February 2-4 Visitors Thread

ellitor

6 hours ago, ellitor said:

We're cutting something alright. Not sure it's edges though.

Ellitor....what is your feeling after this weekend visits? My guess is that of all of the recruits we are dealing with, Tannor has the best chance of signing with us. Any surprises in the wind?  I will be glad to get through NSD with all recruits staying the course with the best school in the country! 

Edited by doc4aday

1 hour ago, milehighfan said:

No, I'm not. Damn, I was hoping we would get him. I guess this means our OL this cycle will suck.

Momma thinks Auburn is too far

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, ClaytonAU said:

Momma thinks Auburn is too far

I got to give it to you. momma did not think that when your guy herb hand was here. Congrats! You were right I was wrong. I am taking a bad L on this. BUT for the record. I think grimes is a amazing coach but crutin on the OL dang sure is not going to get any better. Looks like we should of kept your guy for one more cycle! lol this class is going to have big negative effects down the road with how bad we whiffed on OT crutin. I am just not impressed with our OL class. You can have all the talent in the world but if the OL goes downhill you get jimbo's last 2 years at fsu when he let his foot off the gas in OL crutin.

Edited by GwillMac6
  • Like 1

9 minutes ago, GwillMac6 said:

I got to give it to you. momma did not think that when your guy herb hand was here. Congrats! looks like we should of kept your guy for one more cycle! lol this class is going to have big negative effects down the road with how bad we whiffed on OT crutin. I am just not impressed with our OL class. You can have all the talent in the world but in the OL goes downhill you get jimbo's last 2 years at fsu when he let his foot off the gas in OL crutin.

Stutts may turn out to be great but nothing I’ve seen makes me think so.  Career backup unless he really gets better under good coaching and strength program.

Irving is vital in my opinion and I’m high on his skill set for center.  

Coach Grimes and whoever the area recruiter for the Oxford Area should be in contact with Clay Webb every day in some way.  Plus in ‘19 we are going to need 2 OTs ready to fill in to provide depth in 2020 and probably 2 that can have a year or so to develop.  If we are on the bubble for an elite guard then you have to look but need OTs and an elite center

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, corchjay said:

Stutts may turn out to be great but nothing I’ve seen makes me think so.  Career backup unless he really gets better under good coaching and strength program.

Irving is vital in my opinion and I’m high on his skill set for center.  

Coach Grimes and whoever the area recruiter for the Oxford Area should be in contact with Clay Webb every day in some way.  Plus in ‘19 we are going to need 2 OTs ready to fill in to provide depth in 2020 and probably 2 that can have a year or so to develop.  If we are on the bubble for an elite guard then you have to look but need OTs and an elite center

I trust you and @bigbird on anything to do with film and talent eval. SO educate me sir if you may. Will us not taking Tank Jenkins come back and bite us? All I know is he is a 4 star and had some motor and effort issues and also apparently some personality conflicts our staff did not like.

18 minutes ago, GwillMac6 said:

I trust you and @bigbird on anything to do with film and talent eval. SO educate me sir if you may. Will us not taking Tank Jenkins come back and bite us? All I know is he is a 4 star and had some motor and effort issues and also apparently some personality conflicts our staff did not like.

Tank will be a solid guard if he wants it.  Gotta fix his diet but people who can’t control their diet have trouble focusing on other tasks.  Especially elite althletes.  We have plenty of guards.  We need OTs.  He’s not one.  I actually think Stutts has a higher upside then Tank and neither are very high.  My rating for both would be about and 85-86

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, corchjay said:

Tank will be a solid guard if he wants it.  Gotta fix his diet but people who can’t control their diet have trouble focusing on other tasks.  Especially elite althletes.  We have plenty of guards.  We need OTs.  He’s not one.  I actually think Stutts has a higher upside then Tank and neither are very high.  My rating for both would be about and 85-86

Thanks for the quick reply sir! Much appreciated. and YES! we really need to hit some home runs or shoot at this point even some doubles at OT in recruiting next cycle. 

