2019 4* RB Derrian Brown

Zeek

Brown and McIntosh seem to be our fall back plans. Both are solid 4* backs that would fit well into our system. I would prefer McIntosh only because he is little bit bigger which usually fits better between the tackles. I would be happy with either. I don't know why but I have a feeling this year we will see more RB by committee and I would not be surprised to see Joyner and Shivers be a part of the committee.

• Replies 169
  • Created
  • Last Reply
59 minutes ago, WarDamnEagleWDE said:

Didn't mean moving on as in not recruiting him anymore. But putting more effort into other kids, like Brown and Emery. 

And Kenny McIntosh.

50 minutes ago, Auburn2Eugene said:

I hate that we haven't been able to sign a true elite back in almost a decade. KJ was probably the highest rated one since Dyer signed in 2010, and he was an athlete.

In terms of ratings, wrong. Roc was a 5* & Jovon missed being a 5* out of juco by a whisker. Both

25 minutes ago, AuburnNTexas said:

I would prefer McIntosh only because he is little bit bigger which usually fits better between the tackles.

FWIW Brown is built in a way that he can carry 215 or so & do it well.

10 minutes ago, ellitor said:

FWIW Brown is built in a way that he can carry 215 or so & do it well.

Thanks for that information. I would still be happy with either Brown or McIntosh. Like everyone I want a 5* perfect back but as you have said and as the Auburn Offense has shown over the years a good solid back can do very well in this offense. Now lets get Gus to start using multiple good solid backs instead of running one into the ground.

Its hard for me to judge this guy because Buford is one of those teams that blocks their ***** off so the hole is always there. Whats he like with less than ideal blocks thrown is what i want to see.

3 hours ago, WarDamnEagleWDE said:

Don't mean to burst your bubble on Greene but he was never even considered to be a on the field coach at AU. As far as a recruiter? Greene has never recruited a high school kid in his coaching career and has zero ties to any high school. Not someone you want trying to get his feet wet right now with the two bookends we have now with uat & uga. We have enough deadweight on this staff in regards to recruiting compared to those two schools. Hard pass on Greene. 

How much recruiting had Dell McGee done when he was a HS coach?  How about Kodi Burns?  I didn't say that Auburn was trying to get Greene.  He was rumored to be coming with Charles Kelly after Muschamp left before Kelly turned Gus down.  Regardless of past recruiting experience Greene, who has a son in college he has to relate to, has the pedigree to walk into any home with instant credibility to kids and parents that he knows 1)  Coaching being an NFL coach, and 2)  what it takes to get to and succeed at the next level going from a walk on to a HOF player.  Would he kill it or fall flat on his face at Auburn?  We won't know that answer.

1 hour ago, War to the Eagle said:

How in the hell are we missing on RUNNING BACKS?!  Is it all Horton?

It’s Gus running KJ into the ground

7 hours ago, ClaytonAU said:

RB1s into the ground & not playing back ups much. Also see the last 2 or 3 pages of the Tye Edwards thread @War to the Eagle. There is a good discussion there on it.

7 minutes ago, ellitor said:

RB1s into the ground & not playing back ups much. Also see the last 3 pages of the Tye Edwards thread @War to the Eagle. There is a good discussion there on it.

Building experienced depth must be a totally foreign concept to Gus, but it’s common sense to me.  Really frustrating!!!

10 hours ago, War to the Eagle said:

How in the hell are we missing on RUNNING BACKS?!  Is it all Horton?

9 hours ago, ClaytonAU said:

2 hours ago, ellitor said:

RB1s into the ground & not playing back ups much. Also see the last 2 or 3 pages of the Tye Edwards thread @War to the Eagle. There is a good discussion there on it.

1 hour ago, gctiger said:

Building experienced depth must be a totally foreign concept to Gus, but it’s common sense to me.  Really frustrating!!!

Also, we can look at the NFL.

Tre Mason- 5th RB taken in 2014, out of the league
CAP- 16th RB taken in 2015, RB2 at Carolina for now (they just signed CJ Anderson)
Barber- Undrafted in 2016, RB4 at Tampa Bay
Grant- Undrafted in 2016, RB3 at Jax
No draftees or UFAs in 2017
KJ- 6th RB taken in 2018, RB2 at Detroit for now

Gus can't claim a single feature NFL back or 1st or 2nd rounder since he's been at Auburn. Two 3rd rounders and a 5th rounder. Factoring in that RBs have been devalued in the draft, that's not awful. But when you look at our 3 main rivals- bama, uga and LSU- they can all claim a far superior footprint in the NFL, both in terms of the draft and in terms of current NFL depth charts. (As can some other schools.)

