Texas A&M Recruiting

Gowebb11

https://www.seccountry.com/texas-am/jimbo-fisher-makes-bold-prediction-texas-will-top-2019-recruiting-class

I loveit when leaders set ambitious goals, have a strategic plan to attain them, and have the confidence to make them public. I wouldn’t mind seeing more of this from Gustavo.

TAMU is going to be a problem and I'm not looking forward to it at all. At best we can hope that they just replace LSU in the power triangle in the SECW because I don't see Orgeron keeping LSU where Les Miles had them

They're going to need an infusion of talent on the defensive side of the ball. They've always been able to score points, but they haven't had a defense that could help them make a run at the west.

5 hours ago, Gowebb11 said:

https://www.seccountry.com/texas-am/jimbo-fisher-makes-bold-prediction-texas-will-top-2019-recruiting-class

I loveit when leaders set ambitious goals, have a strategic plan to attain them, and have the confidence to make them public. I wouldn’t mind seeing more of this from Gustavo.

Gustavo has no problem doing this with his team or a certain player. He continually hypes his team in the spring and summer only to underperform in the fall. He also hyped Jeremy Johnson to laughable expectations compared to his actual ability.

I too wish Malzahn was more ambitious and relentless as a recruiter. Curtis Luper has been the only Auburn coach I’ve heard mention that he wants to win the recruiting national title. Consequently, we had top 5 classes when Luper was our recruiting coordinator.

12 hours ago, Gowebb11 said:

i do believe Gus has set goals for Auburn to be a contending National Championship program....twice in his time at Auburn he has been right there. He does not lack ambition.

5 hours ago, PoetTiger said:

i do believe Gus has set goals for Auburn to be a contending National Championship program....twice in his time at Auburn he has been right there. He does not lack ambition.

Not trying to split hairs with you, but there is a big difference in a sweeping global statement like “We want to contend for national titles” and a specific, time-stamped goal like “We are going to have the nation’s number 1 recruiting class in 2019.” 

2 hours ago, Gowebb11 said:

Not trying to split hairs with you, but there is a big difference in a sweeping global statement like “We want to contend for national titles” and a specific, time-stamped goal like “We are going to have the nation’s number 1 recruiting class in 2019.” 

True, but Gus's goal of being in contention for championships is something he has attained and can continue to attain. Jimbo's blather about the #1 class is pie in the sky. Texas, Oklahoma and OSU will be taking their share of those recruits he sees in his new state, he won't get them all. He was in a great place to recruit to at FSU, at a time when both Florida and Miami were on the downslide and he never had #1 there. I don't think he'll get the #1 class at College Station either. He'll do well, just as he did at FSU but #1 is something I don't think we'll see at "Alcatraz on the Brazos".

2 hours ago, Mikey said:

True, but Gus's goal of being in contention for championships is something he has attained and can continue to attain. Jimbo's blather about the #1 class is pie in the sky. Texas, Oklahoma and OSU will be taking their share of those recruits he sees in his new state, he won't get them all. He was in a great place to recruit to at FSU, at a time when both Florida and Miami were on the downslide and he never had #1 there. I don't think he'll get the #1 class at College Station either. He'll do well, just as he did at FSU but #1 is something I don't think we'll see at "Alcatraz on the Brazos".

Maybe, but I appreciate his willingness to proclaim a very specific goal for his team. He may not hit number 1, but I can guarantee he won't if it's not a goal. For what it's worth, they finished just 5 spots behind us after being 35th a few days ago, and they have the #6 class for 2019. 

On 2/10/2018 at 12:39 AM, PoetTiger said:

His ambition is probably fine, he just lacks the skill as a HC to put AU as a contending NC program on a consistent basis.

wde

21 hours ago, AUIH1 said:

His ambition is probably fine, he just lacks the skill as a HC to put AU as a contending NC program on a consistent basis.

wde

We've been there twice with Gus as a major contributor, three times if you count the near miss this past season. Who else, besides Meyer, Saban and Swinney have done that recently?

48 minutes ago, Mikey said:

We've been there twice with Gus as a major contributor, three times if you count the near miss this past season. Who else, besides Meyer, Saban and Swinney have done that recently?

Jimbo Fisher and Kirby Smart are on up there now if we are talking about key contributors. Believe Jimbo has one from 2003 as OC, won against us in 2013, and lost in the playoff the following year.

