Woodson doing early work in Mississippi

GwillMac6

Will new DB coach Woodson improve Mississippi recruiting?

Auburn has taken a mixed approach to the state of Mississippi in recent recruiting classes.

It isn’t easy to pick prospects out of the state, but it happens. Alabama, Florida State, LSU, Louisville, Tennessee and TCU have all dipped into Mississippi to pull out top-300 prospect since the 2015 recruiting class. As much as Auburn has tried, the Tigers haven’t had the same amount of luck with high school recruits in Mississippi.

In fact, from the 2015 class to the 2018 class, Auburn offered 17 high school prospects from Mississippi. None of them ended up in the Tigers’ classes.

Here’s a look at the caliber of prospects and number of Auburn offers since the Class of 2015:

• 2015: 6 prospects from Mississippi in top 300; Auburn offered five prospects.
  • 2016: 10 prospects from Mississippi in top 300; Auburn offered six prospects.
  • 2017: 7 prospects from Mississippi in top 300; Auburn offered six prospects.
  • 2018: 3 prospects from Mississippi in top 300; Auburn offered zero prospects.

The 2015, 2016 and 2017 classes were strong talent-wise in Mississippi, especially in 2016. Auburn gave solid effort in each of those recruiting classes to haul in talent from the neighbor state, but here weren’t any results to show from it. In fact, the last Mississippi high school prospect to choose Auburn was offensive lineman Deon Mix, who recently transferred to Houston.

That’s why, in the 2018 class, Auburn worked more on its Alabama-Georgia-Florida pipeline when the talent level dropped some in Mississippi.

Auburn is taking an entirely new approach to the 2019 class.

The Tigers strategically hired Memphis defensive backs coach Marcus Woodson to be the 10th assistant, and he has deep ties to Mississippi. He arrives at a convenient time as the Mississippi class for 2019 is one of its strongest in recent memory.

There are already 11 prospects ranked in the top 300 and seven offers — two outside the top 300 for now — already have been passed out by the Auburn staff. Take a look at that group:

• 5-star linebacker Nakobe Dean*
  • 4-star defensive end Nathan Pickering*
  • 4-star defensive end Charles Moore
  • 4-star running back Jerrion Ealy*
  • 4-star athlete Brandon Turnage*
  • 4-star athlete Diwun Black
  • 4-star wide receiver Dannis Jackson
  • 4-star defensive end Byron Young
  • 4-star defensive end Jaren Handy*
  • 4-star defensive end De’Monte Russell
  • 4-star linebacker Zach Edwards
  • 3-star defensive end Jamond Gordon*
  • 3-star cornerback Raydarious Jones*

—Prospects Auburn offered marked with asterisk (*)

Dean and Jones took visits to Auburn last weekend. Pickering, Jackson and Turnage will take visits to Auburn this weekend. Ealy has been on campus previously. If you look toward the 2020 class, 5-star defensive lineman McKinnley Jackson — committed to LSU right now — also will be at Auburn this weekend.

There’s no question what we’re witnessing is the Marcus Woodson effect. He has been the point man for all of these prospects since coming to Auburn. Woodson will be the primary recruiter in Mississippi to go along with his assistance in South Florida.

If Auburn is going to pick up non-JUCO Mississippi prospects, Woodson will be the best bet. With the increased talent in 2019 and 2020, the Woodson hire makes a ton of sense from a recruiting standpoint.

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply

With Bo Nix already on board, I would love to see AU start getting some huge commits and get on a roll similar to what UGA did this year. Would be great to go into fall with a top 5 class on board already. WDE!

12 minutes ago, Gowebb11 said:

With Bo Nix already on board, I would love to see AU start getting some huge commits and get on a roll similar to what UGA did this year. Would be great to go into fall with a top 5 class on board already. WDE!

Got to keep winning big 10/11 games a year....imo losing those last two games at the end of the year does not help

Gotta fish where the fish are....

As Wolk noted, Mississippi has been weak for a number of years and JMO but probably not worth killing ourselves over a couple guys ...and looks like there are/were not many fish in our local pond either as far as SEC quality players.   State of Georgia was loaded this year and we seemed to do pretty well.  

