Here is hoping we don't crash & burn since ENSD

AUIH1

13 minutes ago, auol72 said:

Jacobs had NOTHING to do with this new contract for Gus. He specifically asked not to be involved and it was negotiated, not signed off on, by Leath and one of the BOT members. Leave Jay out of this one. I am sure you can find something else to blame him for. Moreover, your uninformed comments about not being deep at any position shows your lack of knowledge or general insistence to be negative or both.

tenor.gif?itemid=7469485

• Replies 129
  • Created
  • Last Reply

People love to hate on Gus but he’s been better than most of our past coaches at this point in his career at AU...

17 minutes ago, ClaytonAU said:

People love to hate on Gus but he’s been better than most of our past coaches at this point in his career at AU...

You are correct

1st 5 years win totals

Gus- 45
CTT- 38
TB- 46
PD- 42

CTT and Pat Dye took over some horrible teams and only won 5 games their 1st year.  After year 5 they each went on a tear that is and was some of the best AU football ever.

They both won 47 games over their next 5 years including the down year at the end of their tenure.  

Next 5 Year win totals

PD- 47      10,9,10,10,8 with 3 SEC Titles and playing less games per season

CTT- 47    13,9,11,9,5   with 2 SEC Titles

TB- Fell off of a cliff

CGM- Can he do what CTT and PD did in his next 5 years?

I make no apologies for my dislike of Gus for a ton of reasons but up to this point he has done well as far as total victories goes.  Just imagine if he did not have the issues that make me dislike him so much.  He could/should be at 50 wins easily.

11 minutes ago, NorthGATiger said:

CTT and Pat Dye took over some horrible teams and only won 5 games their 1st year. 

Gus took a 3-9 team to a National Championship in his first year. 

Make no mistake I don’t hate or love Gus. He has glaring issues. BUT, complaining about his contract is silly because what Auburn is paying him is what the market called for. His good outweighs the bad. 

36 minutes ago, ClaytonAU said:

Gus took a 3-9 team to a National Championship in his first year. 

He did and the talent on that team is light years better and not even close to what CTT and Dye took over.  Actually if you go back and look at the rosters it is pathetically humorous. 

2 minutes ago, NorthGATiger said:

He did and the talent on that team is light years better and not even close to what CTT and Dye took over.  Actually if you go back and look at the rosters it is pathetically humorous. 

You know what was pathetic when Tuberville took over?  The SEC West.

Our fanbase has and will always see what they want to see. Gus took over Auburn in 2013 (a year after we had our worst season in history) to a national championship in a year where four West teams were ranked in the top 20. 3/7 of the West teams won 10+ games. We also started a DB at QB (Gus’ call btw). People hate Gus because he’s made questionable calls in big games, that’s literally all it is. He’s also made good calls like Nick Marshall, made Tre Mason a Heisman candidate, got Stidham and co. to an SEC Championship game. 

13 minutes ago, AUDevil said:

You know what was pathetic when Tuberville took over?  The SEC West.

Alabama was ranked #7 and dragged #5 Florida in the SECCG in 1999. There was definitely a dip for a few years after that, but LSU won the natty in 2003, and mostly stayed ranked in the top 5 for a couple years after that. Also, we had a very good uga team on our schedule in CTT's early years, and we played a very good UT team in '99, '03 and '04 (twice). Our schedule wasn't significantly easier than anyone else's in those years and was pretty tough in CTT's first year.

I'm with @ClaytonAU. Gus has some things to be criticized for and a lot of things to be praised for. Some folks only want to acknowledge one or the other, although I suspect a lot of that is more about not backing down in an argument than being objective. 

Minus LSU and the West was for sure down.  On the other hand the East was a beast and CTT did pretty dang good on a rotating schedule with those teams.

3 minutes ago, ClaytonAU said:

Our fanbase has and will always see what they want to see. Gus took over Auburn in 2013 (a year after we had our worst season in history) to a national championship in a year where four West teams were ranked in the top 20. 3/7 of the West teams won 10+ games. We also started a DB at QB (Gus’ call btw). People hate Gus because he’s made questionable calls in big games, that’s literally all it is. He’s also made good calls like Nick Marshall, made Tre Mason a Heisman candidate, got Stidham and co. to an SEC Championship game. 

Your retort was that Gus went to a NC with a 3-9 team while CTT and PD did not.  That 3-9 team had talent that quit playing for Chiz. I'm not going to take that away from Gus though as what he did was remarkable.

Just now, NorthGATiger said:

Your retort was that Gus went to a NC with a 3-9 team while CTT and PD did not.  That 3-9 team had talent that quit playing for Chiz. I'm not going to take that away from Gus though as what he did was remarkable.

Not that CTT and PD didn’t take them to championship in their first year, rather that Gus did. The talent argument is interesting but I was a baby in 99’ so I can’t actually argue anything on it. 

