Malzahn's contract details

AU-24

21 hours ago, DAG said:

That is a significant difference seeing as many people go on throughout their coaching and playing career without an NC. Not to mention, Jimbo has been to the playoffs as well. 

And many people go throughout their career without ever playing for an NC.

4 hours ago, 1856 said:

And many people go throughout their career without ever playing for an NC.

And?

We are comparing a coach who won an NC vs a Coach who didn't win an NC. The coach who won the NC obviously wins in this discussion. Not to mention, as I already posted, this same coach has been to the postseason TWICE. He is the more proven coach. Only the most obvious homer would argue against why Gus is more proven than Jimbo.

Well, at least Gus and the Bussers are happy. 

It was a genius move to keep Gus, quell the calls for Gus' ouster, stick a thumb in the eye of those who spent years calling for JJ's head while screwing the school for the next 7 years.

Well played, JJ.  Well played...  :bow:

15 hours ago, AURealist said:

It was a genius move to keep Gus, quell the calls for Gus' ouster, stick a thumb in the eye of those who spent years calling for JJ's head while screwing the school for the next 7 years.

So guess we are going to have to !listen to the anti-JJ stuff for the foreseeable future . Would have been worth it to me to get rid of Gus if we knew the JJ whiners would knock it off after Gus was gone ?

20 hours ago, AURealist said:

Are you aware that Jay Jacobs had nothing to do with Malzahn's new contract? If you want to bash someone, then bash Steven Leath he's the one that negotiated it

3 hours ago, aufan57 said:

You are aware that Jay Jacobs had nothing to do with Malzahn's new contract. If you want to bash someone then bash Steven Leath he's the one that negotiated it

If Steven Leath actually negotiated the contract and didn't just go with it on advice of others, then Auburn University now has an idiot at its helm.  Actually, his signing off on it proves him an idiot.

Batten down the hatches.  Rough seas ahead.

JJ still sucks.  Good riddance to bad rubbish.

2 hours ago, AURealist said:

If Steven Leath actually negotiated the contract and didn't just go with it on advice of others, then Auburn University now has an idiot at its helm.  Actually, his signing off on it proves him an idiot.

Batten down the hatches.  Rough seas ahead.

JJ still sucks.  Good riddance to bad rubbish.

Is this Rand Paul speaking here? :angry:

On 2/8/2018 at 2:07 PM, DAG said:

And?

We are comparing a coach who won an NC vs a Coach who didn't win an NC. The coach who won the NC obviously wins in this discussion. Not to mention, as I already posted, this same coach has been to the postseason TWICE. He is the more proven coach. Only the most obvious homer would argue against why Gus is more proven than Jimbo.

Wins what discussion?  I was saying it wasn't right to say Jimbo is proven and Gus isn't.   Never said Gus was more proven than Jimbo...  Re-read what I wrote.

10 minutes ago, 1856 said:

Wins what discussion?  I was saying it wasn't right to say Jimbo is proven and Gus isn't.   Never said Gus was more proven than Jimbo...  Re-read what I wrote.

My apologies

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/9/2018 at 7:34 AM, AU64 said:

So guess we are going to have to !listen to the anti-JJ stuff for the foreseeable future . Would have been worth it to me to get rid of Gus if we knew the JJ whiners would knock it off after Gus was gone ?

I  couldn't stand Jacobs.  I'm not complaining.  The mouth breather is gone.  Gus got lucky with Bielema tanking and Arkansas calling.  If Bielema hadnt been fired Gus wouldnt have gotten this fat new raise.  Funny part is Gus was tired of the fans frustration with him.  More money means more expectations.  Seven million a year can't shield his family from the criticism of a 8-5 season. Maybe Gus leaves Lindsey alone for 12 sames.  I would like to know the full extent of what his assistants said to him after LSU.

11 hours ago, ToomersStreet said:

I  couldn't stand Jacobs.  I'm not complaining.  The mouth breather is gone.  Gus got lucky with Bielema tanking and Arkansas calling.  If Bielema hadnt been fired Gus wouldnt have gotten this fat new raise.  Funny part is Gus was tired of the fans frustration with him.  More money means more expectations.  Seven million a year can't shield his family from the criticism of a 8-5 season. Maybe Gus leaves Lindsey alone for 12 sames.  I would like to know the full extent of what his assistants said to him after LSU.

I still can't fathom why we gave him that contract. Honestly, it doesn't make a whole lot of sense to lock ourselves into such a long contact where we'll likely end up having to pay him a lot to not be here. Just like we did with Chizik.

