2018-19 Leading Rusher Will Be...  

78 members have voted

  1. 1. Who will be our leading rusher next season?

    • Kam Martin
      26
    • Malik Miller
      2
    • Devan Barrett
      17
    • Asa Martin
      7
    • Jatarvious Whitlow
      24
    • Other
      2


Recommended Posts

Pettway went down in September. We had all season for Barrett to get ready/earn trust and he/we didn't do it. We still gave all the carries to KJ. Pretty much the same on KMart, and he's been here awhile now. I just don't see the optimism for either of them becoming the guy. I like AMart's and Shivers's chances better. But my money's still on Whitlow. 

Man. I don't think Malik Miller's name has even been mentioned in this thread. That's rough. If he has a great offseason, he might make it back. 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites




31 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

Pettway went down in September. We had all season for Barrett to get ready/earn trust and he/we didn't do it. We still gave all the carries to KJ. Pretty much the same on KMart, and he's been here awhile now. I just don't see the optimism for either of them becoming the guy. I like AMart's and Shivers's chances better. But my money's still on Whitlow. 

Man. I don't think Malik Miller's name has even been mentioned in this thread. That's rough. If he has a great offseason, he might make it back. 

I think you are overthinking the number of carries Barrett had last year. He had the traditional amount of playing time that you usually see from a true freshman not named Michael Dyer in Gus's offense. Not only that, but he didn't cough the ball up like most true freshman have, which as we all know, gives him serious points in Gus's eyes. I expect to see him transition his sophomore year just like KJ did (from 52 carries in 2015 to 182 carries, with injuries, in 2016). Barrett had 76 carries last season and 10 receptions.

As for Miller... it's all speculation, but the buzz I've heard is that he just hasn't had the "it factor" since his injury and some blame a lack of attention given to injured players, especially those who aren't starters.

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, lionheartkc said:

I think you are overthinking the number of carries Barrett had last year. He had the traditional amount of playing time that you usually see from a true freshman not named Michael Dyer in Gus's offense. Not only that, but he didn't cough the ball up like most true freshman have, which as we all know, gives him serious points in Gus's eyes. I expect to see him transition his sophomore year just like KJ did (from 52 carries in 2015 to 182 carries, with injuries, in 2016). Barrett had 76 carries last season and 10 receptions.

That's the whole problem. He got the traditional number of carries even though a very non-traditional contribution was desperately needed. Either Gus and/or Horton screwed things up or Barrett didn't have the stuff they wanted. 

KJ was counted on in key moments as a true freshman. Look at the bowl game against Memphis. Sean had a couple of very bad series culminating in that pick 6 and they immediately went to KJ in the Wildcat to settle things down. We needed another running back down the stretch this past year and Barrett wasn't that guy. Nobody we had was.

Quote

As for Miller... it's all speculation, but the buzz I've heard is that he just hasn't had the "it factor" since his injury and some blame a lack of attention given to injured players, especially those who aren't starters.

That's what I've speculated, also. That's why I'm *hoping* that he can have a great offseason from a fitness perspective, which I don't think he had last offseason, and then start with a clean slate and get his mojo back starting in spring. He's capable of it. He's one of those guys who is capable of hitting the gym and transforming himself if motivated. He's pretty much responsible for getting himself down from 230-235ish to 210-215ish between his junior year in high school and freshman year at Auburn. He did it so quickly that people still thought he was going to be a fullback even after he was on campus. 

Okay, so I'm changing my pick to the dark horse. War Dam Malik!

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

He got the traditional number of carries even though a very non-traditional contribution was desperately needed.

Ah, but as you and many others have pointed out, Gus doesn't agree with that statement. Kerryon took a huge step this year as a total back and, agree with it or not, Gus wasn't going to sit him to play a freshman, even when he wasn't 100%, and when he did sit Kerryon, he played the guy with the next most experience. You might recall a conversation we had a year or so ago about QBs. Ever since Kiehl Frazier flamed out, Gus has been terrified of transitioning his main offensive weapons into the game too fast. That's just another of the things he needs to get past to become a top coach. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, lionheartkc said:

Ah, but as you and many others have pointed out, Gus doesn't agree with that statement. Kerryon took a huge step this year as a total back and, agree with it or not, Gus wasn't going to sit him to play a freshman, even when he wasn't 100%, and when he did sit Kerryon, he played the guy with the next most experience. You might recall a conversation we had a year or so ago about QBs. Ever since Kiehl Frazier flamed out, Gus has been terrified of transitioning his main offensive weapons into the game too fast. That's just another of the things he needs to get past to become a top coach. 

