Let's Talk some BASEBALL

Not softball. Tired of all the attention this off-season on softball. We've got a possible number one draft pick pitching for us this spring and a deadly batch of returning starters that have a lot of potential to run through the non-conference, compete in the SEC, and get into a super regional this year. Lots of experienced infielders back along with some outfielders returning who have waited their turn for a while. A really exciting recruiting class with 3 or 4 guys who will probably be able to contribute heavily right away in Brendan Venter, Stephen Williams, and Tanner Burns. A coach who I really believe has the ability to take a team to Omaha.

There's not enough baseball talk on this forum!!

http://www.auppl.com/2018/01/2018-auppl-auburn-baseball-preview.html?m=1 

Edit: This is NOT an attack on softball. I love me some softball and can get up for a game any day, but I’m ready to talk some baseball

Love our softball team, but thank you! I've been itching to hear about some baseball! Really looking forward to seeing this team this year. I really believe CBT is one of the best of the business, and people here will be ecstatic about the product he puts on the field as long as he's at AU. 

With the amount of interest in both they may deserve separate forums. During this time of year it is easy for a new baseball/softball thread to get "buried" by a more recent softball/baseball thread.  Don't seem to have the same problem with basketball.   Although I am mainly a softball follower; can't overlook the quality of our new baseball coaching staff and the very impressive recruits.  Good reason to be excited there.  

Our team is loaded with potential this year.  With that, they still may finish 5th or 6th in the West.  The division is that tough.  Expect us to make a regional and love our chances anywhere we go with Casey on the mound in Game 1.

3 hours ago, Brad_ATX said:

Our team is loaded with potential this year.  With that, they still may finish 5th or 6th in the West.  The division is that tough.  Expect us to make a regional and love our chances anywhere we go with Casey on the mound in Game 1.

Do we know that Casey is back to 100%....thought I saw somewhere that he was still getting back into good form.  ?  

On 1/31/2018 at 4:44 PM, OlderWhiskey said:

...who do you see as the starting lineup?  I'm assuming Jarvis at short and Josh at third, after that I'm adrift.

I would assume the way Holland finished the year at SS he will be there and Luke Jarvis will be a 2B.  I'm not sure anybody got many (any?) innings at 3B besides Anthony, don't seeing it being any different this year.  Ingram or Davis at 1B and hoping Steven Williams is the guy they project behind the plate, otherwise it's Rojas but if it was going to be him, it wouldn't have required Haecker making a position change after three years.  I assume Estes and Jeremy Johnson are likely to be in LF and CF respectively, but some young guys (Ward, Evans) will push them for playing time.  Possibly Connor Davis in RF.  Mize and Daniel will be Friday and Saturday starters.  Sunday will be Comacho/Burns/Other?

1 hour ago, AuburnTiger4Life said:

Can't wait to see how they play my alma mater South Alabama this year. Always a tough one for me to watch 

I halfway expected Calvi to wind up in Columbia when the Chad Holbrook experiment ended. Dude can flat out coach and convinces his Jags to battle Auburn tooth and nail every time they play. 

1 hour ago, AuburnTiger4Life said:

Can't wait to see how they play my alma mater South Alabama this year. Always a tough one for me to watch 

I also graduated from South. I'm back here now for my second degree. I'll be at the game when AU comes here for sure. I'll definitely be sporting orange and blue though. 

On 1/31/2018 at 3:44 PM, OlderWhiskey said:

Brotha, who do you see as the starting lineup?  I'm assuming Jarvis at short and Josh at third, after that I'm adrift.

Here’s how I think it’ll play out:

CF- Judd Ward

2B- Luke Jarvis

DH- Brendan Venter

1B - Dylan Ingram

RF- Conor Davis

C - Stephen Williams

3B - Josh Anthony

LF - Jay Estes

SS - Will Holland

This is very similar to the starting lineup at the end of last year with a few pieces plugged in at positions that were filled by last years seniors. Venter and a Williams are both big time freshmen and Judd Ward has been heralded as the second coming of Jonah todd. While I wouldn’t go that far, I do think the new guys will step in pretty easily and be big contributors. 

Im actually at a spring World Series game now and guess who’s playing first base for the orange? None other than Josh Anthony. 

If they want to get Anthony, Ingram, Venter, and Williams in the lineup, they’ll have to experiment with a few different lineups in case the need comes up to move guys around some. Wouldn’t be surprised to see Ingram in the outfield a few times this year even. 

Also, Mize just hit 98 on the gun. Holy Big Leagues 

1 hour ago, tigerbrotha12 said:

Im actually at a spring World Series game now and guess who’s playing first base for the orange? None other than Josh Anthony. 

If they want to get Anthony, Ingram, Venter, and Williams in the lineup, they’ll have to experiment with a few different lineups in case the need comes up to move guys around some. Wouldn’t be surprised to see Ingram in the outfield a few times this year even. 