He's not, and shouldn't be, our future for the next 7 years. The idea of another 7 years is frankly exhausting.

1 hour ago, Zeek said:

I still can't fathom why we gave him that contract. Honestly, it doesn't make a whole lot of sense to lock ourselves into such a long contact where we'll likely end up having to pay him a lot to not be here. Just like we did with Chizik.

He's not, and shouldn't be, our future for the next 7 years. The idea of another 7 years is frankly exhausting.

This sums up how I feel perfectly. Usually by this time of the year I'm amped for spring practice to start cranking up but for some reason this past season left me emotionally exhausted.

59 minutes ago, Tiger said:

This sums up how I feel perfectly. Usually by this time of the year I'm amped for spring practice to start cranking up but for some reason this past season left me emotionally exhausted.

Exactly, I'm just never going to be confident with Gus going into a new season each year. All I can hope for this season is that he really, truly, completely, and utterly hands over control of the offense to CL. What exactly does Gus provide for the team?

Excellent recruiter? No.

Innovative Offense? Not anymore, we don't use the hurry up unless it's to dive up the middle and we're painfully obvious with our play calling. Red Zone offense alone is alarming.

Defense: Thankfully Steele has morphed this group into a serviceable and dominant force (something it hadn't really been since Tommy T left)

Special Teams: Until recently they were doing great...Hoping our Aussie punter can help here but the return game has to improve our KR and PR never have an ounce of blocking to return with in the first place.

Motivator? No way

Awesome interviews or Public Relations? Hahahaha

Player Development: Our only truly successful QBs have all been transfers with Sean White coming the closest to serviceable. There isn't a QB who spent their entire time under Gus that has been a stellar player. Cam, Nick, Jarrett all were transfers. Jeremy Johnson, Jonathan Wallace, Kiehl Frazier, Clint Mosley,  Kodi Burns, Brandon Cox and a slew of QBs who never started. Why do Auburn QBs get in off-field trouble all the time?

I'm just not seeing where he earns 7 million dollars per year regardless of performance...It would take a starting teacher a little over 205 years of work to make how much we're giving him for a year of football...We need contracts where coaches wins determines their pay :dunno: To go off on a tangent, a local high school coach here gets 80k per year and has won 4 games each of the last 3 seasons...That's 20k per win against homecoming level teams!

44 minutes ago, Zeek said:

Exactly, I'm just never going to be confident with Gus going into a new season each year. All I can hope for this season is that he really, truly, completely, and utterly hands over control of the offense to CL. What exactly does Gus provide for the team?

Excellent recruiter? No.

Innovative Offense? Not anymore, we don't use the hurry up unless it's to dive up the middle and we're painfully obvious with our play calling. Red Zone offense alone is alarming.

Defense: Thankfully Steele has morphed this group into a serviceable and dominant force (something it hadn't really been since Tommy T left)

Special Teams: Until recently they were doing great...Hoping our Aussie punter can help here but the return game has to improve our KR and PR never have an ounce of blocking to return with in the first place.

Motivator? No way

Player Development: Our only truly successful QBs have all been transfers with Sean White coming the closest to serviceable. There isn't a QB who spent their entire time under Gus that has been a stellar player. Cam, Nick, Jarrett all were transfers. Jeremy Johnson, Jonathan Wallace, Kiehl Frazier, Clint Mosley,  Kodi Burns, Brandon Cox and a slew of QBs who never started. Why do Auburn QBs get in off-field trouble all the time?

I'm just not seeing where he earns 7 million dollars per year regardless of performance...It would take a starting teacher a little over 205 years of work to make how much we're giving him for a year of football...We need contracts where coaches wins determines their pay :dunno: To go off on a tangent, a local high school coach here gets 80k per year and has won 4 games each of the last 3 seasons...That's 20k per win against homecoming level teams!

Mostly agree but Brandon Cox didn't play for Gus so I'm not sure how he got in the group of QBs you listed. I mentioned in a thread last year the same point of paying coaches per win. Others said you'd never get a coach to agree to that. People in sales do it all the time and the coach is selling his team to fans who purchase tickets and provide the income and to future recruits. I think Gus is a motivator because the team never quits on him. I don't think he is the best planner though. After plan A fails he seems to have no plan B. That has to be fixed. 

12 minutes ago, gr82be said:

Mostly agree but Brandon Cox didn't play for Gus so I'm not sure how he got in the group of QBs you listed. I mentioned in a thread last year the same point of paying coaches per win. Others said you'd never get a coach to agree to that. People in sales do it all the time and the coach is selling his team to fans who purchase tickets and provide the income and to future recruits. I think Gus is a motivator because the team never quits on him. I don't think he is the best planner though. After plan A fails he seems to have no plan B. That has to be fixed. 

