2019 4* RB Derrian Brown

Zeek

3 hours ago, McLoofus said:

I wonder if anyone has considered Kevin Greene for a position on staff why does nobody ever talk about him

His wife said he was ready to do it for sure.  Walk on who is the NFL leader for sacks from the LB position and in the hall of fame.  He also has a background with Kevin Steele.  Another gem with NFL coaching experience that we could use.  Love me some Kevin Greene

• Replies 169
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 hours ago, Mikey said:

There has been talk, just not recently. Personally, I don't see why a multi-millionaire would want to start off at the bottom of the coaching ladder. I wouldn't.

He coached for several years in the NFL.  Matthews at GB and others.  From what I understand his son was going to Southern Miss and he took some time away to spend with him.  His wife tweeted that she knew a former player that she was really close to that would come to Auburn in a heart beat.  I won't tell you why this staff won't hire him because I am trying to not be negative when I don't have to :jossun:

5 minutes ago, NorthGATiger said:

He coached for several years in the NFL.  Matthews at GB and others.  From what I understand his son was going to Southern Miss and he took some time away to spend with him.  His wife tweeted that she knew a former player that she was really close to that would come to Auburn in a heart beat.  I won't tell you why this staff won't hire him because I am trying to not be negative when I don't have to :jossun:

I might get back to you about that at some point, out of curiosity. But I'm okay finding out another time. 

2 hours ago, NorthGATiger said:

He coached for several years in the NFL.  Matthews at GB and others.  From what I understand his son was going to Southern Miss and he took some time away to spend with him.  His wife tweeted that she knew a former player that she was really close to that would come to Auburn in a heart beat. I won't tell you why this staff won't hire him because I am trying to not be negative when I don't have to :jossun:

Actual truth, as opposed to whining, is not negative. If you know something real, now's the time to discuss it. If you don't, then you were wise to not to add to the endless, pointless whining.

1 minute ago, Mikey said:

Actual truth, as opposed to whining, is not negative. If you know something real, now's the time to discuss it. If you don't, then you were wise to not to add to the endless, pointless whining.

Mikey there have been a ton of actual truths shared on this message board that get referred to as being negative.  The whining comment is hilarious.   Labeling me as a whiner is the equivalent of calling you Enchanted, mesmerized, or spellbound concerning Gus.  Should I refer to you as Malzahn Mesmerized from now on or Enchanted Mikey?  I have a feeling you are about as much an Enchanted Mikey as I am a whiner so lets just leave that sort of garbage out of the equation.  It's discussing Auburn on a message board not whining.   

1 minute ago, NorthGATiger said:

Mikey there have been a ton of actual truths shared on this message board that get referred to as being negative.  The whining comment is hilarious.   Labeling me as a whiner is the equivalent of calling you Enchanted, mesmerized, or spellbound concerning Gus.  Should I refer to you as Malzahn Mesmerized from now on or Enchanted Mikey?  I have a feeling you are about as much an Enchanted Mikey as I am a whiner so lets just leave that sort of garbage out of the equation.  It's discussing Auburn on a message board not whining.   

Well then, if your comment is not just another idle slur on the coaching staff, what's your actual knowledge of the Greene situation?

10 minutes ago, Mikey said:

Well then, if your comment is not just another idle slur on the coaching staff, what's your actual knowledge of the Greene situation?

Well for starters he is extremely passionate about everything and let Steele know it on the sidelines at Carolina.
http://i.imgur.com/blfCSWn.jpg

Wanted to kill the man.  Not sure how badly Steele would want to work with him.  Greene was RUMORED to be a for sure hire to come with Charles Kelly until that fell through.  Greene is a Dye man and I do believe Gus has had all of the suggestions from that camp and the PTB that he can stomach.  His new contract assures that he will not have to listen to anyone regarding such matters and that is how it should be.  If it isn't Gus' idea then I seriously doubt he will listen to that outside influence regardless of how great the hire might be.  
Philosophy wise Greene and Steele prefer two completely different styles on how to approach the game from a Defensive standpoint.  Thats not made up and it isn't said to say one or the other is correct.  My personal opinion is that Greene would go nuts coaching kids to play within our system under Steele.  Steele has been successful here so what I think is irrelevant.  Greene seems to be doing well in New York and the LBs seem to love his personality and intensity.

For me personally, and you didn't ask, I would welcome Greene as not only a coach that knows his stuff but also, and just as important,as a recruiter.  I would not have any hesitation following Kirby, Dabo, or Saban into the same house with Greene.  He has the pedigree, he earned it the hard way, and he had extreme success at the highest level.

