Class superlatives

bigbird

5 hours ago, bigbird said:

Now safety on the other hand...

Aren't you happy with the three we signed this time? I'll admit, they'll have to grow up fast but two of them are early enrolees and already on campus. If nothing else, it appears that the corner was turned in recruiting of safeties.

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply
21 minutes ago, Mikey said:

Aren't you happy with the three we signed this time? I'll admit, they'll have to grow up fast but two of them are early enrolees and already on campus. If nothing else, it appears that the corner was turned in recruiting of safeties.

Very happy, however How many true safeties do we have on the roster?

13 minutes ago, bigbird said:

Very happy, however How many true safeties do we have on the roster?

At least a start in the right direction has been made at safety. LB play had to suck for five years before anybody paid attention.

2 hours ago, Mikey said:

At least a start in the right direction has been made at safety. LB play had to suck for five years before anybody paid attention.

Seems longer than that. 

:big:

On 2/12/2018 at 3:03 PM, AUld fAUx@ said:

We kicker groupies don't mind company.

No.

I think they're talking about football players.:big:

On 2/9/2018 at 7:27 AM, bigbird said:

https://auburn.247sports.com/Article/The-Neebies-Auburn-Tigers-recruiting-class-superlatives-114863845

The Neebies: Class superlatives

Title/Alt TextQuindarious Monday had a big season and is a big pickup for Auburn. (Photo: Keith Niebuhr, 247Sports)

As we look at the 2017 Auburn recruiting class, I hand out some awards based on personal observations throughout the recruiting cycle. Welcome to the fifth annual edition of The Neebies ...

FASTEST

Anthony Schwartz, WR: This was easy. Schwartz is, as Tigers coach Gus Malzahn put it, "the fastest recruit in the country." He's right. The Florida standout has a top 100-meters time of 10.15 seconds, which puts him in the elite category.

BEST HANDS

Shedrick Jackson, WR: Tough call. So many good receivers in the class, plus running back Asa Martin is solid here, too. But having Jackson in action, I'll give him the nod. His concentration level is extremely high, particularly on passes deep down the field and over the shoulder.

STRONGEST

Coynis Miller, DT: He had the best power ball throw in the country at any Opening Regional last year. And that mostly is from natural strength. Wait until he has a year or two in the weight-training program at Auburn.

UNDER THE RADAR

Michael Harris, LB: You'd think it would be hard to say this about a 4-star recruit, but Harris probably hasn't gotten nearly as much attention as he deserved. I don't believe in taking shots at recruiting rankings and I won't start now, but I wouldn't be shocked if Harris is more productive in college than many of the recruits in Georgia rated above him. Honorable mention: Daquan Newkirk, DT.

BEST IN SPACE

Shaun Shivers, APB: The speedy Shivers isn't just a burner (he'll run track at Auburn), he's tiny, has good vision and excellent one-cut abililty. Add it up and he's awfully difficult to corral.

BEST LEADER

Quindarious Monday, S: More than anything Monday is someone other players like being around.

BIGGEST HITTER

Michael Harris, LB: He runs over people and through people. Harris uses his body as a weapon much of the time. As much punch as he packs now, it will be interesting to see what he does with another 25 pounds on his frame.

MOST PHYICAL

Quindarious Monday, S: We also could have gone with Harris in this category, but we chose Monday, who desite being wiry isn't afraid to get after it at the point of attack, the line of scrimmage with a receiver or when making a tackle.

BEST ACCELERATION

Anthony Schwartz, WR: When Schwartz hits the gas pedal, his acceleration is off the charts. You really have to see it in person to believe it. You're talking about world-class jets. This class has a ton of speed, but another one whose acceleration caught my eye was linebacker signee Josh Marsh.

MOST HEART

Shaun Shivers, APB: He's 5-foot-nothing. He's well south of 200 pounds. And yet, "Worm" as they call him became a bit of a legend down in south Florida. Yes, he's fast. But you don't have the type of success he had without having something unique inside.

MOST RELENTLESS

Michael Harris, LB: This guy gets after it. Every game. Every quater. Every series. Every snap. Every second of every play.

