Here is hoping we don't crash & burn since ENSD

AUIH1

We need some serious help on the OL (which I don't think is happening) and some extremely hopeful DL signings and one extremely hopeful LB signing.  Always hopeful for a signing day surprise.

wde

• Replies 129
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 minutes ago, bigbird said:

tumblr_njztrxoBAM1u606g5o1_500.gif

I am a simple man. I see a Babs gif and I upvote! lol WOOOOOO!!!

2020 and 2021 will be where we see failures of this recruiting class show up.  Just like next year at safety is where we will see issues come up from last years recruiting class failures show.  What's good about it is we can identify GT/JC players over the next year to be able to really fill those holes plus put a huge priority in on the high schoolers.

I love the players in this '18 recruiting class but it doesn't fill our needs very well.  We are getting out of balance after Coach G spent the first 5 years of recruiting getting the defense and offense and position groups balanced with players and talent.  Now this year with the misses on the OL creates gaps in year after year filling in, same can be said for safety but some of that is player transfers, Not finding another QB this cycle and seems like we are only going after Nix next cycle.  That's 3 QBs after next year and one may get their feelings hurt and decide to go somewhere else.  Still no TE except the kid from last year that was a take for an old coaches friend. He may be a stud but I have my doubts.  DL is really the only balanced recruiting we have right now.  

22 minutes ago, corchjay said:

2020 and 2021 will be where we see failures of this recruiting class show up.  Just like next year at safety is where we will see issues come up from last years recruiting class failures show.  What's good about it is we can identify GT/JC players over the next year to be able to really fill those holes plus put a huge priority in on the high schoolers.

I love the players in this '18 recruiting class but it doesn't fill our needs very well.  We are getting out of balance after Coach G spent the first 5 years of recruiting getting the defense and offense and position groups balanced with players and talent.  Now this year with the misses on the OL creates gaps in year after year filling in, same can be said for safety but some of that is player transfers, Not finding another QB this cycle and seems like we are only going after Nix next cycle.  That's 3 QBs after next year and one may get their feelings hurt and decide to go somewhere else.  Still no TE except the kid from last year that was a take for an old coaches friend. He may be a stud but I have my doubts.  DL is really the only balanced recruiting we have right now.  

FWIW, I like the players we will sign just like I have liked every player who has initially signed to play football at AU.  I don't "love" any 18 year old male football player no matter where he signs unless he happens to be my son or someone really close to me personally.  We always need to sign multiple good to very good/great prospects to that play either OL or DL EVERY recruiting class. Winning consistently begins and ends in the trenches.   This is what spuat has done and what UGA is starting to do. 

wde 

I think we will go after players on the OL & DL for 2019. We really do not have the luxury of signing a lineman here and there for 2019, and must shake the bushes and load up on quality linemen. I believe that we have a strong top 10 class for 2018 without a doubt and is something we need to remember. Most schools would die to have the class we have. Sometimes I think we get spoiled and lose focus on what we have in front of us including the old Doc!

27 minutes ago, corchjay said:

I love the players in this '18 recruiting class but it doesn't fill our needs very well.  

The balance between positions was a bit strange to me.  I don't understand the focus on WR.

10 minutes ago, bigbird said:

The balance between positions was a bit strange to me.  I don't understand the focus on WR.

Just getting Bo Nix ready for four straight National Championship runs :cool:

8 minutes ago, ClaytonAU said:

Just getting Bo Nix ready for four straight National Championship runs :cool:

I'd love for Gus to open things up like he used to be known for, but I'm not holding my breath

18 minutes ago, bigbird said:

That was the point I was making and how it in itself is like missing a particular player like one of the OTs in this cycle.  

27 minutes ago, AUIH1 said:

FWIW, I like the players we will sign just like I have liked every player who has initially signed to play football at AU.  I don't "love" any 18 year old male football player no matter where he signs unless he happens to be my son or someone really close to me personally. 

Doesn't compute.  Figure of speech.  

So back on topic, In the 2019 cycle we will have to load up on OTs.  Probably 4, 3 at a minimum.  I would expect at least one GT/JC and 3 high school.  It'll probably be 1 GT, 1 JC, and 2 HS.  

How can we crash and burn with a likely top 10 class? I get the need for ol, but to say we’ll crash and burn this year on recruiting is a bit much, unless it’s just hyperbole !

The problem , as jay explained above, is that we find ourselves signing large groups of a position every few years instead of getting 1 or 2 quality players a year at a position.  One year it's stockpiling WR's.  The next it is signing a bunch of OL.  The next is a great DL class.  The next is a great secondary class.  We have to stop trying to hit a homerun every 4 years at one position and get a few good ones every year.  I don't understand why we do this.  This process creates problems when you miss out on a year when you need it.  Our past recruiting makes us have years where we must sign a bunch at one position because 4 years ago was the last strong class at that position and they are all graduating.

