How did we do compared to our biggest rivals

AUIH1

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply
8 hours ago, lionheartkc said:

Exactly. There is also no way that Georgia finally having 1 good year boosted this class like it did. Part of it was the cupboard being stocked 8n Georgia high schools, but it's no coincidence that Kirby leaving bama for Georgia coincided with Georgia recruiting skyrocketing and bama recruiting dropping off.

Uga has always been a sleeping giant..:now they have a coach that can leverage the pitch of Georgia pride and staying at home to play. But Auburn can compete and beat them. Some of you act like Auburn should fold up shop and cancel football.

2 hours ago, McLoofus said:

You're right. Winning those 2 games had no positive effect on recruiting, which is clearly what this thread is about. But hey, keep complaining about the "mindless bashing". 

welp...i guess it’s a wrap. Maybe Gus should hire a few of you guys to hit the recruiting trail. Auburn will never consistently out recruit the state school in Alabama or Georgia. Too many kids grow up wanting to rep their state. You put good recruiters and coaches like Kirby and Nick and it’s a recipe for recruiting success. However that does not mean Auburn can not compete and beat them on the field. You can’t have a  huge gap but you have to recruit top ten, which Auburn has been able to do.

19 hours ago, SumterAubie said:

It is the only reason some to come here to post.

we will finish above everyone in the SEC besides uga and Bama. and Bama it'll be close. all things considering I think we recruit pretty damn good. 

UGA beat everybody badly today. State School with no real in-state competition and now with Kirby a recruiting monster.  bama theoretically had a higher ranked class but while a highly rated class they had a lot of gaps.  Like us no OT 1 Center 1 Guard both 4*, 2 4* WR, 1 4*RB, 1 3* TE,No QB. Offensively not a great haul. 3WDE 1 5* and 2 4*, 1 4* DT,  4 CB 1 5*, 1 4*, and 2 3*,  1 3* ILB.  So they missed at OT and QB, only 1 LB if they have any attrition they could be hurting. We Had a solid class that met most of our needs I believe this class helped us more than the bama class helped them. We did miss on OT and TE unless you count Joiner. Overhaul we were as good as or better than bama better than balance of the SEC and I am jealous of the Georgia class.

One key issue is how well teams outside of the SEC did. Normally you have 3-4 SEC teams in top 10 and some others not far behind. This year it seems many other teams have caught up. Another team that hurts us is Miami as having another strong recruiting team in Florida hits one of our recruiting areas. 

If we are still getting top 10-12 recruiting classes and come in 3rd in the SEC gives us a solid chance of beating them on the field at least 2 out of 5 seasons is not bad by any means. Heck, what other SEC team has beaten them in the past season? Starting with the 2017 season and going fast forward for the next 5 seasons, we can beat each of these teams (turds and mutts) 2 or possibly 3 times with the talent we are bringing in.  This is a very realistic assessment of what we can do.

I want to beat them every year and feel we have a chance any season of doing this. Being realistic, I know we cannot do this nor can any SEC team unless they want to cheat to get there; Ole Miss.....In a few seasons, Saban will retire and this will level the playing field to where we can go head to head with them and win a lot more on and off the field battles.

Who knows about the mutts.......This past season was a good one for them no doubt. However, 2018 could see them coming back to earth more than a lot of folks realize.

On 2/6/2018 at 5:53 PM, Mikey said:

Quote" How did we do compared to our biggest rivals (especially, uga and spuat)..... " [/i]

We played them three times in the recent season and beat them twice.

So, you are saying we are 2-7 in our last 9 against them with 2 road trips next season? 

How we did probably depends on what each team needed.    Seems we pretty well got what we needed......don't know what the other guys needed and whether they filled their needs.   JMO but just looking at a list of players and stars does not tell us too much...

Per 247 our average ranking the last five classes (2014-18) has been 8.8. Last four classes has been 9.5, last three classes 10. I don't know if that trend is necessarily bad. I don't have time to compute the same figures for others. That said I think we need a big class next year. If we get one whatever shortcomings we had in this class are forgiven.

1 hour ago, doc4aday said:

If we are still getting top 10-12 recruiting classes and come in 3rd in the SEC gives us a solid chance of beating them on the field at least 2 out of 5 seasons is not bad by any means. Heck, what other SEC team has beaten them in the past season? Starting with the 2017 season and going fast forward for the next 5 seasons, we can beat each of these teams (turds and mutts) 2 or possibly 3 times with the talent we are bringing in.  This is a very realistic assessment of what we can do.

I want to beat them every year and feel we have a chance any season of doing this. Being realistic, I know we cannot do this nor can any SEC team unless they want to cheat to get there; Ole Miss.....In a few seasons, Saban will retire and this will level the playing field to where we can go head to head with them and win a lot more on and off the field battles.

Who knows about the mutts.......This past season was a good one for them no doubt. However, 2018 could see them coming back to earth more than a lot of folks realize.