6 hours ago, NorthGATiger said:

Well for starters he is extremely passionate about everything and let Steele know it on the sidelines at Carolina.

Wanted to kill the man.  Not sure how badly Steele would want to work with him.  Greene was RUMORED to be a for sure hire to come with Charles Kelly until that fell through.  Greene is a Dye man and I do believe Gus has had all of the suggestions from that camp and the PTB that he can stomach.  His new contract assures that he will not have to listen to anyone regarding such matters and that is how it should be.  If it isn't Gus' idea then I seriously doubt he will listen to that outside influence regardless of how great the hire might be.  
Philosophy wise Greene and Steele prefer two completely different styles on how to approach the game from a Defensive standpoint.  Thats not made up and it isn't said to say one or the other is correct.  My personal opinion is that Greene would go nuts coaching kids to play within our system under Steele.  Steele has been successful here so what I think is irrelevant.  Greene seems to be doing well in New York and the LBs seem to love his personality and intensity.

For me personally, and you didn't ask, I would welcome Greene as not only a coach that knows his stuff but also, and just as important,as a recruiter.  I would not have any hesitation following Kirby, Dabo, or Saban into the same house with Greene.  He has the pedigree, he earned it the hard way, and he had extreme success at the highest level.

Well then, since according to your post Greene simply doesn't fit with Auburn's current staff on several levels it's very wise to not consider him for a position on said staff, wouldn't you agree? I've spent a career hiring people and one thing I learned early on is that if someone won't fit with the program and current employees they aren't the right person to hire.

1 hour ago, Mikey said:

Well then, since according to your post Greene simply doesn't fit with Auburn's current staff on several levels it's very wise to not consider him for a position on said staff, wouldn't you agree? I've spent a career hiring people and one thing I learned early on is that if someone won't fit with the program and current employees they aren't the right person to hire.

That would be correct.  I just don't see a good fit with Kevin, Steele, and Gus.  Now with a different staff at Auburn I would love to see KG here and I think he would do really well.

• 3 months later...

Thought I would bump this thread since he is coming to BCW.

20 minutes ago, kd4au said:

Thought I would bump this thread since he is coming to BCW.

Probably a tier 2 guy right now after Noah Cain, John Emery, & Mark Antony Richards FWIW.

• 1 month later...
10 minutes ago, CR said:

Guess that means we're on tier 2 guys based on E's previous post.

Not necessarily..I get the impression Cain has come down to Earth on our staff's board just as he did in the rankings. Staff is still being patient on it's top 4 or 5 guys.

On 2/22/2018 at 2:31 PM, NorthGATiger said:

Don't mean to burst your bubble on Greene but he was never even considered to be a on the field coach at AU. As far as a recruiter? Greene has never recruited a high school kid in his coaching career and has zero ties to any high school. Not someone you want trying to get his feet wet right now with the two bookends we have now with uat & uga. We have enough deadweight on this staff in regards to recruiting compared to those two schools. Hard pass on Greene. 

2 hours ago, ellitor said:

Not necessarily..I get the impression Cain has come down to Earth on our staff's board just as he did in the rankings. Staff is still being patient on it's top 4 or 5 guys.

Cain has had AU 3rd the whole time. Staff moved on because he wasn't going to AU. IMO. I though for sure we would land a elite back this cycle. Looks like we will miss out here and at OT. 

3 minutes ago, WarDamnEagleWDE said:

Staff moved on because he wasn't going to AU. IMO.

Interesting. There were reports out saying we were willing to wait to see how LSU’s season starts till around October before moving on from Cain.

Just now, ellitor said:

Interesting. There were reports out saying we were willing to wait to see how LSU’s season starts till around October before moving on from Cain.

Didn't mean moving on as in not recruiting him anymore. But putting more effort into other kids, like Brown and Emery. 

I will say the same thing was said about Harold Joyner last cycle. 

WDE isn't one I would contemplate arguing with, but the same kind of things were said about Joyner last cycle. I remember because I wanted Joyner in the class from the moment I saw his tape. There were a number of times it was said there was no way he would be a part of the class, but he was. 

I hate that we haven't been able to sign a true elite back in almost a decade. KJ was probably the highest rated one since Dyer signed in 2010, and he was an athlete. But a 4 star back is always nice and can work well in this offense. Cain is even a 4 star, who has fallen in every service. 

On to Brown, he doesn't look to shabby... 

Edit I see WDE said we aren't moving on so that's good

Archived