Okay. I already cited the Memphis bowl game of an example of Gus turning to the freshman when we needed a body. Not sure where else to go with it.

Hope Barrett surprises me. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
39 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

That's the whole problem. He got the traditional number of carries even though a very non-traditional contribution was desperately needed. Either Gus and/or Horton screwed things up or Barrett didn't have the stuff they wanted. 

KJ was counted on in key moments as a true freshman. Look at the bowl game against Memphis. Sean had a couple of very bad series culminating in that pick 6 and they immediately went to KJ in the Wildcat to settle things down. We needed another running back down the stretch this past year and Barrett wasn't that guy. Nobody we had was.

Get outta my head and write you're own thoughts dude!

aka: Good post.

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, lionheartkc said:

Ah, but as you and many others have pointed out, Gus doesn't agree with that statement. Kerryon took a huge step this year as a total back and, agree with it or not, Gus wasn't going to sit him to play a freshman, even when he wasn't 100%, and when he did sit Kerryon, he played the guy with the next most experience. You might recall a conversation we had a year or so ago about QBs. Ever since Kiehl Frazier flamed out, Gus has been terrified of transitioning his main offensive weapons into the game too fast. That's just another of the things he needs to get past to become a top coach. 

Therein lies the BIG IF.

Every running back on the 2017 roster was a highly rated phenom coming out of HS weren't they?

They overrated or underdeveloped?

Makes 2018 a big "?" unfortunately.

Guess this year we'll ALL be surprised one way or the other...

Edited by AUsince72
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

One other thing about freshmen... Iggy. Everybody around here constantly complained about KJ returning all the kicks these last couple years, even with all these electric playmakers on the roster. Suddenly it's a true freshman who finally takes that role.

First play of the '14 IB went to a true freshman.

Also, we haven't had a problem with freshmen getting on the field on defense.

We're about to trot out 2 true freshmen at both of our kicking spots. 

 

 

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
38 minutes ago, AUsince72 said:

Therein lies the BIG IF.

Every running back on the 2017 roster was a highly rated phenom coming out of HS weren't they?

They overrated or underdeveloped?

Makes 2018 a big "?" unfortunately.

Guess this year we'll ALL be surprised one way or the other...

Overrated, underdeveloped, -OR- bad fit.  Need more highly rated backs capable of punishment between the tackles.  The small squirmy backs are great, until you play the top SEC defenses that can be very punishing. 

Edited by AUDevil
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, AUDevil said:

Overrated, underdeveloped, -OR- bad fit.  Need more highly rated backs capable of punishment between the tackles.  The small squirmy backs are great, until you play the top SEC defenses that can be very punishing. 

I do not disagree.  Yes, that is certainly the 3rd potential failure of this staff.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
38 minutes ago, AUsince72 said:

Every running back on the 2017 roster was a highly rated phenom coming out of HS weren't they?

Not really...

Kerryon was... he was the #2 running back in his class, the #43 overall prospect and was just under a 5*

Barrett was a mid 4*, the #11 running back in his class and 168th overall prospect
Martin was a lower rated 4*, #7 running back in his class, but 278th overall prospect
Miller was a mid 3*, #23 running back in his class and 444th overall prospect
Pettway was also a mid 3*, #24 running back in his class and 391st overall prospect


 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, lionheartkc said:

Not really...

Kerryon was... he was the #2 running back in his class, the #43 overall prospect and was just under a 5*

Barrett was a mid 4*, the #11 running back in his class and 168th overall prospect
Martin was a lower rated 4*, #7 running back in his class, but 278th overall prospect
Miller was a mid 3*, #23 running back in his class and 444th overall prospect
Pettway was also a mid 3*, #24 running back in his class and 391st overall prospect


 

I'll grant you Miller & Pettway (although to be the #23 & #24 RB's in a nation of 50 states don't sound too bad to me :poke:) but two 4* backs within the top 11 in the nation is pretty high cotton.