If we start winning some championships and don't ever have another RB drafted, I'm fine with that. But it seems that a run-first offense that wants to win championships should start getting its Fournettes or Henrys or Gurleys and start having some Guices and Drakes and Chubbs to share the load. 

16 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

Also, we can look at the NFL.

Tre Mason- 5th RB taken in 2014, out of the league
CAP- 16th RB taken in 2015, RB2 at Carolina for now (they just signed CJ Anderson)
Grant- Undrafted in 2016, RB3 at Jax
No draftees or UFAs in 2017
KJ- 6th RB taken in 2018, RB2 at Detroit for now

Gus can't claim a single feature NFL back or 1st or 2nd rounder since he's been at Auburn. Two 3rd rounders and a 5th rounder. Factoring in that RBs have been devalued in the draft, that's not awful. But when you look at our 3 main rivals- bama, uga and LSU- they can all claim a far superior footprint in the NFL, both in terms of the draft and in terms of current NFL depth charts. (As can some other schools.)

If we start winning some championships and don't ever have another RB drafted, I'm fine with that. But it seems that a run-first offense that wants to win championships should start getting its Fournettes or Henrys or Gurleys and start having some Guices and Drakes and Chubbs to share the load. 

Exactly.  Whether it matters or not and whether we all agree or not it is so easy to negatively recruit against us right now at the RB position.  You are not playing much until your JR year.  You are going to take a beating and be the focus of our offense.  Regardless of stats history shows that you will be a RB2 or RB3 at the next level with virtually no shot of getting 1st or 2nd round money.

Here is the main thing I don't understand.  Why are we not recruiting the size to play how Gus wants to play?  Fournette, Chubb, and Gurley are the size backs I would like to see in this offense.  Ronnie Brown sized backs.  Not every back this size has the speed and quickness that these three backs have but can we please recruit a guy or two with some size.

2 minutes ago, NorthGATiger said:

Exactly.  Whether it matters or not and whether we all agree or not it is so easy to negatively recruit against us right now at the RB position.  You are not playing much until your JR year.  You are going to take a beating and be the focus of our offense.  Regardless of stats history shows that you will be a RB2 or RB3 at the next level with virtually no shot of getting 1st or 2nd round money.

Plus, if you go to AU, you will be injured. Do you really want to risk your career?

There are so many underrated/underevaluated RB.  To me, we need better talent evaluation for the RB position for OUR offense

39 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

Could have sworn I saw where he is RB1 or 2 going into this season. I know he finished last season as RB1. Just looked at the Bucs roster. He will battle rookie RB Ronald Jones for RB1 but likely start the season as RB1.

39 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

Gus can't claim a single feature NFL back or 1st or 2nd rounder since he's been at Auburn.

first part, yes he can. See my Barber reply. 2nd part. You said in your own post Tre was a 2nd rounder. lol

Also CAP is RB3 at best behind CJ & McAffery.

Agree with the overall theme of the post even though a couple of supporting details were off.

Many think we need the Henry, fournette, or Chubb type back for our O.  I think the ideal back for our O is more in line with the KMart type. A one cut back that has the speed to take it to the house everytime. 

6 minutes ago, ellitor said:

Could have sworn I saw where he is RB1 or 2 going into this season. I know he finished last season as RB1. Just looked at the Bucs roster. He will battle rookie RB Ronald Jones for RB1 but likely start the season as RB1.

first part, yes he can. See my Barber reply. 2nd part. You said in your own post Tre was a 2nd rounder. lol

Agree with the overall theme of the post even though a couple of supporting details were off.

No, I said Tre was the 5th back taken. Get on the google box and check it out, yo. He was a 3rd rounder.

Didn't realize Quizz Rodgers was on the bubble at TB. Either way, they didn't take Jones in the 2nd round because they think Barber is the man. You can say that Barber is "likely" to win the job but you're in the minority.

So one detail off: Barber is not RB3 at TB. He is likely RB2. Since you're keeping score. 