33 minutes ago, ClaytonAU said:

Should’ve taken Goss when we had the chance. It’s a shame. 

Yup. I am a star gazer and Even I can admit that now that we should of taken him. I thought we were going to get 1 of Richard G or Barnes at the time so I thought passing on him was a good idea. Boy was I wrong. sheeeesh. Bird in hand and what not....... 

Edited by GwillMac6

3 hours ago, doc4aday said:

Ellitor....what is your feeling after this weekend visits?

Not good.

My guess is that of all of the recruits we are dealing with, Tannor has the best chance of signing with us.

Best chance is JaMarr Chas IMO.

Any surprises in the wind? 

Chase would qualify as a surprise.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, ellitor said:

Not good.

Best chance is JaMarr Chas IMO.

Chase would qualify as a surprise.

I cannot wait to here the story behind the tannor one. That changed on a dime. At first I thought it changed because we felt good on langham. But that was just wishful thinking. SMH.

1 hour ago, GwillMac6 said:

I got to give it to you. momma did not think that when your guy herb hand was here. Congrats! You were right I was wrong. I am taking a bad L on this. BUT for the record. I think grimes is a amazing coach but crutin on the OL dang sure is not going to get any better. Looks like we should of kept your guy for one more cycle! lol this class is going to have big negative effects down the road with how bad we whiffed on OT crutin. I am just not impressed with our OL class. You can have all the talent in the world but if the OL goes downhill you get jimbo's last 2 years at fsu when he let his foot off the gas in OL crutin.

FWIW the AU staff now feels momma deemed AU to far even if we kept Hand & would have still gotten her son to pick UF.

• Sad 1

Just now, GwillMac6 said:

I cannot wait to here the story behind the tannor one. That changed on a dime. At first I thought it changed because we felt good on langham. But that was just wishful thinking. SMH.

Posted earlier today. Path to early PT.

• Like 1

Just now, ellitor said:

FWIW the AU staff now feels momma deemed AU to far even if we kept Hand & would have still gotten her son to pick UF.

lol guess the OV was not all sunshine and rainbows then! Man tough 2 weeks coming out of OV's. 

Just now, ellitor said:

Posted earlier today. Path to early PT.

Wonder what in home convinced him of that then. Scott Frost or the hunchback dan mullen. I have a feeling it was scott frost. He seems like a much better recruiter. Man wish gustav would of not used the in home so soon in the week then. But I cannot blame him to much. He obviously felt they had locked him up last weekend.

2 minutes ago, GwillMac6 said:

Wonder what in home convinced him of that then. Scott Frost or the hunchback dan mullen. I have a feeling it was scott frost. He seems like a much better recruiter. Man wish gustav would of not used the in home so soon in the week then. But I cannot blame him to much. He obviously felt they had locked him up last weekend.

Who knows? Maybe family had a factor. I've seen families push kids to schools w/ more favorable depth charts before.

Just now, ellitor said:

Who knows? Maybe family had a factor. I've seen families push kids to schools w/ more favorable depth charts before.

O OF COURSE. We went through it with matthew hill.... TWICE! First someone pushing him to south carolina before he committed then to clemson recently.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, GwillMac6 said:

lol guess the OV was not all sunshine and rainbows then! Man tough 2 weeks coming out of OV's. 

It's because I was not there this past weekend.  Will be in Athens for the basketball game though!

200-351.gif

On a more serious note to the thread, I think we need to give Grimes some slack here with the limited time has has gotten to try and build relationships with these kids.  I know he is not an elite recruiter, but he is a phenomenal coach.  I would rather have a guy that knows how to develop players than a guy that only knows how to recruit.  A good example of that unfortunately is Dameyune Craig.  He knows how to recruit, but can't develop players, which is why he hasn't done more than be a wide receivers coach.  If you know how to coach, recruits will follow because they know they won't be a wasted talent.

Edited by abw0004
  • Like 2