Here is hoping we don't crash & burn since ENSD

AUIH1

9 minutes ago, WarDamnEagleWDE said:

Those two aren't solutions. Both are stretched thin as it is. Plus CGR wanting to step back his efforts.

Are you excited about the potential of our new coach Marcus Woodson and his potential recruiting ability? He seems to at least be getting MS kids excited so far for 2019.

• Replies 129
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Just now, WarDamnEagleWDE said:

If he can make it to AU. He has a lot of work to do in the classroom. 

This staff has typically done well with making sure the guys we take are capable of making it here. Two exceptions being Alaric Williams and Daquan Newkirk. We will see! 

3 minutes ago, GwillMac6 said:

Are you excited about the potential of our new coach Marcus Woodson and his potential recruiting ability? He seems to at least be getting MS kids excited so far for 2019?

I am. He is working hard. 

3 minutes ago, ClaytonAU said:

This staff has typically done well with making sure the guys we take are capable of making it here. Two exceptions being Alaric Williams and Daquan Newkirk. We will see! 

This is almost identical to Alaric Williams situation. 

Just now, WarDamnEagleWDE said:

This is almost identical to Alaric Williams situation. 

Bringer of bad news today, WDE. Give me something happy. 

6 minutes ago, ClaytonAU said:

Newkirk never signed though out of high school though. Thanks to Memphis able to take Carlito last year Alaric is the only exception the past 4 or 5 years.

2 minutes ago, WarDamnEagleWDE said:

Think we get the Chase kid. 

Please tell us the gravy on top is Ross goes to clemson and not bama...........

Just now, AUatHeart said:

Isn't he listed as a WR/LB prospect?

https://247sports.com/Player/JaMarr-Chase-82059

46 minutes ago, ellitor said:

By multiple accounts Chip was hard after JB when it was decided for Herb to move on, even slamming his fist on Gus's desk about it. Probably had a big part in Gus taking Grimes.

I actually find that encouraging to let his coordinators pick their guys.  It shows Gus is giving them more freedom with everything.  Last year Steele wanted Brown and got him.  If Chip wanted JB, by all means it was the right hire.  Again, Grimes can coach.  That is more important than being able to be a stud recruiter.  Developing guys in itself will draw recruits.  Simply recruiting and not knowing how to coach just caused issues and wastes talent.  Look at LSU.  They were reamed by the commentators at the Senior Bowl for wasting talent, especially in the WR's.

15 hours ago, corchjay said:

2020 and 2021 will be where we see failures of this recruiting class show up.  Just like next year at safety is where we will see issues come up from last years recruiting class failures show.  What's good about it is we can identify GT/JC players over the next year to be able to really fill those holes plus put a huge priority in on the high schoolers.

I love the players in this '18 recruiting class but it doesn't fill our needs very well.  We are getting out of balance after Coach G spent the first 5 years of recruiting getting the defense and offense and position groups balanced with players and talent.  Now this year with the misses on the OL creates gaps in year after year filling in, same can be said for safety but some of that is player transfers, Not finding another QB this cycle and seems like we are only going after Nix next cycle.  That's 3 QBs after next year and one may get their feelings hurt and decide to go somewhere else.  Still no TE except the kid from last year that was a take for an old coaches friend. He may be a stud but I have my doubts.  DL is really the only balanced recruiting we have right now.  

I think some of the getting out of balance is not intended but just getting the best player that we can get when we can get them. At least I hope that's the case.

14 hours ago, corchjay said:

If I’m remembering correctly and yes I’m to lazy to look it up on 247... Ashley and Troxell are the only true OTs we’ve signed in 3 years?  I know we have Bailey but he was a depth guy and possibly a combo type guy.  Then the 2 Princes were projects and I’m ok with that as well.  But if you are gonna crow about top 10 finishes each year in recruiting then you better fill your needs also.

plus I think when all is said and done we finish about 14th

Based on what you said we currently have 4-5 OT's depending on how you classify Bailey. If I am right Ashley and Troxell have 4 years left assuming neither leave early and the two Princes 3 years left. Am I correct we want 2 OTs every year so that we have 8. Also most OT's redshirt for a year so is it OK to have some years where we only sign 1. I know we struck out this year but if we sign 2-3 next year and 2 the following year we should be OK. Do any of our current Interior players like Horton and Harrell have the skill set to play RT?

9 minutes ago, AuburnNTexas said:

Do any of our current Interior players like Horton and Harrell have the skill set to play RT?

I dunno, but you take either of those guys from the interior and we are giving up some mighty precious experience given how little we return. 

If Joiner fails to qualify and Hill flips we sign just 21 players.

Pathetic effort on O-line recruiting. Gus and JB better bust their butts in the next year.

My thinking is if Gus wins <= 8 games each of th next two years he should be shown the door.

1 hour ago, WarDamnEagleWDE said:

If he can make it to AU. He has a lot of work to do in the classroom. 

This will be *really* disappointing, especially with the Alaimo kid looking like a good option we could have gotten....

13 minutes ago, AUwent said:

Hill flips we sign just 21 players.

As I told you in his thread, stop fretting. Hill is not flipping.

14 minutes ago, AUwent said:

My thinking is if Gus wins <= 8 games each of th next two years he should be shown the door.

He's safe for 4 years barring a Chizik.

15 minutes ago, ellitor said:

As I told you in his thread, stop fretting. Hill is not flipping.

He's safe for 4 years barring a Chizik.

Meaning 4 years of 8-5 and losses to UG and UA and us continuing to miss the positions most of need to us. In spite of our top ranked recruiting classes it doesn’t seem like we’re particularly deep at any position. 

I’d love to think we can blame Jacobs for Gus’s buyout because that would mean the root of our problems is gone, but since Leath apparently signed on to that, well...

4 minutes ago, AUwent said:

Meaning 4 years of 8-5 and losses to UG and UA and us continuing to miss the positions most of need to us. In spite of our top ranked recruiting classes it doesn’t seem like we’re particularly deep at any position. 

I’d love to think we can blame Jacobs for Gus’s buyout because that would mean the root of our problems is gone, but since Leath apparently signed on to that, well...

The new contract is all Leath.

Jacobs had NOTHING to do with this new contract for Gus. He specifically asked not to be involved and it was negotiated, not signed off on, by Leath and one of the BOT members. Leave Jay out of this one. I am sure you can find something else to blame him for. Moreover, your uninformed comments about not being deep at any position shows your lack of knowledge or general insistence to be negative or both.

Archived