14 minutes ago, aujeff11 said:

Jimbo Fisher and Kirby Smart are on up there now if we are talking about key contributors. Believe Jimbo has one from 2003 as OC, won against us in 2013, and lost in the playoff the following year.

And it's looking more and more like Kirby was a bigger contributor to his trips to the National Championship as a coordinator than people originally gave him credit for.

On 2/9/2018 at 12:04 PM, Gowebb11 said:

Ya think.  Killer instinct.  Alpha Male.  Confident. Leader.  Kirby flat out told folks UGA was going to be in that game or the conversation every year.  Not we hope to be, or if everything goes right.  

2 hours ago, Mikey said:

Near miss this season.  I love beating UGA and Bama as much as anyone and in the same year it is awesome.  In the end, not even winning the SEC and getting curb stomped in UGA part 2  and skulled drilled by UCF left Auburn nowhere close to a near miss.  A near miss would have been beating Clemson and LSU and slapping Mercer, GA Southern, and La Monroe around like they stole from us.  I will give credit where credit is due and say that Gus did a fine job in 2013 as the head coach.  It just has not carried momentum for Auburn like it has done for other programs like Clemson. 

On 2/9/2018 at 11:04 AM, Gowebb11 said:

It is no secret I love me some jimbo. I think he is the type of personality and great recruiter we need in a head coach to get us consistently in to top 5 classes instead of just top 10. He rubs a lot of people the wrong way but I prefer that to Gus who is albeit the better human  being and nice guy no doubt but is a inferior coach, qb developer and play caller to jimbo.  Gus is good. sometimes real good. But I think Jimbo is great at all the stuff I named. Jimbo is going to be a pain in our butt for years. He is a great recruiter himself and has D craig and Tim Brewster on his staff 2 of the 10 best recruiters pound for pound in all of college football. I really hope like someone said above that TAMU just replaces LSU as one of the dominant teams. If LSU is good as well then that makes winning the west a almost impossible task.

• 2 weeks later...

• 2 weeks later...

Jimbo getting a $95 million contract....guess he needs to talk the talk right away to make it seem like his AD did not go crazy with that guaranteed deal.  So why not make all of these promises?   JMO but it is all BS and he is no different than any other coach..... except it is possible that he won't have the local police department covering up for the misdeeds of his delinquents.  Let him yack....means nothing.

JMO but despite the fact this is located under Rivals Recruiting.....by the end of the opening post, it had become just another thread with the goal of finding something to pick on Gus about.....and wonder of all wonders.....the usual suspects jump at the bait and are all over it.

Hoping the mods will move this to Auburn Recruiting where it seems to belong with the dozen or so other topics slamming Gus.

23 minutes ago, AU64 said:

Jimbo getting a $95 million contract....guess he needs to talk the talk right away to make it seem like his AD did not go crazy with that guaranteed deal.  So why not make all of these promises?   JMO but it is all BS and he is no different than any other coach..... except it is possible that he won't have the local police department covering up for the misdeeds of his delinquents.  Let him yack....means nothing.

JMO but despite the fact this is located under Rivals Recruiting.....by the end of the opening post, it had become just another thread with the goal of finding something to pick on Gus about.....and wonder of all wonders.....the usual suspects jump at the bait and are all over it.

Hoping the mods will move this to Auburn Recruiting where it seems to belong with the dozen or so other topics slamming Gus.

Gus gives us reasons for us to pick about. We are not rival fans who just pick on him for no reason. WE ARE AUBURN FANS!!! We want there to be nothing to pick at him about. TRUST ME!! NO ONE WANTS THAT MORE THAN US. If you want to see the "usual suspects" as you put it give a 100% backing and approval to a Auburn coach look no further than the AU basketball section!!!! WE LOVE US SOME BRUUUUUUUUUUUUUUCE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! And this thread has not been active for a long time. why did you randomly decide to comment on it and pick a argument with the "usual suspects"?

2 minutes ago, GwillMac6 said:

Gus gives us reasons for us to pick about. We are not rival fans who just pick on him for no reason. WE ARE AUBURN FANS!!! We want there to be nothing to pick at him about. TRUST ME!! NO ONE WANTS THAT MORE THAN US. If you want to see the "usual suspects" as you put it give a 100% backing and approval to a Auburn coach look no further than the AU basketball section!!!! WE LOVE US SOME BRUUUUUUUUUUUUUUCE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! And this thread has not been active for a long time. why did you randomly decide to comment on it and pick a argument with the "usual suspects"?

