add another DT. I assume we will be losing the bulk of our DL after this year.

24 minutes ago, corchjay said:

This is what I expect the slots for the 2019 class to be used for... 25 total slots

6 OL ( 3 OT, 1 G, 1 C + 1 GT/JC)

5 DL – 11 (2 DT, 1 WDE, 1 SDE, 1 Buck)

2 QB – 13 (plus 1 walkon if possible)

3 LB – 16 (my wish a little size)

1 TE – 17

2 RB – 19 (2 True every down RBs)

2 WR – 21 (1 big WR 1 smaller/quicker)

4 DB – 25 (2 CB 2 S)

Staff is planning to take 4 LBs in 2019. Also don't see us taking 6 DL in 2019 if we get 6 in this class, which is very possible right now. I think we take 5 DL next year if we get 6 now.

13 minutes ago, bigbird said:

I don't see us taking 2 QB.  I would shift that spot to add another DT. I assume we will be losing the bulk of our DL after this year.

I think we will.  Going into 2019 if not we will have only 3 scholarship QBs (Willis, Gatewood, Nix).  I think Gus/Chip likes 4 on the roster and 1 invited walkon.  I don't think we will go after another top rated QB but someone kind of like Tyler Queen

2 minutes ago, ellitor said:

Staff is planning to take 4 LBs in 2019. Also don't see us taking 6 DL in 2019 if we get 6 in this class, which is very possible right now.

If 1 of the 4 to take is a Buck then still works within my numbers, also I had 5 DL listed not 6.  That 5 number could go down to 4 depending on what happens with the Langham kid this year.  If we miss on Langham I expect 5 counting the buck position.

2 minutes ago, corchjay said:

I think we will.  Going into 2019 if not we will have only 3 scholarship QBs (Willis, Gatewood, Nix).  I think Gus/Chip likes 4 on the roster and 1 invited walkon.  I don't think we will go after another top rated QB but someone kind of like Tyler Queen

We took Tyler Queen very early & he was highly rated when we took him. That was before his baseball injury.

Just now, ellitor said:

We took Tyler Queen very early & he was highly rated when we took him. That was before his baseball injury.

Yes I know but was thinking more of end rating of Queen.  Medium 3 star kind of kid not a knock on Tyler 

1 minute ago, corchjay said:

If 1 of the 4 to take is a Buck then still works within my numbers, also I had 5 DL listed not 6.  That 5 number could go down to 4 depending on what happens with the Langham kid this year.  If we miss on Langham I expect 5 counting the buck position.

My bad on the DL number. I always count the bucks with the DLs. My understanding is the staff plans to take 4 non-buck LBs.

Tall, athletic 2019 cornerback talks Auburn offer

At 6-foot-3, Raydarious Jones is going to catch a lot of eyes from college scouts.

Coaches will go see him play in Horn Lake, Miss., where he’s the starting quarterback. Jones thinks he could still grown an inch or two. At 6-foot-4 or 6-foot-5, Jones might wind up as a wide receiver. For now, however, teams are recruiting Jones to be an unusually tall cornerback.

Coming into last weekend, Mississippi State, Ole Miss, LSU and Southern Miss had offered.

Auburn joined the group during his unofficial visit to the Plains.

“Coach [Kevin] Steele and coach [Marcus] Woodson, they let me know they want me to be a part of Auburn. They offered me and asked what it would take for me to be a Tiger,” Jones said. “The people, the people around this campus. They made you feel welcome.”

Just like Dean, his high school teammate: No leaders, no decision timeline.

Jones is enjoying the process.

He fully expects to make a return visit to the Plains at some point in the spring and summer. Auburn coaches went to their high school on Monday, so the Tigers are making their prioritization of the teammates clear.

Any chance the tandem plays college ball together?

“I don’t know right now, but we talked about it a little,” Jones said with a smile.

With Woodson working his Mississippi ties and Nix and (hopefully) Pickens recruiting for us we could do real big things in 2019.

Yes I know but was thinking more of end rating of Queen.  Medium 3 star kind of kid not a knock on Tyler 

Honestly I think a good bit of what we take will depend on attrition. We have got to stop losing upwards to near 15 kids leaving on a yearly basis under Gus that wasn't planned for. We have to do better @ retention & development.