MOST VERSATILE

Matthew Hill, WR; Seth Williams, WR; Quindarious Monday, S: What these three players did on both sides of the ball -- and on special teams -- in high school was special. That versatility should serve them well at Auburn.

MOST FOCUSED

Shedrick Jackson, WR; Jamien Sherwood, S: These two might be the most mature members of the 2018 class. To say the least, they are locked in on their goals. And guess what -- they happen to be roommates.

GAMER

Asa Martin, RB: Need a play? A big run? A key third-down conversion? A big catch? A decoy? Help on defense? Martin rose to the occasioneach and every week and that's why he was the Gatorade Player of the Year in Alabama.

IT FACTOR

Matthew Hill, WR: He's a big play waiting to happen.

MOST ATHLETIC

Seth Williams, WR; Richard Jibunor, Buck LB: Williams is a physical freak. Probably could play any of three sports (football, basketball and track) in college. Jibunor is just a natural ball of talent.

MOST NATURALLY GIFTED

Joey Gatewood, QB: Gatewood is such a great athlete, there are some who think he would have been the No. 1 tight end in the country in the 2018 class had he played that position. Big men don't typically move the way he does. He's a special talent, albeit raw in many ways. Harold Joiner was another I thought of for this category.

BEST TO GO TO BATTLE WITH

Michael Harris, LB; Quindarious Monday, S; Jamien Sherwood, S: The will to win is strong in these ones.

MOST UNASSUMING

Jamien Sherwood, S: You'll often see Sherwood walking through campus with a hoodie on ... or in the athletic complex sitting off to the side alone. He's intelligent. Quiet. And, as I said, focused. On the field, he's a terror.

MOST INSTINCTIVE

Jamien Sherwood, S: He reads a play and finds the ball as well as anyone in the class.

BEST BODY

Daquan Newkirk, DT; Kayode Oladele, DE, Joey Gatewood, QB: These are different-looking dudes for sure.

BEST NFL POTENTIAL

Daquan Newkirk, DT; Seth Williams, WR: The combination of 1. great pieces of clay; 2. great attitudes; 3. great ability -- makes me think we'll definitely see these two playing on Sundays.

SLEEPER

Arryn Siposs, P: The 25-year-old Aussie has game-changing potential, the Tigers believe. Runner-up to Kameron Stutts, OL; Caleb Johnson, DL.

MOST RAW

Richard Jibunor, Buck, LB; Kayode Oladele, DE: The two Nigerian natives are just scratching the surface. The ceilings are high. So are their athletic traits.

BEST INTERVIEW

Jalil Irvin, OL: Nobody in the class carries himself better. Smart. Thoughtful. Insightful.

FRIENDLIEST

Richard Jibunor, LB: The one recruit who always asks how each reporter is doing. Runner-up to Shedrick Jackson, WR.

FUNNIEST

Michael Harris, LB: He wore pajama pants with a peacoat to an Auburn game. Do I need to go on?

MOST SERIOUS

Jamien Sherwood, S: He isn't in college to waste time. His or his coaches.

THE BUZZ WILL COME LATER

Richard Jibunor, LB: As he continues to learn the game, gain weight and get stronger, Jibunor has the physical traits and determination that should allow him to shine in 2019 and beyond.

MOST HUMBLE

Asa Martin, RB: Despite all the numbers and all the hype, you never see him beating his chest or acting like he's better than anyone. About the ranking of his many of you didn't like? Didn't phase him a bit.

BEST RECRUITER

Shaun Shivers, APB: The word is, he ran the group chat among prospects -- after first starting it. Nobody worked harder for the staff.

ONE TO PULL FOR

Christian Tutt, CB: Tutt lost his brother in a car accident when he was high school. That was his best friend and the person he most looked up to.

Think Keith is a Michael Harris fan. 

On ‎2‎/‎9‎/‎2018 at 9:32 AM, lionheartkc said:

I can just see @Momma Worm beaming when she reads this.

Lol... thank you. Again its very interesting to read people's opinion of him. I cant wait until he shows the non believers of the SEC and Auburn what he is really about just like he did here at home. I always appreciate the support!

