Rank the Assistants

corchjay

On 2/8/2018 at 7:48 PM, corchjay said:

Rank the coaches in your opinion.

9. Burns - Average recruiter.  Average WR coach.  Project coach.  Seems to have taken a step this past year.  

10. Woodson - TBD for me.  I don't know enough or seen enough yet.  Hopefully he can pick up a few things from Brown.  

You’re not giving Burns enough credit for two wr classes that we did well....

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 minutes ago, Allen_D said:

Average isn't bad.  it's ummm average.  He has signed 1 WR in the top 20 at his position in 2 years.  There are 40-50 4 star WRs every year.  Look at it the other way.  Horton which everyone seems to think has been doing a bad job.  Had 2 Running backs ranked in the Top 10 at their positions and 1 all purpose back in the top 10 this year.

10 hours ago, Allen_D said:

Burns has had a lot of help the past couple years. That's not saying he isn't learning and doing well, but it's not all on his own right now.

For The Product on the field:

The top 6 all are good.

Steele

Brown

Grimes

Garner - D Ends still get burned too often on the corners

T-Will - Neck and Neck with Rodney

Horton

Lindsay

Burns - I've got stories

Porter - Do we have tight-ends?

Malzahn - He worked with Special Teams last year...they were 'special'...

I think all of the D staff have earned their pay relatively, they still are not anywhere close to being elite or even very good, just simply better than we have had since 2008.  On the O side of the ball the the only two I would have on the O staff are Horton and Lindsey (only because he has only been on the staff for one season).  All of the rest are easily expendable and should be replaced.  I know Grimes was just rehired as a retread and he is an upgrade over Hand on the field, he still should have never been hired.  Gus is included in the O staff.  

wde

Kodi Burns finally got some recognition for his recruiting this year by Rivals! Top five I believe!! Go CKB

I can’t keep silent any longer. Brown is #1!!! Not only was our secondary play very good (and much improved) this year but..... he is rocking it like no goober ever should!!! He is a goober on freakin’ steroids!!! Goober Brown is the man !!!

88FB3997-5564-48E2-A55F-FA5B97D60D4D.gif

P.S. The above was tongue-in-cheek for my man @GwillMac6. I thought Brown did a great job with the secondary this year.

3 hours ago, fredst said:

I can’t keep silent any longer. Brown is #1!!! Not only was our secondary play very good (and much improved) this year but..... he is rocking it like no goober ever should!!! He is a goober on freakin’ steroids!!! Goober Brown is the man !!!

88FB3997-5564-48E2-A55F-FA5B97D60D4D.gif

P.S. The above was tongue-in-cheek for my man @GwillMac6. I thought Brown did a great job with the secondary this year.

hahahaahah this was perfect!!!! my favorite post ever by someone on AU family forum!!!! they need to move this post to the hall of fame!!! lol WOOOOO!!!!!!!!!

I am so tired of hearing about our lack of recruits. Please name me the game we lost this year because of lack of talent? Clemson was Gus’s normal crap show early on because he hasn’t decided what he wants to do . LSU was Gus’s decission to play prevent offense and defense once he got a lead. Championship game was do with - A. Playing a very tough schedule at the the end - B. Gus failing to play someone other than a hurt KJ in the game. And the bowl game was strictly attitude from coaches down that no one ( including most fans) cared about. Not once did I see AU on the field this year when they did not have the talent to play against their opponent . JMHO

5 hours ago, Eagle Eye 7 said:

I am so tired of hearing about our lack of recruits. Please name me the game we lost this year because of lack of talent? Clemson was Gus’s normal crap show early on because he hasn’t decided what he wants to do . LSU was Gus’s decission to play prevent offense and defense once he got a lead. Championship game was do with - A. Playing a very tough schedule at the the end - B. Gus failing to play someone other than a hurt KJ in the game. And the bowl game was strictly attitude from coaches down that no one ( including most fans) cared about. Not once did I see AU on the field this year when they did not have the talent to play against their opponent . JMHO

Truest post in this thread

6 hours ago, Eagle Eye 7 said:

I think you are missing the point at least some of the people are trying to make. AU has recruited very well since 2009, but, our two biggest rivals have out recruited us every one of those years and one or the other is always recruiting lights out. So, while we do have some solid talent, they have NFL talent 2, 3, even 4 men deep. Gus and whoever else on the staff is making recruiting decisions have made some mistakes. They seem to be learning from those mistakes, but they are mistakes none-the-less. Early on, we were frequently played by troll recruits, which often made it so we have no back-up plan... and speaking of back-up plans, we still have a tendency to put all of our eggs in one basket and then fail to close the deal, leaving us with lesser options late in the game. And we've already discussed our tendency to recruit to back-up a star player instead of adding more star players to the depth. That was a problem at QB and running back. Finally, our O-Line recruiting hasn't really paid dividends since Shon Coleman. 

