Looking Ahead: Washington

RunInRed

13 minutes ago, AUsince72 said:

I suspect this will be a Summer Vacation for a lot of their fans.  A trip to the SE for Labor Day Weekend w/ football in Atl, then maybe head to the Gulf Coast, etc.  I believe the UW fans make themselves heard.  They have all off season to save for this...

I am thinking this is going to be a playoff game atmosphere . I have some frat brothers who live in Seattle and they are ecstatic about attending the game in Atlanta . This is a put up or shut up game for them.

• Replies 157
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 minutes ago, DAG said:

I am thinking this is going to be a playoff game atmosphere . I have some frat brothers who live in Seattle and they are ecstatic about attending the game in Atlanta . This is a put up or shut up game for them.

I concur.  Honestly, I'm more concerned with how our fellow AU brethren will show out.

If Gus gets act together this off season (being positive... being positive...) it's gonna be one heckuva game.

2 minutes ago, AUsince72 said:

I concur.  Honestly, I'm more concerned with how our fellow AU brethren will show out.

If Gus gets act together this off season (being positive... being positive...) it's gonna be one heckuva game.

Yep..this game is very important for the momentum this season. Like you said, we’ve been to Atlanta how many times now? I hope the fan base is taking this serious. Wish the Las Vegas Stadium was done haha I would love for them to host this game.

5 minutes ago, AUsince72 said:

I suspect this will be a Summer Vacation for a lot of their fans.  A trip to the SE for Labor Day Weekend w/ football in Atl, then maybe head to the Gulf Coast, etc.  I believe the UW fans make themselves heard.  They have all off season to save for this...

Yup. They'll be in Mardi Gras mode. We'll be in "Atlanta again?" mode. 

Atlanta's no Chicago or New York or Miami, but it's a party city and, as you said, is a reasonable drive to beaches and other stuff they never get to. Plenty of flight options from Seattle. And with it being Labor Day weekend, they've got a 4-days-to-get-9 scenario with vacation time. 

People forget that Washington has won a national championship more recently than uga has. They're a proud program. They've got their own navy up there on game day. A top 10 preseason ranking and they're headed to ATL to play the SECW champs. They can lock in a signature win in week 1 that will stay with them throughout the season and could even be a get-out-of-jail-free card in the eyes of the committee if they drop one later in the season. They're not going to travel for that?? 

3 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

Yup. They'll be in Mardi Gras mode. We'll be in "Atlanta again?" mode. 

Atlanta's no Chicago or New York or Miami, but it's a party city and, as you said, is a reasonable drive to beaches and other stuff they never get to. Plenty of flight options from Seattle. And with it being Labor Day weekend, they've got a 4-days-to-get-9 scenario with vacation time. 

People forget that Washington has won a national championship more recently than uga has. They're a proud program. They've got their own navy up there on game day. A top 10 preseason ranking and they're headed to ATL to play the SECW champs. They can lock in a signature win in week 1 that will stay with them throughout the season and could even be a get-out-of-jail-free card in the eyes of the committee if they drop one later in the season. They're not going to travel for that?? 

And if you talk to their fans, the expectations is as such now after Peterson got them to the playoffs last year. This is why I am very uneasy about this game.

1 hour ago, McLoofus said:

Huh?

You can lose your first non-conference game of the season and still go to the playoffs.  It's not a make or break game, thus one that people are less likely to spend what it would cost to travel most of the way across the country to see it in person.

1 minute ago, lionheartkc said:

You can lose your first non-conference game of the season and still go to the playoffs.  It's not a make or break game, thus one that people are less likely to spend what it would cost to travel most of the way across the country to see it in person.

You can also lose your last conference game of the season and go to the playoffs.

Every game matters. Prime time games against ranked opponents in any conference matter a LOT. It mattered when we lost to Clemson and it will matter who wins and who loses this game. 

Just now, McLoofus said:

You can also lose your last conference game of the season and go to the playoffs.

Every game matters. Prime time games against ranked opponents in any conference matter a LOT. It mattered when we lost to Clemson and it will matter who wins and who loses this game. 

You're missing the entire point of the conversation. I'm not saying that a team should blow off a game, I'm saying that this game doesn't carry the weight of a playoff game when it comes to people shelling out hard earned cash to travel across the country to see it in person.

