Looking Ahead: Washington

RunInRed

15 minutes ago, keesler said:

Don't lose to an LSU team coached by a damn shrimp boat captain & AU would've had a decent chance for a spot in the CFP. :angry:

Still making that unfounded assumption that if we beat LSU that rest of the season plays out the same way?  

Shoot, maybe in the bama game, NS would have realized at the half that Hurts was not getting the job done and decided to bring in Tua....and he lights up our defensive backfield...and we lose that game? 

• Replies 157
  • Created
  • Last Reply
31 minutes ago, keesler said:

Don't lose to an LSU team coached by a damn shrimp boat captain & AU would've had a decent chance for a spot in the CFP. :angry:

Laugh emoticon for that part only.

You're absolutely right. 20 point lead. Poof. We literally stopped scoring points on purpose and tried to win the game with only one half of our team. Shrimp boat captain. Don't know what that makes Gus that day, but it ain't good. Even Forrest Gump would've would've kept a 20 point lead by accident. 

16 minutes ago, AU64 said:

Still making that unfounded assumption that if we beat LSU that rest of the season plays out the same way?  

Shoot, maybe in the bama game, NS would have realized at the half that Hurts was not getting the job done and decided to bring in Tua....and he lights up our defensive backfield...and we lose that game? 

Keep in mind, in the spirit of the debate, these are "all things being equal" situations.  Not butterfly effect alternatives.

Either way it's all hypothetical.

19 minutes ago, AU64 said:

Still defending Gus for needing bad losses to learn how to win?

20 minutes ago, AU64 said:

I'm making the assumption that going into the SECCG had Auburn only had the one loss to Clemson (a top 4 ranked team) AND still lost to UGA in the SECCG that Auburn would've had a much better shot at a spot in the CFP than a one loss Bama team who didn't play in the SECCG.    We'll never know how the committee would've voted, but I feel like we'd have had a fighters chance if our only losses were to two top 5 ranked teams. 

6 minutes ago, AU64 said:

Looking back is fun to do and everybody can put up different scenarios as the season unfolds.  There are a lot of ways a season can go based on certain critical games.  To me, the LSU game was THE catalyst for Gus to “put up or shut up” and definitely changed the rest of the season.  Without that loss, I believe Gus would have not been as agressive in the rest of the season and lost to UGA in the regular season.

Gus slipped back into his pre-LSU game style for the SECCG and the (business trip) bowl game and that puts some of the fan base (me) into a wait and see position for next year.  All the hype that will build over the off-season will be very encouraging, but the bottom line is what kind of product will Gus put on the field against Washington. Gus needs to “put up or shut up” during next season starting with Washington.

6 minutes ago, I_M4_AU said:

Gus needs to “put up or shut up” during next season starting with Washington.

Or what?

Gus has been in "put up or shut up" situations for years now.  Message board fans like us can make this statement every season and it makes no difference in the wide scheme of things related to the Auburn football team.  Gus doesn't answer to us, he doesn't have to meet our expectations every year and it's plainly obvious his job is more secure now than at any time in his tenure at AU.

Gus couldn't "put up" when he lost to CU/LSU, but he "shut up" a lot of folks with huge home wins over UGA/UA and those two wins gave him ample leverage to bend Auburn over a barrel and pull a $49mm/7 yr contract out of the Administration.  There's no put up or shut up for Gus because he is safe and secure for a long, long time.

19 minutes ago, keesler said:

I'm making the assumption that going into the SECCG had Auburn only had the one loss to Clemson (a top 4 ranked team) AND still lost to UGA in the SECCG that Auburn would've had a much better shot at a spot in the CFP than a one loss Bama team who didn't play in the SECCG.    We'll never know how the committee would've voted, but I feel like we'd have had a fighters chance if our only losses were to two top 5 ranked teams. 

What's funny is that you were being generous in not pointing out how badly Gus coached the Clemson game, too. We could have and probably should have been undefeated going into November. But I guess that's a different conversation. 

14 minutes ago, keesler said:

Or what?

Gus has been in "put up or shut up" situations for years now.  Message board fans like us can make this statement every season and it makes no difference in the wide scheme of things related to the Auburn football team.  Gus doesn't answer to us, he doesn't have to meet our expectations every year and it's plainly obvious his job is more secure now than at any time in his tenure at AU.

