Softball vs. Furman

WarTiger

Great to see TanSnow get her bat unlimbered, and Perry start delivering what we all thought she could do.  I think her pinchrunner gig was the first time that Gutierrez has seen the field.  She looked very happy about it.  Also Bilodeau was back in uniform today.

I don't recall seeing McCrackin in the dugout the entire weekend.  There could be a lot of reasons.  Hope she is ok.  Always seems to be real supporter of her teammates and good versatile player.

1 hour ago, slot canyon said:

I don't recall seeing McCrackin in the dugout the entire weekend.  There could be a lot of reasons.  Hope she is ok.  Always seems to be real supporter of her teammates and good versatile player.

I was starting the chant at home "Release the McCrackin!" I love watching her play, but I guess that's why she didn't play. 

All in all some very positive things this weekend.  I knew pitching would be a focus, but didn't expect that good a start. These girls have nasty change ups. Justus is finding herself at the plate, which is the best scenario we were hoping for.  Taylon is a solid player.  I can see how she was so highly recruited.  Glad we have her.  Happy for Tannon to break free tonight. 

I also like how aggressive we are on the bases. I am sure we will run ourselves out of and inning here and there, but we aren't afraid to run anyone. I also like how Dean called the game at times situationally. Got the youngsters some play as well. 

13 hours ago, around4ever said:

If you have been watching the games on watch ESPN, what do you think of the analysis by Kasey Cooper?  I think she has done a very good job. She gives an insight that others can't give to the viewers.  

Kasey did an excellent job!  Wish she could do all of our games!

13 hours ago, slot canyon said:

McCrackin has the flu this weekend. I hope she is back soon! 

12 hours ago, AUBwins said:

All in all some very positive things this weekend.  I knew pitching would be a focus, but didn't expect that good a start. These girls have nasty change ups. Justus is finding herself at the plate, which is the best scenario we were hoping for.  Taylon is a solid player.  I can see how she was so highly recruited.  Glad we have her.  Happy for Tannon to break free tonight. 

I also like how aggressive we are on the bases. I am sure we will run ourselves out of and inning here and there, but we aren't afraid to run anyone. I also like how Dean called the game at times situationally. Got the youngsters some play as well. 

It's too early to look at stats, but I can't help myself.  After 6 games, the team BA is .345.  I don't think it ever hit that last year.  Draper heads the list at .538, with Perry at a blistering .533 and 1.000 slugging percentage.  Taylon is the third player at .500.  Crocker has justified her starting role at .412, with Shea and Podany at .364 and .300.  Slow starters include three who got their first hits yesterday; Rivera, Tannon and Veach are all at .200 or below.  I expect that to change for the better.

Saw that former AU pitcher Lexi Davis was in the dugout with Furman as a coach.   Happy to see her still in the game.  

Lexi was one of the first nationally recognized players signed by Auburn softball.....signed by Tina Deese just before Myers came.   Lexi stayed through the coaching change and was a work horse for AU her entire time at the school and she is well represented in the career stats for softball pitchers. 

1 hour ago, OlderWhiskey said:

It's too early to look at stats, but I can't help myself.  After 6 games, the team BA is .345.  I don't think it ever hit that last year.  Draper heads the list at .538, with Perry at a blistering .533 and 1.000 slugging percentage.  Taylon is the third player at .500.  Crocker has justified her starting role at .412, with Shea and Podany at .364 and .300.  Slow starters include three who got their first hits yesterday; Rivera, Tannon and Veach are all at .200 or below.  I expect that to change for the better.

Let's just hope those averages remain high [or get higher] after we are 3-4 weekends into conference play.

Podany hitting and getting on base bodes well for us down the road.  Great that we can flip the lineup WITHOUT using our slappers there.  That allows flexibility with Crocker behind Draper, then Taylon behind them to drive them home. I can easily see Taylon hitting .400 or better.  They will likely be singles and doubles but perfect for moving the speed on the bases. I didn't guess this lineup configuration but like the potential it holds.

3 hours ago, OlderWhiskey said:

That is not too bad considering it looked like a very slow start in the first games.  Hope the batting keeps up.

Also, was wondering about McCrackin, so glad to know it was the flu (and not other issues) that kept her out of the games.

As far as substitutes, Dowell saw some time at SS, Tissier caught an inning or two, Bree Fornis in CF and Jenna Olsewski in LF.  I did not see any other defensive substitutions.  Was thinking McCracken would come in for Crocker but never did, and the flu explains that.  I was glad to see that although Veach, Rivera and Tannon Snow were struggling at the plate in the Thursday/Friday games, glad he left them in to work through the slump.

Also, good to see Swindle and Harris get some time on the mound.  Harris has a nasty change-up.

7 hours ago, OlderWhiskey said:

Not bad for the first weekend. But, we all know the pitching gets tougher as the season progresses, especially when we get into conference play.  Great to see the improvement from Game 1 to Game 6 though. 

On 2/11/2018 at 2:36 PM, GBAU83 said:

That is not too bad considering it looked like a very slow start in the first games.  Hope the batting keeps up.

Also, was wondering about McCrackin, so glad to know it was the flu (and not other issues) that kept her out of the games.

As far as substitutes, Dowell saw some time at SS, Tissier caught an inning or two, Bree Fornis in CF and Jenna Olsewski in LF.  I did not see any other defensive substitutions.  Was thinking McCracken would come in for Crocker but never did, and the flu explains that.  I was glad to see that although Veach, Rivera and Tannon Snow were struggling at the plate in the Thursday/Friday games, glad he left them in to work through the slump.

Also, good to see Swindle and Harris get some time on the mound.  Harris has a nasty change-up.

I think we will see McCrackin and Crocker in our starting lineup regularly down the line.  I believe McCrackin is one of our best hitters and she was getting reps at 3rd I believe, so if she can play 3rd, that change will not surprise me.

Archived