Pettway is a mess

bigbird

9 minutes ago, shabby said:

you'd be wrong. If he is truly struggling with addiction and who truly knows.... then I'm advocating treating him as if he has a disease and not a moral failing.  you can give compassion without enabling and excusing the behavior. 

We’ll have to agree to disagree. Alzheimer’s is a disease. Snorting blow to the point of prematurely ending your collegiate career and potentially losing a shot at ever having a professional career is just plain stupid- ESPECIALLY when you have a child to provide for.  

• Replies 262
  • Created
  • Last Reply
15 minutes ago, shabby said:

you'd be wrong in my case. blessed to be a person in long term recovery.  If he is truly struggling with addiction and who truly knows.... then I'm advocating treating him as if he has a disease and not a moral failing.  you can give compassion without enabling and excusing the behavior. 

Just now saw your edit. I wish you absolutely nothing but the best in your recovery. I mean that. 

No point in keeping this thread alive. There is absolutely zero proof that he has an addiction and at this point, it is nothing but baseless assumptions.

11 hours ago, chimes said:

I know all about climbing out of addiction. I also know how to take responsibility for my own actions and understand that those actions could -and probably will- have negative repercussions. I finally got tired of pissing my life away and decided to take the necessary steps to turn things around.

I could certainly be wrong, but it sounds like most of the people in this thread who are advocating treating Kam like some sort of a victim have never really struggled with drug abuse. 

10 hours ago, shabby said:

you'd be wrong in my case. blessed to be a person in long term recovery.  If he is truly struggling with addiction and who truly knows.... then I'm advocating treating him as if he has a disease and not a moral failing.  you can give compassion without enabling and excusing the behavior. 

Huge congrats to both of you. I wish you continued strength and success. 

Wow, who knew, after reading all ten pages I've learned I was injured the 5 years I was at Auburn

16 hours ago, chimes said:

I know all about climbing out of addiction. I also know how to take responsibility for my own actions and understand that those actions could -and probably will- have negative repercussions. I finally got tired of pissing my life away and decided to take the necessary steps to turn things around.

I could certainly be wrong, but it sounds like most of the people in this thread who are advocating treating Kam like some sort of a victim have never really struggled with drug abuse. 

Everyone's recovery from addiction is different. Congrats to you for choosing sobriety. I do think Auburn offers plenty of opportunity for help but no one can force a person struggling with an addiction to seek treatment, or to abide by the recommendations made in treatment if they do go into rehab. Some people have to fall harder, fall  further, and  more often before they are finally ready for recovery. And unfortunately some people never get there. I personally have never had an addiction but a childhood friend has struggled since he was 15 and I have always been close to his family. He has broken everyone's heart and is sitting in jail now for the rest of his life. His sister recovered from her addiction and she is doing well.

I don’t know much about Kams problem, or anything about it for that matter. But I have the impression it’s not an addiction but rather a refusal to stop smoking weed. I’ve never thought of weed as being addictive. And he may be doing something totally different. 

44 minutes ago, alexava said:

I don’t know much about Kams problem, or anything about it for that matter. But I have the impression it’s not an addiction but rather a refusal to stop smoking weed. I’ve never thought of weed as being addictive. And he may be doing something totally different. 

I look at it this way, a refusal to stop doing something when you know that it poses a significant risk to something you've worked for most of your life is the sign of a larger issue. 

54 minutes ago, alexava said:

5 minutes ago, lionheartkc said:

I look at it this way, a refusal to stop doing something when you know that it poses a significant risk to something you've worked for most of your life is the sign of a larger issue. 

Agree with both of you. I believe the science suggests that weed isn't physically addictive, but- and I say this with respect to those who have dealt with actual physical dependencies and as a former 2-pack-a-day smoker- I'm not sure that the discussion is so different for the purposes of this conversation.

I suppose I'm less interested in the specifics of Pettway's situation, but it's good to hear that Auburn is doing their level best for these guys. Some of them are going to slip through the cracks. I suppose it just feels like it's always key players at Auburn, lol. Duke, Robinson, White, KD, Pettway... sheesh

18 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

Agree with both of you. I believe the science suggests that weed isn't physically addictive, but- and I say this with respect to those who have dealt with actual physical dependencies and as a former 2-pack-a-day smoker- I'm not sure that the discussion is so different for the purposes of this conversation.