On 2/13/2018 at 8:49 PM, AUGoo said:

:big:

No.

I think they're talking about football players.:big:

Emphases mine.

Asa Martin really is a stud. I'll be surprised if the Whitlow hype really stays and AM doesn't get some decent playing time. Running Back is going to be a battle to start this year and I bet we see some transfers.

21 minutes ago, Zeek said:

Asa Martin really is a stud. I'll be surprised if the Whitlow hype really stays and AM doesn't get some decent playing time. Running Back is going to be a battle to start this year and I bet we see some transfers.

I don't know about transfers. With the abuse running backs take, everyone always seems to get their opportunity if they earn it. The only transfer I see is Miller, if he can't get back to form, and then it would be to a mid-major or something like that. From the little I've heard (sorry, keesler, read... I know how much it means to you that I'm precise about that) about him, I don't believe he's the type to give up.

On 2/9/2018 at 3:22 PM, lionheartkc said:

Don't forget, Iggy was a track star too. We are not lacking in speed on kick returns... we're lacking in blocking.

Ain't that the truth.

I like what was said about Jamien Sherwood. "He's not in college to waste time, his or his coaches. Seems to have a firm grasp on why he's at Auburn. I can't wait to see just what kind of impact he will have on this team. :wareagle:

Looks like Dinson will be at safety and Peters at Nickel. How do you feel about this @bigbird? I don't want Dinson there but is it something we'd have to do to start off with or do you think Sherwood and Smoke will hold down the fort?

Is it just me, or did anyone else feel like the writer has some sort of man crush on Michael Harris? Don't get me wrong, I'm not knocking Harris AT ALL, but seeing him pop up so much caught my attention. 

Either Harris is going to be all world for us, man cush engaged (for the writer,) or both, lol

7 hours ago, WFE12 said:

Looks like Dinson will be at safety and Peters at Nickel. How do you feel about this @bigbird? I don't want Dinson there but is it something we'd have to do to start off with or do you think Sherwood and Smoke will hold down the fort?

That all depends on how well they transition, but no matter how good they pick things up they will still be true freshman. Having some seniority back there with Dinson should mitigate things slightly. No matter what though, we will have a lot more mistakes back there this year. I am very happy though having Brown back there teaching them. He will elevate there play substantially.

2 hours ago, bigbird said:

That all depends on how well they transition, but no matter how good they pick things up they will still be true freshman. Having some seniority back there with Dinson should mitigate things slightly. No matter what though, we will have a lot more mistakes back there this year. I am very happy though having Brown back there teaching them. He will elevate there play substantially.

Yeah if we had to get two freshman safeties I say we were fortunate to get the ones we got. Both seem to be guys that can play above their classification or at least not have as much freshman mistakes. I thought Woodson was gonna coach the safeties?

19 hours ago, Auburn2Eugene said:

Is it just me, or did anyone else feel like the writer has some sort of man crush on Michael Harris? Don't get me wrong, I'm not knocking Harris AT ALL, but seeing him pop up so much caught my attention. 

Either Harris is going to be all world for us, man cush engaged (for the writer,) or both, lol

All the fear mongers keep saying that UGA got everyone they wanted. Harris is one proof that disproves that claim. He was a definite take for UGA and any number of other teams. The DullDawgs didn't give up on him until he'd faxed his signed letter in to Auburn. There's a good chance that the writer is correct, "crush" or not. The list of schools that had sincere offers out to Harris indicates that the rating services had him under-rated, even though he was a composite 4*.

22 hours ago, Mikey said:

All the fear mongers keep saying that UGA got everyone they wanted. Harris is one proof that disproves that claim. He was a definite take for UGA and any number of other teams. The DullDawgs didn't give up on him until he'd faxed his signed letter in to Auburn. There's a good chance that the writer is correct, "crush" or not. The list of schools that had sincere offers out to Harris indicates that the rating services had him under-rated, even though he was a composite 4*.

I think Harris, or those evaluating Harris, suffer from early-commit-and-no-drama-itis. He was a *huge* get, but he committed and signed early and then we didn't hear another word about him. Definitely one of the gems of this class. 

Archived