Just now, bigbird said:

Many think we need the Henry, fournette, or Chubb type back for our O.  I think the ideal back for our O is more in line with the KMart type. A one cut back that has the speed to take it to the house everytime.

I agree with this. I'm not saying that we need a guy who matches those guys in terms of metrics or "style". I'm saying that we need to hit on the guys at the top of our board, who tend to both fit our offense and be better than the guys we get most seasons. 

TJ Yeldon, Sony Michel, De'Andre Swift, Kenyan Drake... I bet all of those guys would've been deadly for us. And better than Roc Thomas, Peyton Barber, Kam Pettway, Malik Miller, Devan Barrett, Boobie Whitlow...

2 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

No, I said Tre was the 5th back taken

My bad.

3 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

Didn't realize Quizz Rodgers was on the bubble at TB ...You can say that Barber is "likely" to win the job but you're in the minority.

Not me saying anything. Just saying what I've seen reported the last couple months. Also I never said nor implied he was likely to win the job. I just said he would likely start the season as RB1. Didn't not give an opinion beyond game 1.

Also didn't say Quizz was on the bubble as a RB. He's likely RB3, not necessarily on a bubble. FWIW PB had double the work Quizz had last year & much more the last half of the season. After game 3 Quizz highest carry total was 8 1 time, then 3 4 times, 1 4 times, & no carries 4 times. After a slow start Barber had more carries the last 5 games at 78 (15.6 per game) than Rogers did the entire season.

17 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

So one detail off: Barber is not RB3 at TB. He is likely RB2. Since you're keeping score. 

2. CAP is at best RB3 as I edited in my above post.

I wasn't being confrontational. Not sure where the attitude in your post comes from. Regardless I apologize for getting you riled up.

16 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

I agree with this. I'm not saying that we need a guy who matches those guys in terms of metrics or "style". I'm saying that we need to hit on the guys at the top of our board, who tend to both fit our offense and be better than the guys we get most seasons. 

TJ Yeldon, Sony Michel, De'Andre Swift, Kenyan Drake... I bet all of those guys would've been deadly for us. And better than Roc Thomas, Peyton Barber, Kam Pettway, Malik Miller, Devan Barrett, Boobie Whitlow...

FWIW I don't think Swift or Drake was near the top of our board. The top of our board misses have typically been the bell cow types like Sanders & Emery this year, Zamir & Lingard in 2018, NaJee & Akers in 2017, Feaster in 2016, & Jaquez Patrick in 2015.

The 2 you mentioned who were likely not the top of our board speaks to Bird's statement we have to do better at RB evals.

36 minutes ago, ellitor said:

FWIW I don't think Swift or Drake was near the top of our board. The top of our board misses have typically been the bell cow types like Sanders & Emery this year, Zamir & Lingard in 2018, NaJee & Akers in 2017, Feaster in 2016, & Jaquez Patrick in 2015.

The 2 you mentioned who were likely not the top of our board speaks to Bird's statement we have to do better at RB evals.

Agreed on all. There was another guy who I thought we had at the top of the board last year whose name is somehow escaping me? Anyway, agreed with both of you. My point was that our rivals not only have NFL starting caliber RBs, but they have NFL RBs behind them, and they have guys who would fit our scheme better than most of our guys. 

50 minutes ago, ellitor said:

Not me saying anything. Just saying what I've seen reported the last couple months. Also I never said nor implied he was likely to win the job. I just said he would likely start the season as RB1. Didn't not give an opinion beyond game 1.

Starting the season at RB1 means he won the job. If he is not RB1 later in the season, it means he subsequently lost the job. And it means that he's not truly an RB1 caliber guy. It means the Bucs were desperate and left no choice but to give him carries, which has pretty much been the story of his career so far. I love the guy, but he's not going to be part of the sales pitch to the 5* RBs of the recruiting world. 

Also didn't say Quizz was on the bubble as a RB. 

I know. I was just saying that I didn't realize he's on the bubble because he is. I was acknowledging my mistake.

2. CAP is at best RB3 as I edited in my above post.

Not understanding this part.

I wasn't being confrontational. Not sure where the attitude in your post comes from. Regardless I apologize for getting you riled up.

I'm not riled up. But you should know by now that needless nitpicking isn't going to be met with positive results. 

Archived