3 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

Heck you don’t even have to win your conference and make the playoffs, but would any sane fan rely on that? OOC games though are very important. The committee has already shown they weigh heavily in the playoff discussion .

3 minutes ago, lionheartkc said:

You're missing the entire point of the conversation. I'm not saying that a team should blow off a game, I'm saying that this game doesn't carry the weight of a playoff game when it comes to people shelling out hard earned cash to travel across the country to see it in person.

No, I'm not missing the point. You are underestimating the significance of the game. 

And, as several people have pointed out, there are numerous other reasons for people from Seattle to travel to Atlanta. 

5 minutes ago, DAG said:

Heck you don’t even have to win your conference and make the playoffs, but would any sane fan rely on that? OOC games though are very important. The committee has already shown they weigh heavily in the playoff discussion .

Yup.

Another hypothetical that just occurred to me: if given the choice, would you travel to this game or the first playoff game? I mean, with the first playoff game, you know for a fact that you're either going to lose or there's going to be a bigger, more important game next week. If a school travels for that, they'll travel for this. 

And I don’t really want to get into all the semantics but losing this first game can make or break your season for a plethora of reasons, for both teams.

Just now, DAG said:

And I don’t really want to get into all the semantics but losing this first game can make or break your season for a plethora of reasons, for both teams.

Absolutely massive stakes for both. No question. 

1 minute ago, McLoofus said:

Yup.

Another hypothetical that just occurred to me: if given the choice, would you travel to this game or the first playoff game? I mean, with the first playoff game, you know for a fact that you're either going to lose or there's going to be a bigger, more important game next week. If a school travels for that, they'll travel for this. 

This is just my opinion. OOC games between quality opponents in “neutral fields” should always have a good traveling pack and I think for the most part they do. Obviously, we are closer to proximity so we probably will have more fans but that doesn’t make the game or atmosphere any less electrifying . Games like this should always feel like a playoff scenario. FSU had a bad season last year , but let me tell you , that first Bama-FSU  game felt like a playoff game. OU and tOSU also had that same effect even though tOSU was hosting it. 

5 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

No, I'm not missing the point. You are underestimating the significance of the game. 

And, as several people have pointed out, there are numerous other reasons for people from Seattle to travel to Atlanta. 

Ok, whatever. When people on here are constantly bitching about how much it costs to go to a regular season game that they can drive to and talking about how they would rather just watch on TV, I'm just not buying a bunch of west coasters paying for plane tickets and hotels, on top of the cost of tickets for this game. You can believe whatever you want.

2 minutes ago, lionheartkc said:

Ok, whatever. When people on here are constantly bitching about how much it costs to go to a regular season game that they can drive to and talking about how they would rather just watch on TV, I'm just not buying a bunch of west coasters paying for plane tickets and hotels, on top of the cost of tickets for this game. You can believe whatever you want.

OH!  Well, when you put it THAT way....

;)

3 minutes ago, DAG said:

This is just my opinion. OOC games between quality opponents in “neutral fields” should always have a good traveling pack and I think for the most part they do. Obviously, we are closer to proximity so we probably will have more fans but that doesn’t make the game or atmosphere any less electrifying . Games like this should always feel like a playoff scenario. FSU had a bad season last year , but let me tell you , that first Bama-FSU  game felt like a playoff game. OU and tOSU also had that same effect even though tOSU was hosting it. 

Exactly. 

3 minutes ago, lionheartkc said:

Yes, I can. As can you. I just don't think you're considering all the variables. 

On 2/7/2018 at 9:50 AM, Auburn2Eugene said:

I think some of you are downplaying UW, A&M, and Tenn way too much. UW will be ready to play game 1. They will be ready for an SEC game. They got embarrassed the last time they played a SEC team which also happened to be in Atlanta. A&M has always had the talent. That was never an issue for Sumlin. Now they have a real coach. Thinking it will take that talent a few years to gel is naive. The talent was already there. Now they have the coaching. As far as Tennessee goes... Jones also never had an issue getting talent to Rocky Top. Who knows if Pruitt will be a good head coach? He could be a Smart or he could be a McElwain. He could have them rolling year 1 or he could never get it going. He is a question mark, but an automatic win, Tennessee is not. They have too much talent to just ignore. This isn't even considering LSU. Who has talent for days, and normally even the times we do beat them, it isn't by much. The Mississippi schools and Arkansas don't pose much of a threat to us in 18, but to assume we will be undefeated going in to amen corner isn't reasonable. Sure we may be undefeated come UGA, but to assume we will be is setting yourselves up for a big disappointment. Especially considering we will be breaking in a new OL and RB

