Gowebb11

Jimbo Predicts #1 Class in 2019

Recommended Posts

https://www.seccountry.com/texas-am/jimbo-fisher-makes-bold-prediction-texas-will-top-2019-recruiting-class

I loveit when leaders set ambitious goals, have a strategic plan to attain them, and have the confidence to make them public. I wouldn’t mind seeing more of this from Gustavo.

  • Like 1
  • Love 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites




TAMU is going to be a problem and I'm not looking forward to it at all. At best we can hope that they just replace LSU in the power triangle in the SECW because I don't see Orgeron keeping LSU where Les Miles had them

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

They're going to need an infusion of talent on the defensive side of the ball. They've always been able to score points, but they haven't had a defense that could help them make a run at the west.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Gowebb11 said:

https://www.seccountry.com/texas-am/jimbo-fisher-makes-bold-prediction-texas-will-top-2019-recruiting-class

I loveit when leaders set ambitious goals, have a strategic plan to attain them, and have the confidence to make them public. I wouldn’t mind seeing more of this from Gustavo.

Gustavo has no problem doing this with his team or a certain player. He continually hypes his team in the spring and summer only to underperform in the fall. He also hyped Jeremy Johnson to laughable expectations compared to his actual ability.

I too wish Malzahn was more ambitious and relentless as a recruiter. Curtis Luper has been the only Auburn coach I’ve heard mention that he wants to win the recruiting national title. Consequently, we had top 5 classes when Luper was our recruiting coordinator.

  • Like 1
  • Love 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, Gowebb11 said:

https://www.seccountry.com/texas-am/jimbo-fisher-makes-bold-prediction-texas-will-top-2019-recruiting-class

I loveit when leaders set ambitious goals, have a strategic plan to attain them, and have the confidence to make them public. I wouldn’t mind seeing more of this from Gustavo.

i do believe Gus has set goals for Auburn to be a contending National Championship program....twice in his time at Auburn he has been right there. He does not lack ambition.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, PoetTiger said:

i do believe Gus has set goals for Auburn to be a contending National Championship program....twice in his time at Auburn he has been right there. He does not lack ambition.

Not trying to split hairs with you, but there is a big difference in a sweeping global statement like “We want to contend for national titles” and a specific, time-stamped goal like “We are going to have the nation’s number 1 recruiting class in 2019.” 

  • Love 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Gowebb11 said:

Not trying to split hairs with you, but there is a big difference in a sweeping global statement like “We want to contend for national titles” and a specific, time-stamped goal like “We are going to have the nation’s number 1 recruiting class in 2019.” 

True, but Gus's goal of being in contention for championships is something he has attained and can continue to attain. Jimbo's blather about the #1 class is pie in the sky. Texas, Oklahoma and OSU will be taking their share of those recruits he sees in his new state, he won't get them all. He was in a great place to recruit to at FSU, at a time when both Florida and Miami were on the downslide and he never had #1 there. I don't think he'll get the #1 class at College Station either. He'll do well, just as he did at FSU but #1 is something I don't think we'll see at "Alcatraz on the Brazos".

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Mikey said:

True, but Gus's goal of being in contention for championships is something he has attained and can continue to attain. Jimbo's blather about the #1 class is pie in the sky. Texas, Oklahoma and OSU will be taking their share of those recruits he sees in his new state, he won't get them all. He was in a great place to recruit to at FSU, at a time when both Florida and Miami were on the downslide and he never had #1 there. I don't think he'll get the #1 class at College Station either. He'll do well, just as he did at FSU but #1 is something I don't think we'll see at "Alcatraz on the Brazos".

Maybe, but I appreciate his willingness to proclaim a very specific goal for his team. He may not hit number 1, but I can guarantee he won't if it's not a goal. For what it's worth, they finished just 5 spots behind us after being 35th a few days ago, and they have the #6 class for 2019. 

  • Love 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 2/10/2018 at 12:39 AM, PoetTiger said:

i do believe Gus has set goals for Auburn to be a contending National Championship program....twice in his time at Auburn he has been right there. He does not lack ambition.

His ambition is probably fine, he just lacks the skill as a HC to put AU as a contending NC program on a consistent basis.

wde

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 hours ago, AUIH1 said:

His ambition is probably fine, he just lacks the skill as a HC to put AU as a contending NC program on a consistent basis.

wde

We've been there twice with Gus as a major contributor, three times if you count the near miss this past season. Who else, besides Meyer, Saban and Swinney have done that recently?

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
48 minutes ago, Mikey said:

We've been there twice with Gus as a major contributor, three times if you count the near miss this past season. Who else, besides Meyer, Saban and Swinney have done that recently?

Jimbo Fisher and Kirby Smart are on up there now if we are talking about key contributors. Believe Jimbo has one from 2003 as OC, won against us in 2013, and lost in the playoff the following year.

Edited by aujeff11
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, aujeff11 said:

Jimbo Fisher and Kirby Smart are on up there now if we are talking about key contributors. Believe Jimbo has one from 2003 as OC, won against us in 2013, and lost in the playoff the following year.

And it's looking more and more like Kirby was a bigger contributor to his trips to the National Championship as a coordinator than people originally gave him credit for.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 2/9/2018 at 12:04 PM, Gowebb11 said:

https://www.seccountry.com/texas-am/jimbo-fisher-makes-bold-prediction-texas-will-top-2019-recruiting-class

I loveit when leaders set ambitious goals, have a strategic plan to attain them, and have the confidence to make them public. I wouldn’t mind seeing more of this from Gustavo.

Ya think.  Killer instinct.  Alpha Male.  Confident. Leader.  Kirby flat out told folks UGA was going to be in that game or the conversation every year.  Not we hope to be, or if everything goes right.  

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Mikey said:

We've been there twice with Gus as a major contributor, three times if you count the near miss this past season. Who else, besides Meyer, Saban and Swinney have done that recently?

Near miss this season.  I love beating UGA and Bama as much as anyone and in the same year it is awesome.  In the end, not even winning the SEC and getting curb stomped in UGA part 2  and skulled drilled by UCF left Auburn nowhere close to a near miss.  A near miss would have been beating Clemson and LSU and slapping Mercer, GA Southern, and La Monroe around like they stole from us.  I will give credit where credit is due and say that Gus did a fine job in 2013 as the head coach.  It just has not carried momentum for Auburn like it has done for other programs like Clemson. 

  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Facepalm 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 2/9/2018 at 11:04 AM, Gowebb11 said:

https://www.seccountry.com/texas-am/jimbo-fisher-makes-bold-prediction-texas-will-top-2019-recruiting-class

I loveit when leaders set ambitious goals, have a strategic plan to attain them, and have the confidence to make them public. I wouldn’t mind seeing more of this from Gustavo.

It is no secret I love me some jimbo. I think he is the type of personality and great recruiter we need in a head coach to get us consistently in to top 5 classes instead of just top 10. He rubs a lot of people the wrong way but I prefer that to Gus who is albeit the better human  being and nice guy no doubt but is a inferior coach, qb developer and play caller to jimbo.  Gus is good. sometimes real good. But I think Jimbo is great at all the stuff I named. Jimbo is going to be a pain in our butt for years. He is a great recruiter himself and has D craig and Tim Brewster on his staff 2 of the 10 best recruiters pound for pound in all of college football. I really hope like someone said above that TAMU just replaces LSU as one of the dominant teams. If LSU is good as well then that makes winning the west a almost impossible task.

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now