UGA will be favored in every RS game next season except MAYBE AU, unless something unpredictable happens like a scandal or crazy number of injuries.

26 minutes ago, ChltteTiger said:

UGA will be favored in every RS game next season except MAYBE AU, unless something unpredictable happens like a scandal or crazy number of injuries.

I’ll be curious to see their off-field behavior. I feel like they had a bunch of arrests last year...including some after the SEC game. 

1 hour ago, AidiAU said:

I’ll be curious to see their off-field behavior. I feel like they had a bunch of arrests last year...including some after the SEC game. 

They signed over half a dozen 5*’s and 4*’s,  UGA blew this class out of the water just like UAT blew it out with their 2017 class.  

We fell out of top 10 so not sure what all the poditive spin is about.  Apparently coming in  a fistant 3rd behind UGA and Bama is ok with everyone.  And the dominating class by UGA is ok because we are going to beat them regardless.  I think people have the head in the sand syndrome.  Bama lost too many assistants and it showed in recruiting but UGAs dominance is scary.  And the majority of AU fans don’t think it matters.  Our oline is not going to be good next yr.  Unless we score big in ‘19 with recruits that can have immediate impact, we are going to be hurting.  RB is tbd.  None of our backs were good enough to play much this yr. so not sure who plays next yr. We lost the last two games becuz we had to play a hurt KJ.  Sorry but the “we are going to be fine” attitude and “state schools are going to do better” defeatest attitude bugs the c__p out of me.  The class is good not great and we fell behind our two major rivals— fact.

All I have figured out from all these threads in the off season is that we are done for. Which is good, then we don't have to worry about stadium renovations and football projects and can turn our focus and money toward academics. We obviously just suck on all levels right now so lets start doing what Auburn University was developed for and that is a center of higher education.

I remember Dye keeping up with Bama.... what was it 2 years no bowls, year a no TV, with a little lack of institutional control?

Say we drop football and scholarship soccer and lacrosse. Those guys are scoring the needed entrance scores to attend Auburn.

Cool let's shut the program down then. We are already defeated for 2018. I agree defeatist attitude bugs the crap out of me also, not even started spring practice and 2018 is a wash for so many.

8 hours ago, mom2kid said:

We fell out of top 10 so not sure what all the poditive spin is about.  Apparently coming in  a fistant 3rd behind UGA and Bama is ok with everyone.  And the dominating class by UGA is ok because we are going to beat them regardless.  I think people have the head in the sand syndrome.  Bama lost too many assistants and it showed in recruiting but UGAs dominance is scary.  And the majority of AU fans don’t think it matters.  Our oline is not going to be good next yr. Unless we score big in ‘19 with recruits that can have immediate impact, we are going to be hurting.  RB is tbd.  None of our backs were good enough to play much this yr. so not sure who plays next yr. We lost the last two games becuz we had to play a hurt KJ.  Sorry but the “we are going to be fine” attitude and “state schools are going to do better” defeatest attitude bugs the c__p out of me.  The class is good not great and we fell behind our two major rivals— fact.

The O-line class that was rated #1 in the nation two years ago is on campus, knows their way around by now and has just acquired a coach that has a history of developing talent. All is not lost there. We can take a one-year hit of UGA getting a lights-out class. UAT has done that for years and we beat them last time we played. AU doesn't have to out-recruit these people to beat them, we just have to stay close and this class did that. If AU had to out-recruit the likes of UAT, UGA, Florida and Tennessee to beat them, our winning percentage against those schools would run around 10%.

Auburn will be fine.  These recruiting rankings get folks all in a tizzy for a few days after NSD is over and then we move on to something else.  

Interesting 24/7 has us with more recruiting "points" this year while finishing 12th nationally, than last year when they had us finishing 9th. It's all relative. fwiw, only Ohio State & Texas signed more 4 stars.

10 hours ago, mom2kid said:

We fell out of top 10 so not sure what all the poditive spin is about.  Apparently coming in  a fistant 3rd behind UGA and Bama is ok with everyone.  And the dominating class by UGA is ok because we are going to beat them regardless.  I think people have the head in the sand syndrome.  Bama lost too many assistants and it showed in recruiting but UGAs dominance is scary.  And the majority of AU fans don’t think it matters.  Our oline is not going to be good next yr.  Unless we score big in ‘19 with recruits that can have immediate impact, we are going to be hurting.  RB is tbd.  None of our backs were good enough to play much this yr. so not sure who plays next yr. We lost the last two games becuz we had to play a hurt KJ.  Sorry but the “we are going to be fine” attitude and “state schools are going to do better” defeatest attitude bugs the c__p out of me.  The class is good not great and we fell behind our two major rivals— fact.

Step back from the ledge. 

I am actually embarrassed AU fans write things like this for the kids and their families to read. Goodness. 

And don't generalize the AU fans saying the majority do not think UGA's recruiting matters. Even if you are only going off of the attitude on this forum, that would be incorrect. 

Archived