Sign in to follow this  
Zeek

2019 5* OT Devontae Dobbs

Recommended Posts

DevontaeDobbs.jpg
Devontae Dobbs / 5* OT / Belleville High School / Belleville, MI

6'4" 270 lbs.

Looks like he's been fluctuating between a lot of northern teams (Ohio State, Michigan, Michigan State) but he attended an Alabama camp and has shown some interest in southern schools. It would be a huge uphill battle but I'd love for us to get the #1 OT in this class.

 

Edited by Zeek

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites




Maybe not his best highlight video.  He appeared to get beat in several of those 1v1 snaps

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, LKEEL75 said:

Maybe not his best highlight video.  He appeared to get beat in several of those 1v1 snaps

Realistic look of where he's at. I believe 1v1 drills naturally lend themselves to benefiting defenders.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Zeek said:

Realistic look of where he's at. I believe 1v1 drills naturally lend themselves to benefiting defenders.

Agree that D has advantage for sure.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I am a little surprised at 6'4" and 274 pounds he is rated this high.  I realize once he gets to college you can put some meat on him but usually the scouts want taller guys at OT because of their reach. Does he have long arms for his size.  His film was OK but not great. In the one on ones I understand the D has an advantage but he got run over on a couple of bull rushes which should not happen in one on one.  I still like this kid and hope we get him but I don't think he would be ready for SEC caliber play for at least two years needs to gain mass, strength, and muscle. Would have loved to see him in more of a run blocking scenario so I could see if he is a nasty bulldozer type.

Edited by AuburnNTexas

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, AuburnNTexas said:

I am a little surprised at 6'4" and 274 pounds he is rated this high.  I realize once he gets to college you can put some meat on him but usually the scouts want taller guys at OT because of their reach. Does he have long arms for his size.  His film was OK but not great. In the one on ones I understand the D has an advantage but he got run over on a couple of bull rushes which should not happen in one on one.  I still like this kid and hope we get him but I don't think he would be ready for SEC caliber play for at least two years needs to gain mass, strength, and muscle. Would have loved to see him in more of a run blocking scenario so I could see if he is a nasty bulldozer type.

Agree with your assessment. He is a long shot for us but definitely worth keeping an eye on no matter where he goes. It'll be interesting to see if he continues to fill out any during his senior year.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Is he a target? Usually pages at made for targets,  not wants from posters. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, ClaytonAU said:

Is he a target? Usually pages at made for targets,  not wants from posters. 

I am sure the coaches have been evaluating the kids from multiple classes over last couple years 2018, 2019, 2020 and building relationships but since 2018 recruiting basically ended yesterday I doubt they have their 2019 boards setup yet.  We know there are a few like Nix and Pickens they were on early and have gotten to commit. I am sure there are some others they have been on but many will be added in next few months as the new crops start hitting the camps and then there are the late bloomers or guys who don't do the camp circuit that they will need to wait until senior season to hear about from their sources and go visit.  At this time I wouldn't expect a lot from the insiders yet. That said I like what Zeke is doing he is finding people that he knows has Auburn offers and letting us know something about them.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Well, if we do want him, luckily he is in Mississippi and we hired a recruiting wizard from Mississippi and the home state schools are a mess. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23 hours ago, abw0004 said:

Well, if we do want him, luckily he is in Mississippi and we hired a recruiting wizard from Mississippi and the home state schools are a mess. 

Dobbs is from Michigan... 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, ClaytonAU said:

Dobbs is from Michigan... 

It’s says Belleville, Mississippi correct?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I’m not sure we will ever get the high ranked OTs that most folks on here want. Remember we are a run first team and like the RPO, so we don’t really specialize in pass pro OTs. Most of those guys would not fit well in our offense. That doesn’t mean the ones we get are not good for our offense it just means they are probably not going to be highly rated by the ranking services.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
37 minutes ago, abw0004 said:

It’s says Belleville, Mississippi correct?

 

1C006476-82BD-497A-A7E0-D4F29DEEBAB4.png

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
34 minutes ago, abw0004 said:

Ah.  The OP says MS, not MI. 

That’s where my original question came from. We typically don’t recruit that area. That’s why I thought it was a want not an actual target.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
57 minutes ago, ClaytonAU said:

That’s where my original question came from. We typically don’t recruit that area. That’s why I thought it was a want not an actual target.

My bad, not sure why I was thinking Mississippi. He does have an Auburn offer so I'd be surprised if he's not a target.

  • Like 1
  • Facepalm 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, Zeek said:

My bad, not sure why I was thinking Mississippi. He does have an Auburn offer so I'd be surprised if he's not a target.

You have disappointed me two times this week Zeek.  I can’t believe you.  I trusted you, how could you do this to me!

  • Haha 1
  • Sad 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, WarDamnEagleWDE said:

Ms is Mississippi. Mi is Meeeeechigan. Mississippi doesn't have any 5* kids, bunch of 4*'s. 

Dean is, and I'm going to call my shot that Pickering ends up there as well. Really like both of those players.

Edited by au_bsci_04

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 2/8/2018 at 3:01 PM, AuburnNTexas said:

I am a little surprised at 6'4" and 274 pounds he is rated this high.  I realize once he gets to college you can put some meat on him but usually the scouts want taller guys at OT because of their reach. Does he have long arms for his size.  His film was OK but not great. In the one on ones I understand the D has an advantage but he got run over on a couple of bull rushes which should not happen in one on one.  I still like this kid and hope we get him but I don't think he would be ready for SEC caliber play for at least two years needs to gain mass, strength, and muscle. Would have loved to see him in more of a run blocking scenario so I could see if he is a nasty bulldozer type.

I was thinking the same thing about his height. It seems that being over 6-5 is almost a prerequisite for the tackle position. Maybe this young man will grow another inch or 2. His size looks more like a guard or center. The scouts know light years more than I will ever know, and if tackle is the position best suited for him, the it is tackle! 

Edited by doc4aday

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, WarDamnEagleWDE said:

Ms is Mississippi. Mi is Meeeeechigan. Mississippi doesn't have any 5* kids, bunch of 4*'s. 

The original post had MS and has since been changed, that’s where the confusion came from.  It didn’t help that there is a Belleville in Mississippi as well.  

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

Sign in to follow this