Pettway is a mess

bigbird

https://www.cbssports.com/college-football/news/nfl-scout-kamryn-pettway-is-a-mess/
via http://cbssportsapp.com

NFL scout: Kamryn Pettway is a 'mess'

• By Brandon Marcello
  •  • 1 min read

6_7779231.JPG

(Photo: Michael Niziolek, 247Sports)

Kamryn Pettway's career at Auburn did not end with a bang.

The former All-SEC running back missed most of the 2016 season and is garnering bad reviews from an NFL scout and people inside the Auburn program, according to NFL.com.

Pettway, who played in a handful of games during his junior season, is described as "immature and unreliable by people inside the program," according to NFL.com's profile of Pettway.

"He's a mess," an AFC regional scout told NFL.com. "They were done with him over there and he's got too many character flags to be drafted. I thought he might be a late pick last year, but not anymore."

Pettway is in San Diego training for the NFL Combine. He left Auburn following his junior season that was wrecked because of a suspension, a foot/heel injury and a fractured shoulder blade. He jumped on the scene in 2016 as he moved from fullback to tailback following Gus Malzahn's decision to boot Jovon Robinson from the team in August. Pettway rushed for 1,224 yards in 10 games.

NFL.com projects him to go undrafted.

NFL Combine workouts begin March 2 in Indianapolis.

• Replies 262
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Just another example of how we need to take a deep look into how we handle long term injuries. Too many quality players are falling off the deep end while recovering from injuries. 

1 minute ago, lionheartkc said:

Just another example of how we need to take a deep look into how we handle long term injuries. Too many quality players are falling off the deep end while recovering from injuries. 

So what you're saying is, AU doctors need to quit prescribing weed to the injured players?

3 minutes ago, lionheartkc said:

I don’t think injuries are the problem. 

1 minute ago, AUsince72 said:

So what you're saying is, AU doctors need to quit prescribing weed to the injured players?

You can’t make this stuff up 

5 minutes ago, lionheartkc said:

I don't think this is Auburn's fault in any way. He had chances to straighten up while on the mend as well as when healthy. Some guys just don't get it. Opportunity squandered. I hope he can get back on track somehow and find quality in life. 

25 minutes ago, lionheartkc said:

Are you kidding me?

He certainly was a good one when he was healthy and had his head on straight.  I hate to see a young man with so much potential mess it up.  He would have been better served if he had cleaned up his act, come back and put up some great numbers in 2018.  The injuries weren’t his fault, of course, but obviously there was a lot of other stuff going on.  

3 minutes ago, jared52 said:

Also, let's not be too quick to judge a Brandon Marcello article about AU or it's players. He's got too much al.com in him.

I’ve shared that sentiment on some issue in the past, but this is more about him reporting what is factual, as opposed to a lot of the Bama stuff that gets swept under the rug. Like Mike Dyer, Duke Williams, Sean White, and several others before him, KP has made some choices that are going to limit him at best and prevent him at worst from reaching his lofty goals. Not Marcello’s Fault. 

17 minutes ago, bigbird said:

Are you kidding me?

No... I'm not. Maybe these kids came in with problems, maybe they didn't, but there was zero talk about issues with Sean or Kam prior to their injuries. Seems to me that we have players with a long term injuries getting bored, maybe depressed, and self-medicating and no one is keeping an eye on that until they try to come back to the field and it's already a big problem. It's not like drug use among the players is new territory for Auburn, it played a big part in blowing up the team in 2012. We should know how to deal with it productively. 

7 minutes ago, lionheartkc said:

No... I'm not. Maybe these kids came in with problems, maybe they didn't, but there was zero talk about issues with Sean or Kam prior to their injuries. 

There was certainly plenty of talk about both SW and KP. Might as well have been Spicoli and Ricky Williams

4 minutes ago, lionheartkc said:

No... I'm not. Maybe these kids came in with problems, maybe they didn't, but there was zero talk about issues with Sean or Kam prior to their injuries. Seems to me that we have players with a long term injuries getting bored, maybe depressed, and self-medicating and no one is keeping an eye on that until they try to come back to the field and it's already a big problem. It's not like drug use among the players is new territory for Auburn, it played a big part in blowing up the team in 2012. We should know how to deal with it productively. 

I suspect what AU has vs many (most?) programs is a head coach who actually puts a value on their personal accountability and who's willing to actually cut talented players from the team instead of sweeping their shenanigans under the rug because they can produce.

That is actually to Gus' credit, IMO.

1 minute ago, bigbird said:

There was certainly plenty of talk about both SW and KP. Might as well have been Spicoli and Ricky Williams

Really?  I never heard a peep about either prior to their injuries. 

Just now, AUsince72 said:

I suspect what AU has vs many (most?) programs is a head coach who actually puts a value on their personal accountability and who's willing to actually cut talented players from the team instead of sweeping their shenanigans under the rug because they can produce.

That is actually to Gus' credit, IMO.

I totally agree with that. My issue isn't with how Gus handles discipline. It's more with the training staff and how they handle injuries, rehab, etc. Maybe it's just a me thing, or the fact that it's one of the few parts of Auburn football that my wife cares to chime in on, since it's her field of expertise, but I have not been impressed. 

1 minute ago, lionheartkc said:

There was plenty of talk about both and Kyle Davis as well.  Is a coach going to come out and say print this in the paper to the reporters... nope.  

2 minutes ago, lionheartkc said:

That's how things are supposed to be.

3 minutes ago, lionheartkc said:

I totally agree with that. My issue isn't with how Gus handles discipline. It's more with the training staff and how they handle injuries, rehab, etc. Maybe it's just a me thing, or the fact that it's one of the few parts of Auburn football that my wife cares to chime in on, since it's her field of expertise, but I have not been impressed. 

Not here to pile on but a diagnosis from a living room TV over the best ortho guy in he world, Dr.  Andrews.  I think i'll go with the Doc on this one.  

Archived