Either way, I think @AUDevil  is onto something by stating AU is simply not recruiting the right TYPES of RB's.

Edited by AUsince72

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, AUsince72 said:

I'll grant you Miller & Pettway (although to be the #23 & #24 RB's in a nation of 50 states don't sound too bad to me :poke:) but two 4* backs within the top 11 in the nation's pretty high cotton.

Either way, I think @AUDevil  is onto something by stating AU is simply not recruiting the right TYPES of RB's.

I think you and Devil are right, to a point. A lot of it has to do with attrition and something that Gus appears to be learning (fingers crossed). He lands a go to guy and then recruits a supporting cast (change of pace backs) for that guys 3-4 years, not considering that his go to guy could leave, get hurt, whatever.  Jovon Robinson was the right fit for our offense... and we all know how that turned out. Kerryon was as well, and had he been able to stay healthy, who knows what would have happened.  

Gus appears to be learning at the QB spot that you need at least a solid #2 if not a #3. Hopefully he's seeing that more in the running back position. That's part of why I like the call of snagging Joiner this year. His versatility makes him someone that could provide quality depth, and also be of value elsewhere. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I think our current situation is ideal though. We have a huge group of potential studs, now who will develop.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, McLoofus said:

We're about to trot out 2 true freshmen at both of our kicking spots. 

1 true and 1 RS. :)

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, AUDevil said:

Overrated, underdeveloped, -OR- bad fit.  Need more highly rated backs capable of punishment between the tackles.  The small squirmy backs are great, until you play the top SEC defenses that can be very punishing. 

Unless we platoon 4 or 5  of them! 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 2/9/2018 at 10:50 AM, AUsince72 said:

I'll grant you Miller & Pettway (although to be the #23 & #24 RB's in a nation of 50 states don't sound too bad to me :poke:) but two 4* backs within the top 11 in the nation is pretty high cotton.

Either way, I think @AUDevil  is onto something by stating AU is simply not recruiting the right TYPES of RB's.

I think we are trying to recruit the right backs, but we are losing those recruiting battles. In this type of offense, I don't think we are going to be successful very often with top 25 RBs. We need guys in the top 6 to 8 at the position, and of those, the ones that fit our offense. That's what we face when we line up against out top in-conference rivals.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 2/9/2018 at 8:48 AM, lionheartkc said:

I think you are overthinking the number of carries Barrett had last year. He had the traditional amount of playing time that you usually see from a true freshman not named Michael Dyer in Gus's offense. Not only that, but he didn't cough the ball up like most true freshman have, which as we all know, gives him serious points in Gus's eyes. I expect to see him transition his sophomore year just like KJ did (from 52 carries in 2015 to 182 carries, with injuries, in 2016). Barrett had 76 carries last season and 10 receptions.

As for Miller... it's all speculation, but the buzz I've heard is that he just hasn't had the "it factor" since his injury and some blame a lack of attention given to injured players, especially those who aren't starters.

Woah, woah, woah, woah, woah. Barrett had 76 carries??? When did those happen? I would have lost $100 if you made me bet on that.

  • Like 2
  • Love 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Zeek said:

Woah, woah, woah, woah, woah. Barrett had 76 carries??? When did those happen? I would have lost $100 if you made me bet on that.

That's because he didn't. He had about 14 carriers and 70 something yards

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, Zeek said:

Woah, woah, woah, woah, woah. Barrett had 76 carries??? When did those happen? I would have lost $100 if you made me bet on that.

 

4 minutes ago, 80Tiger said:

That's because he didn't. He had about 14 carriers and 70 something yards

Kam Martin almost had 76. He had 74.

 

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
28 minutes ago, AUinfusion said:

I think we are trying to recruit the right backs, but we are losing those recruiting battles. In this type of offense, I don't think we are going to be successful very often with top 25 RBs. We need guys in the top 6 to 8 at the position, and of those, the ones that fit our offense. That's what we face when we line up against out top in-conference rivals.

Not arguing...just asking...

What about this "type of offense" would make a running back say "no thanks"?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23 minutes ago, Zeek said:

Woah, woah, woah, woah, woah. Barrett had 76 carries??? When did those happen? I would have lost $100 if you made me bet on that.

That, my friend is what you call chemo brain. I must have read yards when I was looking for carries. Mea culpa.

  • Facepalm 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now