Looking Ahead: Washington

RunInRed

• Replies 157
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, RunInRed said:

They are returning a damn good team ... not sure I would place this bet but a good team nonetheless.

Totally up to Big Game Gustav to have our equally talented team ready to play on Game 1.

wde

2 hours ago, AUIH1 said:

Totally up to Big Game Gustav to have our equally talented team ready to play on Game 1.

wde

At this point I hate that the game is in Atlanta. I think I would rather it be at their place considering how we've performed in the Benz since it is not a home game.

2 minutes ago, gr82be said:

At this point I hate that the game is in Atlanta. I think I would rather it be at their place considering how we've performed in the Benz. 

We should be prepared to play wherever and whenever. We were thinking that Atlanta was our 2nd home not too long and now we dread going there. It shouldn't matter where it is. Some fans are more nervous about the location than the opponent.

Auburn was THE BEST team in the country before we ran out of gas due to an impossible schedule. We will be better next year. Washington has no chance.

46 minutes ago, WFE12 said:

We should be prepared to play wherever and whenever. We were thinking that Atlanta was our 2nd home not too long and now we dread going there. It shouldn't matter where it is. Some fans are more nervous about the location than the opponent.

Correct in that they should be ready to play whenever, wherever. I'm always nervous about the first game regardless of the opponent and that's not just since Gus has been coaching. Dye and Tuberville laid some golden eggs when they shouldn't have with Miami, Georgia Tech and USC in my opinion. Dreading Atlanta is hopefully just a fan thing with me that doesn't cross the minds of the players at all. 

7 minutes ago, gr82be said:

Correct in that they should be ready to play whenever, wherever. I'm always nervous about the first game regardless of the opponent and that's not just since Gus has been coaching. Dye and Tuberville laid some golden eggs when they shouldn't have with Miami, Georgia Tech and USC in my opinion. Dreading Atlanta is hopefully just a fan thing with me that doesn't cross the minds of the players at all. 

It better not. I, myself, am not ready for the incessant use of the not losing in Atlanta 3 straight times mantra only to lose again. All players should have a killer mindset and have it regardless of where the location is. We CAN beat them....it's up to the coaches to have the right gameplan and especially the o-line needs to be set and ready.

We need to kick 2 bad habits in 2018: losing season openers on the road against top 10 teams like Washington (we're 0-6 since 1957) and getting into - then looking dreadful while losing - top tier bowl games. 

7 hours ago, Grumps said:

Auburn was THE BEST team in the country before we ran out of gas due to an impossible schedule. We will be better next year. Washington has no chance.

The schedule is just as tough than last year's or tougher; how do we not run out of gas again?

4 hours ago, WFE12 said:

The schedule is just as tough than last year's or tougher; how do we not run out of gas again?

We play them in game #1, not game 13.....with an experienced team in most key positions, that should help...

18 hours ago, gr82be said:

At this point I hate that the game is in Atlanta. I think I would rather it be at their place considering how we've performed in the Benz since it is not a home game.

It should actually be an advantage for us this time. There's no way a PAC team travelling from about as far away as you can does a better job of filling seats than us for the first game of the season. It should be the equivalent of a home game for us.

If we lose, it won't be because of the crowd. I stand by my belief that this game lies firmly in the hands of Brown and Woodson.

6 hours ago, AU64 said:

We play them in game #1, not game 13.....with an experienced team in most key positions, that should help...

As usual the O-Line will be the question mark. Also hoping no injuries to safeties in fall Camp. I think D will be fine and we will be fine at skill positions on O but we are replacing some key starters on O-Line. Probably our top 2 in Smith and Golson

7 minutes ago, AuburnNTexas said:

As usual the O-Line will be the question mark. Also hoping no injuries to safeties in fall Camp. I think D will be fine and we will be fine at skill positions on O but we are replacing some key starters on O-Line. Probably our top 2 in Smith and Golson

True but I keep reading good things about the guys we have redshirted...and the OL coach...I'm optimistic....

