2019 5* LB Nakobe Dean (UGA)

ellitor

Three seniors there that will be gone after this season. Three more high school players that haven't taken a snap. For as long as I've been watching it, it takes around three quality LB's a year to maintain. We do have some numbers, but Davis is the only one I see that might be all-SEC come year's end.

We need three this time to avoid another all-SEC drought. A lot of years passed between Josh Bynes and Tre Williams, let's don't have that happen again.

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 minutes ago, Mikey said:

Three seniors there that will be gone after this season. Three more high school players that haven't taken a snap. For as long as I've been watching it, it takes around three quality LB's a year to maintain. We do have some numbers, but Davis is the only one I see that might be all-SEC come year's end.

We need three this time to avoid another all-SEC drought. A lot of years passed between Josh Bynes and Tre Williams, let's don't have that happen again.

I'm still waiting on McBryde to step up...

32 minutes ago, bigbird said:

Davis Sr

Williams Sr

Atkinson Sr

Richard McBryde JR

Chandler Wooten So

K.J. Britt So

Josh Marsh Fr

Zakoby McClain Fr

Michael Harris Fr

HS signeees

To me that's a crowded position group, especially when the majority of the time only 2 are on the field at a time.  To me, we are no longer scrambling to fill, but rather maintaining the LB position.  The attrition rate you like to quote has not been applicable since TWill has taken over. Our development and retention rates are very high. JMO

To me, we have their backups backups on campus.

kWM51.gif

12 hours ago, Zeek said:

I'm still waiting on McBryde to step up...

Several need to step up. We have a lot of names there and the only three that have accomplished anything worth speaking of are all seniors.

Conversation from a long time ago:

Fan to me: "You've got seven pitchers on your team!"

Me: The Braves have 11 pitchers on their squad. Me and the Braves have the same problem, lots of pitchers and none of 'em can get anybody out".

Moral of that story: Just because there's a long list of players doesn't mean you have quality starters and quality depth. We also have a long list of DB's but we better be out there recruiting some more because several of those names are that only, a name.

History has shown that recruiting fewer than three LB's per class is heading for the doldrums. We got away with the dismal LB class of 2016 because Muschamp had signed 5 the year before.

7 hours ago, Mikey said:

Several need to step up. We have a lot of names there and the only three that have accomplished anything worth speaking of are all seniors.

Conversation from a long time ago:

Fan to me: "You've got seven pitchers on your team!"

Me: The Braves have 11 pitchers on their squad. Me and the Braves have the same problem, lots of pitchers and none of 'em can get anybody out".

Moral of that story: Just because there's a long list of players doesn't mean you have quality starters and quality depth. We also have a long list of DB's but we better be out there recruiting some more because several of those names are that only, a name.

History has shown that recruiting fewer than three LB's per class is heading for the doldrums. We got away with the dismal LB class of 2016 because Muschamp had signed 5 the year before.

I’ll dance at your wedding if Britt is not quality.

23 hours ago, Mikey said:

I hope you are right. Maybe I'm just gun shy because of prior years, but I've seen times when there are "plenty" of, (LB, DT, OT) you name the position, but LB in particular, when we are said to be in good shape with a number of them and then watch them slowly, one-by-one, slip away. The tune "Another One Bites the Dust" comes to mind. When it's done we are left with a handful of less than what we needed. Pappoe is a great catch but he can't do it by himself. We NEED two more LB and another that can play the buck position. There's a lot of gettin' left to do.

This is so true and I hope it changes under T-Will.  We will see.  He said that Auburn is recruiting players that they plan on leaving in 3 years so that if you want kids that can step in and play then you have to recruit them every year.  I read this as needing 3 studs every year.  Some will fall to normal attrition.  Some will have injuries, and some just won't translate to the college game as well for whatever reason.  With the pounding they take and needing a two deep I think our roster looks like there is too many but in reality some have not seen the field much in 3-4 years.  We have 2 guys in the LB room that have seen extensive playing time that we know can be counted on without injuries.  We all hope that Britt and Wooten will be the next studs up and that  McClain and Harris will push them and compete with them for playing time.  Other than than that it is all hope.  Like I said before, I think we need 3 and a minimum of 2 every year to keep the roster healthy and competitive.  Those 2-3 don't need to be fall back guys and going forward I don't anticipate that they will be. 

