Here is hoping we don't crash & burn since ENSD

AUIH1

1 minute ago, toddc said:

I read the post as saying our recruiting class would crash and burn! Maybe I read it wrong!

I’m speaking for him but with the time and effort the coaches have put in over the past 2 months on these last few commits we are missing where we didn’t need/want to miss

• Replies 129
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'll disagree about the priorities on the offensive side of the ball this year. The number one priority was RB. I think that was true even before we lost Kerryon (most folks knew this was Pettway's last year regardless of what happened). With Kerryon out the door, that was the number one priority, and personally, I think we knocked that out of the park. I'm not even considering Joiner. I think he's fated for TE/HB, but Martin and Shivers look like a fantastic duo. I won't be surprised if Martin is our starter at the end of 2018.

After that, I'd say Center and QB were the next priorities (with Dunn and Golson leaving and Stidham likely gone next year). Agree that we missed on a second QB, but we found a perfect QB3 for next season. Hopefully, we never have to break that glass.

THEN, I think you get to OT and WR (equal weight). We lost Kyle Davis and have two starting or rotational Senior WRs (Ryan Davis and Hastings). We only had one WR last year (Iggy). With our attrition and low numbers last year, that was a major position of need. Otherwise, we were going to be the position of needing a big class of WRs in 2019 and relying on that class to play immediately. No bueno. 

There is no way to hide the fact that we whiffed at OT, but in my view, it was the fourth or fifth priority on that side of the ball this year. We have five or six scholarship OTs (depending on whether you believe the rumors that Hamm can play outside), and all of them are Juniors or younger next year. While not ideal, there was more breathing room at that spot than there was at WR.

12 hours ago, corchjay said:

If I’m remembering correctly and yes I’m to lazy to look it up on 247... Ashley and Troxell are the only true OTs we’ve signed in 3 years?  I know we have Bailey but he was a depth guy and possibly a combo type guy.  Then the 2 Princes were projects and I’m ok with that as well.  But if you are gonna crow about top 10 finishes each year in recruiting then you better fill your needs also.

plus I think when all is said and done we finish about 14th

I agree that we eventually finish closer to 15 than 10 but MAN what a strange strange year and class. We have what 16  or 17 four stars committed and we most likely will finish out of the top ten? If you told me before the year that we had that many 4 stars in a class I would of thought we would be around the 7th or so ranked class.

11 hours ago, corchjay said:

plus I think when all is said and done we finish about 14th

You guys burying the body while it's still breathing? I'm not throwing in the towel just yet, it ain't over until it's over.

13 hours ago, bigbird said:

The balance between positions was a bit strange to me.  I don't understand the focus on WR.

Was to show the masses that Kodi deserved to be a coach at AU. Even though he had a ton of help this year, Kodi owes Porter a lot. 

14 hours ago, corchjay said:

Still no TE except the kid from last year that was a take for an old coaches friend

That burnt me up. We passed on the Lassater kid at FB, for a 2* TE that had some connections. 

To think we had Lutz and Uzomah just a few years ago.  SMH.

1 minute ago, WarDamnEagleWDE said:

Was to show the masses that Kodi deserved to be a coach at AU. Even though he had a ton of help this year, Kodi owes Porter a lot. 

You can say the same thing for our stud safety commits. A lot of credit needs to go to Porter for Sherwood and Steele for Smoke.

13 hours ago, corchjay said:

So back on topic, In the 2019 cycle we will have to load up on OTs.  Probably 4, 3 at a minimum.  I would expect at least one GT/JC and 3 high school.  It'll probably be 1 GT, 1 JC, and 2 HS.  

We looked and recruited most of the GT/JC OT's this year and struck out. Even with pretty much guaranteed playing time. 

Just now, WarDamnEagleWDE said:

We looked and recruited most of the GT/JC OT's this year and struck out. Even with pretty much guaranteed playing time. 

You think people are gonna be disappointed tomorrow? 