Gus couldn't "put up" when he lost to CU/LSU, but he "shut up" a lot of folks with huge home wins over UGA/UA and those two wins gave him ample leverage to bend Auburn over a barrel and pull a $49mm/7 yr contract out of the Administration.  There's no put up or shut up for Gus because he is safe and secure for a long, long time.

I realize fans do not have any control over what Gus does and, you’re right, we can say and have said that for years.  The or what will not have any affect for at least another two years or so.  The point is that starting with Washington this year, the Gus apologists will have to step up their game if (or when) Gus collapses during the season.

To his contract, it was a “perfect storm” type of scenario. Gus beats our two biggest rivals, Arkansas shows interest, we have a lame duck AD and Auburn bought into a self imposed deadline.  The contract does not change what Gus is, it concerns me that after he received a huge raise, he puts a product on the field like what we saw in the bowl game.  We’ve been waiting for the Gus evolution since the 2015 season.  It hasn’t happened yet.

On 2/1/2018 at 7:53 PM, Grumps said:

Auburn was THE BEST team in the country before we ran out of gas due to an impossible schedule. We will be better next year. Washington has no chance.

Impossible schedule?  We had a favorable schedule this past season. 2018 will be a significantly more diffcult schedule with road trips to UAT and UGA. I realize the Washington game isn't a road trip to Clemson, but overall 2018 will be significantly more difficult overall than 2017 simply because of the road trips to Bama and Georgia.

On 2/2/2018 at 3:53 PM, AUIH1 said:

Did not mean to like your post.  Actually, I dislike your post.  We want to play in MSB stadium at the end of season every year, it give us great exposure as long our coaches have our team prepared to play well (unlike the disaster that was the SECCG and Peach Bowl) which hopefully is the reason behind your post.  We should love to play in Atlanta. The reason our fans didn't show up for the Peach Bowl is because Gustav had us unprepared for the SECCG and we sucked and we have also sucked consistently under Gus in bowl games so most educated fans knew what to expect in the Peach Bowl.  Atlanta is a perfect place for AU to play other than JHS with the right coach.  Gustav has a fat new contract, maybe he can grow into the right coach in the next two years..

wde

You do realize you can go back and hit the like button again and change it to whatever you like. You don't have to leave the like on a post you don't like.

On 2/1/2018 at 7:53 PM, Grumps said:

Auburn was THE BEST team in the country before we ran out of gas due to an impossible schedule. We will be better next year. Washington has no chance.

Also before claiming any team has "no chance" remember how a group of 5 school made us look inept in the Peach Bowl when there were almost 0 question marks for our team. I may also remind you that Gus takes 3-5 games before he figures out what he has. Why it takes him so long, I'll never understand. Most coaches figure these things out prior to the start of the season, not a quarter through the season or more. Washington is a legit team. They will be ready game 1. Will we? Who knows. Gus hasn't shown he can have us ready game 1. So Gus will have to do something he has never done as a head coach to be ready to play at a championship level (like we will need to) game 1 with multiple question marks on offense. Don't underestimate what having a new inexperienced OL and RB will do to our offense. 

18 minutes ago, Auburn2Eugene said:

Impossible schedule?  We had a favorable schedule this past season. 2018 will be a significantly more diffcult schedule with road trips to UAT and UGA. I realize the Washington game isn't a road trip to Clemson, but overall 2018 will be significantly more difficult overall than 2017 simply because of the road trips to Bama and Georgia.

You do realize that, depending on who is doing the ranking, Auburn's schedule ended up being ranked anywhere from #8 to #1 last season.

https://www.teamrankings.com/college-football/ranking/schedule-strength-by-other

Next year could actually be significantly easier because half of the SEC is breaking in new staffs, and a lot of the star offensive players from this year are playing elsewhere. Also, don't forget, we're 7-4 in Tuscaloosa and, while I don't know the numbers for Auburn/Georgia, they've only beaten us 2 more times than we've beaten them, and at least as long as I've been watching, home turf did not mean much. Heck, when I was in school, the home team usually lost.

12 minutes ago, lionheartkc said:

You do realize that, depending on who is doing the ranking, Auburn's schedule ended up being ranked anywhere from #8 to #1 last season.

https://www.teamrankings.com/college-football/ranking/schedule-strength-by-other

Next year could actually be significantly easier because half of the SEC is breaking in new staffs, and a lot of the star offensive players from this year are playing elsewhere. Also, don't forget, we're 7-4 in Tuscaloosa and, while I don't know the numbers for Auburn/Georgia, they've only beaten us 2 more times than we've beaten them, and at least as long as I've been watching, home turf did not mean much. Heck, when I was in school, the home team usually lost.

