2018-19 Leading Rusher

Zeek

2018-19 Leading Rusher Will Be...  

78 members have voted

1. 1. Who will be our leading rusher next season?

• Kam Martin
    • Malik Miller
    • Devan Barrett
    • Asa Martin
    • Jatarvious Whitlow
    • Other

Let's strike up some way too early discussion and see who we believe will be Auburn's leading rusher in the 2018-19 season!

Personally I believe that Chandler Cox will run the "Cox Cat" with his twirly feet for 2,000+ yards :Sing:

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Whitlow.

fwiw, I think we will be stunned this season by a MUCH larger percentage of passes on offense - not because Gus has had an epiphany but because stars are aligning for a POTENT 2018 passing attack AND we may not have a RB ready to be the tackle shreading every down warhorse. RB-by-committee (by necessity) is in the tea leaves right now. 

20 minutes ago, Zeek said:

Let's strike up some way too early discussion and see who we believe will be Auburn's leading rusher in the 2018-19 season!

Personally I believe that Chandler Cox will run the "Cox Cat" with his twirly feet for 2,000+ yards :Sing:

I move to convert all of Chandler Cox's rushing yards to twirly feets. Obviously with a 3 twirly feets to 1 yard conversion rate. 

17 minutes ago, Barnacle said:

If what we have been reading on this board is true, Whitlow should be in the running. 

Added him as an option, I've been so into recruiting I hadn't heard anything about Whitlow...

5 minutes ago, aucanucktiger said:

IMO we will not have a thousand yard rusher because of how much more passing we attempt/complete this season.

That has never happened at AU w Gus as OC or HC. He always rides one guy starting around Game 4. Even w Cam rushing for 1500+ yards, True Freshman Dyer still rushed for 1000+ not starting until Game 3.

I’ll be Whitlow or Asa.

First in for Asa. But really i have no clue. Going by the description Gus gave on early signing day.Noting his ability to protect from the position. I suspect that is why # 9 and # 5 and even Miller didn't play as much as fans wanted. SO i am going with Asa with hopes that Whitlow is a huge surprise because of his size.

1 minute ago, Scotty2Hotty said:

That has never happened at AU w Gus as OC or HC. He always rides one guy starting around Game 4. Even w Cam rushing for 1500+ yards, True Freshman Dyer still rushed for 1000+ not starting until Game 3.

I’ll be Whitlow or Asa.

That's right but see the rest of my post.

23 minutes ago, Scotty2Hotty said:

I’ll be Whitlow or Asa.

Yup, I'll never forget when Tre just barely broke 1,000 with the world's worst OL

Who's the best pass blocker and doesn't fumble?  That'll be your first clue.

Otherwise, I have no clue.

1 hour ago, Barnacle said:

If what we have been reading on this board is true, Whitlow should be in the running. 

I see what you did there. Subtle. I like it.

1 hour ago, alexava said:

First in for Asa. But really i have no clue. Going by the description Gus gave on early signing day.Noting his ability to protect from the position. I suspect that is why # 9 and # 5 and even Miller didn't play as much as fans wanted. SO i am going with Asa with hopes that Whitlow is a huge surprise because of his size.

Whitlow wouldn't be a huge surprise to all. I'm pretty much banking on him. 

1 hour ago, aucanucktiger said:

That's right but see the rest of my post.

Sure we might pass it a bit more but the HB Dive always has been and always will be Gus’ staple. 

Unless it’s a returning leading rusher, it always starts off as RBC and always transitions to one primary rusher by around Game 4.

Honest question here, not being a smart A.. I've only seen Whitlow mentioned on this board. Why are people expecting him to be the guy next year?  Size? Something coaches/players said? 

I just watched his tape and I guess I'm missing something.

42 minutes ago, atl-tiger said:

Honest question here, not being a smart A.. I've only seen Whitlow mentioned on this board. Why are people expecting him to be the guy next year?  Size? Something coaches/players said? 

Think I remember reading on here he was showing out in practice before he got hurt.

6 minutes ago, TAYLORKEETON said:

Think I remember reading on here he was showing out in practice before he got hurt.

I want to say I read on here he showed out in bowl game practice.

I'm going with Barrett because he showed real potential last season, and with Kam and Kerryon gone, he can get a lot more attention from the coaches to take that next step. Like everyone, I've heard great things about Whitlow, but until he sees the field, it's all just speculation. I think Kam Martin is going to remain a change of pace back. Asa will probably see similar action to what Barrett saw last year. Just because of his attitude, I would not at all be surprised to see Worm get some impressive carries, too.

1 hour ago, Deemer 47 said:

Would love to see what Harold Joiner can do. He is a big back also that is said to have great hands. The best pass blockers will be the ones playing the most though. 

Joiner's already come out and said he wants to win the Heisman. He may as well go ahead and get a jump start by having a stellar freshman season.:dunno:Not having seen Whitlow it's hard to pick him. K Mart gets my vote to start the season as the main guy. In my opinion a true freshmen will need to be pretty much excellent in pass protection to see meaningful playing time so I doubt they'll play early. Every year we have a guy step up and KJ surprised me last year so that's why I'm thinking K Mart. I think he's determined to show what he can do. 

9 minutes ago, milehighfan said:

I want to say I read on here he showed out in bowl game practice.

that's exactly right. 

One of the coaches (probably CL), mentioned Whitlow specifically as  a player that showed well, and caught their attention running at RB)...Don't know if it was speed, power, etc..that they liked how he ran...

Not sure what his injury was early in the year....

13 minutes ago, steeleagle said:

that's exactly right. 

One of the coaches (probably CL), mentioned Whitlow specifically as  a player that showed well, and caught their attention running at RB)...Don't know if it was speed, power, etc..that they liked how he ran...

Not sure what his injury was early in the year....

Ankle? I believe

11 minutes ago, atl-tiger said:

Same for me. I’m going by his size and comments from bowl practice. If he was a sure thing we would already be very aware of him. 

21 minutes ago, alexava said:

Same for me. I’m going by his size and comments from bowl practice. If he was a sure thing we would already be very aware of him. 

There was some board buzz about him from "insiders" before the bowl practice...then the coaches comments sort of justified it.  Maybe we'll know if the hype is real after A-Day.

I think DB wins the job. I just don't know if KM was the "want to" in pass protection. I want HJ to be the guy, I just like his size and the way runs. FWIW, I get the Tre Mason feel from Asa and DB, and the KP feel from HJ. Just one mans opinion. Also, Gus likes to reward his upperclassmen so I think KM will get the starter reps in the spring and it may slow the development of the younger guys a tick.

Archived