2 minutes ago, WarDamnEagleWDE said:

Herb was brought in the first time to replace JB because he was a better recruiter. Why could he not get it done this class? He did a solid to pretty good job last class.

9 hours ago, mcgufcm said:

I'll disagree about the priorities on the offensive side of the ball this year. The number one priority was RB. I think that was true even before we lost Kerryon (most folks knew this was Pettway's last year regardless of what happened). With Kerryon out the door, that was the number one priority, and personally, I think we knocked that out of the park. I'm not even considering Joiner. I think he's fated for TE/HB, but Martin and Shivers look like a fantastic duo. I won't be surprised if Martin is our starter at the end of 2018.

After that, I'd say Center and QB were the next priorities (with Dunn and Golson leaving and Stidham likely gone next year). Agree that we missed on a second QB, but we found a perfect QB3 for next season. Hopefully, we never have to break that glass.

THEN, I think you get to OT and WR (equal weight). We lost Kyle Davis and have two starting or rotational Senior WRs (Ryan Davis and Hastings). We only had one WR last year (Iggy). With our attrition and low numbers last year, that was a major position of need. Otherwise, we were going to be the position of needing a big class of WRs in 2019 and relying on that class to play immediately. No bueno. 

There is no way to hide the fact that we whiffed at OT, but in my view, it was the fourth or fifth priority on that side of the ball this year. We have five or six scholarship OTs (depending on whether you believe the rumors that Hamm can play outside), and all of them are Juniors or younger next year. While not ideal, there was more breathing room at that spot than there was at WR.

You are wrong here. AU wanted two high school OT's and a JUCO OT this cycle. And struck out. Two wasn't ideal but would have been OK. 

4 minutes ago, TigerFanAU said:

That burnt me up. We passed on the Lassater kid at FB, for a 2* TE that had some connections. 

To think we had Lutz and Uzomah just a few years ago.  SMH.

Didn't it turn out that the Lassiter kid had some serious off-field issues? "Dodged a bullet" was the term I saw somewhere.

2 minutes ago, Mikey said:

Didn't it turn out that the Lassiter kid had some serious off-field issues? "Dodged a bullet" was the term I saw somewhere.

No he didn't. And I never understood where that rumor started. 

It's a done deal now, but I don't understand where we're going with the TE/FB position. This is 2 years in a row we've struck out there.

8 minutes ago, WarDamnEagleWDE said:

Yup. Hand crapped the bed big time & none of the staff was happy about it.

8 minutes ago, ClaytonAU said:

You think people are gonna be disappointed tomorrow? 

On some level yes. Still it's a really good, although incomplete class.

Just now, ellitor said:

On some level yes. Still it's a really good, although incomplete class.

I agree. I just know how everyone is.

1 minute ago, TigerFanAU said:

No he didn't. And I never understood where that rumor started. 

It's a done deal now, but I don't understand where we're going with the TE/FB position. This is 2 years in a row we've struck out there.

Actually he really did and it was pretty well documented. I will not post it since it is pretty serious stuff but just google it. He was only  a young kid at the time though.

1 minute ago, Mid Atlantic Tiger said:

So, I would take he was more or less shown the door...?  Or was Gus caught by surprise by this?

Gus was surprised.

6 minutes ago, Mikey said:

I wouldn't go that far. I'd just say he was not a personality fit at all on his OV.

Just now, GwillMac6 said:

Actually he really did and it was pretty well documented. I will not post it since it is pretty serious stuff but just google it. He was only  a young kid at the time though

Pretty unfair to judge him if you ask me.  Doesn't matter at though. More focusing on what the plan for TE is.

2 minutes ago, Mid Atlantic Tiger said:

So, I would take he was more or less shown the door...?  Or was Gus caught by surprise by this?

Gus told Herb to look around even before the bowl game.

3 minutes ago, ClaytonAU said:

I agree. I just know how everyone is.

Its a real good class but missing out on all of the OT's drops it a notch or two. Still shaking my head taking all the WR's. Chase might be a surprise tomorrow also. 

Archived