Hear, hear.

The fact that the team didn't quit on him after the LSU game this past season tells me that he is some sort of motivational wizard. 

The way we lost that game confirms the rest of what you said. 

7 hours ago, Zeek said:

Excellent recruiter? No.

Motivator? No way

Did we mention Jacobs is gone?

20 hours ago, Zeek said:

Excellent recruiter? No.

Motivator? No way

Just out of curiosity, who do you think Auburn can hire today that's better than CGM?

People analyze, critique, and measure CGM from every angle imaginable and when ANY man is put under such an intense microscope they will fall short in numerous areas.  At the end of the day does anyone think Auburn can do better?

IMHO - Gus Malzhan is as good as it gets for Auburn and he's here to stay for a while, so settle in and get comfortable because he's manning this thing and he's doing it his way.

As far as contract go, schools have little leverage when a coach has them backed in a corner.  Gus and Jimmy Sexton played an excellent hand of cards late last season.  Jimmy orchestrated quite the show and did his level best to build up the anticipation.  Bert Bielima played his part to perfection by crapping the bed at Arky leaving them in need of an HC - Jimmy fed the media leaking rumors and innuendo about Arky's interest in CGM.  Gus did his part and went on to beat the crap out of AU's two biggest rivals for the first time in years and won the SEC West making him loved again by AU as well as a viable candidate for the Arky HC job. 

It all culminated into a grand ending with Gus/Jimmy strategically placing their offer on Auburn's table before the SECCG.  At that specific point in time, AU was backed into a corner and they proceeded to bend AU over a barrel forcing them to agree to the terms.  The landscape of the college coaching searches had either already transpired or were underway, and with the craziness of the coaching carousel there really was nothing AU could do but throw up their hands and open their wallets like they'd been robbed.

On 2/21/2018 at 8:19 AM, Zeek said:

Unfortunately, that's the game these days, thanks to agents. Pony up the big $ on a long term contract with the coach that has been instrumental in your team seeing the most SEC championship games runs since the game's inception and national championship runs since we started playing football, or roll the dice that you can land some coach out there who can meet or exceed his level. As long as schools continue to sell the farm to get who they think they want, it's a pretty big risk to give up what you've got, unless they are failing, without the next plan in the bag.

The situation Leath was faced with was a short clock and no known, better options. He played the odds correctly and I guarantee you the offer was only to outbid Arkansas, not to see how long we could keep him around. Whether it was the best decision for our future will never be known.

4 hours ago, keesler said:

Just out of curiosity, who do you think Auburn can hire today that's better than CGM?

People analyze, critique, and measure CGM from every angle imaginable and when ANY man is put under such an intense microscope they will fall short in numerous areas.  At the end of the day does anyone think Auburn can do better?

IMHO - Gus Malzhan is as good as it gets for Auburn and he's here to stay for a while, so settle in and get comfortable because he's manning this thing and he's doing it his way.

As far as contract go, schools have little leverage when a coach has them backed in a corner.  Gus and Jimmy Sexton played an excellent hand of cards late last season.  Jimmy orchestrated quite the show and did his level best to build up the anticipation.  Bert Bielima played his part to perfection by crapping the bed at Arky leaving them in need of an HC - Jimmy fed the media leaking rumors and innuendo about Arky's interest in CGM.  Gus did his part and went on to beat the crap out of AU's two biggest rivals for the first time in years and won the SEC West making him loved again by AU as well as a viable candidate for the Arky HC job. 

It all culminated into a grand ending with Gus/Jimmy strategically placing their offer on Auburn's table before the SECCG.  At that specific point in time, AU was backed into a corner and they proceeded to bend AU over a barrel forcing them to agree to the terms.  The landscape of the college coaching searches had either already transpired or were underway, and with the craziness of the coaching carousel there really was nothing AU could do but throw up their hands and open their wallets like they'd been robbed.

I don’t think Gus is as good as it gets for Auburn. I guess it depends on what you are basing it on. If you are speaking on proven commodity then yes, he is the best we can get. However , a very limited amount of schools can just pick and choose so they want UNLESS you are willing to break the bank. I believe there are a few better X and O guys out there, but they aren’t proven at this level . Nevertheless, CGM is our coach. I don’t think he is going to get any better or any worst than what we have seen, even with the pay raise. The one exception is if he does have a playmaker behind center. 

Archived