Nope.....saw something about Jimbo and thought I would see what it was about and well....big surprise it was someone complaining about Gus with some nonsense about whether he is competitive or what?   Auburn fans....really?   could have fooled me.     And as if the same people have not filled this site with the same kinds of comments for a couple years....

7 minutes ago, AU64 said:

Nope.....saw something about Jimbo and thought I would see what it was about and well....big surprise it was someone complaining about Gus with some nonsense about whether he is competitive or what?   Auburn fans....really?   could have fooled me.     And as if the same people have not filled this site with the same kinds of comments for a couple years....

Really you do not think we are fans just because we want Gus to be great which he has the potential to be but keeps getting in his own way? Gus is a great man. We want him to be a great coach as well. We complain because we care. Complaining in sports happens all the time. Even by the biggest of fans which we all here clearly are. This is nothing new. Want to see no complaining for a major Auburn sport?Want to see apathy? See the Tony Barbee years for basketball. No one gave a crap so there was no complaining when we were one of the worst programs in the whole country. 

1 hour ago, GwillMac6 said:

Really you do not think we are fans just because we want Gus to be great which he has the potential to be but keeps getting in his own way? Gus is a great man. We want him to be a great coach as well. We complain because we care. Complaining in sports happens all the time. Even by the biggest of fans which we all here clearly are. This is nothing new. Want to see no complaining for a major Auburn sport?Want to see apathy? See the Tony Barbee years for basketball. No one gave a crap so there was no complaining when we were one of the worst programs in the whole country. 

There was plenty of complaining about Barbee. Maybe you didn't care enough to visit the basketball forum. @AU64 is correct about this. The "we whine and take cheap shots at our coach because we care" junk is just that, junk. It's sounding more and more like people with an inferiority complex that are trying to make themselves look big by attempting to make someone else look small. Just look up-thread, there is nothing constructive there, just the usual whiners turning this into another "lets take a cheap shot at Gus" thread.

15 minutes ago, Mikey said:

There was plenty of complaining about Barbee. Maybe you didn't care enough to visit the basketball forum. @AU64 is correct about this. The "we whine and take cheap shots at our coach because we care" junk is just that, junk. It's sounding more and more like people with an inferiority complex that are trying to make themselves look big by attempting to make someone else look small. Just look up-thread, there is nothing constructive there, just the usual whiners turning this into another "lets take a cheap shot at Gus" thread.

Except that is the truth. Sorry not all of us can be constantly positive when sometimes there is absolutely no reason to be. Y'all 2 were even super positive after the LSU game I remember. That is just blindly following someone and being positive for no reason. Some of us just choose to be reactionary and react accordingly to what we see. After georgia and bama so many of us gladly ate so much crow. That is what true fans of a team do! They do not care about being right. WE care about what is best for Auburn. Sorry you can not see that. 

6 minutes ago, GwillMac6 said:

Except that is the truth. Sorry not all of us can be constantly positive when sometimes there is absolutely no reason to be. Y'all 2 were even super positive after the LSU game I remember. That is just blindly following someone and being positive for no reason. Some of us just choose to be reactionary and react accordingly to what we see. After georgia and bama so many of us gladly ate so much crow. That is what true fans of a team do! They do not care about being right. WE care about what is best for Auburn. Sorry you can not see that. 

I see way more mindless whining and griping than I see legitimate complaints. The whiners want what's best for Auburn if and only if Auburn does it the way the whiners want it done.

12 minutes ago, Mikey said:

I see way more mindless whining and griping than I see legitimate complaints. The whiners want what's best for Auburn if and only if Auburn does it the way the whiners want it done.

That is what happens when we lose. But more importantly HOW WE LOSE. That is the single most frustrating thing. That is where all those comments come from. I see nothing wrong with it when it is justified. You just never seem to think there needs to be any whining and complaining though. We just are never going to agree on this.

8 hours ago, GwillMac6 said:

That is what happens when we lose. But more importantly HOW WE LOSE. That is the single most frustrating thing. That is where all those comments come from. I see nothing wrong with it when it is justified. You just never seem to think there needs to be any whining and complaining though. We just are never going to agree on this.

The title of this thread is: "Jimbo predicts #1 class."  By the fourth post it was fully into another of the tiresome "bash of our coach" threads. When is enough enough? I'm fully convinced that the majority of such posters are trying to cope with their own feelings of inadequacy by putting others down. I believe that because the repetitive, senseless negativism has far exceeded any rational thought process and is clearly into the area of self-worth issues.

Archived