Woodson doing early work in Mississippi

GwillMac6

48 minutes ago, corchjay said:

I’ve turned over a new leaf I’m gonna try to get into sparring matches.  But the counter to your facts is he is a position coach as well and he hasn’t signed a player for his position.  I’m sure some will say Gus said no to Alimo but no one knows that... and as a position coach it’s your job to find a TE the head guy wants.  

But when the head guy has had a recruiting history of putting all his chips in one basket and that recruit plays the coach right up to signing day....................

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply
7 hours ago, AU64 said:

Talking about where the talent is...did a quick scan and count on Rivals 250 for 2018....

Texas 32, Georgia 26 Louisiana7, Alabama 4 , Mississippi 1.

Not like that every year but Alabama was weak....weak....this year....and Mississippi....

This is why I believe we would benefit yearly if we had one top flight recruiter hitting TX.  32 is an insane number and the lure of the SEC is nationwide.  

46 minutes ago, Beaker said:

This is why I believe we would benefit yearly if we had one top flight recruiter hitting TX.  32 is an insane number and the lure of the SEC is nationwide.  

Agree ...though the entire nation recruits Texas but looks like there are plenty to go around

So.....maybe put a branch office of the Athletic Department out there and have a full time coach/scout live in the area.   Isn't that what Chip Kelly did when he was at Oregon...or did the guy just show up with those "scouting reports" that he paid for ? 

19 hours ago, Randman5000 said:

Its a smart move imo with Kirby about to put Georgia top notch players on ? down. 

There is no about to.  Kirby is getting the top players in Georgia and somehow UGA recruits NC lights out as well.

7 hours ago, NorthGATiger said:

UGA recruits NC lights out as well.

They have 2 recruits in their class not from their geographic area. A 3* OT from Oklahoma & Luke Ford. W/ due respect that is nowhere near lights out nationally.

6 hours ago, ellitor said:

They have 2 recruits in their class not from their geographic area. A 3* OT from Oklahoma & Luke Ford. W/ due respect that is nowhere near lights out nationally.

Not Nationally.  NC is North Carolina.

1 hour ago, NorthGATiger said:

Not Nationally.  NC is North Carolina.

Statement is still inaccurate. There have been 43 4*s or better out of North Carolina the past 4 years. UGA has signed only 1. Zamir White this year.

On 1/31/2018 at 8:46 PM, Mikey said:

There are too many top-notch players in the state of Georgia for Kirby to do a lock down. I think we'll continue to do as well as we always have in Georgia.

Well we better put on our big boy britches and get to work because it's going to be an uphill battle from here on out imo. 

Beating him on the field will do wonders...

He can only take 25 per year and some of those will come from out of state. There are more players in Atlanta than the entire state of Alabama so no way he can lock them all down. We just need to get our share of the ones UGA does not take and not lose those guys to UT, FSU, UF or USCe.

17 hours ago, AU64 said:

Agree ...though the entire nation recruits Texas but looks like there are plenty to go around

So.....maybe put a branch office of the Athletic Department out there and have a full time coach/scout live in the area.   Isn't that what Chip Kelly did when he was at Oregon...or did the guy just show up with those "scouting reports" that he paid for ? 

The "agent" or recruiter for Kelly lived in TX I think.  I can't remember his name.   I think he was associated with a couple of other schools, but the other programs cut ties a lot sooner than Oregon did.   I will gladly set up an Auburn satellite office in Dallas and work for the new AD.   If you want to get that ball rolling I will send you my number so you can pass it along to the AD.  I am an incredible judge of HS talent and can tell Gus how to coach better.   

26 minutes ago, Beaker said:

The "agent" or recruiter for Kelly lived in TX I think.  I can't remember his name.   I think he was associated with a couple of other schools, but the other programs cut ties a lot sooner than Oregon did.   I will gladly set up an Auburn satellite office in Dallas and work for the new AD.   If you want to get that ball rolling I will send you my number so you can pass it along to the AD.  I am an incredible judge of HS talent and can tell Gus how to coach better.   

