Rank the Assistants

corchjay

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply
30 minutes ago, ellitor said:

Again. He landed 20% of our class mostly by himself including 4 4* kids. Not sure what else you want from a 1st year coach who is recruiting new territories where he doesn't have many already established relationships w/ the HS coaches in his territory.

Having T-Will at 7 is a joke. He is the best recruiter on staff & to this point has proven to be as good of a developer we have on staff. Should be no worse than #3 on anyone's list.

Williams was 2nd on my list.

tenor.gif

19 minutes ago, bigbird said:

Steele

Garner

TWill

Lindsey

Brown

Porter

Woodson

Horton

Grimes

Burns

Why do you feel Burns is at the bottom of this list?  He had record break WRs this year and brought in an incredible class.  I respect your opinion and was just curious why you thought he was the worst on the staff.  If it is just a matter of someone has to be at the bottom then I get that too.

3 minutes ago, LKEEL75 said:

Why do you feel Burns is at the bottom of this list?  He had record break WRs this year and brought in an incredible class.  I respect your opinion and was just curious why you thought he was the worst on the staff.  If it is just a matter of someone has to be at the bottom then I get that too.

Not to step on Bird's answer, but one thing to consider with ranking the coaches is that someone has to be last. It doesn't mean they did a bad job, just that they were out done by the others.

Just now, lionheartkc said:

Not to step on Bird's answer, but one thing to consider with ranking the coaches is that someone has to be last. It doesn't mean they did a bad job, just that they were out done by the others.

If that is all it is then I get that.  Just wondering if @bigbird had some other reason.

8 minutes ago, LKEEL75 said:

If that is all it is then I get that.  Just wondering if @bigbird had some other reason.

To me, Burns isn't there yet. He had a lot of help on the recruiting front and our receivers we're very inconsistent both in route running and catching. I think all of that lends itself to being out done by others either in the field or on the trail.

21 minutes ago, bigbird said:

To me, Burns isn't there yet. He had a lot of help on the recruiting front and our receivers we're very inconsistent both in route running and catching. I think all of that lends itself to being out done by others either in the field or on the trail.

Follow-up question. Since you are a DB guy and probably know more about him than most around here, tell us what excites you enough about Woodson to rank him above Horton, Grimes, and Burns.  Details, please, so we can all get excited about him :)

I’m not saying that recruiting stars are completely worthless but you are taking opinions from sportswriters that don’t coach D1 football. They mostly base their opinions on what offers players get. That said if you really think

their is a great deal of difference between any of the top 15 classes then you just are not paying attention. Some positions draw low marks, kickers , OGs and TEs for example. Doesn’t help your position with the ranking but sure won’t win ballgames without them. Also passpro QBs and OTs get more stars but I don’t think they would fit in our offense. So any team getting top 15 classes definitely have the talent to win in college football.

6 hours ago, ellitor said:

Again. He landed 20% of our class mostly by himself including 4 4* kids. Not sure what else you want from a 1st year coach who is recruiting new territories where he doesn't have many already established relationships w/ the HS coaches in his territory.

Having T-Will at 7 is a joke. He is the best recruiter on staff & to this point has proven to be as good of a developer we have on staff. Should be no worse than #3 on anyone's list.

I can't have my own opinion?  I have to share the same opinion of you?  nah

Maybe he will be everything we want him to be but development at his position we have not seen this year.  Actually Cox may have improved slightly and Harris appeared to get a little worse in blocking.  Recruiting is very important but you also have to have development.  Something we have heard over and over on this board about QB play.  4 star kids are now the standard for AU not the exception.  So by meeting the standard of what we are supposed to praise him for.  Plus his areas are littered with talent.  Just would like to see results before we base everything off recruiting.  

T-will gets as much help as any coach on the staff.  So don't come with the all the development is because of T-Will.  Steele made his job much easier simplifying the defense.  Plus when I see improvement on shallow crossing routes and pick plays I'll start praising the development.  Tell me again who missed the tackle in the Clemson game to allow the QB to score on the QB run?  Who got out of position on the swift run in the SEC championship game?  Who got out flanked against bama to start the 3rd qtr on the mulitple runs to the left.  Trust me I love T-will and definitely give him credit where credit is due.  

Archived