43 minutes ago, AUDevil said:

I’ll dance at your wedding if Britt is not quality.

Bring a gun. If I ever have another wedding I'll need to be shot. Now, I'm delighted with the wife that I have now but I can't imagine seeking a "next one". :)

Concerning Britt, I have high hopes for him too but he hasn't accomplished much yet. We lose three seniors off that list, plus an unknown but certain to exist few will disappoint, transfer, get injured or what have you. We need to sign three quality LB's this year, and every year for that matter.

I feel dejavu every time I read @Mikeyposts on a lb’er thread! ? 

2 hours ago, toddc said:

When you have a solid message there is no reason to change it. The only place I disagree with Mikey is I want 2 every year and 3 every other year. Now if we achieve Twill's goal of LB's that go Pro every three years then I would say we need 3 every year.

17 minutes ago, AuburnNTexas said:

When you have a solid message there is no reason to change it. The only place I disagree with Mikey is I want 2 every year and 3 every other year. Now if we achieve Twill's goal of LB's that go Pro every three years then I would say we need 3 every year.

Wasn’t being negative, I totally agree with most of his posts. He does have a solid message man!

6 hours ago, Mikey said:

Bring a gun. If I ever have another wedding I'll need to be shot. Now, I'm delighted with the wife that I have now but I can't imagine seeking a "next one". :)

Concerning Britt, I have high hopes for him too but he hasn't accomplished much yet. We lose three seniors off that list, plus an unknown but certain to exist few will disappoint, transfer, get injured or what have you. We need to sign three quality LB's this year, and every year for that matter.

Told that all the young LBers looked real good this spring. 

9 minutes ago, WarDamnEagleWDE said:

But can they play football? :rimshot:

43 minutes ago, WarDamnEagleWDE said:

Not sure where this kid ends up. 

Seems unlikely we get 2 5* LB in same class, but man how sweet it would be!!!

1 hour ago, WarDamnEagleWDE said:

That would be a solid PLUS. I wonder where Marsh ends up?

6 hours ago, toddc said:

@Mikey is consistent.  I like it.   I do hope that the combination of the TWill factor, nickel and dime packages, and less attrition lead to needing to recruit less than 3 a year, but until then....

If we only sign 2 this year, I can’t think of a better duo than OP and ND!  That would be SICK!!!!

On 5/23/2018 at 8:37 AM, ellitor said:

To be fair that was mostly pre T-Will.

Just remember you are talking to the person who pushes back the most on T-Will.....

2 hours ago, WarDamnEagleWDE said:

Not sure where this kid ends up. 

I bet he goes to Stanford. Just biding his time until he hears if he gets accepted there or not. Will be the yearly big time recruit we go after now that ends up at stanford. At least this time though we do not lead for him. If he does not go to stanford I doubt it is AU.

22 minutes ago, AUpreacherman22 said:

@Mikey is consistent.  I like it.   I do hope that the combination of the TWill factor, nickel and dime packages, and less attrition lead to needing to recruit less than 3 a year, but until then....

If we only sign 2 this year, I can’t think of a better duo than OP and ND!  That would be SICK!!!!

FWIW the plan is to sign 3 LBs & a Buck.

1 hour ago, Mikey said:

He is more “safety size” right now.  But his dad is huge!  I think they may be anticipating him growing into a solid LB.  Just my guess.  

16 minutes ago, GwillMac6 said:

Just remember you are talking to the person who pushes back the most on T-Will.....

I_Know_Huh.jpg~c200

1 hour ago, Mikey said:

Will

I agree with @Mikey 3 every year not counting the Buck at all as a linebacker.   3 traditional linebackers.  Every other year you can sign a S/LB tweener and see which way he develops.  But take the big bodied safety and move him down.  Don’t take the smaller backer from high school and try to move him into coverage.  

Lots of UGA buzz with his mom calling it the best visit so far...

https://www.dawgnation.com/football/recruiting/nakobe-dean-georgia-recruiting-unofficial-visit

It sounds as if the Georgia Bulldogs will be in it for the long haul with 5-star inside linebacker Nakobe Dean.