I suppose I'm less interested in the specifics of Pettway's situation, but it's good to hear that Auburn is doing their level best for these guys. Some of them are going to slip through the cracks. I suppose it just feels like it's always key players at Auburn, lol. Duke, Robinson, White, KD, Pettway... sheesh

Interesting enough Pettway has been able to at least stay clean throughout the season post his suspension . To me that is what separates it from a true addiction. With an addiction , rarely is someone able to stay clean past an transgression . Key word Rarely. Normally, they hit rock bottom, go to rehab, separate from their everyday livelihood to get support and find mechanisms to help them stay on the right path. I am looking at Josh Gordon and Johnny football. You are at a point that you rationalize doing it , even if it affects your everyday living. I put KP in the honey badger category. Yes, I am speaking from personal experience. If it is a true addiction , I imagine football would be the least of his worries. I also would think CGM would’ve put him on leave from the team. Some sort of intervention would’ve occurred in my eyes . These people aren’t oblivious. I can tell you that underneath the scenes , johnny football issues were well known, especially by his parents and the “important” people in Aggie land, but it was swept underneath the rug. Of course, like any addict, action took precedent and he unravel right before our eyes.

1 hour ago, lionheartkc said:

Not an expert but I know people who smoke weed constantly. They claim it’s not addictive just like me with beer I guess. But they either can’t get or keep jobs due to drug testing. They know this and just accept that they are ok with a life of finishing concrete or cutting grass opposed to putting the pot down and getting a career with insurance and retirement benefits. Knowing these people personally might be why I have the impression Pettway just chose not to comply with what is the obvious best choice for him and his family. This is all speculation on my part. So I am not trying to be argumentative. 

10 minutes ago, alexava said:

Not an expert but I know people who smoke weed constantly. They claim it’s not addictive just like me with beer I guess. But they either can’t get or keep jobs due to drug testing. They know this and just accept that they are ok with a life of finishing concrete or cutting grass opposed to putting the pot down and getting a career with insurance and retirement benefits. Knowing these people personally might be why I have the impression Pettway just chose not to comply with what is the obvious best choice for him and his family. This is all speculation on my part. So I am not trying to be argumentative. 

The distinction I'm making is that, to be at the level required to start for an SEC team took a lot of busting of one's butt to get to where he is. It's a bit different to put in all of that effort and then toss it away at the verge of it all paying off than it is to never get started in the first place. At the same time, he could just be getting awful advice from someone who thinks the NFL doesn't care. We're likely never going to know.

4 hours ago, DAG said:

Interesting enough Pettway has been able to at least stay clean throughout the season post his suspension . To me that is what separates it from a true addiction. With an addiction , rarely is someone able to stay clean past an transgression . Key word Rarely. Normally, they hit rock bottom, go to rehab, separate from their everyday livelihood to get support and find mechanisms to help them stay on the right path. I am looking at Josh Gordon and Johnny football. You are at a point that you rationalize doing it , even if it affects your everyday living. I put KP in the honey badger category. Yes, I am speaking from personal experience. If it is a true addiction , I imagine football would be the least of his worries. I also would think CGM would’ve put him on leave from the team. Some sort of intervention would’ve occurred in my eyes . These people aren’t oblivious. I can tell you that underneath the scenes , johnny football issues were well known, especially by his parents and the “important” people in Aggie land, but it was swept underneath the rug. Of course, like any addict, action took precedent and he unravel right before our eyes.

Duke and Johnny Football have both been diagnosed with bipolar disorder.  Cocaine is a very common drug of abuse for those with bipolar and ADD/ADHD who self medicate. I'm not sure if Duke was abusing drugs but dealing with the high stress of college and playing SEC football was probably too much for an immature kid with a troubled background and a mental disorder. I think Johnny was only recently diagnosed IIRC so he was more than likely self medicating for that reason. Bipolar is manageable but medication compliance is so important. It seems like Duke struggled with a lot of things while he was at Auburn.. For all we know Kam could be dealing with something similar.

3 hours ago, lionheartkc said:

The distinction I'm making is that, to be at the level required to start for an SEC team took a lot of busting of one's butt to get to where he is. It's a bit different to put in all of that effort and then toss it away at the verge of it all paying off than it is to never get started in the first place. At the same time, he could just be getting awful advice from someone who thinks the NFL doesn't care. We're likely never going to know.

This is very inaccurate. There are tons of players who make it starting for an SEC team and then crash & burn. Who says he put in tons of effort? Theres a long long list of players who can get by on talent alone for a time, but it catches up to them because they havent worked hard, and it always came easy. Every team has them virtually every year. Im not saying Pettway worked hard or not, but just because he started at Auburn doesnt mean he put in a lot of hard work. Results are showing to be the opposite, if anything.

Odds are that there are dozens of non-football playing AU students suffering from addictions and are in the process of ruining their lives.  Someone noted that AU has a good rehab  program and I take their word for that but two thoughts come to mind:  

1-. we spend a lot time worrying over one student who has every possible crutch and aid through the athletic department to overcome whatever problems (physical or emotional) and not sure we worry very much about those other AU students who need the same kind of help and probably don't have anywhere near as much on-campus support.   This is a sports forum...but the issues are not directly sports related and I'm not sure why the Athletic Department should be held accountable for what's apparently going on.  