I can set one up in East TX too. Just let us know

Beaker and Bird....I appreciate that y'all would like to have someone do all the work for you to create this new job....but perhaps you can draft up a "plan" and submit same to the new AD.  Tell him what you have in mind,  how you would approach the job....how much time you could dedicate to it ...maybe just get paid a modest rate plus expenses but somehow be an authorized representative of the school in such a way as to avoid NCAA problems, etc. etc.    Do the "rough" scouting for them to identify prospects.....work kind of like baseball scouts do for MLB. .......do some good will stuff with the HS coaches, etc. etc.  

I'm thinking this a viable possibility if presented correctly.  You are clever guys and I bet you can do that.  

Porter was a nice hire all the way around. Great Recruiter and an pretty darn good coach

. I think Woodson will bring in some great talent as well. Keep those top 10 classes coming and we will be fine. Kids will come and beating bammer and the mutts did help this year. Bowl game was a bummer, but I think it did not hurt too much.

21 hours ago, AU64 said:

Hire Bird as our Texas recuiter

3 hours ago, bigbird said:

I can set one up in East TX too. Just let us know

Hopefully they would let you work your regular job and then pay you top $ for every 4*  and 5* you found and we signed and an exorbitant amount for any 5* QB you were able to pull for Auburn.  Best of both worlds keep coaching which you love and lots of extra income.:bananadance:

2 minutes ago, AuburnNTexas said:

Hire Bird as our Texas recuiter

Hopefully they would let you work your regular job and then pay you top $ for every 4*  and 5* you found and we signed and an exorbitant amount for any 5* QB you were able to pull for Auburn.  Best of both worlds keep coaching which you love and lots of extra income.:bananadance:

I would need a little staff to help with logistics. You interested?

2 minutes ago, bigbird said:

Sure if you want somebody with out any recruiting skills I am your man.

14 minutes ago, bigbird said:

An thus begins another bureaucracy for Auburn University....within a year he will need a secretary and access to a private jet....:)

2 minutes ago, AU64 said:

An thus begins another bureaucracy for Auburn University....within a year he will need a secretary and access to a private jet....:)

Just gas money

3 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

You got 'em right where you want 'em. Now is when you make the push for free brisket and tacos. And brisket tacos. 

That should be a given

2 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

You got 'em right where you want 'em. Now is when you make the push for free brisket and tacos. And brisket tacos. 

Shoot if you can get a commitment to the same expense account rules that the rest of the coaching staff gets, you will do just fine...

And that said....I was only half kidding about the Texas regional office.   Not sure how the rules work but having a former player or coach in the area who could scout around is not a bad idea.   I know our coaches get films and stuff but having a first "interview' with a prospect by someone who lives in the area and can talk up the school with the coaches...that sounds like a reasonable idea. 

6 hours ago, Randman5000 said:

Well we better put on our big boy britches and get to work because it's going to be an uphill battle from here on out imo. 

Beating him on the field will do wonders...

This year we have A)Beaten him on the field and B)Signed or have committed 7, yes, seven four-star prospects from Georgia and we're probably not through there. What more do you want?

7 hours ago, ellitor said:

Statement is still inaccurate. There have been 43 4*s or better out of North Carolina the past 4 years. UGA has signed only 1. Zamir White this year.

I'll give you the 4 years but Todd Gurley, Keith Marshall, and Zamir is a pretty dang good haul from that state

1 hour ago, Mikey said:

This year we have A)Beaten him on the field and B)Signed or have committed 7, yes, seven four-star prospects from Georgia and we're probably not through there. What more do you want?

We need more 5* kids from Georgia and elsewhere.  I like Asa but I love Zamir.  To me, only my opinion, 4* players are great and they are what programs are built on. 5* players are game changers.  They are just at another level.  Obviously not all of them as we have seen too often for my liking.

Archived