Looking Ahead: Washington

RunInRed

3 minutes ago, aufan57 said:

They lost their two biggest studs on the defensive line and two of their starting linebacker from what I understand. Not sure why that article counts 9 but it'll be interesting to see how they look. 

• Replies 157
  • Created
  • Last Reply
25 minutes ago, Zeek said:

They lost their two biggest studs on the defensive line and two of their starting linebacker from what I understand. Not sure why that article counts 9 but it'll be interesting to see how they look. 

You're usually going to have more than 11 guys start a game at one point or another throughout the season, so it's possible to lose 4 and return 9. 

2 hours ago, Zeek said:

Vea is the only d-lineman they lose off their two deep, from the information I've read. If I'm wrong correct me.

I'm worried about our OL and how Chris Peterson has a full 9 months to prep for this game.

Our game plan will be exactly the same as it is in every other game so we will have to see if our green OL can manhandle the defensive front. If we can't, well....it's most likely going to look like a few Clemson games, some LSU 2nd half, and some of the past UGA games.

I hope after taking a look at our roster our staff realizes that our best bet is to air it out this year -- and I don't mean relying on 50% of the passes to be screens. Unfortunately for us, if we do see a big shift in offensive focus towards beating teams with the pass as our main punch, it won't be until ~4 games in.

Here's to hoping our team speed overwhelms them and our front 4 is as nasty as know it can be.

16 minutes ago, Tiger said:

I'm worried about our OL and how Chris Peterson has a full 9 months to prep for this game.

Our game plan will be exactly the same as it is in every other game so we will have to see if our green OL can manhandle the defensive front. If we can't, well....it's most likely going to look like a few Clemson games, some LSU 2nd half, and some of the past UGA games.

I hope after taking a look at our roster our staff realizes that our best bet is to air it out this year -- and I don't mean relying on 50% of the passes to be screens. Unfortunately for us, if we do see a big shift in offensive focus towards beating teams with the pass as our main punch, it won't be until ~4 games in.

Here's to hoping our team speed overwhelms them and our front 4 is as nasty as know it can be.

So, you don't think You-Dub has to worry about Gus having 9 months to prepare?

13 hours ago, WarEagle1983 said:

Minus Tenn, i agree 100% about UM & A&M. Thinking we're going to blow out UW is crazy. Esp. how some thought we were going to blow out UCF. See how that turned out. UW returns their starting QB and RB. Sure we have more talent on paper but games are not played on paper. We found that out against UCF. I consider it to be a close game much like the Clemson games but not too confident we get the win at this point. We shall see but considering our HC history of not being ready game 1 against good teams...i'll have to see it to believe it. 

I wasn't at all saying I thought we will lose to Tennessee. I said it's not an automatic win. Same concept as what happened vs UCF,  because they have superior roster talent to UCF. I think we will beat Tennessee... let me be clear about that issue. Just after UCF, I'm going to have to see us lighting it up before I consider a game vs the talent they have on their roster an automatic win.

6. Washington

264.png?w=110&h=110&transparent=true

Previous Way-Too-Early rank: 7
2017 record: 10-3, 7-2 Pac-12
Returning starters: Eight offense, nine defense, one special teams

Key losses: DT Vita Vea, WR Dante Pettis, G Andrew Kirkland, C Coleman Shelton, TE Will Dissly, LB Keishawn Bierria

Outlook: The Huskies have the best combination of quarterback (Jake Browning), offensive line and tailback (Myles Gaskin) in the Pac-12 coming back this season, and they'll have nine starters back from what was a young defense in 2017. And now they'll also have improved depth from what is undoubtedly Chris Petersen's best recruiting class.

The offense also returns some key contributors who were lost to season-ending injuries, including left tackle Trey Adams, tight end Hunter Bryant and receiver Chico McClatcher.

Petersen has created a potential logjam at quarterback once Browning leaves. Along with Georgia transfer Jacob Eason, who must sit out the 2018 season under NCAA transfer rules, the Huskies are bringing in No. 2 pocket passer Jacob Sirmon of Bothell, Washington, and No. 4 pocket passer Colson Yankoff of Coeur D'Alene, Idaho.

So they had two big time playmakers on the defensive and offensive side leave, but other than that they have a lot of depth . This will be a true test...

Archived