Just now, toddc said:

How can we crash and burn with a likely top 10 class? I get the need for ol, but to say we’ll crash and burn this year on recruiting is a bit much, unless it’s just hyperbole !

Because we are thin at Safety one or two injuries there and we are in a world of hurt. The miss on the O-line won't hurt us next year as very few freshman no matter how high they are rated will start their first year.  That is why Grimes is a great hire he has to make a solid O-Line from existing players even if we had pulled some OT's this year.. Miss on O-line hurts in the future as this years freshman could be starters in 2 years. Same with LB's hurts in the future also LB's hurt next year as freshman LB's are usually great on special teams where we definitely need to improve. A great class isn't just about how talented the players are but how many needs you fill.

4 minutes ago, NorthGATiger said:

The problem , as jay explained above, is that we find ourselves signing large groups of a position every few years instead of getting 1 or 2 quality players a year at a position.  One year it's stockpiling WR's.  The next it is signing a bunch of OL.  The next is a great DL class.  The next is a great secondary class.  We have to stop trying to hit a homerun every 4 years at one position and get a few good ones every year.  I don't understand why we do this.  This process creates problems when you miss out on a year when you need it.  Our past recruiting makes us have years where we must sign a bunch at one position because 4 years ago was the last strong class at that position and they are all graduating.

I agree. Now, if you can just get Gus and the guys who do the crutin to see it your way we'll have something going.  But I really do agree with you.

Garner was doing a good job when he was the RC but this year kind of shakes it up.  We were going to be thin at Safety anyway but some attrition has really hurt us there.  I'm not near as worried if we stay healthy next year at Safety and Nickel as I am in 2 years at OL and QB.  We really needed another QB and 2 OTs this cycle and a quality TE.

I think the big group was brought in to replace the big group we'll be losing In a year or two.

Jalen Harris / Sr.

Ryan Davis / Sr.

Eli Stove / Jr.

Nate Craig-Meyers / Jr.

Darius Slayton / RS Jr.

Kyle Davis left us

Sal Cannella / Jr

Will Hastings / Sr

Tucker Brown / Sr.

That's 9 receivers gone from the program after next year or the one after. We may be hitting the panic button a little looking at the big group departing. Just wish we would have hit an OL panic button a little sooner. Next year's OL class is not very strong either.

Just being devil's advocate a little bit but we may be capitalizing on the appeal of having an appealing passer for the first time in a second.

If stove canella and NCM all leave then we must have had a great season and thrown for about 8000 yards.

plus we signed kids this recruiting cycle and we will again next year.  

1 minute ago, corchjay said:

If stove canella and NCM all leave then we must have had a great season and thrown for about 8000 yards.

plus we signed kids this recruiting cycle and we will again next year.  

I meant that they'll leave after 1-2 years. We always lose players to various issues. Sorry if I wasn't clear.

We'll be fine moving forward. I too really want some lineman but we should be able to pull in a good group next year.

4 minutes ago, Zeek said:

I meant that they'll leave after 1-2 years. We always lose players to various issues. Sorry if I wasn't clear.

We'll be fine moving forward. I too really want some lineman but we should be able to pull in a good group next year.

OT, TE and 2 QBs was the priority on offense this year.  DB on defense and quality depth on DL, WR, RB, LB and a punter if possible.

Huge swing and miss at OT and TE

1 minute ago, corchjay said:

OT, TE and 2 QBs was the priority on offense this year.  DB on defense and quality depth on DL, WR, RB, LB and a punter if possible.

Huge swing and miss at OT and TE

Unrelated to your last sentence but man am I excited about our punter!

36 minutes ago, AuburnNTexas said:

Because we are thin at Safety one or two injuries there and we are in a world of hurt. The miss on the O-line won't hurt us next year as very few freshman no matter how high they are rated will start their first year.  That is why Grimes is a great hire he has to make a solid O-Line from existing players even if we had pulled some OT's this year.. Miss on O-line hurts in the future as this years freshman could be starters in 2 years. Same with LB's hurts in the future also LB's hurt next year as freshman LB's are usually great on special teams where we definitely need to improve. A great class isn't just about how talented the players are but how many needs you fill.

I read the post as saying our recruiting class would crash and burn! Maybe I read it wrong!

If I’m remembering correctly and yes I’m to lazy to look it up on 247... Ashley and Troxell are the only true OTs we’ve signed in 3 years?  I know we have Bailey but he was a depth guy and possibly a combo type guy.  Then the 2 Princes were projects and I’m ok with that as well.  But if you are gonna crow about top 10 finishes each year in recruiting then you better fill your needs also.

plus I think when all is said and done we finish about 14th

Archived