11 hours ago, WFE12 said:

I don't think we can keep from running out of gas again if UGA and UAT are as good as they were last year. I don't think ANY team can go 3-0 against UGA/UAT/UGA in 4 weeks. If you look at just AU and UGA and UAT this year. We were 2-1, UGA was 1-2 and UAT was 1-1, and we were the only one of the three that was not in the playoff.

23 minutes ago, lionheartkc said:

It should actually be an advantage for us this time. There's no way a PAC team travelling from about as far away as you can does a better job of filling seats than us for the first game of the season. It should be the equivalent of a home game for us.

If we lose, it won't be because of the crowd. I stand by my belief that this game lies firmly in the hands of Brown and Woodson.

We'll have more people due to proximity, but don't underestimate how many folks UW will bring.  It's a holiday weekend and their fans are very excited about this game.  My office's are based out of Seattle so I travel there a few times a year.  Had people talking smack to me about this game BEFORE the start of the 2017 season.

1 minute ago, Brad_ATX said:

We'll have more people due to proximity, but don't underestimate how many folks UW will bring.  It's a holiday weekend and their fans are very excited about this game.  My office's are based out of Seattle so I travel there a few times a year.  Had people talking smack to me about this game BEFORE the start of the 2017 season.

IIRC, Petersen had those Boise people traveling pretty well to some pretty far away destinations. 

Plenty of flights from Seattle to Atlanta and they won't even have to rent a car. Sexy dome, a city that's in the spotlight a little bit these days, Southern food, hip hop, strip clubs... what's not to love

18 minutes ago, AU64 said:

True but I keep reading good things about the guys we have redshirted...and the OL coach...I'm optimistic....

What's on paper doesn't give me comfort. OL replacements tend to be the hardest to replace and jell with. No matter how talented the replacements are, it's going to be very tough for 4 new linemen to work well in protecting our QB and handling blitzers and opening holes for our RBs without game experience. 

If you remember, last year with all that experience in the OL coming back, after the 1st 2 games (especially the Clemson game), he totally changed the line bc it wasn't working well. 

3 minutes ago, steeleagle said:

What's on paper doesn't give me comfort. OL replacements tend to be the hardest to replace and jell with. No matter how talented the replacements are, it's going to be very tough for 4 new linemen to work well in protecting our QB and handling blitzers and opening holes for our RBs without game experience. 

If you remember, last year with all that experience in the OL coming back, after the 1st 2 games (especially the Clemson game), he totally changed the line bc it wasn't working well. 

The good news is that 3 of those guys have a lot of reps. And Grimes isn't Hand.

I think that's probably all the good news.

1 minute ago, McLoofus said:

The good news is that 3 of those guys have a lot of reps. And Grimes isn't Hand.

I agree Grimes is a plus over Hand, and I think and hope he gets them more prepared than Hand did.

But itt still haunts me to hear our linemen say after the bowl game they had serious problems communicating all game long. lol..

19 hours ago, WFE12 said:

While I agree, the reality is we have not beaten a quality* opponent away from Jordan-Hare since November of 2014. Don't know why we play so poorly in big games from home, but it will have to change.

My definition of quality = team that finished the season in the Top 25

17 minutes ago, steeleagle said:

I agree Grimes is a plus over Hand, and I think and hope he gets them more prepared than Hand did.

But itt still haunts me to hear our linemen say after the bowl game they had serious problems communicating all game long. lol..

We shuffled linemen all season and most of it was due to injuries....and some guys played all positions if I recall.  JMO but that as much as anything was the major issue.   Hoping we are able to settle in and keep everyone where they perform best. 

20 hours ago, gr82be said:

Screw  that crap.  The MSB is where we want to play at the end of the season every end.  Just because Kirby bent Gussy over and made him like it in the SECCG and UCF bent Gussy over and made him like it in the Peach Bowl doesn't mean our next coach in a few years (unless Gus gets his head out of his ass in championship and bowl games) won't be up to the challenge.  Prove me wrong Gustav.

wde

27 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

Are we still in running for another playable OL?

Archived