17 minutes ago, NorthGATiger said:

Minus LSU and the West was for sure down.  On the other hand the East was a beast and CTT did pretty dang good on a rotating schedule with those teams.

Well said.

3 minutes ago, ClaytonAU said:

Not that CTT and PD didn’t take them to championship in their first year, rather that Gus did. The talent argument is interesting but I was a baby in 99’ so I can’t actually argue anything on it. 

One of the problems with 98 was that we had very few playmakers on the team.  Little to no explosive WRs or RBs.  CTT did a great job of changing the culture (kicked Magwood off an already thin DL) and getting some guys to help immediately (Ronney D).  99 would have been a decent year had Leard not gotten hurt in the middle of the season, missing all or part of 5 games.  Klein and Gross were not SEC level QBs.  Not a bad job by Tuberville although he could have run Heath Evans more.  Rusty and Markeith were not SEC level backs.

All that being said...maybe it's today's marketing and the emergence of LSU and TAMU, but the SEC West didn't seem quite as strong as it has for the last 10 years.

In Tubs' time you could win at least a share of the West with a 5-3 conference record. You have no shot in today's SECW to pull that off with just 5 conference wins as it stands right now

10 minutes ago, AUDevil said:

All that being said...maybe it's today's marketing and the emergence of LSU and TAMU, but the SEC West didn't seem quite as strong as it has for the last 10 years.

I would argue that no division in CFB history has been as strong as the SECW the last 10 years (notable dip the last couple years notwithstanding). 

17 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

I would argue that no division in CFB history has been as strong as the SECW the last 10 years (notable dip the last couple years notwithstanding). 

When have Satan himself running rough shod, it's been pure hell in the SECW.  The coaching carousel has been brutal for the whole conference too.  

1 hour ago, AUDevil said:

One of the problems with 98 was that we had very few playmakers on the team.  Little to no explosive WRs or RBs.  CTT did a great job of changing the culture (kicked Magwood off an already thin DL) and getting some guys to help immediately (Ronney D).  99 would have been a decent year had Leard not gotten hurt in the middle of the season, missing all or part of 5 games.  Klein and Gross were not SEC level QBs.  Not a bad job by Tuberville although he could have run Heath Evans more.  Rusty and Markeith were not SEC level backs.

I thought that as well until I looked it up.  Jackie had MSU rolling pretty well.  In fact both Mississippi schools were ranked the first two years of CTT's tenure.  

19 hours ago, toddc said:

How can we crash and burn with a likely top 10 class? I get the need for ol, but to say we’ll crash and burn this year on recruiting is a bit much, unless it’s just hyperbole !

Easy, if we don't meet our needs on the two most important positions on the field other than QB and RB since we have really missed the ball given our reputation at that position.   Our DL recruiting (very good when RG is motivated)  and coaching has been good.  OL, not so much.  A school can achieve a top 10 class simply by signing position only skill positions depending on their rankings. uga (because of Smart) and spuat should be the blueprint for all coaches in terms of recruiting.

wde

20 hours ago, bigbird said:

The balance between positions was a bit strange to me.  I don't understand the focus on WR.

To my (admittedly simple ass) we should focus on OL, DL, and QB first.  Then go from there.

wde

6 hours ago, AUwent said:

Meaning 4 years of 8-5 and losses to UG and UA and us continuing to miss the positions most of need to us. In spite of our top ranked recruiting classes it doesn’t seem like we’re particularly deep at any position. 

I’d love to think we can blame Jacobs for Gus’s buyout because that would mean the root of our problems is gone, but since Leath apparently signed on to that, well...

We went 10-4 this year beating both Alabama and Georgia not to mention winning the SEC West and are really only whiffing on one position group (OL).  

You really don’t think we are deep at any position..?  A few I think we can say we are deep at is RB, WR, QB (quality not quantity), DL and LB.  Not bad.  And every team is thin at one position or another.  

4 minutes ago, abw0004 said:

We went 10-4 this year beating both Alabama and Georgia not to mention winning the SEC West and are really only whiffing on one position group (OL).  

You really don’t think we are deep at any position..?  A few I think we can say we are deep at is RB, WR, QB (quality not quantity), DL and LB.  Not bad.  And every team is thin at one position or another.  

My apologies. I had a bit of an anxiety lapse this morning. Feeling a bit better now.

Just now, AUwent said:

My apologies. I had a bit of an anxiety lapse this morning. Feeling a bit better now.

No worries!  It happens.  

Gus  has seemed to exceed NSD pessimistic expectations in the past. Here is hoping he can do it again tomorrow.

wde

1 hour ago, milehighfan said:

Why was the title of recruiting coordinator taken away from RG?

It wasn't taken from him. He chose not to be RC any more.

Archived