So, if you think about it, the SEC Championship game could be chalked up to recruiting because we didn't have the depth to see the tough schedule through. The Clemson game can also be laid on recruiting, because we, once again, had to rebuild our offense and the coaches didn't have them ready to go in game 1. If we had the ridiculous depth our rivals have, neither of those things would be an issue.

All that to say, we do have room to improve in recruiting. We're not bad by any stretch of the imagination, but we also aren't keeping up with the Joneses. 

On 2/12/2018 at 4:16 PM, lionheartkc said:

I think you are missing the point at least some of the people are trying to make. AU has recruited very well since 2009, but, our two biggest rivals have out recruited us every one of those years and one or the other is always recruiting lights out. So, while we do have some solid talent, they have NFL talent 2, 3, even 4 men deep. Gus and whoever else on the staff is making recruiting decisions have made some mistakes. They seem to be learning from those mistakes, but they are mistakes none-the-less. Early on, we were frequently played by troll recruits, which often made it so we have no back-up plan... and speaking of back-up plans, we still have a tendency to put all of our eggs in one basket and then fail to close the deal, leaving us with lesser options late in the game. And we've already discussed our tendency to recruit to back-up a star player instead of adding more star players to the depth. That was a problem at QB and running back. Finally, our O-Line recruiting hasn't really paid dividends since Shon Coleman. 

So, if you think about it, the SEC Championship game could be chalked up to recruiting because we didn't have the depth to see the tough schedule through. The Clemson game can also be laid on recruiting, because we, once again, had to rebuild our offense and the coaches didn't have them ready to go in game 1. If we had the ridiculous depth our rivals have, neither of those things would be an issue.

All that to say, we do have room to improve in recruiting. We're not bad by any stretch of the imagination, but we also aren't keeping up with the Joneses. 

Not sure that UGA has out recruited us every year since 2009.  No doubt spuat has. Clemson has recruited worse than we have until this year I believe.  Coaching makes a big difference.

wde

On 2/8/2018 at 6:48 PM, corchjay said:

Rank the coaches in your opinion.

1. Garner - recruiting and development takes a back seat to no on on staff or across the country

2. Steele - His reputation is sterling and his scheme is solid.  Good recruiter.  Only complaint from me is not being more aggressive when teams start moving the ball sometimes.

3. Horton - Solid recruiting.  Production from his position is incredible and over the past 10-12 years his players are like a who's who for SEC running backs.  Some has to do with scheme.

4. Brown - Liability on the recruiting end but development is off the charts.  Carlton struggled in his sophomore year and becomes an All-American a year later under Brown.

5. Lindsay - Good recruiter good play caller good scheme.  It's hard to mesh 2 schemes together but he did a good job year 1.  It will get better also.  Want to see his QB development.

6. Grimes - Good solid OL coach.  Average recuiter

7. T-Will - Linebackers continue to improve.  Recruiting is improving I think.  Love the anticipation the LBs are playing with now.  Getting help from Steele is good for him

8. Porter - Good recruiter.  Still waiting on results.

9. Burns - Average recruiter.  Average WR coach.  Project coach.  Seems to have taken a step this past year.  

10. Woodson - TBD for me.  I don't know enough or seen enough yet.  Hopefully he can pick up a few things from Brown.  

1 - Steele. He is killing it as the DC. 

2 - Lindsay. Would have been 8-5 without him as the OC. 

3 - Garner. Still damn good. 

4 - T-Will. Best recruiter on the staff. Above average coach. 

5- Horton. Solid. 

6 - 10 are a toss up. Mix and match as you will. Would add that Porter killed it in recruiting this year. Didn't get the credit he should have. 

1 minute ago, WarDamnEagleWDE said:

5- Horton. Solid. 

6 - 10 are a toss up. Mix and match as you will. Would add that Porter killed it in recruiting this year. Didn't get the credit he should have. 

malzahn-smiling.jpg

5 minutes ago, WarDamnEagleWDE said:

5- Horton. Solid. 

You're the first person with any knowledge that I've seen not praising Brown. Are you comfortable elaborating?

Great list. Well thought out. Good job. 

