Men vs. Texas A&M - game thread

WarTiger

I actually think this game may pay dividends down the road. We shall see.

• Replies 319
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Man... I am seriously impressed at all of the measured, logical responses to a loss in this thread. Can we bring some of that into football season next year? 

I don’t often blame refereeing for a loss. I certainly can pick out poor refereeing but in the end it usually does not completely affect the outcome.

This affected the outcome. What a whimp of a call to call a guy who is not even altering the shot- Chuma didn’t even have his hands in the air and contact with him was not even made until after the shot had gone up. In no way did Chuma alter the guy’s shot. Technically is it a foul? I’m still not even sure about that. It wasn’t like Chuma jumped and swatted and mauled the guy. It happened after the shot. That’s a no call. That’s a dadgum no call and the SEC ought to be ashamed of that call. What a terrible way to end a game. A bail out call with 2 seconds left. That’s the second time I’ve seen a bail out call this year in the SEC with that little time remaining and Its getting to the point where something needs to be done. We saw missed calls and bad calls all night last night. we outplayed A&M in the second half and deserved that win. To have it taken away by the stripes is exactly the opposite of what college athletics should be about. What a joke. What an absolute joke of a call.

21 minutes ago, tigerbrotha12 said:

I don’t often blame refereeing for a loss. I certainly can pick out poor refereeing but in the end it usually does not completely affect the outcome.

This affected the outcome. What a whimp of a call to call a guy who is not even altering the shot- Chuma didn’t even have his hands in the air and contact with him was not even made until after the shot had gone up. In no way did Chuma alter the guy’s shot. Technically is it a foul? I’m still not even sure about that. It wasn’t like Chuma jumped and swatted and mauled the guy. It happened after the shot. That’s a no call. That’s a dadgum no call and the SEC ought to be ashamed of that call. What a terrible way to end a game. A bail out call with 2 seconds left. That’s the second time I’ve seen a bail out call this year in the SEC with that little time remaining and Its getting to the point where something needs to be done. We saw missed calls and bad calls all night last night. we outplayed A&M in the second half and deserved that win. To have it taken away by the stripes is exactly the opposite of what college athletics should be about. What a joke. What an absolute joke of a call.

Terrible rule. Chuma had established position but his foot was on the line. All  the offensive player has to do is run over the defender and he gets free throws. Winner or loser of game was determined by that inch CO's foot was on the line. 

3 hours ago, boomstick said:

Good thing we didn't lose to a bad team then. aTm is #20 in the RPI now (was #30 yesterday). Don't look only at their record as a judge on who they are. They were ranked in the top 5 just before SEC play started.

Yeah, I see what your saying.  I was looking at the fact A&M has struggled in league play and was 1-5 on the road coming into this game.  Like Pearl was saying  in postgame last night, it makes this home game loss a little tougher and puts a little more pressure on the team going forward with some tough games ahead on the road and at home.  I do believe Auburn would have won this game if Bryce was in, but things happen.

With that said, I believe this loss won’t be a let down that will effect them the rest of the season.  This team has shown to be resilient.

6 minutes ago, WeagleAU said:

Yeah, I see what your saying.  I was looking at the fact A&M has struggled in league play and was 1-5 on the road coming into this game.  Like Pearl was saying  in postgame last night, it makes this home game loss a little tougher and puts a little more pressure on the team going forward with some tough games ahead on the road and at home.  I do believe Auburn would have won this game if Bryce was in, but things happen.

With that said, I believe this loss won’t be a let down that will effect them the rest of the season.  This team has shown to be resilient.

True....and basketball teams know they are not going undefeated and a few losses don't end their hopes.   Last night the #1 and #3 teams also lost home games.....happens almost every week these days that a top 10 team takes a loss.   

Against the aggies, our guys never quit and never lost their poise either....kept working the plan and by all rights should have at least gotten the game into OT after being down by 17 at one point. 

27 minutes ago, WeagleAU said:

Home losses make everything tougher. But the team we played last night was 5-2 in their last 7, which is the number of games they've had their full team back healthy/not suspended. I still think we should've/could've won that game, but their record isn't a good indicator of who they are. They are probably the best, most complete team we will face in the regular season, regardless of their record, and I think we are every bit as good.

3 hours ago, lionheartkc said:

Man... I am seriously impressed at all of the measured, logical responses to a loss in this thread. Can we bring some of that into football season next year? 

one or two more and BP will be a bum who don't know what a tight end is and placed on the hot seat.

2 minutes ago, alexava said:

one or two more and BP will be a bum who don't know what a tight end is and placed on the hot seat.

LOL! I know you're just being silly but I'll add that Bruce Pearl in the basketball world >>>>>>>> Gus in the football world. I have a million times more confidence in the leadership of our bball program than I do our football program. It's obvious our football coach is trying to figure things out as he goes while Bruce is tried and tested and has a formula for success that he implements wherever he is coaching and gobs of wins always follow. Just look at Bruce's career.

This, along with the fact that a loss in basketball is not nearly as hurtful as one in football, is probably part of the reason why we are looking at the positives of this loss rather than a Gus-inspired meltdown.

Ahem sorry for that tangent!

7 minutes ago, Tiger said:

LOL! I know you're just being silly but I'll add that Bruce Pearl in the basketball world >>>>>>>> Gus in the football world. I have a million times more confidence in the leadership of our bball program than I do our football program. It's obvious our football coach is trying to figure things out as he goes while Bruce is tried and tested and has a formula for success that he implements wherever he is coaching and gobs of wins always follow. Just look at Bruce's career.

