Wimp sanderson meltdown lmbo

aubiefifty

Ex-Alabama coach calls radio crew 'idiots,' rips ESPN analysts in hilarious segment

Updated 3:33 PM; Posted 3:33 PM

Former Alabama basketball coach Wimp Sanderson at the Alabama-Georgia game in 2013. (Vasha Hunt/vhunt@al.com )

1 share

By Michael Casagrande

mcasagrande@al.com

A well-known soft drink company sponsoring a 14-minute radio interview Thursday was money well spent.

The six packs commemorating Alabama's football championship got some quality time the second Wimp Sanderson's segment began.

"I heard y'all's show," the former Alabama basketball coach began. "It's a joke."

ADVERTISING

From there, it was on.

Appearing on The Roundtable on WJOX-FM in Birmingham, the 80-year old legend ripped into hosts Jim Dunaway, Ryan Brown and Lance Taylor the whole time.

Radio gold in its purest form resulted from the weekly 11 a.m. Thursday phone interview.

Sanderson wasn't pleased with the preceding assessment of Alabama's basketball loss to Missouri the night before. The man who coached the Tide program from 1980-92 had pointed criticisms for the hosts, bracket projections, television analysts and Arkansas.

Listen along with the play by play that follows from one of the more entertaining interviews on radio. It's worth noting everyone in the studio was laughing through this. No blood was spilled -- all in the game of broadcasting sports views. The notable soundbites are noted with the timestamp in bold.

After saying Dunaway was the only one with sense, he took issue with his perception of Brown comparing the Alabama situation to LSU with Ben Simmons two years ago.

1:27 Sanderson: "You need to call your daddy, Ryan. And get your daddy to explain that to you."

In a phone interview with AL.com after the show, Brown said Sanderson met his dad at an event in Birmingham and often brings him up when ribbing the host.

ADVERTISING

They argued a bit about the pace of things, to which Sanderson noted he wasn't "passing the offering plate today." He was going to say what needed to be said. Noted.

The retired coach transitioned to the atmosphere in Coleman Coliseum on Wednesday night. It wasn't too electric, which turned into a chicken vs. egg deal. Sanderson wanted to know if the hosts thought it was the crowd's job to create the atmosphere or if it was on the team to get them loud.

The Roundtable crew agreed it was on the team to get things going.

2:13: Sanderson (practically shouting): "Well you're all three stupid! And you ought to be off the cotton-picking show."

Sanderson also wasn't a fan of Brown comparing football and basketball.

2:28 Sanderson: "I've seen football get their butts beat a hundred times before Brown was ever born."

Someone in the studio asks if Stone Cold Steve Austin is on the phone. Earlier, there was a Jim-from-Tuscaloosa reference comparing it to the infamous Paul Finebaum caller.

Why is it the crowd's job, the hosts ask?

2:55 Sanderson: "You're trying to help me get better, you idiots!"

That led into Sanderson making a comparison to Ryan Brown's daughters doing math problems.

3:24 Sanderson: "You guys are idiots when it comes to coaching. You always have been and you always will be."

Nobody argued.

They got back to discussing Simmons, whether this Alabama team would be better playing in Cameron Indoor Stadium and more.

6:57 Sanderson: It was not the fans' fault. So, when you guys call in to bust my butt when the show is over. Fine. It's not the fans' fault."

They talked about the difference in era from when Sanderson led the Tide to 10 NCAA tournaments in 12 seasons

7:53 Sanderson: "Dog gone it, I'm so hacked off, I forgot what I was going to say. What was I going to say? I had something important to say. Ask me something else."

Sanderson then said five SEC teams would be in the tournament if it started today: Alabama, Auburn, Florida, Tennessee and Kentucky.

In the studio, someone points out ESPN tournament expert Joe Lunardi also has Arkansas in his bracket.

9:35 Sanderson: "Arkansas, think I'm going to throw up if Arkansas is in it."

He also didn't enjoy the ESPN2 broadcast of the Alabama loss to Missouri on Wednesday night.

9:47 Sanderson: "What's his name, (Daymeon) Fishback who gets on there and drives me crazy. Last night, those two people who did that game, I turned them off and watched the game and just looked at the game."

In the studio, they pointed out it was a different former Auburn player, Laphonso Ellis who joined Beth Mowins on the call.

10:09 Sanderson: "Well Fishback needs to go stick his head in a bucket of water. He played for Sonny (Smith) or somebody. He doesn't know left from right."

Back in the studio, they pointed out it was Cliff Ellis who coached Laphonso Ellis from 1996-00.

They went on to argue about the value of the RPI and whether the NCAA selection committee cares about it. Sanderson said they don't.

The retired coach, when asked how to use Alabama star Collin Sexton more effectively, said the point guard should dribble-drive more and kick to teammates when they're open.

Wimp says the RPI doesn't mean much to the selection committee.

They repeated the sponsorship for a third time back in the studio.

13:18 Sanderson: "I'll probably be advertised by water next week after this deal. Not water from Piggly Wiggly, the faucet. ... Anyway, I love you guys."

Everyone back in the studio agrees.

This radio opera is winding down but not before they make things right.

13:46 Sanderson: "Anyway, if you have basketball questions, just call me."

13:53 Studio: "All right Wimp, love you."

13:54 Sanderson: (sounding reluctant): "Love you, bye"

Michael Casagrande is an Alabama beat writer for the Alabama Media Group. Follow him on Twitter @ByCasagrande.

18 hours ago, AUFlyer99 said:

^^Same here.  

Wimp's segment is usually one of the only things I don't hate listening to on that "show".  

Brown saying "love you", and Wimp saying "love you" back gets me every time they have him on. 

Archived