I was going to go with a clapping .gif to show that I appreciate your positivity and praise for our coaches...but decided a happy Gus was the best choice.

Just now, lionheartkc said:

You're the first person with any knowledge that I've seen not praising Brown. Are you comfortable elaborating?

Good coach. But to be a top tier coach in the SEC, IMO, you have to be able to recruit. And he just isn't there. He's earned his place on the staff no doubt. 

Just now, AUDevil said:

I was going to go with a clapping .gif to show that I appreciate your positivity and praise for our coaches...but decided a happy Gus was the best choice.

The D staff is one of the best in the country. The D isn't costing us many if any games. 

17 hours ago, AUIH1 said:

Not sure that UGA has out recruited us every year since 2009.  No doubt spuat has. Clemson has recruited worse than we have until this year I believe.  Coaching makes a big difference.

wde

You're correct. I never intended to imply, no do I think I did that Clemson out recruits us. As far as Georgia, there were 4 years in that period that we out-recruited them... mostly bolstered by Championship appearances.  Prior to 2009, it wasn't even close. More often than not, they were in the single didgets while we were floating down around 20. Notice the alarming trend starting in 2016... We stayed within 2 places until then... the gap has widened every year since.

2009 – Auburn 23   | Georgia 3   | Alabama 3

2010 – Auburn 6   | Georgia 11   | Alabama 4

2011 – Auburn 5   | Georgia 7   | Alabama 1

2012 – Auburn 9   | Georgia 11   | Alabama 1

2013 – Auburn 10   | Georgia 12   | Alabama 1

2014 – Auburn 6   | Georgia 8   | Alabama 1

2015 – Auburn 8   | Georgia 6   | Alabama 1

2016 – Auburn 9   | Georgia 6   | Alabama 1

2017 – Auburn 9   | Georgia 3   | Alabama 1

2018 – Auburn 12   | Georgia 1   | Alabama 7

Another trend one might take from these numbers, our 2010 Championship was HUGE for our recruiting and the farther away from winning big we get, the worse our numbers get. Unlike other teams out there, we can't live off of reputation. We have to keep reminding the big time players that we can compete with the big names.  Of course, it can also be related to "hot seat" talk, as our numbers tend to improve when we switch coaches and then slowly drop off as our opponents can ramp up the "he won't be there" talk.

10 minutes ago, WarDamnEagleWDE said:

Good coach. But to be a top tier coach in the SEC, IMO, you have to be able to recruit. And he just isn't there. He's earned his place on the staff no doubt. 

Makes sense. Thanks.

From the outside, it looks like Gus is starting to focus on coaches who are really good at one thing or another (Porter, Grimes, Brown, maybe Woodson). It will be interesting to see if he can make that work.

2 minutes ago, lionheartkc said:

You're correct. I never intended to imply, no do I think I did that Clemson our recruits us. As far as Georgia, there were 4 years in that period that we out-recruited them... mostly bolstered by Championship appearances.  Prior to 2009, it wasn't even close. More often than not, they were in the single didgets while we were floating down around 20. Notice the alarming trend starting in 2016... We stayed within 2 places until then... the gap has widened every year since.

2009 – Auburn 23   | Georgia 3   | Alabama 3

2010 – Auburn 6   | Georgia 11   | Alabama 4

2011 – Auburn 5   | Georgia 7   | Alabama 1

2012 – Auburn 9   | Georgia 11   | Alabama 1

2013 – Auburn 10   | Georgia 12   | Alabama 1

2014 – Auburn 6   | Georgia 8   | Alabama 1

2015 – Auburn 8   | Georgia 6   | Alabama 1

2016 – Auburn 9   | Georgia 6   | Alabama 1

2017 – Auburn 9   | Georgia 3   | Alabama 1

2018 – Auburn 12   | Georgia 1   | Alabama 7

Will say this about uga's recruiting. Either going to kill it the next few years or it's going to explode. 

Will say this about uga's recruiting. Either going to kill it the next few years or it's going to explode. 

Please, please let it be the latter.

On 2/8/2018 at 7:48 PM, corchjay said:

8. Porter - Good recruiter.  Still waiting on results.

Again. He landed 20% of our class mostly by himself including 4 4* kids. Not sure what else you want from a 1st year coach who is recruiting new territories where he doesn't have many already established relationships w/ the HS coaches in his territory.

Having T-Will at 7 is a joke. He is the best recruiter on staff & to this point has proven to be as good of a developer we have on staff. Should be no worse than #3 on anyone's list.

Archived