Congratulations Asa Martin, Mr Football

BJCrawford

11 minutes ago, bigbird said:

Let's hope he does better than our last 4

Um....  KJ did a pretty good job in my book.  I know JJ was not what we wanted, but who were the other 2?  Was one Roc?

12 minutes ago, LKEEL75 said:

Um....  KJ did a pretty good job in my book.  I know JJ was not what we wanted, but who were the other 2?  Was one Roc?

KJ, JJ and Roc were the most recent 3.  Perhaps hes referring to Yeldon in 2011 that flipped?  Next closest one would be Clint Mosely in 2008.

Anyways, congrats Asa!

Certainly we’ll deserved, kid had one heck of a year. He’s got it all. If he works out like our last, we in great shape. 

1 hour ago, LKEEL75 said:

KJ did great this year. Otherwise, IMO, he was often injured and didnt reach his potential.

14 minutes ago, bigbird said:

KJ did great this year. Otherwise, IMO, he was often injured and didnt reach his potential.

Very true.  One of the reason I don't blame him for going pro.  Get his carries in while he can then come back and finish his degree if not completed.

13 minutes ago, bigbird said:

KJ

Roc

JJ

Clint 

Yeah, I forgot about Clint.  You had a good point @bigbird.  We really haven't had as much success out of these guys as one would hope

MR. FOOTBALL WINNERS

1982: Tommy Compton, Vigor
1983: Freddy Weygand, Emma Sansom
1984: Rod Green, Gardendale
1985: Pierre Goode, Hazlewood
1986: Larry Ware, Lee-Montgomery
1987: Robert Jones, Parker
1988: Darrell Williams, Vigor
1989: Steve Coleman, Pike County
1990: David Palmer, Jackson-Olin
1991: Robert Davis, Homewood
1992: Freddie Kitchens, Etowah
1993: Thomas Banks, West Jefferson
1994: Dawud Rasheed, Shades Valley
1995: Gorman Thornton, Jeff Davis
1996: Antoneyo Williams, Central-Tuscaloosa
1997: Mac Campbell, Alexandria
1998: DeMarco McNeil, Blount
1999: Cory Whisenant, Springville
2000: Carnell Williams, Etowah
2001: Brandon Cox, Hewitt-Trussville
2002: JaMarcus Russell, Williamson
2003: Chris Nickson, Pike County
2004: Jarod Bryant, Hoover
2005: Andre Smith, Huffman
2006: Larry Smith, Prattville
2007: Julio Jones, Foley
2008: Clint Moseley, Leroy
2009: Coty Blanchard, Cherokee County
2010: Jamal Golden, Wetumpka
2011: T.J. Yeldon, Daphne
2012: Jeremy Johnson, Carver-Montgomery
2013: Roc Thomas, Oxford
2014: Kerryon Johnson, Madison Academy
2015: Tyler Johnston, Spanish Fort
2016: La’Damian Webb, Beauregard
2017: Asa Martin, Austin

Congrats to Asa Martin for named Mr. Football in Alabama. As the list shows, Auburn has a rich history of landed Mr. Football in Alabama. Asa jons a great list.

Got an opportunity to attend the banquet yesterday.  If you ever get the opportunity to attend do so.  It is a fantastic event for the top players in the state.  I was very impressed.

21 hours ago, AlaskanFAN said:

1985: Pierre Goode, Hazlewood

That guy was a freaking legend in North AL. Played every skill position, returned kicks and kicked PATs. Broken numerous offensive state records, I think some still stand today. I thought he would end up killing us in every Iron Bowl, but was never seen except on kickoff returns and was an average one. Lost all four Iron Bowls.

Goes to show all-state high school talent doesn’t always equal College stardom.

I think Asa will be a 1000 yard rusher possibly in 2018 and for sure in 2019. Just a hunch tonight. We are loaded at RB with the class coming in. I think HJ is going to do some damage carrying the ball as well. We could have a 1-2 punch with HJ and Asa next year that could lead the SEC or be in the top 5 no doubt.

50 minutes ago, doc4aday said:

I think Asa will be a 1000 yard rusher possibly in 2018 and for sure in 2019. Just a hunch tonight. We are loaded at RB with the class coming in. I think HJ is going to do some damage carrying the ball as well. We could have a 1-2 punch with HJ and Asa next year that could lead the SEC or be in the top 5 no doubt.

I like Asa. Not too sure about the rest of them. Hoping Whitlow is the jewel.

10 hours ago, alexava said:

Don't sleep on Shivers.

It's hard to get optimistic about the rest. Gus didn't want to play the other 3 guys already on campus when we really needed to sit KJ, and Joiner doesn't seem to be destined for normal RB duties. 

21 hours ago, alexava said:

who is Whitlow? Never heard of him.

Thanks for the list....and a number of guys had modest college careers .... 

Even for Mr.  Football winners it's a big jump to the SEC...but the award is about their HS careers of course and not what they might do at the next level.    So, congrats to Asa...... happy to have him at AU. 

Archived