2- AA and about every other program for helping people with these kinds of problems stresses that the person must want to overcome the problem and generally a person can't be pushed into a program against his or her will. 

11 hours ago, AU64 said:

Odds are that there are dozens of non-football playing AU students suffering from addictions and are in the process of ruining their lives.  Someone noted that AU has a good rehab  program and I take their word for that but two thoughts come to mind:  

1-. we spend a lot time worrying over one student who has every possible crutch and aid through the athletic department to overcome whatever problems (physical or emotional) and not sure we worry very much about those other AU students who need the same kind of help and probably don't have anywhere near as much on-campus support.   This is a sports forum...but the issues are not directly sports related and I'm not sure why the Athletic Department should be held accountable for what's apparently going on.  

2- AA and about every other program for helping people with these kinds of problems stresses that the person must want to overcome the problem and generally a person can't be pushed into a program against his or her will. 

Mostly agree with this, but it is worth noting that football- along with all its perks- comes with a lot of unique stresses on a student's time, body and personal life. Again, I know that the good probably outweighs the bad, but a typical student doesn't deal with a lot of the stuff that an athlete does. 

2 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

Mostly agree with this, but it is worth noting that football- along with all its perks- comes with a lot of unique stresses on a student's time, body and personal life. Again, I know that the good probably outweighs the bad, but a typical student doesn't deal with a lot of the stuff that an athlete does

True, but those non-athletes deal with many different problems...how to pay for school for example....and have fewer school provided supports.

Football has stress, but it is a sport and it's a voluntary activity .....and if you look at the frequent tweets and videos, most of the guys enjoy playing the game...even those with no NFL in their future and those with no athletic scholarship support.  

In many ways the athletic department shelters the scholarship athletes from the realities of college life.....tutors, pretty much everything paid for, nice living accommodations and more.  JMO but in some way, all of this hand holding prevents many of them from learning how to cope with what might be called "real life". Even considering that unintended consequence, at some point the athletes have take responsibility for themselves.  

For the record, from what little I knew about Pettway, I liked him, he seemed cheerful in the videos, was good with children on those autograph days....seems to be a nice friendly guy and I hope he can make the NFL (though that does not look good) but if he does not, I sure hope he does not consider that to be the end of his life opportunities. 

On ‎2‎/‎18‎/‎2018 at 9:01 PM, chimes said:

We’ll have to agree to disagree. Alzheimer’s is a disease. Snorting blow to the point of prematurely ending your collegiate career and potentially losing a shot at ever having a professional career is just plain stupid- ESPECIALLY when you have a child to provide for.  

There are always underlying issues behind drug addiction. And once a person abuses drugs organic changes take place so yes.....it is a disease. The vast majority of drug abusers have suffered serious abuse and trauma. It is not a moral failing in most cases. It is a continuation of the trauma that manifests itself in drug abuse.

He is considered a Head Case, it is not just drugs. He is considered a Head Case, it is not just drugs. He is considered a Head Case, it is not just drugs. 

He is considered a Head Case, it is not just drugs. He is considered a Head Case, it is not just drugs. He is considered a Head Case, it is not just drugs. 

Mods can start a new thread with this if needed. Has Sean White graduated? did he have plans to transfer and play his last season? Any teams like say UF or UT needing a quick fix would be interested or is SW too far gone for this?

15 hours ago, alexava said:

Mods can start a new thread with this if needed. Has Sean White graduated? did he have plans to transfer and play his last season? Any teams like say UF or UT needing a quick fix would be interested or is SW too far gone for this?

As of 16 Feb,

"White is listed in Auburn University's directory as a senior studying finance in the College of Business."

https://auburn.247sports.com/Article/Judge-dismisses-public-intoxication-charge-against-former-Auburn-quarterback-Sean-White-115213645

Best I could do.

WDE

I was looking forward to seeing what SW could do for another program. I hope he gets a shot, if he's sorted out his other issues, of course, as football certainly takes a back seat to that.

12 minutes ago, Tiger said:

I was looking forward to seeing what SW could do for another program. I hope he gets a shot, if he's sorted out his other issues, of course, as football certainly takes a back seat to that.

Wouldn't be averse to seeing a degree in finance, either.

56 minutes ago, AUld fAUx@ said:

Wouldn't be averse to seeing a degree in finance, either.

He must complete that very soon to even have a chance to play anywhere else. 

1 hour ago, alexava said:

He must complete that very soon to even have a chance to play anywhere else. 

Wish nothing but the best for Duke, Sean, Pettway, and others... So hope they can get it together!!

Archived