Dean, fresh off an unofficial visit to Athens this past weekend, had a lot to say about that trip. Was it his best unofficial visit to a college campus?

The nation’s No. 1 ILB prospect (247Sports composite rankings) used the word “definitely” in his answer to that topic.

When I begin to hear the subsequent buzz about Dean potentially choosing Georgia over the next few months and down the stretch of his decision, I will think of the following things.

He holds a 4.7 grade-point-average and his father is a physician. Dean will seek out a great academic fit.

That said, it appears that Stanford should no longer be seen as the contender that some reports have made them out to be.

Dean does not plan to make his decision until approximately Dec. 13. That’s his birthday. He will then sign on Dec. 20.

Can he enroll early? He’s planning on doing just that, but it also sounds like he will have to smooth out a few wrinkles with Horn Lake High School in Mississippi.

The engaging way that his mother told a story about Georgia assistant Dan Lanning implementing the Dean family “Freestyle Friday” event with his own family. She saw it with her own eyes on a FaceTime feed.

His mother, Neketta Dean, shared that “Freestyle Friday” story with DawgNation. It is just as intriguing a detail as her thought the UGA trip was also her best-ever college visit, too.

How “Freestyle Friday” connects the Deans with UGA

Nakobe Dean grew up with a “Freestyle Friday” tradition in his household. That’s a chill day.

The kids could eat chicken wings. Or play video games. Friends could be invited to come over. Those things weren’t allowed in their home except on Fridays and Saturdays.

Nakobe Dean will not make his college decision known until December. That will likely be on Dec. 13. It will be his 18th birthday. (Sam Spiegelman/SEC Country)

“It was something sometimes like playing board games or a dance contest,” his mother said. “So then Coach [Dan] Lanning said he liked that. He sent me a [Facetime] video one day of him and his three boys and his wife were all like ‘Mrs. D, it is our Freestyle Friday and we’re loving it and having fun’ and to me, it showed that he was listening to us and really valued the relationship. He incorporated something that we did into his own family home. That just adds a personal touch to things and it gets a little more personal with things going both ways between us and Coach Lanning there.”

She said that her son already loves “the realness” of the recruiting approach of the UGA staff.

“It is the realness right now of the coaches at UGA that outshines some of the other schools,” she said. “Some schools are kind of pushy. Some schools don’t push enough. They have just the right mixture at Georgia. They push. But not too much. Their care and concern just go above and beyond.”

It starts with Lanning.

“I have mad respect for his recruiting coach Dan Lanning at Georgia,” Neketta Dean said. “He has already pulled the family in and made us feel like a part of the Georgia family already. That’s Coach Lanning. That’s Coach [Mel] Tucker and Coach [Glenn] Schumann and even Coach [Kirby] Smart. They are making us feel like we have a true place there at Georgia. Not just for what he can do for them on the field but also the true great person they feel they can help my son to become.”

Neketta Dean shares her view on the UGA opportunity

His father, the family practitioner, doesn’t have a favorite college visit or a favorite school so far.

“My momma loves Georgia,” Nakobe Dean said. “She loves Georgia. To her, it was the best college visit she ever had.”

His mother has been on almost every college visit her son has taken, too. So that’s a big sample size.

“It was the best college visit I have had thus far,” Neketta Dean said. “With most of the other visits, it is the same old routine. They talk. They tour. Talk and tour. Whatever. I guess that Coach (Kirby) Smart and his staff have found a way with this to make it interesting and engaging. They did a scavenger hunt but the fun thing about the scavenger hunt is that almost every building and every facility at the school was a part of that scavenger hunt. So as we were coming up to every building, we would talk about it. They took all of that and made it all very fun and very engaging.”

Nakobe Dean rates as the nation’s No. 1 ILB prospect in the class of 2019 per the 247Sports composite standard. (Sam Spiegelman/SEC Country)

She noted the little things, such as the academic advisors at the ready who were attached to the departments of the university which interested the prospects.

“It was just an awesome day,” she said. “It was educational but fun. The right words to use here are informative and fun. It has been the best visit so far. It outshined all the rest. So far.”