1 minute ago, ellitor said:

My bad on the DL number. I always count the bucks with the DLs. My understanding is the staff plans to take 4 non-buck LBs.

I'm ok with that.  Where the number comes from other position groups is the biggest thing.  Can never have to many good LBs.  We need some size there as well.  Is Wooten the biggest LB T-Will has landed?  I'm talking physical size...

So reading through the thread would this be a more agreeable list and do we believe the number is 25?

6 OL

5 DL

1 QB

4 LB

1 TE

2 RB

2 WR

4 DB

Why not create a thread on the 5* kid WFE & put the article there? You know we are going to have a thread on a kid rated that high so might as well have started the thread instead.

1 minute ago, Zeek said:

So reading through the thread would this be a more agreeable list and do we believe the number is 25?

6 OL

5 DL

1 QB

4 LB

1 TE

2 RB

2 WR

4 DB

Way too early to guess. AU recruiting reporters have not even gotten info on this type of stuff yet. As for the # being 25 it will depend on how this class closes, which again, we don't know yet.

4 minutes ago, ellitor said:

Why not create a thread on the 5* kid WFE & put the article there? You know we are going to have a thread on a kid rated that high so might as well have started the thread instead.

I thought about it but since the article talked about two players I just put it here for now....go ahead and move it.

5 minutes ago, ellitor said:

Honestly I think a good bit of what we take will depend on attrition. We have got to stop losing upwards to near 15 kids leaving on a yearly basis under Gus that wasn't planned for. We have to do better @ retention & development.

Not trying to jinx any kid and I do not have any inside information on possible attrition but I'd put the likely candidates to leave on their own as follows -

Jayvaughn Myers

Kam Martin

Broussard

Prince Sammons

Malik Miller

McClain

And probably 2 more wildcards that frick up and get in trouble.

2 minutes ago, WFE12 said:

I thought about it but since the article talked about two players I just put it here for now....go ahead and move it.

Lol. You could have split the article. I do it all the time.

5 minutes ago, ellitor said:

Way too early to guess. AU recruiting reporters have not even gotten info on this type of stuff yet. As for the # being 25 it will depend on how this class closes, which again, we don't know yet.

18 Seniors as of now in next years class. Plus juniors Stidham, Davidson, Brown will all have the opportunity to leave early.  That puts you at 21 with zero attrition.  

3 minutes ago, corchjay said:

Not trying to jinx any kid and I do not have any inside information on possible attrition but I'd put the likely candidates to leave on their own as follows -

Jayvaughn Myers

Kam Martin

Broussard

Prince Sammons

Malik Miller

McClain

And probably 2 more wildcards that frick up and get in trouble.

I'd be shocked if Kam leaves before next season. Right now he's the leader in the clubhouse for RB PT next season.

Anyway this is not the time or thread to speculate on specific potential departures. If you wish to do that take it to the football forum please.

Just now, ellitor said:

I'd be shocked if Kam leaves before next season. Right now he's the leader in the clubhouse for RB PT next season.

Anyway this is not the time or thread to speculate on specific potential departures. If you wish to do that take it to the football forum please.

You brought up attrition.  But I get your point.  The original post was about numbers total and position grouping numbers.  

18 Seniors as of now in next years class. Plus juniors Stidham, Davidson, Brown will all have the opportunity to leave early.  That puts you at 21 with zero attrition.  

Not sure where you got 18. I just counted 10 current JRs still on roster that will be rising SRs. Was 14 before Carlton, Holland, KJ, & Bubba left.

1 minute ago, ellitor said:

Not sure where you got 18. I just counted 10 current JRs still on roster that will be rising SRs. Was 14 before Carlton, Holland, KJ, & Bubba left.

You're correct.  I was counting the ones still listed on the roster plus walkons... 

3 minutes ago, corchjay said:

You brought up attrition.  But I get your point.  The original post was about numbers total and position grouping numbers.  

True but I was speaking in terms of an overall problem that needs to be addressed by the staff. Not looking for specific names.

53 minutes ago, bigbird said:

@bigbird who do you move inside next year? Newkirk for sure goes inside.  Coe or Davidson or do you think they stay on the edge.  I hope both stay outside.  

Archived