Looking Ahead: Washington

RunInRed

6 minutes ago, AUsince72 said:

I personally don't think that's wishful thinking at all.

I think aTm basically hired Sumlin 2.0.

I think Fisher is slimier than Sumlin.

• Replies 157
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 minutes ago, Auburn2Eugene said:

Let's hope. But I sure wouldn't put money on that.

I posted in another thread, my rationale.

Nutshell, they both (IMO) lack a certain personal discipline to keep themselves and their charges focused properly, on & off the field.

Not saying they're bad people or bad coaches even... Just lacking something very important to maintain success.

1 minute ago, lionheartkc said:

And what part of our QB and O-Line not being ready, overconfidence, and lack of adjustment excludes coaching? It's our coaches job to get the QB and O-Line ready, and the coaches are the ones who initiate the adjustments. As for overconfidence vs taking the foot off of the gas, taking the foot off of the gas was BECAUSE we, that we includes the staff, were overconfident. 

You're arguing just to argue in this case, because we're saying the same thing... I'm just going into detail beyond "coaches".

I'm not arguing at all my friend. Just stating my POV. 

11 minutes ago, DAG said:

Is he finally putting the blame on Gus?! 

Yea... finally... for about the 20th time when it comes to the LSU game, but you can keep propping up your stereotype about me.

1 minute ago, lionheartkc said:

I think Fisher is slimier than Sumlin.

I'm not going as far as judging them as people, although I don't necessarily disagree with you on Fisher (simply based on the JW crap).  Just strictly on a football nature...

6 minutes ago, AUsince72 said:

I posted in another thread, my rationale.

Nutshell, they both (IMO) lack a certain personal discipline to keep themselves and their charges focused properly, on & off the field.

Not saying they're bad people or bad coaches even... Just lacking something very important to maintain success.

FSUs record under Fisher 

2010 10-4

2011 9-4

2012 12-2

2013 14-0

2014 13-1 

2015 10-3

2016 10-3

2017 5-6

If 6 out of 8 seasons with at least 10 wins isn't maintaining success, I'm not sure what is... Especially when you consider he had 5 straight seasons with at least 10 wins, and we have had 10 wins in back to back seasons once in our history...

5 minutes ago, AUsince72 said:

I'm not going as far as judging them as people, although I don't necessarily disagree with you on Fisher (simply based on the JW crap).  Just strictly on a football nature...

Good man, Good man. 

Shouldn't judge people we don't know personally.

giphy.gif

24 minutes ago, AUsince72 said:

Oh, I was speaking on a football nature. I think Fisher is more likely to bend the rules to win that Sumlin was. I don't like how Sumlin encouraged less than clean play on the field, or how he handled player discipline, but I never tagged him as someone who would play dirty. From everything I've heard about Fisher, he will do whatever he can get away with. I hope that's not true.

10 minutes ago, Auburn2Eugene said:

FSUs record under Fisher 

2010 10-4

2011 9-4

2012 12-2

2013 14-0

2014 13-1 

2015 10-3

2016 10-3

2017 5-6

If 6 out of 8 seasons with at least 10 wins isn't maintaining success, I'm not sure what is... Especially when you consider he had 5 straight seasons with at least 10 wins, and we have had 10 wins in back to back seasons once in our history...

I'm gonna play a handful of cards...

First, I'm not hung up on this "10 wins" thing.  They play 13-15 games per year, depending.  Gus had 10 wins this year.  Was the season a raging success?  Most (of us anyway) would say it was good but not great.  In 5 seasons Gus has had 12, 8, 8 & 10 wins himself....

FSU is in the ACC and until Clemson's stepping up the last 3 years (which, incidentally FSU can't compete with them now) almost everybody here and elsewhere said "yeah, but they're only in the ACC".

So, I guess I'm now playing the he's now in the SEC card... ASSUMING Saban stays 2-3 more years, Smart improves thUga, Gus learns some new tricks, UF, UT regain steam, Boom improves USCe it won't be the cakewalk he enjoyed in the basketball conference.

Hey, I could be wrong *GASP* but I just don't have that much faith in him.

24 minutes ago, Auburn2Eugene said:

FSUs record under Fisher 

2010 10-4

2011 9-4

2012 12-2

2013 14-0

2014 13-1 

2015 10-3

2016 10-3

2017 5-6

The key is, can he do that in the SEC West? I'm with you on being wary.

7 minutes ago, lionheartkc said:

Oh, I was speaking on a football nature. I think Fisher is more likely to bend the rules to win that Sumlin was. I don't like how Sumlin encouraged less than clean play on the field, or how he handled player discipline, but I never tagged him as someone who would play dirty. From everything I've heard about Fisher, he will do whatever he can get away with. I hope that's not true.