His mother enjoyed the visit. She sang those praises about Georgia, but she also indicated (when asked) that she has not yet selected her favorite school for her son to attend.

“To be honest for me, my No. 1 for him is his overall well-being with his health and faith,” she said. “My No. 2  would be his academics. But then the No. 3 is football. It will take care of itself. I’m not really concerned about the depth chart and where he is going to play. Is he going to be a redshirt or what? Whatever that may be. That is not going to be my interest when I go to these universities.”

Mothers always know best. She shared interesting little details about her son and his humility. He must have done 11 back-to-back interviews on a chilly Sunday in March at The Opening Atlanta regional. Dean did several of those with a blanket draped over his shoulders.

“We’re not big on titles and stars and rankings,” she said. “We know all of those will go away next August when he is on a college campus. All of those can change. He won’t go to college as a big-shot 5-star. That’s a ‘right now’ title and he doesn’t get caught up in titles. That’s something that somebody else has put upon him. We know those things can change. We also know that he has to work and grind.

“His input will be what creates his output. Input equals output. That’s what it is for us. .. Everything that people talk about with him now, well next year there won’t be anyone talking about that.”

It seems as if Dean is always studying. When he left The Opening, he told DawgNation he was going to study his anatomy and physiology texts the 5-plus hour ride on the car ride home. When it was time for his prom, his mother found him studying an hour before he had to leave for that event.

It is no small wonder that the last “B” grade he picked up was in middle school.

What did Nakobe Dean think of his recent visit to UGA? 

Ingenuity.

That’s a quick way to describe how he looked at that recent unofficial. That scavenger hunt concept combined some physical activity with an information fact-finding tour with competition. It was informative on the sly.

Nakobe Dean ranks as the nation’s No. 2 ILB and as the nation’s No. 25 overall prospect on the 247Sports composite rankings. (Jeff Sentell/DawgNation)

“That visit was great,” Nakobe Dean said. “I’m glad that I got to hang around the coaches at Georgia a little bit more in a way without the stress and business of recruiting. That really allowed me to see more of the campus. I got to see the whole campus because of that whole scavenger hunt. I toured the campus without it actually feeling like a big tour of the campus because I was on a scavenger hunt.”

That came without the trappings of having to go from point A to point B to check out the school facilities.

“I already thought very highly of Georgia in the first place coming into the visit,” Dean said. “But this visit was more of a ‘get comfortable’ visit with Georgia. The coaches. The people. Some of the recruits I might play with. I loved that aspect. Just that aspect of getting more comfortable with the thought of playing in Athens.”

Did the combination of getting to know the coaches along the scavenger hunt in a relaxed setting wind up being his best and most enjoyable visit so far?

“Yes, sir,” Dean said. “Definitely.”

How does he feel about the way Georgia recruits him?

“I feel like they recruit me pretty straight forward,” Dean said. “It is more like what they can do with me and the number of other guys they bring in. The things they tell me about the number of guys they bring in every year. There’s not anything fake about it. It is just real.”

Dean told DawgNation that he’s thinking about flipping the script on his previous plan about narrowing his top schools. He has a top 15 at this time and had thought about dropping it to a top 8 at some point during the summer.

“I might push it all the way to the end of the summer,” Dean said. “Just come out with a top 5 or a top 3 at the end of the summer.”

He said it would be hard to cut his many options down to a top 3 or a top 5 right now. That’s why he will need to kick the tires on that decision across the summer months.

The nation’s No. 27 overall prospect said that UGA will definitely get an official visit. He also said that he has very few remaining questions about the Bulldogs.

There will be a big visit weekend for recruits in July up ahead. That’s when the Bulldogs will unveil their completed locker room in the new West End Zone project. That might draw him back on his next visit to UGA.

He’s also never seen a game in Sanford Stadium. His official visit will be able to remedy that.

Dean hoped to take another unofficial visit to FSU on Wednesday but wasn’t able to do so because of a sinus infection.

Sounds like the mom is a little hotter on UGAly than her son is. The Facetime thing sounds kinda hokey and fake to me but I don't know... if you met someone with a 5* athlete who also had a 4.7 you might consider some of their parenting advice as well lol.

Archived