Men vs. Texas A&M - game thread

WarTiger

It may be the correct call by the letter of the law, but you, me, my dead grandma, any random dude living in New South Wales, a Martian, and the saints in heaven all know that 99.9% of the time, you could take a lead pipe to the shooter when the clock is winding under 10 seconds to play and the ref swallows the whistle.  But this Billy Badass is going to call a foul on a guy standing there because the dude's heel is 3 microns over the line.  Un-effing-believeable.

• Replies 319
  • Created
  • Last Reply
8 minutes ago, ShocksMyBrain said:

Who was tracking the tamu fouls? I made a remark that we were drawing them like crazy and then it disappeared. 

They had 17 fouls until the 10:48 mark of second half.  They had 3 after that.  I’m sorry but that smells.

1 minute ago, CameronCrazy said:

I was really worried going into this game. But after seeing our fight w/o Bryce, my only concern is keeping him healthy the rest of the year. Even with their obvious size advantage and being down 17, we still should have won this game.

I truly think we can win the rest of our games with BB in the lineup. Bryce would have torched that zone in the 2nd half and we would have pulled away from A&M. 

Brown knocks down those 3s Dunbar missed. No offense to Dunbar, I like his game but he can't shoot like BB

2 minutes ago, CameronCrazy said:

I was really worried going into this game. But after seeing our fight w/o Bryce, my only concern is keeping him healthy the rest of the year. Even with their obvious size advantage and being down 17, we still should have won this game.

I truly think we can win the rest of our games with BB in the lineup. Bryce would have torched that zone in the 2nd half and we would have pulled away from A&M. 

I think we would have scored about 6-7 more points overall with BB playing the 2nd half. Just a guess.

Just now, Jgarrett7 said:

Brown knocks down those 3s Dunbar missed. No offense to Dunbar, I like his game but he can't shoot like BB

Completely agree - he had at least two open looks that he should have knocked down. 

The calls just didn’t go our way tonight, but this was a game that will benefit us come tournament time. There’s plenty of material that we can build off of and learn from. I can’t wait to play Kentucky, Florida, & UAT with a healthy Bryce Brown

3 minutes ago, TitanTiger said:

It may be the correct call by the letter of the law, but you, me, my dead grandma, any random dude living in New South Wales, a Martian, and the saints in heaven all know that 99.9% of the time, you could take a lead pipe to the shooter when the clock is winding under 10 seconds to play and the ref swallows the whistle.  But this Billy Badass is going to call a foul on a guy standing there because the dude's heel is 3 microns over the line.  Un-effing-believeable.

This. Okeke's sole was barely flirting with that ridiculous arc when Billy  thought it would be a good opportunity to make nice with the rules committee. 

8 minutes ago, WeagleAU said:

It sucks to lose to a bad team at home, and Auburn has some hard road games coming up.  I hope Pearl can wake this team up to regroup

a&m is hardly a bad team.  they will be  a tournament team, actually.  they had a rough stretch early in conference play, but they are back to playing like the top 5 team they once were.

needless to say, this a&m team was a match-up nightmare!!!  literally

so, this game will be remembered for au playing like s*** in the first half... coming all the way back... and losing by 1 on a questionable call with under 5 secs to go.

all this without bryce brown!

so it’s not that bad of a loss...

13 minutes ago, AUwent said:

I say that because that's what I thought after last weekend. I thought that starting tonight we would tail off. Just to be clear, my expectations didn't take a giant nose dive.

Yea, we "tailed off" tonight by losing on a last second shot to the healthy TAMU squad that was top 5 earlier this year before injuries by coming back down 17 without our best eligible player in the second half.  There are bad takes, and then there is this

9 minutes ago, mustache eagle said:

They had 17 fouls until the 10:48 mark of second half.  They had 3 after that.  I’m sorry but that smells.

ALSO ... we had 6 fouls at the same 10:48 mark ... we were called for 7 fouls after that.  I’m sorry but That also smells .

The ball hitting the rim on the last shot was a perfect picture of how extremely close we were to winning this one.  Every time we had a turnover, we gave it right back. We go for a dunk and get blocked only to have them slam it the other way.  After the missed shot and rebound , the millimeters of the heel being on the line being the difference of the call after hitting 2 foul shots to tie it. Lost by 1 point at the buzzer.  So very close and all without Bryce. This team could win it all. They have fortitude to stand up to anyone. 

Kudos to Horace on making the clutch free throws.  He has come a long way from last year. 

10 minutes ago, ClaytonAU said:

This loss won’t hurt us. One point loss and without Bryce. The home loss sucks but we’ll bounce back.

NO. The roof is caving in and the basement is flooding. We suck and will always suck no matter what. 

My last post on this game on a positive note:

If you had told me last year that Horace Spencer would hit 2 FTs to tie a game with 0:10 left, I would have laughed in your face. Hard.

Just now, jared52 said:

My last post on this game on a positive note:

If you had told me last year that Horace Spencer would hit 2 FTs to tie a game with 0:10 left, I would have laughed in your face. Hard.

And it was a game that had meaning ... in front of a sold out crowd.  The FT shooting this year has been impressive.

I bet he injured it on the dunk he had.  It looked a bit awkward. 

Actually probably the dunk he shouldn't have tried, that got stuffed.

8 minutes ago, BJCrawford said:

Sorry if this has been said but I was not able to follow tonight, do we know how Brown is?

We don’t know the prognosis yet. He was on the sideline for the rest of the game in warmups. Didn’t appear to have an ice pack or bulging wrap. Hopefully he’s back before next game. 

7 hours ago, ShocksMyBrain said:

We don’t know the prognosis yet. He was on the sideline for the rest of the game in warmups. Didn’t appear to have an ice pack or bulging wrap. Hopefully he’s back before next game. 

He was in good spirits also other than the loss, not like he had gotten bad news from the trainers

7 hours ago, ShocksMyBrain said:

(For what it's worth) He did have an ice pack for the first half and halfway into the second and then took it off.  I do hope he is okay.  We will need him.

All I want is Georgia.  Please run them into the ground.  I will be at that game too.

9 hours ago, AUBwins said:

I bet he injured it on the dunk he had.  It looked a bit awkward. 

Actually probably the dunk he shouldn't have tried, that got stuffed.

I read that Bruce said he did injure it on a baseline dunk with about 5 minutes left in first half. He will have it looked at today. Bruce called it a strain. 

Shoulder injuries make me extremely anxious as a basketball fan, those things can linger the rest of the season.  Hope Bryce can bounce back.

10 hours ago, WeagleAU said:

It sucks to lose to a bad team at home, and Auburn has some hard road games coming up.  I hope Pearl can wake this team up to regroup

Good thing we didn't lose to a bad team then. aTm is #20 in the RPI now (was #30 yesterday). Don't look only at their record as a judge on who they are. They were ranked in the top 5 just before SEC play started.

Trying those jams on the aggies big guys was mostly a futile effort.....gotta give them credit, nothing was easy around the basket ......but with Brown gone in the second half the outside game was not as much of a threat.  

As for the foul disparity.....early on their big guys were getting so open underneath that none of our defenders were even close enough to foul them....and of course their gunner  (Starks?) was red hot and was open because we were over playing inside.    Seems to me the number of fouls on both teams was a reflection of how the game was being played.......well other than that BS call with 3 seconds left in the game. 

Archived