We don't seem to have any natural geographic area where we can dominate the recruiting process and coaches (and whoever is doing the scouting) have to look toward the future to be ready for a good crop from the region.   Looks like timing might be good for Woodson.

9 minutes ago, AU64 said:

As Wolk noted, Mississippi has been weak for a number of years and JMO but probably not worth killing ourselves over a couple guys ...and looks like there are/were not many fish in our local pond either as far as SEC quality players.   State of Georgia was loaded this year and we seemed to do pretty well.  

We don't seem to have any natural geographic area where we can dominate the recruiting process and coaches (and whoever is doing the scouting) have to look toward the future to be ready for a good crop from the region.   Looks like timing might be good for Woodson.

Problem for MS. is overall competition is not very good so its hard to judge overall talent imo

14 minutes ago, augolf1716 said:

Problem for MS. is overall competition is not very good so its hard to judge overall talent imo

Agreed. I lived there few years and noticed that there are some exceptional athletes, but there are still a lot of small town schools and a lot of kids there don't have high school coaches networking to promote them. Also, a lot of them don't hit the camp circuit. I believe the Woodson hire was a good move by Gus, and in his second year I expect Porter to open more doors in Louisiana. 

7 minutes ago, Gowebb11 said:

Agreed. I lived there few years and noticed that there are some exceptional athletes, but there are still a lot of small town schools and a lot of kids there don't have high school coaches networking to promote them. Also, a lot of them don't hit the camp circuit. I believe the Woodson hire was a good move by Gus, and in his second year I expect Porter to open more doors in Louisiana. 

Porter really helped us in south florida late in the cycle! He is starting to flex those crutin muscles like we always knew he could!

40 minutes ago, AU64 said:

That is why we seem to be in this recruiting purgatory of staying in the 7ish to 10 range and never being able to crack the top 5. As a non state school we do not have the luxury of many  slam dunk sure thing recruits who will commit to AU. We are a top program but it is no secret our coaches have to work a lot harder than the LSU, Bama and Georgias of the world to secure top talent.

1 minute ago, GwillMac6 said:

That is why we seem to be in this recruiting purgatory of staying in the 7ish to 10 range and never being able to crack the top 5. As a non state school we do not have the luxury many  slam dunk sure thing recruits who will commit to AU. We are a top program but it is no secret our coaches have to work a lot harder than the LSU, Bama and Georgias of the world to secure top talent.

Amen.....not many schools that are not the State name university are able to bring in a good class year in and year out.   Clemson and FSU have done well but they have prospered at least partly, because their state's namesake universities have fallen on hard times.    I guess this stuff goes in cycles but a while back I was looking for Alabama kids in the Rivals 250 or whatever it is.....and there were maybe 5 or 6 and most of those were in the middle of the pack or lower. Bama picked up a couple but they have gone national and only pick up a few from in state now.  In state, we've held our own or exceeded what they have done. 

3 minutes ago, AU64 said:

Amen.....not many schools that are not the State name university are able to bring in a good class year in and year out.   Clemson and FSU have done well but they have prospered at least partly, because their state's namesake universities have fallen on hard times.    I guess this stuff goes in cycles but a while back I was looking for Alabama kids in the Rivals 250 or whatever it is.....and there were maybe 5 or 6 and most of those were in the middle of the pack or lower. Bama picked up a couple but they have gone national and only pick up a few from in state now.  In state, we've held our own or exceeded what they have done. 

Football-BE.png

We are always the top non state school in rankings like this. I believe in most college football wins all time we are the top non state school or at least 2. It really is remarkable what we have accomplished with the 2 greatest college coaches ever having coached at our main rival across the state. We basically have a hand tied behind our back  as we do not have the built in advantages of our main competition and still are one of the top teams most years. If we could just be more consistent recruiting will get easier.

1 minute ago, GwillMac6 said:

Football-BE.png

We are always the top non state school in rankings like this. I believe in most college football wins all time we are the top non state school or at least 2. It really is remarkable what we have accomplished with the 2 greatest college coaches ever having coached at our main rival across the state. We basically have a hand tied behind our back  as we do not have the built in advantages of our main competition and still are one of the top teams most years. If we could just be more consistent recruiting will get easier.

Is Michigan State not a state schools?