Minus Tenn, i agree 100% about UM & A&M. Thinking we're going to blow out UW is crazy. Esp. how some thought we were going to blow out UCF. See how that turned out. UW returns their starting QB and RB. Sure we have more talent on paper but games are not played on paper. We found that out against UCF. I consider it to be a close game much like the Clemson games but not too confident we get the win at this point. We shall see but considering our HC history of not being ready game 1 against good teams...i'll have to see it to believe it. 

56 minutes ago, DAG said:

One thing about Gus Malzahn, he doesn't let one game affect the season. 

The problem is he is not very good in first games, when it is a quality opponent. He's also shown he is not very good in post season games either.

He seems to test out positions in early games, like the skill positions. Washington has a core of starters who did very well last year. If we do not have a good game plan..we will lose our first quality game again. Having a brand new OL is not what you want in your first game against a ranked team...

On 2/1/2018 at 8:53 PM, Grumps said:

Auburn was THE BEST team in the country before we ran out of gas due to an impossible schedule. We will be better next year. Washington has no chance.

I agree. I just hate that it always seems to take Gus and the team about 4 or 5 games to wake up and start playing to potential. All teams get better (as long as they are winning) as the season goes on but I always feel that we have a more drastic change from beginning to end.

58 minutes ago, steeleagle said:

One thing about Gus Malzahn, he doesn't let one game affect the season. 

The problem is he is not very good in first games, when it is a quality opponent. He's also shown he is not very good in post season games either.

He seems to test out positions in early games, like the skill positions. Washington has a core of starters who did very well last year. If we do not have a good game plan..we will lose our first quality game again. Having a brand new OL is not what you want in your first game against a ranked team...

Offensive line scares me to death and this is where I am going to see if Gus has earned this new contract. I really think, at the very least, in the beginning, we will have to open up the run with the pass. We have so much talent out there and a good bit of speed sweep guys. I am not expecting a whole lot of success of running in between the tackle early on. One because of the o-line and two because we don't have a whole lot of experience in the backfield. Nevertheless, we still have some incredible athletes and talent on this team, where one deficit shouldn't define our play.

Not a fan of tough openers. That being said, Washington's front 7 was decimated by graduating seniors and players leaving for the draft. I'd be surprised if our OL looks like it did against Clemson; there is a lot of time between now and then to prepare.

I'm not overly confident going into this game but it will be a good early test for a lot of questions that we have. Who will our starting RB's be? Will we run a route tree with our stellar group of WR's? Will the defense take yet another step forward? How will Stidham progress? What will our OL look like? Who will create the chaos that Jeff Holland used to? Who will step up and lead our LB group?

1 minute ago, Zeek said:

Not a fan of tough openers. That being said, Washington's front 7 was decimated by graduating seniors and players leaving for the draft. I'd be surprised if our OL looks like it did against Clemson; there is a lot of time between now and then to prepare.

I'm not overly confident going into this game but it will be a good early test for a lot of questions that we have. Who will our starting RB's be? Will we run a route tree with our stellar group of WR's? Will the defense take yet another step forward? How will Stidham progress? What will our OL look like? Who will create the chaos that Jeff Holland used to? Who will step up and lead our LB group?

Find out next time on dragon ball z!

giphy.gif

Just now, DAG said:

Find out next time on dragon ball z!

giphy.gif

Now the theme song is in my head!

Dragon! DRAGON! 

8 minutes ago, Zeek said:

Washington's front 7 was decimated by graduating seniors and players leaving for the draft. 

With nine returning starters on defense, how was the front 7 decimated?

https://www.seattletimes.com/sports/uw-husky-football/uw-huskies-2018-outlook-nine-starters-set-to-return-for-pac-12s-top-ranked-defense/

Archived