This, along with the fact that a loss in basketball is not nearly as hurtful as one in football, is probably part of the reason why we are looking at the positives of this loss rather than a Gus-inspired meltdown.

Ahem sorry for that tangent!

Not so sure i see more success in BP's career. But i do see that is probably the general thought around here anyway. 

3 hours ago, lionheartkc said:

Can we bring some of that into football season next year? 

Who's losing next year...

giphy.gif

The best thing Bruce has going for him is that we are not nearly as confident in our basketball knowledge as we are our football knowledge. 

Football consensus: doesnt he see what hes doing wrong!

Basketball consensus: Wow we’re doing good. Keep....shooting...good...?

25 minutes ago, Auhud08 said:

The best thing Bruce has going for him is that we are not nearly as confident in our basketball knowledge as we are our football knowledge. 

Football consensus: doesnt he see what hes doing wrong!

Basketball consensus: Wow we’re doing good. Keep....shooting...good...?

Very true- also, however, Bruce is very good at halftime adjustments. He switched to a zone last night in the second half and we shut down the inside a little more than the first half. Granted thy still went inside and got their points,  but we kept their guards from driving and dishing, and forced lob passes, some of which were defended well by us, and were thrown out of bounds by them. We’re actually a pretty good defensive team and really good at offense when we’re knocking down shots. Really impressed with the heart these guys play with. TAMU might be the best all- around team in the conference now that they have their full starting lineup back. It’ll be interesting to see where they end up in the tournament. By no means will that be a “bad loss” for us. 

5 hours ago, tigerbrotha12 said:

This affected the outcome. What a whimp of a call to call a guy who is not even altering the shot- Chuma didn’t even have his hands in the air and contact with him was not even made until after the shot had gone up. In no way did Chuma alter the guy’s shot. Technically is it a foul? I’m still not even sure about that. Yes, technically its a foul by definition.  It wasn’t like Chuma jumped and swatted and mauled the guy. It happened after the shot. That’s a no call. definitely NOT a no call.  It has to be something there. Because of the stupid restricted area rule its a blocking foul. Anywhere else on the floor its a charge.  That’s a dadgum no call and the SEC ought to be ashamed of that call. No.  It occured against an airborne shooter.  By definition the shooter remains a shooter until he returns to the floor.  What a terrible way to end a game. A bail out call with 2 seconds left. That’s the second time I’ve seen a bail out call this year in the SEC with that little time remaining and Its getting to the point where something needs to be done. We saw missed calls and bad calls all night last night. we outplayed A&M in the second half and deserved that win. To have it taken away by the stripes is exactly the opposite of what college athletics should be about. What a joke. What an absolute joke of a call.  It's an awful way to lose a game, but I guarantee if we had been on offense and benefited from that call, there wouldn't be any complaints at all about the call.  It's just human nature, but this call did NOT lose the game for Auburn.  It's just magnified 100X because of when it happened.   The crew missed several others (for both teams) over the course of the game that impacted the game as well. 

It was absolutely the right call (by less than an inch) because of the restricted area.   I've said over and over when this filtered down from the NBA its a colossally stupid rule and it doesn't belong in the college game at all.  It hasn't prevented any injuries or cleaned up post play like it was supposed to do.  It's a pointless addition to the rule book that should be removed.   I'm glad we don't have it at the high school level. 

18 hours ago, PowerOfDixieland said:

Pretty much textbook under "how to take a charge and draw the offensive foul"...fully set and feet did not move an inch, body leaning back.

Even better than textbook, because in the rule book there's NO requirement at all for the defender to be "set".  That's something made up by announcers over the years.  It's never been a defensive requirement to draw an offensive foul.  All they have to do is establish a  legal guarding position.  The defensive player is allowed to move to maintain that position.

24 minutes ago, WarTiger said:

Even better than textbook, because in the rule book there's NO requirement at all for the defender to be "set".  That's something made up by announcers over the years.  It's never been a defensive requirement to draw an offensive foul.  All they have to do is establish a  legal guarding position.  The defensive player is allowed to move to maintain that position.

One play in particular during the A&M game, we had a defender moving backwards. The A&M player initiated contact and we were called with a blocking foul. It was a completely blown call. You are right on the ruling, a defender does not need to be set. The rules of basketball have moved more in favor of the offense throughout the years. 

Edit: I guess I should say the officiating has moved in favor of the offense throughout the years.

8 minutes ago, AU Is Gold said:

One play in particular during the A&M game, we had a defender moving backwards. The A&M player initiated contact and we were called with a blocking foul. It was a completely blown call. You are right on the ruling, a defender does not need to be set. The rules of basketball have moved more in favor of the offense throughout the years. 

Edit: I guess I should say the officiating has moved in favor of the offense throughout the years.

Yep. I think it was Harper that was called for the foul when the offensive player either lowered his shoulder into him or pushed off with the forearm. 

8 hours ago, lionheartkc said:

No because one loss in football equals about four losses in bball. 12 game regular season vs. 31 games. Plus a 4-team tournament vs. 68-team tournament.

One loss in bball, learning experience. One loss in football, devastating.

8-10 losses in a bball regular season is surmountable. Two losses in football, insurmountable.

Moral of the story, the margin for error in football is light years slimmer. 

Archived