Also, Mize just hit 98 on the gun. Holy Big Leagues 

Venter is a natural 3B and Anthony was a catcher before he came to Auburn...doesn't really have a natural position...acclimated himself very well at the hot corner so it wouldn't be a stretch (get it??)  for him to play first.

If Mize is up in that stratosphere on the first week of February, well then he's healthy.  I am absolutely certain Butch wouldn't turn him loose like that if he weren't.  Now if he and Daniel can stay right and the Freshman shows up....this team could be really really good.  I'm very interested to see if CoachGabeGross 2.0 is a more reliable iteration.

7 hours ago, PowerOfDixieland said:

I halfway expected Calvi to wind up in Columbia when the Chad Holbrook experiment ended. Dude can flat out coach and convinces his Jags to battle Auburn tooth and nail every time they play. 

Hes amazing. He loves his guys and loves South Alabama and it shows. 

I would agree that I wish the baseball/softball forums were split.  Softball reigns supreme of the two in the amount of postings here (not complaining, the ladies have definitely earned their following), but baseball is in a position for the first time in a LONG time to not just put in good seasons over the next several years, but to be a national contending force.  

On 2/11/2018 at 2:47 PM, SCTiger2011 said:

I would agree that I wish the bNon-AU Sportsaseball/softball forums were split.  Softball reigns supreme of the two in the amount of postings here (not complaining, the ladies have definitely earned their following), but baseball is in a position for the first time in a LONG time to not just put in good seasons over the next several years, but to be a national contending force.  

I disagree.  We don't have separate forums for mens and women's basketball.  There's no reason to have separate forums for Baseball and Softball.  There isn't enough stuff out there to justify a forum of just one of those sports.  If the forums were split now, there would be barely 10 threads on baseball. The forum would be completely dead.  The big factor to an active forum [for anything] is success on the field.  We have the right coach now in the baseball program, and I expect success to come very soon.  With winning comes conversation.     This used to be a baseball only forum, but because of the success of the women's program in recent years, it was only fitting to combine the two into one forum.    Baseball is definitely in a position to have consistent success but we aren't there yet. 

55 minutes ago, WarTiger said:

I disagree.  We don't have separate forums for mens and women's basketball.  There's no reason to have separate forums for Baseball and Softball.  There isn't enough stuff out there to justify a forum of just one of those sports.  If the forums were split now, there would be barely 10 threads on baseball. The forum would be completely dead.  The big factor to an active forum [for anything] is success on the field.  We have the right coach now in the baseball program, and I expect success to come very soon.  With winning comes conversation.     This used to be a baseball only forum, but because of the success of the women's program in recent years, it was only fitting to combine the two into one forum.    Baseball is definitely in a position to have consistent success but we aren't there yet. 

agree

3 hours ago, WarTiger said:

With all due respect, WT, and I'm not intentionally being a millennial a** here I promise, you can't really disagree with a wish ?. And while I realize I have little (read: none) pull here, I felt id at least vocalize my wish. To me (and the many who have loudly told me this to shape my view the past fifteen years when I used to think otherwise), baseball and softball are two VERY different sports, it's not really a good analogy to compare it to basketball. I see the reasoning, and I'm not all that upset about it. Until the winds of Wins start to pile up at Plainsman Park to the point where some people will actually give a damn, I'll happily continue scrolling through the two or three dedicated baseball topics that might be on the first page of the forum af any given time.

5 hours ago, AUEagle14 said:

How fast is Ward?

Not elite.  Perfect Game has him at 6.84 in the 60 yard dash, which is, relatively speaking, fast.  Bio on the Auburn baseball website shows he stole 81 bases in 144 career high school games, which is...fast. :big:

1 hour ago, PowerOfDixieland said:

Not elite.  Perfect Game has him at 6.84 in the 60 yard dash, which is, relatively speaking, fast.  Bio on the Auburn baseball website shows he stole 81 bases in 144 career high school games, which is...fast. :big:

That's nice to see....we sure have lacked real base stealing speed the last several years....which of course is not the same as track speed. 

Fast enough to steal 81 bases in 144 games sounds fast enough to me....just hoping he can get on base often enough to take advantage of his skills in base running.

Okay, I don't follow baseball.. well, at all really. But I know we had a hell of a season last year and I saw that they still predicted us to finish second to last and just ahead of Bama. What gives? Is the West just THAT good in baseball? I know LSU and State have been contenders but c'mon!

9 hours ago, PowerOfDixieland said:

Thanks.

2 hours ago, Linayus said:

Okay, I don't follow baseball.. well, at all really. But I know we had a hell of a season last year and I saw that they still predicted us to finish second to last and just ahead of Bama. What gives? Is the West just THAT good in baseball? I know LSU and State have been contenders but c'mon!

The West is really good this year. I read that MSU is dealing with the injury bug again, though.

Archived