Are you denying that playing uga and spuat on the road in 2018 makes our schedule harder in 2018?

wde

wde

14 minutes ago, lionheartkc said:

Sure it may have ended that high with playing UGA, UAT, and UGA again. But we played them at home. The only real "big game" we have at home of our big 3 is LSU. And playing Bama and UGA at home this past year DID mean a lot. A WHOLE LOT. I'm sure we could of beat them at their houses this year, but we just as easily could of gotten blown out. Also we won't have Gus coaching for his life either. 

2018 will be a much more path to repeat as SEC West Champions. 

2 minutes ago, AUIH1 said:

Are you denying that playing uga and spuat on the road in 2018 makes our schedule harder in 2018?

wde

wde

Looks that way.... i could be wrong, ive been wrong before, but that's how I took his comment. 

Us playing them at home in 2017 was significant for us winning the West. Playing them on the road in 18 is going to be night and day more difficult. 

1 hour ago, Auburn2Eugene said:

Sure it may have ended that high with playing UGA, UAT, and UGA again. But we played them at home. The only real "big game" we have at home of our big 3 is LSU. And playing Bama and UGA at home this past year DID mean a lot. A WHOLE LOT. I'm sure we could of beat them at their houses this year, but we just as easily could of gotten blown out. Also we won't have Gus coaching for his life either. 

2018 will be a much more path to repeat as SEC West Champions. 

No doubt that the team thrived on the home atmosphere this year, but historically, the location of those two games hasn't really made much difference. Hopefully, next year, we won't require fan energy so much to make a statement in big games.

5 minutes ago, lionheartkc said:

No doubt that the team thrived on the home atmosphere this year, but historically, the location of those two games hasn't really made much difference. Hopefully, next year, we won't require fan energy so much to make a statement in big games.

Competent coaching (especially on the road) is where rubber meets the road.

wde

10 hours ago, caleb1633 said:

Here's an idea: Let's beat UGA, lose to Bama, then sit home during the SECCG and fill in the #4 spot on the playoff bracket. Worked for Bammer.

If only we worked a deal with the Illuminati to be able to do this...

If we beat UDubb week one I will be pleasantly surprised.   I’ve seen this whole “high profile OOC game early in the season” situation play out too many times to be optimistic going into this one. 

Win or lose I hope to see us establish clear roles for our RBs, the OL gel, more volume and diversity in the passing attack, and some new guys stepping up in the secondary.   If we answer those questions Week one, we’ll have a very successful season!!!

3 hours ago, lionheartkc said:

I figure the 2018 will be easier also. LSU & A&M in Jordan Hare. OM is down. UT is down. Auburn can beat Arkansas and State wherever the game is played. Plus Auburn will field a better team than any on the schedule beyond bamr and uga. Auburn should be undefeated going to Athens.

4 hours ago, Auburn2Eugene said:

Also before claiming any team has "no chance" remember how a group of 5 school made us look inept in the Peach Bowl when there were almost 0 question marks for our team. I may also remind you that Gus takes 3-5 games before he figures out what he has. Why it takes him so long, I'll never understand. Most coaches figure these things out prior to the start of the season, not a quarter through the season or more. Washington is a legit team. They will be ready game 1. Will we? Who knows. Gus hasn't shown he can have us ready game 1. So Gus will have to do something he has never done as a head coach to be ready to play at a championship level (like we will need to) game 1 with multiple question marks on offense. Don't underestimate what having a new inexperienced OL and RB will do to our offense. 

OK. Washington has a chance. Is that better? Peach Bowl is irrelevant. Are you not disputing that Auburn was the best team in the country prior to running out of gas?

We were not the best team in the country. We were one of the best teams though . Best team in the country finds ways to win on the road . We struggled quite a bit away from Jordan hare 

37 minutes ago, DAG said:

We were not the best team in the country. We were one of the best teams though . Best team in the country finds ways to win on the road . We struggled quite a bit away from Jordan hare 

Except at Missouri, Arkansas and Texas A&M... yea, none of them were good, but we made them all look worse than they were in their house.

Archived