1 minute ago, LKEEL75 said:

Michigan is the main school in michigan. just like Ohio State is the main one in ohio and not Ohio.

2 minutes ago, LKEEL75 said:

I think the reference is to the state name University...Mich State is the AU of that State, same as Tex A and M or Kansas State.

Let’s wait until coach Woodson does something other then make offers before we go praising him.  Also coach Porter,  TE was a priority for him this year and for Gus/Chip.  Still haven’t signed a TE.  

Just now, corchjay said:

Let’s wait until coach Woodson does something other then make offers before we go praising him.  Also coach Porter,  TE was a priority for him this year and for Gus/Chip.  Still haven’t signed a TE.  

Not just making offers. He got the number 1 player in the state to visit last week when a lot of teams were clamoring to get him on campus. 

3 minutes ago, corchjay said:

and did me and you switch roles?! since when are you mr realist and I am mr positive?! haha. https://247sports.com/Coach/Larry-Porter-622 I would say mr porter did pretty well for himself this season being behind on relationships. I look at the tight end situation like this. It was clearly Luke Ford or bust. We would of got alaimo if we pushed. We did not. Decided to go a different direction. Come on coach!!! get excited about this infusion of new recruiters on staff!! WAR EAGLE!

22 minutes ago, GwillMac6 said:

and did me and you switch roles?! since when are you mr realist and I am mr positive?! haha. https://247sports.com/Coach/Larry-Porter-622 I would say mr porter did pretty well for himself this season being behind on relationships. I look at the tight end situation like this. It was clearly Luke Ford or bust. We would of got alaimo if we pushed. We did not. Decided to go a different direction. Come on coach!!! get excited about this infusion of new recruiters on staff!! WAR EAGLE!

I’m excited about the possibilities but I give credit when credit is due.  I also dish out criticism when it is.  For example LSU this year

2 hours ago, augolf1716 said:

Got to keep winning big 10/11 games a year....imo losing those last two games at the end of the year does not help

I totally agree, but there were so many after the season saying the loss in the bowl game ment absolutely nothing. LoL... I hope we keep winning 10-11 per season, but back to back 10 win seasons have only happened once in our entire history. Hopefully we start to buck that trend.

1 minute ago, corchjay said:

I’m excited about the possibilities but I give credit when credit is due.  I also dish out criticism when it is.  For example LSU this year

wayyuuuuul looks like Coach Porter deserves some credit from you. I am the same way. I hate when people call it being negative. That is why I said you were being a realist.

1 minute ago, Auburn2Eugene said:

I totally agree, but there were so many after the season saying the loss in the bowl game ment absolutely nothing. LoL... I hope we keep winning 10-11 per season, but back to back 10 win seasons have only happened once in our entire history. Hopefully we start to buck that trend.

the sec title game loss was a massive loss and meant SO MUCH. we were 3 wins away from a national title. there was a clear path in place. It totally took the winds out of our sails in recruiting. AND BEFORE E comes in and blurts out RELATIONSHIPS RELATIONSHIPS RELATIONSHIPS I fully believe with those 50/50 battles down the stretch the sec title game tipped the scales in favor of georgia. Especially with Trey Hill.

18 minutes ago, Randman5000 said:

Its a smart move imo with Kirby about to put Georgia top notch players on ? down. 

yessir! I always have felt MS was ripe for the pickings. They have no great in state powerhouse. On paper you think we could cherry pick a couple each year. Especially with a new State coach with no ties to the southeast and ole miss who was just ravaged by sanctions.

15 minutes ago, Randman5000 said:

Its a smart move imo with Kirby about to put Georgia top notch players on ? down. 

There are too many top-notch players in the state of Georgia for Kirby to do a lock down. I think we'll continue to do as well as we always have in Georgia.

4 hours ago, augolf1716 said:

True. It's a good thing for some of these early high rated MS kids they have done good work at regional & national camps early.

4 hours ago, Gowebb11 said:

I expect Porter to open more doors in Louisiana. 

How well Porter opens doors in Louisiana will coincide w/ How well LSU does on the field. LSU has a real chance this year of going 6-6, 3-5 in the SEC, & finishing 4th in the West. All of which could put Coach O's job in jeopardy.

Archived