***2018 NSD Thread (Feb 7th)***

aujeff11

1 minute ago, auol72 said:

turns out we had room for Cam Taylor and the big OT prospect J. Goss. I bet the coaches wish now they would have taken those two. We did not have to have an OT from this class ready to play i 2018 and Goss had great potential. He was a TE in high school so he played a little high but he had very good athletic ability and was 6'6" and could have put on good weight. Anyway, water under the bridge.

That's where a coaching staff gets in the "dammed if you do, dammed if you don't" situation. Had we taken the commitments of those two and then Walker, Langham, Chase and Ross all wanted to come to AU we would have had room for only two of them. It's a high stakes gamble that sucks when you roll snake eyes.

• Like 6

28 minutes ago, TAYLORKEETON said:

Man...that’s a plus but a lot of negative too. Really thought we’d land more 

We did better today than the school across the state. They got a taste of their own medicine.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Although, I think it would be nice to roll a spot back.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, lionheartkc said:

With the current lack of depth in the secondary, I'd like to have the #1 JUCO Safety back.

Got a name to go with that? My memory is slipping, I suppose.

3 minutes ago, Zeek said:

Although, I think it would be nice to roll a spot back.

Are we still allowed to do that with the hard ceilings we have now?

I would like to add a transfer OT, whether it be a graduate transfer or undergrad transfer, and roll one back. I wouldn't be opposed to rolling both back and going heavy on OT next year though. Seems like we've gotten off to a good start in building relationships with the '19 class. Having 27 slots could be a blessing. 

1 minute ago, lionheartkc said:

Are we still allowed to do that with the hard ceilings we have now?

Yes. That's how we got 26 this time.

Just now, WarEagle2423 said:

I would like to add a transfer OT, whether it be a graduate transfer or undergrad transfer, and roll one back. I wouldn't be opposed to rolling both back and going heavy on OT next year though. Seems like we've gotten off to a good start in building relationships with the '19 class. Having 27 slots could be a blessing. 

Two of the top players in Alabama, next year are OTs. One has already committed to bama, but as we saw today, they are no longer invincible when it comes to stealing their commits.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, lionheartkc said:

Two of the top players in Alabama, next year are OTs. One has already committed to bama, but as we saw today, they are no longer invincible when it comes to stealing their commits.

Having Bo Nix in the fold for us early should help us with them and other Olinemen. Knowing you'll have an elite quarterback to block for should be a major selling point. 

• Like 2

We have a great class. Time to get to work. Quite a bit question marks for next season. This is when the coaching staff earns those paychecks.

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, lionheartkc said:

Character

I do keep a list of players that leave by attrition, have done it for years. My note beside Character is : "Kicked off team, 5-18-'17". I hardly think that's a mistake on our part. Gus usually gives second and sometimes third chances before a player gets the boot. Hope he's grown up a bit.

4 minutes ago, WarEagle2423 said:

Having Bo Nix in the fold for us early should help us with them and other Olinemen. Knowing you'll have an elite quarterback to block for should be a major selling point. 

Priority number one. 

3 minutes ago, aufootball1 said:

And not ONE damn TE signed today... I guess CGM will continue to call the plays!  

It's a dying position.

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, aufootball1 said:

And not ONE damn TE signed today... I guess CGM will continue to call the plays!  

lol. What do we need a TE for? We don't use the ones we have already. 

2 minutes ago, aufootball1 said:

Why sign a TE when they don't fit into the offense? If it helps your feelings any, signee Joiner was signed as a TE/HB player. He's a great receiver out of the backfield and fits our offense better than a true TE would.

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, aufootball1 said:

Pointless to sign one when we don't even use them, TBH.