10-4

Yes, I agree with you that if Jimbo had a friend running the NCAA, we could cut him off at the knees and call him Nick.

58 minutes ago, AUsince72 said:

10-4

Yes, I agree with you that if Jimbo had a friend running the NCAA, we could cut him off at the knees and call him Nick.

Omg, we should totally do that anyway. Then you'd have this wide-eyed little fella hobbling around yelling, "My name is not Nick! Stop it!" And then we'd hold a football over his head, just out of his reach, and he'd keep trying and failing to jump up and get it...

On 2/7/2018 at 9:44 AM, AUsince72 said:

I personally don't think that's wishful thinking at all.

I think aTm basically hired Sumlin 2.0.

Will be interesting given things that happened at FSU. aTm alumni have been pretty clear that one thing they do not want to see any more of in their program is Drama.

Another thing that Fisher is going to run into is that for the moment Texas looks to be starting to put state recruits back on lock down. That program is in better shape than it has been for about 4-5 years atm despite what the record was this year.

47 minutes ago, Texan4Auburn said:

Will be interesting given things that happened at FSU. aTm alumni have been pretty clear that one thing they do not want to see any more of in their program is Drama.

Another thing that Fisher is going to run into is that for the moment Texas looks to be starting to put state recruits back on lock down. That program is in better shape than it has been for about 4-5 years atm despite what the record was this year.

Yeah, I admittedly don't know much about aTm people/fans/administration but my impression of them is that they're basically classy and expect a relatively high standard of decorum and decency.... I think.

FSU, I have a little more experience with living in Florida and dealing with them in the past (AU had a budding rivalry with them years ago).  They're pretty bammerish TBH.

Very interesting indeed, both to see how FSU does moving forward and to see how CJF handles things now.

2 hours ago, Texan4Auburn said:

Will be interesting given things that happened at FSU. aTm alumni have been pretty clear that one thing they do not want to see any more of in their program is Drama

Considering Fisher just took a shot across Saban's bow by stealing two of his commits within 24 hours of signing day, I think they are in for a lot more drama.

On 2/1/2018 at 7:41 PM, WFE12 said:

We are 1-6 against ranked opponents in season openers.

Time to go 2-6 my friend!

I see FSU falling off the mark to being an 8-4 type of team on a regular basis. Taggart is one of the most overrated coaches IMHO. I could be wrong and if I am, I have no problems making amends!  As for Jimbo, this is one that is going to be very interesting. Big time coaches (Sherril, & Franchioni ) were underwhelming in a big way there. I see Jimbo as a 9-4 & 8-4 coach for at least the first 3 seasons there. After that, we will see.  I think they would have done better with Norvell from Memphis.  I still cannot believe he did not get hired by a bigger program. If Gus had left for Ark. I would have jumped at Norvell for our HC.  Do not get me wrong, I have faith that Gus is going to deliver better than he has already in a bigger way.  If he can let CCL take more control on the play calling, our offense will be consistently in the top 15 in the country and top 3 in the SEC.  

Our defense will win us more games in the future in that I think CKS has established himself as a solid DC and one who can direct a game in the winning mode by shutting down teams more consistently in the red zone. If he can improve on this stat, our defense will be a top 5 each year in our conference, and one breathing down the neck of UGA & bammer.

On 2/2/2018 at 2:24 PM, lionheartkc said:

It should actually be an advantage for us this time. There's no way a PAC team travelling from about as far away as you can does a better job of filling seats than us for the first game of the season. It should be the equivalent of a home game for us.

If we lose, it won't be because of the crowd. I stand by my belief that this game lies firmly in the hands of Brown and Woodson.

They showed up for their playoff game against Bama.

14 hours ago, ToomersStreet said:

They showed up for their playoff game against Bama.

Playoff game...not first game of the season that is also non-conference, so not overly relevant to the season as a whole. Huge difference.

Washington will absolutely be hyped . They understand that they will come in as preseason favorites in the PAC. They also understand that perception means everything . The PAC was seen as very weak last year . An OOC win against AU in essentially our own backyard would pay dividends in the future due to subjectivity of the committee. This game is very important for both teams and should be treated as such . We aren’t playing Louisville here. The same intensity displayed by UCF will be shown by UW.

8 hours ago, lionheartkc said:

Playoff game...not first game of the season that is also non-conference, so not overly relevant to the season as a whole. Huge difference.

Huh?

I suspect this will be a Summer Vacation for a lot of their fans.  A trip to the SE for Labor Day Weekend w/ football in Atl, then maybe head to the Gulf Coast, etc.  I believe the UW fans make themselves heard.  They have all off season to save for this...

Archived